• Published 22nd Dec 2013
  • 2,740 Views, 61 Comments

Pinkie and Bluie Twoie - A Pinkie and Bluie Hearth's Warming - Talon and Thorn



Pinkie Pie and Prince Blueblood have been dating for some time. With Hearth's Warming approaching they decide to host a party for both of their families. But is one house big enough for both the Bluebloods and the Pies?

  • ...
2
 61
 2,740

At home with the Bluebloods

Pinkie stared out of the train’s window watching the rolling fields whoosh by in a blur of green and brown. She really wanted to stick her head out of the window and feel the wind in her mane but she’d done that before and the conductor had yelled at her about getting her head knocked off and that didn’t seem so fun so she satisfied herself with just watching from this side of the window.

She’d never actually gone this far on a train before, Llamrei the primary city of Hyasanguia was over twice as far as Canterlot, her previous longest trip. It had been hard to sort out the time tables and changes but Auntie Scrolls had helped her plan the journey. Now she was on the last leg it was a little boring, maybe her fellow passengers would like to have a sing song? Then she remembered that Trixie and Bluie had both pointed out that not all ponies liked the same thing. Some might just want to read in silence or sleep and as they couldn’t leave the train she shouldn’t be too loud around them. Sometimes she got excited and forgot about things like that.

She sighed and looked down at her dress. Her new dress. When she’d told Rarity about this trip to see Bluie’s parents the fashionista had excused herself for a moment and calmly walked into the back of the shop before screaming for a few minutes that it should have been her. When she’d returned she’d quickly started to talk about wedding dresses and maternity wear. Pinkie wasn’t sure about that sort of thing but the white unicorn seemed to be enjoying herself so Pinkie played along and eventually came out with this dress. It was plainer than she normally favoured, the bodice was her customary pink, apart from a blue and white patch over her heart and frilly black sections over her shoulders. The actual dress was split blue on one side, white on the other with a few pink ribbons attached here and there, the bottom was covered with a ring of the designer’s trade mark gems. Rarity apparently thought it very important that she be wearing house Blueblood’s colours to this meeting.

When Bluie had first mentioned that he wasn’t close to his parents Pinkie had felt a little sad. Everypony should be loved by their parents, unless she was a big disappointment who was useless on the farm, but everypony else anyway. Unusually for her she’d actually spent several hours thinking about Bluie’s situation rather than just doing something about it. Bluie had taught her that, to think about things before she did them. He said he tended to do the same, to act without thinking but Pinkie thought he was much better at thinking than she was. She’d eventually decided that she should visit Bluie’s family personally and invite them to spend Hearth's warming with the two of them as a surprise to him. She was sure she could smooth over whatever problems there were and make them all be friends again and then everypony would be happy, especially Bluie he deserved it.

Bluie didn’t talk about his parents much although he did talk about his province. She suspected he thought she didn’t listen to him, but she did. She knew that Hyasanguia was named after his family or possibly the other way around and that it was mostly covered in farms, the green blurs outside proved that, it exported grain and hay to other provinces. Once she’d learned that she’d checked the bags of flour the Cake’s used and found that they came from Hyasanguia, that kind of faint connection made her feel closer to Bluie. Hyasanguia also had some mines where they dug up iron and coal to make things from, Bluie had gotten them to make her party cannon for her birthday.

A cry echoed down the train shaking her from her thoughts, “Next stop Llamrei, can everypony leaving the train at Llamrei collect their luggage and prepare to leave the train. Next stop Llamrei.”

Llamrai was a funny word thought Pinkie as she collected her small bag from above her head. It was apparently the name of one of Bluie’s ancestors, he seemed to have an awful lot of those, she’d been a general or something. The word looked different to how it sounded, she thought that someone had some spare L’s left over and just stuck them to the front of the name rather than throw them away.

Still considering the word she stepped out of the train and looked around, the city was huge! All around her ponies were bustling to and from the trains, yes trains plural, not like the single train in Ponyville but at least half a dozen at once. Beyond the station sat rank after rank of buildings most of them built out of white marble, (another thing Bluie said Hyasanguia produced) and stretching into the sky above her. She’d been to Canterlot, of course, and that city was probably even bigger but it had been built up and down whereas Llamrei was not just up and down but forwards and backwards and left and right as well.

Pinkie wandered out into the city in a daze. It teemed with so many friends she hadn’t met yet. Her brain immediately started to plan a party for them all, for the whole city! She began to visibly vibrate as she tried to decide which pony to shout a greeting to or shake hooves with first. Then she remembered why she was here, she had to talk to Bluie’s parents, she didn’t have time to say hello to all of the ponies in the city. With effort she pushed her excitement down into a big pink box and wrapped it up with a ribbon and kicked it to the back of her mind to unwrap again later.

A mare on a mission, Pinkie set off into the city.


It didn’t turn out to be very hard to find the Blueblood estate. It was a large compound set near the centre of the city and draped with the blue and white livery of the house of Blueblood. The grounds were expansive with rows of flowers and fruit trees stretching out to the high walls that separated the cities rulers from their people. Pinkie didn’t like the wall much, it didn’t seem right to keep ponies separated when they could be mixed together into a big glob of friendliness.

Despite the rustic charm the area was, like the rest of the city, a hive of activity with guards and servants moving here and there all dressed in the blues and whites of house Blueblood. There was even a guided tour taking place with several ponies being led around, their mouths open admiring the architecture. Trotting down the drive towards the main house Pinkie wanted to join in with them but she knew she had to keep her mind on the job at hoof. Don’t get distracted by the flowers Pie, she told herself, or the other ponies or the smells (is that nutmeg?), mind on the job, mind on the ooof!

Pinkie found herself on the ground before a pair of guardponies, one of them had been knocked to the ground his spear stuck into the wall next to him. The other was advancing towards her with his weapon held before him.

“Uh, hi,” piped up Pinkie springing to her hooves, “Sorry, did I bump into you? I’m looking for Mr and Mrs Blueblood.”

“Mr and Mrs?” said the guard in surprise, “What do you want with Lord and Lady Blueblood?” he asked pointing his weapon at Pinkie in suspicion while his colleague tried to pick himself up, his heavy armour making it difficult.

“I want to invite them to a party, silly!” cried Pinkie pulling one of the invitations she had made from her mane and shook it. Unfolded it was almost as big as a she was and had a picture of a group of ponies standing around a large heart shaped fire. It was covered in glitter and ribbons. The guards gawked at it in shock. “Oh and there was a song to go with it as well,” she cleared her throat and began to jump up and down: -

This is your singing telegram I hope it finds you well

You’re invited to a party ‘cause we think you’re really swell.

It’s Equestria’s birthday so help us celebrate

The cake will be delicious the festivities first rate.

There will be games, and candy, sing a song, cut a rug

And when the parties over we’ll gather ‘round for a group hug

No need to bring a gift being there will be enough

Hearth’s Warming means having fun not getting lots of stuff

It won’t be the same without you so I hope you will say yes

So please oh please RSVP and come and be our guests

The guards continued to stare at her open mouthed for several minutes.

“Why do you think the Bluebloods will want to come to your party?” asked one of the guards carefully as if he thought Pinkie might pull a knife at any moment.

“Because I’m Prince’s very special somepony, duh. We go to fancy parties and he buys me pretty dresses and we cuddle in front of the fire and...” she was suddenly grabbed by the guards who lifted her off of her hooves and bodily carried towards the estates gate, her bag fell unnoticed to one side.

“Another one,” sighed one of the guards, “What is it about the Viscount that attracts the crazy ones?”

“Is this the way to Mr and Mrs Blueblood?” asked Pinkie.

“I don’t know. I guess being a tall, handsome, rich noble, attracts the fillies for some reason,” said the other guard ignoring Pinkie, “But you just have to take the good with the bad.”

The guards came to a halt at the main gate and shoved Pinkie out, “And stay out!” cried one of the guards.

“Maybe you should get some help Miss,” said the other more kindly, “It’s not healthy to make up stories like this.”

“But I’m not making anything up, I really am...” the gate was slammed in her face.

“Ok,” muttered Pinkie, “I’m going to have to do this the hard way.”


Pinkie trotted around the perimeter of the estate, the unfriendly wall surrounded most of it but in addition to the main gate there was also a smaller entrance at the back where a group of ponies, each wearing the familiar blue and white livery of the houses servants, were gathered chatting to each other. Pinkie scanned the area, although the walls were quite tall she thought she could probably scale them, particularly if she could find a trampoline to give her a start, plus trampolines were fun! Once she was on the roof then she could locate the room containing Mr and Mrs Blueblood and drop down from the ceiling on a wire. If there were any guards about then she could use sleeping gas pellets to stop them throwing her out before finally delivering her singing invitation. Mr and Mrs Blueblood would be so delighted that they would come to the party and always want to be part of Bluie’s life for ever and ever.

Now all that was needed was a trampoline, a rope and some knockout gas.

“Hey,” came a call from the building, “Are you the new kitchen helper?”

Pinkie looked up at a frazzled looking orange unicorn in a servants uniform, “Oh, I can help in a kitchen,” she agreed, “I can cook all sorts of things, cakes, donuts, bread, cakes, croissants, cakes, scones, cakes and cakes.”

“I think you said cakes a few times there,” said the unicorn sounding dazed.

“I like cakes!”

“Well it sounds like you’re a little over qualified, we only need you to do the washing up.”

“Oh I can do that as well” said Pinkie nodding excitedly.

“Ok, fine, come with me...”

“I’m Pinkie!”

“That’s nice. Did you customise your uniform, are we allowed to do that?” she pointed at Pinkie’s dress.

“Oh, my friend Rarity made it for me. Isn’t it pretty?”

“I guess that’s alright then,” the two of them walked into the kitchen which was filled with rushing and shouting ponies. Pinkie was led to a side room containing tall piles of dirty dishes. “Here you are, you better get started.” With that the unicorn rushed off.

Metaphorically rolling up her sleeves Pinkie started on the dishes. Maybe once she’s finished she could find somepony who could get her a trampoline to help her get into the building.


It didn’t take Pinkie long to finish the washing up, she had plenty of practice from Sugar Cube Corner. In fact it took slightly less time than it took for her to realise that she was inside the estate and that there didn’t seem to be any guards looking for her. She stuck her head into the main kitchen but everypony seemed to be too busy doing their own thing to pay attention to her so she just bounced out of the kitchen and into the rest of the house.

She crept silently down the corridor, now she was in the house she just had to find out where Mr and Mrs Blueblood were and her mission would be over. However, she didn’t know how to find them, normally she’d just ask somepony but that might result in her being thrown out again and then she’d have to look for a trampoline to get back in again and that could take hours. So she would have to be extra stealthy and make sure nopony saw her.

“Excuse me, are you lost?” came a masculine voice from behind her.

“A little, I’m looking for Mr and Mrs Blueblood and I don’t know where they are, I would ask someone but I’m trying to be sneaky,” she replied continuing to creep down the corridor.

“Why are you being sneaky?” asked the voice with some amusement.

“Well the guards threw me out last time. I don’t know why, I only tried to deliver a party invitation,” she swung her head around hawkishly looking for any sign of her lover’s parents.

“What type of party?”

“A Hearth’s Warming party. I’ll be the best ever.”

“That sounds fun, I’ll be working this Hearth’s Warming though.” The voice sounded sad, Pinkie wanted to give it a hug, but it was only a voice, so there would be nothing to hold on to.

“That’s not fair. What do you do?”

“I’m an officer in the guard.” Pinkie came to an abrupt stop and spun around, there stood a unicorn stallion of approximately her age, maybe even a year or two younger. He had a blond mane cut short and a dark blue coat. He was short and heavily muscled and was dressed in a uniform Pinkie thought she had seen among the guard in Canterlot. His cutie mark was a castle tower.

“Hi!” cried Pinkie, “I’m Pinkie Pie, pleased to meet you! Could you sort of not throw me out? Maybe even thrown me in instead?”

“Hi,” said the stallion with a smile, “I’m Lieutenant Marshal of the royal guard.” He looked bemused for a second then his eyes lit up, “Your Heir’s mare friend!”

“No I’m Bluie’s mare friend, I’ve never heard of a pony called Heir.”

“Heir is my nickname for Prince,” said Marshal with a grin, “You know as in the Heir and the Spare? Of course once I found out how long he spends on his mane each morning that took on a whole other meaning.”

Pinkie thought for a moment, she was normally good with names, “You’re Marshal Blueblood, you’re Bluie’s brother!” she rushed forwards to give the stallion a hug.

“Guilty as charged. Heir didn’t tell me you were visiting, or that you were so beautiful.”

“Really? He says that sort of thing around me all the time. Sometimes I wonder if he’s looking at another mare.” She continued in a stage whisper. “I’m sort of here as a surprise to Bluie. He didn’t think his parents would want to visit for Hearth’s warming so I thought I’d come here and persuade them.”

Marshal frowned, “I’m not sure if that’s a good idea, Mother and Father can be somewhat overpowering.”

“Of course it’s a good idea, Hearth’s Warming is all about families and coming together.”

“I suppose,” said Marshal still looking unsure, “Ok, I’ll take you to them. I only just arrived myself.”

The stallion led Pinkie through the twisting corridors of the mansion until they came to a large set of double doors. Marshal threw them open to reveal a grand dining room with a table long enough to seat several dozen ponies although at the moment only two were present. At one end of the table sat a unicorn stallion in his late middle age, his family relationship to Prince Blueblood was clear, they even shared the same mark. Pinkie remembered Baron Blueblood from his time as the Night Court representative to Ponyville. From his white coat and general build he was obviously an older version of his son although somewhat rotund her was still handsome. The most significant difference between him and his son was his mane whereas Prince’s was blond his father’s was silver. The source of Prince’s hair clearly sat at the far end of the table. Prince Blueblood’s mother, Prestige, was a unicorn at least a decade younger than her husband, her blond mane cascaded down her back and merging into her similarly yellow coat. She had sharp features seemingly made entirely out of edges and her flank was embossed with the shape of a half mask.

“Marshal, you’re late,” announced Prestige harshly, then her tone softened, “But it’s nice to see you dear.” She noticed Pinkie peeking around Marshal’s bulk, “And who is this?”

“Hi, I’m Pinkie,” she announced.

A look of shock passed over Prestige’s face. “Nice to meet such a fine figure of a filly,” noted Duke with a smile, “What brings you here?”

“She is the common trollop that your son is associating with,” said Prestige icily, “Which you would know if you bothered to talk to him once in a while or even read his private correspondence rather than just his official reports.” She turned back to Pinkie, “Now if you’re expecting to extort money from us, you are going to be disappointed. If you claim that any child is his you better have some very good evidence, we have excellent lawyers. Few of the papers will even touch such a story.”

“A bastard? I thought I taught Prince to take more care than that,” muttered Baron.

“Because you have such a good record on that front,” noted Prestige.

“I’m not pregnant silly and I don’t need any money. I just want you to visit us for Hearth’s Warming. I had an invitation but I dropped it, Oh but there’s a song..”

This is your singing telegram I hope it finds you well

You’re invited to a party ‘cause we think you’re really swell.

It’s Equestria’s birthday so help us celebrate

The cake will be delicious the festivities first rate.

“Stop! Stop!” cried Prestige. “A Hearth’s Warming party at our son’s townhouse? Out of the question. We are hosting our own party here, important ponies from all over the province and beyond will be present, we cannot possibly cancel it. Besides he has already told us he would be too busy to visit this year.” The mare looked hurt at her son’s behaviour.

“Oh, that sounds like a lot of fun but wouldn’t it be nicer to have a smaller party with Bluie and me? Hearth’s Warming is all about family after all.”

“Passing off a party where he could make such good connections, that son of mine is useless,” muttered Baron.

“I think the least you can do is invite Pinkie to dinner, she has come a long way,” said Marshal walking towards his parents, “She is almost family.”

Prestige looked as if she had swallowed something tasting very nasty, “I very much doubt that will happen.”

Apparently taking joy at his wife’s uncomfortableness Baron signalled to a servant who had waited unnoticed at the side of the room, “Actually that sounds a fine idea, set another place will you.” He smiled at the yellow mare who glared back.

“Oh, thanks,” said Pinkie bounding into a chair near the centre of the table while the servants started to place cutlery in front of her. Marshal walked around the table, giving his mother a quick nuzzle as he passed before sitting opposite the pink earth pony.

Now the entire party was seated the servants started to bring in plates of soup and placed them before the dinners. Pinkie took a deep breath inhaling the scent of the starter, it was good, she bent down to lap at it then paused and looked at Prestige and Baron. The former was staring at her while the latter was levitating a spoonful of soup into his mouth. Her eyes scanned the table and noticed the solid silver cutlery. Usually only unicorns used such tools to eat with, she noticed that her set was attached to elastic hoops, she’d seen these at some of the parties Bluie had taken her to. With a sense of satisfaction she strapped a spoon onto one hoof and began to shovel the starter into her mouth, she was tempted to stick her tongue out at Prestige but stopped herself, the older mare was Bluie’s mother, she couldn’t be all that bad.

“So Marshal, how are things in the guard,” asked Prestige as the servants brought in the main course.

“Well things are a lot busier since I graduated, given the whole Corona situation everyponies on edge.”

“Are you sure you won’t be able to make it back for Hearth’s Warming?”

“Sorry, as the new colt I get all the worst shifts. Maybe next year.”

“You’d think your father or brother would be able to do something about that,” said Prestige pointedly.

“Mother, I want to make my own way not have Heir or father helping me out all the time.”

“We just want the best for you dear, it’s not like the other officers don’t have patrons to help them out. Isn’t that right Baron?”

“What?” said the stallion who had apparently not been listening, “Oh, yes,” he sighed, “It’s just the way the game’s played.”

“What do you think Pinkie?” asked Prestige narrowing her eyes at the pink mare, ”Should ponies let their friends and families help them with their careers?”

“Oh yes, friends should always help each other out,” the younger mare nodded.

“I expect being with Prince has helped your career a lot hasn’t it? What is it you do?”

“I’m a cook! I’m learning to make the very best cakes and goodies in Ponyville, maybe all of Equestria.”

“And Prince helps you with that?” she sounded unsure, then certainty returned to her voice “He arranges for you to cook for his social functions? Introduces you to other nobles who might employ you?”

“Oh no, he tries what I make and tells me what he thinks of it. Did you know tabasco sauce cupcakes don’t taste very nice? Well Trixie liked them but Bluie wasn’t so keen, of course he says that I’m his favourite sweet treat so sometimes I cover myself with cream and he eats...”

“I don’t need to know what you make my son do to you!” screeched Prestige.

Both Baron and Marshal hid their laughter behind raised hooves.

“Okey Dokey Lokie,” said Pinkie, “Are you sure you don’t want to come to my Hearth's Warming party? This is nice,” she gestured at the small slice of cheesecake that had just been placed in front of her before inhaling it, ”Yumm! But I’m sure I can do better,” despite her chair not being on wheels she somehow managed to slide it to Prestige's end of the table, “The secret ingredient is smiles,” she whispered. “A happy chef is a good chef.”

“I do like a girl with a healthy appetite,” mumbled Baron, a dreamy look on his face, “How about breaking your diet for a change Prestige dear?”

“I’m sure you’d prefer to spend Hearth's Warming with Heir rather than another dull party here mother,” added Marshal.

“I.. well..,” muttered the yellow mare looking confused.

“How about we take this discussion away from the dinner table,” suggested her husband, “I could do with a drink.”

“You can always do with a drink,” scowled Prestige, “But very well.”

Pinkie hopped off her seat and started to walk towards the door, she made an odd chinking sound as she walked. She started to do a little dance.

“Thief!” squawked Prestige pointing at Pinkie.

Pinkie looked surprised then looked at her hooves, the cutlery was still attached to her fore hooves, “Ooops! I forgot about these.”

“Trying to steal the cutlery right in front of me! The nerve!” Prestige stamped up to her and used her magic to snatch the implements from her.

“Mother, stop overreacting,” cried Marshal.

“I knew she was nothing but a thief and gold digger. Guards!” she called.

“Oh, hi guys!” said Pinkie as the same two guards as she had met earlier seemed to materialise next to her.

“Throw her out this instant,” demanded the yellow mare.

“So are you coming to the party?” asked Pinkie as she was once again picked up and carried through the house. “Do you still have the invitation?” she asked her captors.

Without replying they threw her out of the front gate, she bounced a few times before coming to a stop apparently unharmed. “So is that a maybe?” she asked.


Once again Pinkie hopped around the estate to try and find an alternate entrance. This time even the rear entrance was well guarded and the guards had apparently been warned about her, they went on alert as soon as she came close. Time for plan B, find a trampoline. She looked up, the sky was beginning to darken and a team of weather pegasus were moving rain filled clouds into position. Maybe it would be best to wait until tomorrow, Mrs Blueblood might have stopped being such a grouchy pants by then.

Although she hadn’t been to Llamrei, before it didn’t take to long for her to find a hotel. It was a majestic building made of white marble stretching upwards for several floors. It looked rather expensive, she hoped he had enough bits, she had put most of her spending money in her bag. One leg quested for the container before she realised it wasn’t there. She spun around in a circle looking for it, then remembered that she had lost it when she had first been ejected from the Blueblood estate. She’s lost most of her money and worst almost her entire streamer supply! She rifled through her mane to find her purse, it wasn’t very heavy, she counted through it, just over a dozen bits. It also contained her train tickets so she could get home, although her return train wasn’t due until early afternoon tomorrow. There was another piece of paper in there, one that Bluie had given her, but she couldn’t use it, it was special. Oh well maybe the place wasn’t as expensive as it looked.

The receptionist looked up as the pink pony with the poufy hair bounced up to her.

“Hi!” said Pinkie, “How much is your cheapest room?”

“That would be one hundred bits a night, Miss,” said the receptionist in a voice that suggested she doubted Pinkie could afford it.

“What if I sleep on the floor? Or maybe hop in and out of bed all night so I only spend an hour or two there?”

“I’m afraid it would still be one hundred bits,” repeated the receptionist.

Pinkie pulled out a purse and counted the contents again.

The receptionist feeling a pang of sympathy leant across the desk, “Look, kid, maybe you could find something a bit cheaper down on the east side. Some of the places over there aren't too bad.”

“Thanks!” said Pinkie rushing towards the door. Just as she got there rain started to pour down outside, without stopping Pinkie continued into the downpour. The receptionist looked on biting her lip.

Pinkie spent several hours bouncing from hotel to hotel through the city but they were all too expensive. She had spent most of the money she did have buying donuts in a cafe but they had closed for the night and she’d had to leave, then she’d tried to huddle under an awning of a nice shop but the owner had told her she couldn’t stay there so she’d moved on. Finally her hooves aching, soaked to the bone and her smile attached to her face only by the thinnest of threads she slumped down in a dark alleyway next to a bin which gave her the slightest bit of cover from the rain. At least there was no pony telling her to move now. In fact most ponies had cleared the streets and the few that remained scurried past keeping their eyes averted.

Pinkie sighed and then shivered as a trickle of rain water from some guttering above her splashed onto her back. It wasn’t supposed to have gone like this, she was supposed to have met Bluie’s parents and they would have read her invitation and listened to her song and seen how silly it was not to spend Hearth’s Warming with their son and not be jerks so she could have spent the night in a nice warm bed and everpony would be happy. Still, she thought hugging herself tighter, it would be light in another four or five hours and Granny Pie always said things looked better in the daylight and then she could figure out how to get Mr and Mrs Blueblood to listen to her and everything would be alright, just another four or five hours. She wished Bluie were here with her, then the cold wouldn't be so cold or the rain so rainy.

She was suddenly aware of the sound of hooves approaching, “Hey, there cutie,” came a masculine voice. She looked up two seedy looking stallions, one an earth pony one a pegasus, slowly walking down the alley towards her.

“Hi!” she squeaked, maybe she could make some friends after all! But a small rarely used part of her warned that she didn’t want friends like these.

“Hey, what are you doing here? Nowhere to go?” asked the earth pony.

“I meant to get a hotel but I didn’t have the bits,” she explained, “I’m Pinkie Pie by the way.”

“Pinkie, that’s a very pretty name,” said the pegasus smiling to reveal several rotted teeth, “Say Pinkie, do you want to come to a party?”

“Party?” she hopped to her hooves, “I love parties.”

“That’s good,” said the earth pony grinning a grin better sited to a wolf than a herbivorous pony, “The three of us can party all night long.”

Pinkie backed away slightly looking worried, she loved parties and both of her new friends were smiling but it didn’t seem right to her. She bit her lip, “Maybe I should stay here.”

“Who’d want to stay out here in the rain? We can take you where it’s warm,” said the pegasus reaching out with a hoof and grabbing Pinkie by the arm while his friend circled behind her.

“I’m afraid that filly is with me gentlemen,” came a third voice, the ally’s other occupants turned to see a large white stallion carrying a cane and wearing a rain cloak.

“Bluie?” asked Pinkie a smile flashing across her face.

“In a manner of speaking,” said Baron pulling down the hood of his cloak.

“Push off old man,” said the earth pony, “We found her first.”

His more observant friend let go of Pinkie, who slumped to the ground shaking in shock, and started to tug at the earth pony’s arm, “Dude, that’s Baron Blueblood.”

“So? That just means he’s loaded, we can take him and then we’ll be made.”

“I don’t think so,” commented the older unicorn, with lightning speed his cane flashed out and caught the earth pony on the side of the head knocking him over. Deciding discretion was the better part of valour the Pegasus bolted into the sky. The earth pony staggered to his hooves and looked back and forth between the unicorn and his cane before running after his friend.

“Are you alright Miss Pie?” asked Baron unclipping his cape and gently wrapping it around the shivering mare.

Pinkie flopped forwards into a hug with Barron, “You..You.. kn-know I don’t think they really wanted to go to a party,” stuttered the shocked pink pony.

“Come on, my coach isn’t very far, let’s get you out of this rain,” said Baron leading her away.


Once in his vehicle Baron had opened the bar built into the back and poured Pinkie a small measure of brandy and himself a rather larger drink. “You know,” he said as the coach pulled away, “I didn’t think I had that in me.”

“Thank you,” said Pinkie holding her drink between her hooves staring into it but not imbibing.

“It’s not me you should be thanking it's Marshal. He was worried about what would happen to you when he found out the guards had your bag. Why is it full of streamers?”

“In case of streamer emergencies of course,” Pinkie looked up and smiled although it was a wan thing.

Baron took a gulp of his drink, “Fair enough. Anyway he finally persuaded me that we should try to find you before anything bad happened. We spit up, he’s searching the outer districts, but this," he indicated the compass mark on his flank, "found you first. Nothing bad did happen did it?” he asked with concern.

“No, you saved me,” she said with a somewhat watery smile.

“I had hoped you’d get a room somewhere, but I guess you didn’t have any money.”

“Well, I did have this,” she produced her purse and took out a piece of paper, “But I couldn’t have used it, it’s special.”

Baron looked at the paper in astonishment, “This is a cheque from Prince, it’s for thousands of bits, you could have used this to stay anywhere in the city.”

“No I couldn’t, look at the back,” she passed the cheque to him, there was writing on the back, he recognised it as his son’s.

“This doesn’t invalidate it.”

“Blue gave it to me for my birthday, he told me to buy something, but I could never give it away.”

Baron slowly read the message

‘Dear Pinkie

I want you to be happy on this your special day and all of your days

Why?

Because you were there when I needed you the most.

Because you make me happy

Because you are fun to be with.

Because you remind me I can be a good pony.

And most importantly, because I love you.

Bluie’

“Oh,” was all he could say before passing the cheque back to Pinkie who carefully folded it up and placed it back in her purse.

The Baron poured himself another drink and stared at the rain pouring down outside the coach for a moment before turning to Pinkie and staring at her big blue eyes “Does he really love you?”

As he watched the fire seemed to return to Pinkie’s eyes. “I think so, although probably not as much as I do, because I love him this much,” she spread her forelegs as wide as they would go, her drink fell to the ground to be caught by Baron’s aura and added to his own, “Probably more.”

“I can’t say I know much about love.”

“Of course you do. You love your wife and children don’t you?”

“Ah, Miss Pie, if only things were that simple. Did you know that my brother married for love?”

“That’s wonderful, did he live happily ever after?”

“No he was disowned by my father, lived in poverty for the rest of his life and died in a random pointless accident.”

“But was he happy?”

“What?”

“Was he and his wife happy?”

“I.. I think so,” muttered Baron.

“Then that’s all that matters. We all die eventually, well except maybe Luna, but all that matters is that we’re happy while we're alive.”

“That sounds like a very good philosophy Miss Pie.”

“Thanks.”

“Do you really think he can be a good pony?” said Baron changing the topic and taking another drink.

“Of course, everypony can.” She paused for a second, “Who are we talking about?”

“Prince.”

“Of course, everypony wants to be a good pony, it’s just that some ponies get it wrong. It’s not like I can make him a good pony, he does that himself, I just point him in the right direction occasionally.”

“Then maybe Prince can be a far far better pony than I ever was.” He paused for a moment. “I tried so hard to make him a bad pony, I thought I’d succeeded.”

A look of utter confusion passed over Pinkie’s face, she turned her head to one side.

“I started with so many good intentions I’d just became part of the Night Court you see, finally out from under the old bast... my father’s hoof. I was going to make a difference, make everything better, become Luna’s favourite, reclaim my families honour, everything. It seemed so simple. Then time dragged on and I found out that things aren't that simple, I had to compromise to get anything done, then I had to cheat and lie because that’s what everypony else did. Then all of a sudden I’d been there ten years and I wasn’t fighting against the system, I was the system. It was disappointing, and it hurt and I crawled into a bottle to sooth the pain. By then I was a father and I didn’t want my son to go through the same thing, I wanted to protect him. So I started to train him to do what he would need to get ahead in the court, I didn’t whitewash it, I told him just what the court was like, what you had to do to get ahead. He was such an apt pupil he soaked it all up like a sponge. Then one day I turned around and he was me, only younger and a bit less handsome,” he smiled bitterly, “And I saw what I’d done to him and I hated him and hated myself for what I’d doing it to him.” He turned away in shame hiding the tears flowing from his eyes.

Pinkie reached over and put her hoof on the stallion’s. “You were just trying to help your son, you just did it a bit wrong but it’s alright, Bluie is fine, I’m sure he forgives you.”

The older stallion sobbed quietly for a moment before Pinkie drew him into a hug. “Don’t be sad, Marshal’s turned out to be a wonderful pony as well, you should be proud of both of them.”

Baron gave a sad smile “He’s not my son you know.”

“Who?” said Pinkie in surprise.

“Marshal. It was part of our marriage agreement, Prestige would bear one child with me, my heir. After that we’d stay together officially but we were both free to do what, and whom,” he laughed a little without humour, “We wanted. I have no idea who Marshal’s father is, I suspect a member of the military, Prestige does love a stallion in uniform. Oh, I’ve hardly been faithful, there are at least two of my bastards running around that I’m aware of, you might even know one of them, at least Prestige's been more subtle than me. You see marriage is just an agreement, it’s got nothing to do with love, it’s better that way, cuts down on ambiguities,” he said bitterly.

“I don’t think you believe that.”

“Why not?”

“Because you love your sons and want the best for them.”

“I told you Marshall isn’t mine.”

“Being related to someone’s got nothing to do with family, or love. The Cakes are sort of my parents and I love them and they love me, even when I test out my party mortar inside and mix up the streamers with the cake batter. Once the little Cakes are fully baked they’ll be my brother and sister even if we don’t share blood.”

Duke knocked back the last of his drink and sat brooding for a few minutes, slowly a smile spread over his face. “I’m not sure if you’re right Miss Pie, but I want you to be.”

“Bluie said the same thing.” The coach came to a halt outside the manor house.

“Come on Pinkie, we better get you dried off before you catch your death” said Baron leading her into the house.


“Prestige you have to listen to this mare,” announced Baron as he threw open the doors to the bedroom he shared with his wife. She was lying awake in her bed set against the far wall.

“What are you talking about?” she spied a freshly washed and dried Pinkie peering around the door. “What is that creature doing here?” she screeched getting out of bed.

“Talking some sense into me, that was the best conversation I’ve had for years.” said Baron rounding his own bed and walking towards his wife.

“Oh, Baron did she get to you as well,” she sneered, “She just had to bat her eyelashes or spread her..”

“No,” said her husband with finality, “She just made me see that Prince is a far better stallion than I thought and you know what, so am I.”

Prestige sniffed the air “You're drunk,” she said.

“Yes, but that doesn’t make me wrong. Prestige, you may never have loved me but after living together for all these years you should at least recognise when I’m telling the truth, it’s rare enough.”

“She’s just another gold digger trying to get her hooks into our son.”

“No she’s not! I found her in the streets soaked to the bone, she had a cheque from Blueblood on her but she wouldn’t cash it.”

“Why?” Prestige looked like the bottom was dropping out of her world.

“Because our fool of a son had written that he loved her on the back and that was more important to her than her own comfort and safety. If I hadn’t found her when I did she would have been… Something very bad would have happened to her.”

“She could have set it all up, it could have been a trick,” cried Prestige desperately.

“It wasn’t,” said her husband shaking his head. "Pinkie show her the cheque."

Somewhat shyly Pinkie once again opened her purse and passed the small piece of paper to the yellow unicorn. Prestige eyes widened as she read its contents. "This... He.... Loves," she mumbled.

Baron stepped forwards putting a arm over his wife's back, "She's undoing everything I did to him."

"But she a nopony from nowhere she wont help his social position."

"I know that you would much rather have your children happy than successful despite what you might say."

Prestige froze in place for a moment looking backwards and forwards between Pinkie and Baron, then she collapsed forwards towards the young mare, “Oh, Oh, I’m so sorry my dear. I’ve misjudged you terribly, haven’t I?”

Pinkie leaned forwards and hugged the older mare, “Don’t worry, you just made a mistake, nothing bad happened.”

“What can I ever do to make it up to you?”

Pinkie thought for a moment then rushed for her bag, she pulled out a large glitter covered piece of card and thrust it towards Prestige. The she began to bounce up and down excitedly.

“This is your singing telegram I hope it finds you well

You’re invited to a party ‘cause we think you’re really swell.

It’s Equestria’s birthday so help us celebrate

The cake will be delicious the festivities first rate.

There will be games, and candy, sing a song, cut a rug

And when the party’s over we’ll gather ‘round for a group hug

No need to bring a gift being there will be enough

Hearth’s Warming means having fun not getting lots of stuff

It won’t be the same without you so I hope you will say yes

So please oh please RSVP and come and be our guests”

Prestige looked astonished for a second then a smile spread across her face, “We accept,” she said.