• Published 15th Dec 2013
  • 16,017 Views, 862 Comments

Cheesecake and Changelings - Dropbear



After an alarming trip through a black hole in his fridge, Nigel M. Chalmers finds himself in a colourful peaceful country populated with a throng of friendly ponies... in the body of one of their nation's worst enemies. Of course it all goes to

  • ...
53
 862
 16,017

Public Indecency

“I’m not too sure about this; I don’t really do the ‘fancy’ look.”

Nigel continued to grumble while Midnight fussed around him, straightening up the deep blue bowtie around his neck. A pair of very amused mares watched from the clothing store’s counter, giggling at every complaint and resulting response from Midnight.

“If we want to go to ‘Le Hanger de Cheval’, then we need to meet the dress requirements. It’s the most upstanding cafe in the entire country, and all of the most regal families eat there all of the time.”

Nigel turned around to look at the rest of him. Apart from the bowtie and some plain black shoes, he was wearing absolutely nothing. The fact that he was not allowed to enter without a tie, but was still allowed to flash everyone was just utterly confusing. These equines needed to work out if they wanted to wear clothing or not.

“Look back at me,” Midnight ordered, Nigel rolling his eyes while she did some final touches. “There, now you look like a noble yourself!” He grumbled at her cheery announcement, why couldn’t they just visit a pub or something?

“I’m still ninety-eight percent naked, how is one bowtie noble?” he complained, a giggle and a whisper coming from behind him.

“You’re right, he does complain just like a stallion.”

His attempts to shoot the pair of attendants a glare was halted by Midnight when she pulled his head back around to look in the full-length mirror in front of them.

“See? You look very handsome.” Midnight rubbed his back with a wing. “There’s no need to be so sour about it, Mr Grumpy.” She giggled and gave him a quick nuzzle, before she pulled away to browse the dresses. He was left to stare at himself in the mirror, a frown on his face.

‘I’m going through a lot of effort to eat at a place when I likely can’t even eat their food,’ he thought, examining himself in the mirror. ‘Stupid bowtie.’

“Nigel, what do you think of this one?” At Midnight’s call some of his annoyance bled away. She was holding up a dress that matched his tie with a wing, and she was grinning at him. “I like it, and it’s not that expensive either.”

“It does suit you, I guess,” he supplied, never really being that good with clothing. “If you like it, then buy it.”

“I can’t buy it without trying it on,” she replied, before lowering her voice and smiling slyly. “And I’ll need help putting it on, if you don’t mind.”

‘Geez, she really has a large appetite for more than just food.’ Casting a glance back towards the attendants, who were whispering to each other still, he advanced towards the awaiting Midnight. For attendants, they certainly didn’t do much to help.

“Come on,” Midnight whispered with dress in wing. “Let’s go into the dressing room before they catch on.”

“You have dressing rooms?” Nigel hissed. “What, are you afraid that someone will see you putting on your underwear or something?”

“Underwear?” Midnight questioned with a tilt of her head, answering that question.

“Never mind,” he sighed. “It’s nearly twelve, so we better hurry up.”

With a snicker, she grabbed his foreleg with her spare wing and pulled him towards a set of plain wooden doors at the back of the store. They quickly ducked into the middle of the three, the small room barely large enough to fit both of them.

Midnight locked the door, grinning while she sat down on her rump, tucked her wings in and held her forelegs up in the air. Catching on, he clumsily removed the dress from the hanger and stood up on his hind legs. He nearly toppled over when Midnight used her wings to help him remain upright, both of them starting to rub his sides before heading down lower. Given his upright position and the fact that she was sitting down in front of him, he really hoped that she didn’t go too low.

The knowing look in her eyes and her grin indicated that she didn’t just realise this, but was counting on it. He tried to lower the dress over her forelegs, but Midnight quickly blocked his attempts with them.

“Midnight, we don’t have time for this,” he warned, shuddering when the wings went down in response. They were well and truly on his arse now, and all of the focusing in the world couldn’t halt a natural reaction.

“I can put it on later,” she told him, grabbing his forelegs with her own and pulling them down to rest on her shoulders. “Besides, I’d hate to get it dirty.”


“I don’t think we’re going to be welcome back there anytime soon.”

“Relax Nigel, there are plenty of other clothing stores in the city.”

Midnight, now wearing her dress and some plain black shoes, pulled him along and guided him down the street. After helping her to put on the dress, a process that ended up taking half-an-hour, Nigel had seemed a little off. Thinking back, he was acting strange even before they had purchased their cloths and received knowing glances from the shop attendants. She hoped that the lunch would fix things, whatever issues they were.

Trotting on the cobbled road with him at her side, she noticed that they were getting a lot of looks, most of them not friendly. Remembering that this was the more upper-class side of the city, Midnight assumed that most of the glaring nocturnes were from old families and anchored in their traditions, traditions that didn’t look down too kindly on inter-species relationships, or any other sort of relationship that didn’t exist to preserve noble bloodlines.

Glancing at Nigel, she saw that he wasn’t really paying attention to the raised noses or judging gazes. He seemed lost in thought, and she feared that she had done something wrong. Had she been too direct in the dressing room, and he was uncomfortable with it? She knew that he had wanted to take things slowly, and it was possible that despite what he was saying he was instead still caught up over her being a different species. Why would he lie though?

‘To protect my feelings,’ she thought, sending another glance his way. This time he noticed and broke out of his trance.

“Is something wrong?” he asked, Midnight stumbling to find a way to tell him.

“N-no, nothing’s wrong,” she tried, before sighing. “I mean, it’s just that you’re acting different.” She lowered her voice, not wanting to risk a noble overhearing and correctly interpreting her next question. “Did it have something to do with what we did in the dressing room?”

For a moment he paused, but then he shook his head.

“No, it’s got nothing to do with that. I would appreciate it if we attempted to do those sort of things at home instead of in a public area though.” Suppressing the urge to tell him that she found it exciting, not that their regular sessions weren’t, Midnight simply nodded and waited for him to continue. “The problem is that I’m thinking about the future, and what we’re going to do.”

“Oh,” she replied, in truth having the same worries herself. “Well, I’ll still be the same old Midnight for most of the time. Nocturnes and ponies don’t really show much evidence of a pregnancy until the last few months.”

“Really?” he inquired with a raised eye. “Don’t you… get fat?”

She giggled, finding it cute that he was so careful asking that question. In all honesty, she was incredibly lucky to have been blessed with her mother’s ability to eat mountains of food and still remain slender.

“I’ll get a little thicker,” she explained, remembering the lessons she had sat through in school. “But I won’t get really fat until the end. That’s when I’ll need you to lend me a hoof to get out of bed.”

“Please, all I’ll have to do is cook some breakfast and you’ll find a way out of there.”

She couldn’t help but laugh, drawing more gazes from those that they passed on their way. A wing was placed over his, and she drew him closer for a nuzzle. She smiled slightly when she heard a gasp from her right; evidently some noblemare had become offended and was panicking.

“Is that the place up ahead?” he asked, Midnight breaking from the nuzzle to look at the oncoming buildings. He was right, a fancy restaurant bustling with the midday rush sitting next to something called a ‘Haberdashery’, that’s how fancy it was.

“That’s it,” she answered with a grin.

“I thought it was a café?” he questioned, halting in his tracks. “Not a three story restaurant.”

“Will you just relax? Think of it as our first date, and the upper floors are only for very important ponies like council members. We’ll be on the ground floor, and I’ve heard that it’s actually a pleasant place despite appearances.”

“Then why do we need to get all dressed up?”

She rolled her eyes, he still wasn’t over it, was he? It was time for the blunt method. She smiled while moving her wing towards his rump, relying on his embarrassment to prompt movement.

“Midnight?” he questioned, still staring ahead. “Why is your wing touching me there?”

“Well, if you don’t want to move and have lunch, then we’ll just have to skip it and move on to the next step.”

“In public? You wouldn’t,” he replied. She gave him a look that said that she wasn’t going to back down, and while she rubbed she could see him squirm. This made her feel a little guilty, she knew that he had a thing for her wings and it was a little unfair. “Fine, fine,” he surrendered, starting to walk forward. “The lengths you’ll go to for food…”

The guilt increased, and Midnight removed her wing to walk with him. This wasn’t how she had imagined it going, with him in this mood of his.

‘Maybe I should just dial it back for a while,’ she decided. ‘He’s probably just concerned about the baby.’

They reached the doors of the restaurant without another word, more stares meeting them when they passed through the glass doors and into the lobby. A thin stallion wearing a red vest had just finished usurping through a pair of jewellery-covered nocturnes before he turned to look at them.

His yellow eyes narrowed when he spotted them next in line and his thin moustache quivered, the black facial hair matching his slicked-back mane. Midnight took the lead, trotting up to the wooden podium and giving him her best smile.

“Hello,” she greeted. “We were after a table for two, is there one open?”

“Do you have a reservation?” he asked in a snooty accent, fixing Nigel with a stern gaze.

“No,” Midnight answered.

“I thought as much,” he muttered under his breath, Midnight’s brow furrowing. Still, she didn’t say anything while he looked down over the lists in front of him, not seeming to put in much effort.

“I am sorry, madam, but we have no free tables.” Closing the list, he once again peered at Nigel. “Such a shame.”

Midnight glared at him, pointing a hoof out towards the main restaurant behind him. “I can see free tables from here, so what’s the real reason?” A part of her knew why they were being refused service, but she had honestly thought better from her fellow nocturnes. In response to the query, the stallion straightened his black bowtie.

“We are a respectable venue, and we serve respectable clients. How do you expect the High Council Members themselves to enjoy our fabulous cooking while sitting across from… that?”

Midnight turned a bright red, about to grab the pony and strangle him with his own stupid moustache.

“I say, what oafish behaviour to show an ambassador here on the Council’s suggestion.” Midnight turned to Nigel in shock, the changeling staring down his nose at the attendant like he was born to do it. The attendant was equally surprised, the stallion spluttering. “I was told this was a place to experience the finest cuisine that your country had to offer, and instead I get a peasant, a filthy peasant, insulting the second son of the Emperor of Horsebekistan.”

“Second son of the Emperor…” the attendant muttered, before waving his hooves desperately. “No, no I’m sorry monsieur; it’s all been a misunderstanding. I was talking about… the dirty, lowbred stallion behind you!” Both Nigel and Midnight looked behind them.

“There’s nothing there,” Nigel continued with a pompous tone matching the attendant’s.

“He left as soon as I called him out,” the stallion covered. “What a good thing as well, now I can find you a table right away!”

“That would be most exemplary. Please ensure that it is rather secluded, I wish to discuss matters of the state with the beautiful young mare that is assigned to guide me around the city.”

“Yes sir, we have a table just like that ready and prepared, with a compliantly house wine as well.”

“Good,” Nigel responded, before lowering his voice. “Throw in some extra breadsticks and I shall forget your previous slurs and your moronic excuse.”

The stallion nodded quickly, gesturing towards a waitress passing by him. “Dawn, hurry and show these two honoured guests to table number thirty-three, and fetch them a house wine.”

The waitress, also wearing a red vest, glanced between the attendant and Nigel with confusion. A glare from the stallion prompted her into action though, and she quickly bowed her head. “This way, sir and madam.” Nigel and Midnight followed her, the attendant sighing behind them.

“Dodged that one,” Midnight heard him say, his fancy accent no longer there. She ignored it and focused on the waitress ahead, the other diners that witness them staring instead of glaring. She guessed that they thought that she and Nigel were important since they had gotten past the front desk, something that brought a smile to her face.

She had to stifle a gasp when the waitress directed them to a set of red-carpeted stairs. They went up not one flight, but two.

‘The top floor,’ she marvelled to herself, looking around at the white marble columns beside the door. Not even her father had been up here, the Chief of the Police Force only ranking up to the second floor. It was so privileged that she wondered if they were breaking a law by stepping hoof up here.

The waitress led them past unoccupied tables to lead them to one at the very end, no one else on the floor. The table setup itself reeked of luxury, fine candles covering the pristine blue table cloth. Two chairs carved out of fine wood with plump blue cushions awaited them, a large picture of Princess Luna looking out from the wall behind them.

“I’ll be back with your wine and menus shortly,” the waitress stated, before bowing her head and leaving. She closed a privacy screen after she had left, leaving Nigel and Midnight with a fantastic view of the castle outside of the window.

“Nigel, that was amazing!” Midnight praised once she was sure the waitress was gone. “How did you manage to do that?”

“Oh,” he started to reply while rubbing his hoof against his chest. “I picked up a few things from the military officers born on worlds where this whole ‘Firstborn’ business still goes on. Acting like a snobbish twat seems to be universal.”

Midnight giggled and leant forwards over the table for a kiss. He gave it to her, Midnight savouring it before sitting back down. He seemed to be back to his old self after messing with the attendant, something that pleased her more than making it to the third floor. Staring across at him was romantic, but she would have preferred to be next to him. It was then that she got an idea.

“Say, Mister Ambassador, wouldn’t you like to view the magnificent castle like I am?” Nigel turned around to stare out the window behind him before smiling.

“Why would I stare at such a castle, when I have a far more appealing sight in front of me?”

Midnight felt her face heat up at the complement, and briefly she remembered that he had said the same sort of thing when they had first reached the city. She left her chair, grabbed it, flapped her wings and then pulled it back until it was beside his. She sat back down and immediately embraced him in a hug, planting a kiss on his cheek.

“I love it when you say adorable things like that,” she murmured, reaching our her wings to rub his chitin affectionately. With pleasant surprise she found that he was returning the favour with his hooves, it now clear that he wasn’t really worried about the constant affection she showed him. “Even if they’re incredibly cheesy.”

“Cheesy adorable things are the best,” he answered while they sat and enjoyed themselves. Midnight hummed in agreement and rested her head on his shoulder, keeping her wings and forelegs around him. The two remained in silence for a few minutes, the presence of the other providing more than enough entertainment.

They had to quickly draw away from each other when the privacy screen was opened, their waitress walking through with a tray balanced on her back. Placing it down, she removed a wine cooler with a green bottles resting inside, two glasses and a basket of bread sticks.

“Oh, no wine for me, thank you,” Midnight asked, remembering that she wasn’t supposed to drink. The waitress paused but didn’t say anything, putting one glass back on the tray. She poured Nigel a drink and then passed them both a menu, thankfully not written in a foreign language. Midnight had been dreading that, based off the behaviour of the door attendant.

Looking over her own menu, she debated on what to choose. Everything sounded so fancy and delicious, she couldn’t make up her mind. Glancing over to Nigel, she saw his eyes locked on one dish.

“This five-cheese pasta,” he asked the waitress in his fake voice. “May I inquire as to the quality of the cheese upon it?”

“All are imported from the finest markets from Equestria,” the waitress answered. “I can assure you that they are some of the finest available in the city.”

“Hmm,” he hummed, making up his mind. Midnight was a little surprised that he was ordering something; so far he had avoided solid food and had just relied on her. “I’ll give it a try, if I may.”

“Certainly sir,” the waitress turned to Midnight. “Have you decided, ma’am?”

“I’ll have the same,” Midnight decided, wondering what it was about it that attracted Nigel so. “Also, could I please have one apple, pear and peach juice?”

“Of course, is that all?”

“One order of the berry cheesecake as well,” Nigel asked eagerly, prompting more surprise from Midnight.

“It will be brought out after your mains,” the waitress announced, looking towards Midnight once again.

“Oh, none for me, thank you.”

“Very well, I’ll return shortly with your drink.”

With that she left again, Midnight cuddling close as soon as the screen was shut.

“Why’d you order food?” she asked. “I thought that you couldn’t eat it.”

“It’s all about the masquerade,” Nigel told her, his voice back to normal. One of his forelegs looped around her back, Midnight sighing and rubbing his hind leg with hers. “If I didn’t order anything then it’d be pretty suspicious. Besides, it can’t hurt to try something without sugar so I can test my theory.”

“And the cheesecake?” she questioned him with a raised eyebrow.

“It’s… cheesecake?” he tried; Midnight shaking her head with a grin. Something told her that he enjoyed cheese, given his choices. “I’ll share it with you, if that will get you off my back about it.”

“Fine,” she gave up, deciding to just give him a kiss instead. “That’ll work.” He kissed her back, Midnight giving him a nuzzle in thanks. It felt good to have him close to her, and she wondered what it would feel like when he had his normal form back. This thought gave her an idea of why he might have been a little moody in the morning, and she realised that it had been quite a long time since they had met.
“Nigel,” she asked, pulling back to face him. “I noticed that you were all grumpy this morning in the clothes shop. Is something wrong, did I screw up?”

He sighed, looking away from her. “Midnight, it’s… it’s not you. As you can probably guess, being stuck here is not what I want. I’ve met you thanks to that, and I’m grateful for it, but I guess I just want to go home. I’ve got responsibilities, commitments, things that I tend to take for granted.” He glanced down at himself. “Now look at me, a bartender in a city where I’m some kind of oddity. I’m a little worried that I’ll never be able to go back, and I hate to admit it but…” he trailed off, as if he comfortable with what he was about to say.

“What is it?” she pressed, concerned for him. Why had he been keeping this from her?

“I’m scared,” he stated, pausing to drain half of his wine glass. “The fact that I even feel that is what is concerning.”

“Why would that be strange? It’s understandable-“

“No, it’s not,” he answered, before sighing. “You wouldn’t understand, but it’s not just physical modifications that I’ve gone through. Ever since I arrived on this planet, I’ve felt different, I’ve acted different.” He emptied his glass, pouring another. “How different am I, and will that change when I go back, if I do go back?”

Midnight watched him take another drink. She felt sorry for him, unable to think what that would be like. Even when she was in guard training she missed her parents after only a few days, what would they be like when you don’t even know if you’ll make it back? There was really only one thing she could do, he was going through wine fast.

Lunging forward, she wrapped both of her forelegs and wings around him, pressing him close to her chest. He wasn’t as tall as a nocturne stallion; in fact he was almost her size. This meant that her head was next to his, and she nuzzled him in an attempt to comfort him. It was strange, barely two weeks ago he’d been doing the same for her.

“Why didn’t you tell me?” she asked. “I could have helped.”

“I can’t,” he replied. “I have to be the strong one and I can’t let my problems worry you. You’ve gone through far more-“

“And I couldn’t have done it without you there to help me,” Midnight told him, pulling back her head to look into his eyes. “So let me help this time. Do you want to talk about it?” Both turned their heads at the sound of wheels, Nigel smiling at her.

“No, it should be fine now.”

She nodded, knowing to not press the issue at the moment. They separated just in time for the waitress to appear with a food cart. They didn’t want to risk being found out.

With a nod, the young mare placed their plates down as well as Midnight’s juice. Next came a single silver fork each, with a grip designed for a wing to hold.

“I shall return with your dessert when it is ready,” the waitress informed them, before backing out of the room with her trolley. Midnight skilfully picked up her fork and twirled some pasta around it, before bringing the morsel to her mouth.

It was delicious, the different cheeses able to be tasted separately from each other. She glanced at Nigel while she chewed, and the site caused her to giggle. He wasn’t having as much luck with his utensil, his forelegs not as flexible as a wing. It took him visible effort to raise the loaded fork to his mouth, and right at the arc the golden pasta fell off back into the bowl.

“I hate these bulky things,” he muttered, staring at his own hooves with hate. Midnight saw her chance, and prepared a forkful of pasta. Quickly, she moved it towards him and shoved it in, cutting off any protest. Removing her fork, she watched him stare at her before chewing.

His eyes lit up, and all of a sudden her greedily dived his head into his bowl. Midnight watched on with her fork in the air, her mouth open while he absolutely devastated his pasta. Soon not a single strand was left, the bowl licked clean. His face was a different matter, a solid coating of yellow sauce covering his muzzle.

“What?” he asked, noticing her stare. “It’s good pasta.”

Seeing his eyes go towards hers, Midnight placed a foreleg around her bowl and continued to eat, keeping an eye on him all the while.

“You’re certainly not acting like an ambassador,” she scolded lightly, before taking another bite and chewing. “It’s almost like you’re not a human in there, but a pig.”

“Coming from you, that’s a laugh,” he teased back. She huffed but didn’t reply back; instead she went for the low route and made a show of enjoying her pasta. He tried to ignore her by focusing on his wine, so she took a sip of her own drink. Waiting until he had finished the glass before resuming, Midnight grinned when he emptied the bottle while sneaking glances at her food.

“Ah, that was good pasta,” she finished rubbing her stomach and grinning at him. “Savouring a meal like that is one of the best choices I’ve made.” Midnight noticed him take another sip of wine while trying to ignore her, so she pressed her attack. “I’d hate to imagine what I’d be like to just… eat it all quickly and miss out on the wonderful, cheesy taste of the succulent sa-“

She was cut off when he wrapped his forelegs around her and pulled tight, locking his lips with hers and cutting her off.

Midnight tasted wine and cheese, and she shivered when two hooves started to rub her back between her wings. He’d quickly learnt her weak points, and it wasn’t long before she felt her face heat up. Rather than break it off, she returned the kiss with equal amounts of passion, her hooves going for his shoulders while her wings went for his flanks.

In return, he lowered a hoof to her flank, and kneaded the fur like a baker making bread. What followed was a battle between the two, each trying to ‘outdo’ the other. Midnight took advantage when he paused to take a breath, darting her head to his neck and showering it with kisses. At the same time, she moved a wing from his right flank to the inside of his thigh. She felt him shudder, and with a victorious grin the wing moved towards-

Her chair leg snapped, sending the two toppling onto the floor. She landed on him, sprawled over him with her hind legs open over his.

“Oh, I’m so sorry! Are you hurt?” Her fear was misplaced, and thankfully he shook his head. Looking down at him, he had a slight green blush and his chest was heaving, the wine likely haven gotten to him. Midnight’s wings fluttered erratically and she grinned in anticipation.

She was intoxicated by something far more potent.

Knowing that he wasn’t hurt, she immediately dived back in and resumed wrestling his tongue with her own. There wasn’t much he could do to resist with her pinning him down, but he still managed to put up a fight with his hooves on her flanks. Hoping that changelings didn’t get carpet burn, Midnight increased her assault.

Whether it was the date, the morning or just pure lust, she was oblivious to the fact that they were furiously making out on the prestigious third floor of the fanciest restaurant in the city. Currently the only thing in her world was the being underneath her, and she was dedicated to showing him that fact. He obviously felt the same way, and through the haze of lust Midnight felt one of his hooves slowly make its way away from her flank, across her rump and towards her-

“One… order of cheesecake?”


Warm Dawn stared down at the sight in front of her. The two VIPs that she had been instructed to solely attend to were intertwined on the red carpet in a passionate embrace, the mare on top lifting her mouth from the bug-creature’s neck to stare at her.

Dawn took in the empty wine bottle, the saliva trails, the male’s hoof up the mare’s dress, and the intense blushes that both carried. Both chairs were upturned; evidently the interrupted love affair had been a passionate one. While shocked, she had to be honest with herself and admit that it was a more than little amusing to see such esteemed guests breaking numerous social taboos.

Doing the dirty in a public restaurant, on the third floor, with a partner that was a different species to boot! Dawn almost wished that her own boyfriend would be as adventurous as these two nobles.

“I… uh,” the mare stammered, quickly withdrawing her wings from her partner’s thighs.

“We’ll skip the cheesecake,” the Horsebekistan ambassador finished for her, rolling her over to his side. Dawn looked away, averting her eyes in case their activities had been overly stimulating. The male stood up and straightened his tie, nodding towards the mare.
The council guide, if she remembered correctly, seemed distant. However, after the pause she snapped out of it, removing a coin purse from her dress with a blush still on her face.

“Here, enough to cover the meal and to ensure that none of this gets out, if you get my drift.” The ambassador took the coin purse from his guide, his fancy accent gone for some reason, and shoved it onto the tray beside the cheesecake before he grabbed the guide’s hoof to lead her away.

Dawn stood still for a second, processing what had just happened. Had she just been bribed to keep quiet? By the time she turned around, they were long gone, fading hoofsteps audible from the stairs. Looking back at the table, Dawn trotted over to set the tray down. Opening the coin bag, there was indeed more than enough money, leaving her with a substantial ‘tip’. Glancing down at the cheesecake, untouched, she looked back towards the doorway.

Well, she hadn’t had her break yet, the cheesecake was normally out of her price range and she was fairly hungry…


“Do you think she’ll talk?” Midnight whispered to Nigel after they had shut the door behind them.

“Nah, she didn’t seem the sort,” he slurred, the hurried walk back home only making him more woozy. Midnight was torn halfway as to whether to feel extremely embarrassed that the waitress had caught them, or to just give into the excitement that was flowing through her. She felt so alive, her heart pounding in her chest. Sure, it was passionate before they had been caught, but now it was a need welling up inside of her.

“Bedroom, now,” she commanded, using a wing to pull him towards the mentioned room. He didn’t put up much resistance, although he did stumble a bit due to his intoxication. With her help, he was soon on the bed and she was straddling him with her dress still on. Her wings flapped madly, Midnight bending down to nuzzle his neck. She enjoyed doing this, her entire body tingling with anticipation. “We’ve got the entire time to ourselves before you go to work, so I expect you to use it well.”

“I always do,” he replied. “Besides, how can I refuse an order like that?”

“You can’t,” Midnight murmured while nibbling an ear. “Also, I want you to keep the bowtie on, it looks cute on you.”

“Then we should probably get your dress off,” he countered, a hoof fumbling for the large clasp near the back of her neck. Getting an idea, Midnight pushed the hoof away and sat back up, grinning before dismounting and rolling off the bed. He stared in confusion, until she beckoned with a hoof.

“If you want it off,” she sang. “You’re going to have to find and catch me!”

She raced out of the room, barely able to control her laughter. She’d never had this much fun until now, and the imagined result of him finding her made her blood race. Ducking behind the couch, she made sure to leave her tail out behind her. The quicker he found her, the better.

Midnight fought to control her pants and breathing when she heard hoofsteps approach. They were easy to hear on the hard floor, and the clip-clop sound drew closer and closer. She shut her eyes and grinned, holding back the urge to fly out and tackle him to the ground. She waited, no more hoofsteps able to be heard.

Opening her eyes, Midnight slowly swivelled her ears around to try and get a hint as to where he was. Surely he hadn’t missed her tail?
The hairs on her neck stood up, and her breath hitched in her throat when she felt something nibble her ear.

“Found you.”

Before she could turn around, he pinned her to the floor and undid the first dress clasp in one move. The other two soon followed, and Midnight found herself rolling over to stare up. She was met with a kiss, and she eagerly wrapped her forelegs around his neck to pull him closer. Hooves began to explore her body, running over her stomach, shoulders, thighs, flanks and sides. After a few blissful moments, she broke the kiss and looked up at the smiling changeling. He was still wearing his bowtie, as per her request.

“How did you sneak up on me?” she asked between pants. “I couldn’t even hear your hoofsteps.”

“I’m trained in stealth,” he murmured, his hooves beginning to slide down lower. “Among other things, although what I’m about to do is certainly not in the handbook.”

While she had no complaint with his intentions, Midnight didn’t want to give up just yet. Her wings left his sides and wrapped around his forelegs, and with a slight tug she unbalanced him. He fell forward onto her chest, and with her legs wrapped around him she rolled them onto the carpet. They bumped into the leg of the small coffee table, but now she was back on top.

“I’m going to do things to you that will come close to breaking laws,” she muttered, gazing down at him with a grin. He wasn’t so happy, however, Midnight frowning when she saw that his eyes seemed to stare behind her.

“Twice in one night,” he muttered, Midnight not getting what he was talking about. It was then that she heard possibly the worst sound to hear in the current moment, pinning Nigel to the floor with her body while she grinded against him.

That sound being the mirth-filled tone of Starbright’s laughter.

‘Oh no,’ she thought, her face going pale. ‘Mom and Dad said that they would be coming over for tea…’

Turning her head around, hoping that she had just misheard, Midnight spotted her mother and father staring at them with mixed emotions. Darklight had his eyes adverted and his ears folded back, the stallion looking very, very uncomfortable. Starbright was busy trying to muffle her laughter with her hoof, the mare obviously enjoying the site immensely.

“Is this a bad time?” she asked between giggles. “We’d hate to interrupt anything.”

Blushing a deep red, Midnight quickly scrambled off Nigel and stood up, trying hard to keep her wings from fluttering erratically.

“Uh, no,” she stuttered out, Nigel getting up to stand next to her. “We were... just seeing how soft the carpet is?”


Nigel stared down at the teacup in his hooves, the brown liquid inside the cup swirling around. Midnight was next to him, a wing over his back and her own cup held by the other. Opposite to them sat Darklight and Starbright, the only sounds in the room being the ticking clock and the occasional sip of tea. The ticking didn’t help the headache that was building up in his head, no doubt a result of his careless drinking.

Starbright was still smiling to herself, the older mare onto her second cup already. Darklight had hardly touched his, the stallion avoiding eye contact. Nigel could tell that Midnight was nervous, the mare hunched low with her eyes facing the ground. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see her discarded dress shoved behind the chair that Starbright was sitting on.

He was still wearing his bowtie.

“Oh come on,” Starbright broke the silence and gave Midnight a smile. “Don’t be so down you two. We came over to see how you’re settling in to the new house and you’re obviously doing well.”

“Mom,” Midnight replied. “You walked in on us while we were… you know. That’s not something I want you to see, or what any pony wants their parent to see.” Midnight took a sip of tea to calm herself down, Darklight following her example while Starbright homed in for the kill.

“I don’t see what the big deal is.” Nigel braced himself; he recognised the mischievous ‘I’m going to start trouble’ look that Starbright had. “If it was me and your father in that same situation, we’d be straight out rutting each other senseless and-“

Her bait was successful, perhaps too successful. Midnight began to choke on her tea while Darklight spat it out in shock. Nigel’s eye twitched when a few drops of tea landed on his hind leg, struggling to hold in his laughter.

“Starbright, don’t you dare,” Darklight warned after recovering, a warning that was ignored by Starbright.

“We were in the same situation once, with his parents,” she continued, sitting back like she was telling a regular bedtime story to a child. “I can tell you, that touching stuff that you were doing before? Nothing compared to this. We’d already moved from the bedroom, to the kitchen, and then to the lounge room.”

“Oh no,” Midnight pleaded, folding her ears down.

“I had carpet burns on my back from all of the thrusting,” Starbright reminisced, a twinkle in her eye. “I didn’t mind though, your father was such a virile stallion. Anyway, we had forgotten that his parents had stayed the night, and they trotted right out of the guest room and straight into the middle of it.”

Starbright laughed, Midnight and Darklight both sinking down into their respective chairs out of shame. Nigel however was enjoying it immensely.

“Ah, they were a stuck-up bunch of toffs, they never had liked me. Thought I was ‘spoiling the family blood with my low-class ways’, being with their son.”

“I wonder what gave them that idea,” Darklight muttered, Starbright turning her grin on him.

“You certainly didn’t mind, I could tell because of your adorable moans whenever I did that thing with my-“

“Mom!” Midnight protested, Starbright stopping her explanation.

“You’re right dear,” she apologised, Midnight letting out a short-lived sigh of relief. “Back to the story.”

‘Absolutely golden,’ Nigel thought, taking another sip of his tea and nodding like they were discussing a mundane activity such as knitting.

“So, his parents threw me out and banned me from the house,” Starbright resumed. “Naturally, I wasn’t about to let that get in the way of spending quality time with him. So I came up with a brilliant plan-“

“She flew up to me room in the middle of the day, busted open my window and pounced on me,” Darklight grumbled. “I thought I was being murdered.”

“And that’s how your sister Melody was conceived!” Starbright finished, Midnight placing her cup down so that she could curl up and cover her ears with her wings. Nigel noticed that Darklight had also placed his cup down, the stallion leaving his chair and grabbing Starbright’s leg with a wing.

“Okay, I think we better be going,” he announced. “Midnight, Nigel, we’ll ah… we’ll do dinner sometime this week.”

With those words he pulled Starbright out of the room and headed towards the door. Before she was dragged out, Starbright turned to Nigel and gave him a nod.

Her mission had been accomplished.

The door clicked shut down the hall, Nigel glancing down at Midnight before rubbing her flank.

“They’re gone,” he told her, Midnight still not responding so he tried to start a conversation. “Geez, your mother’s certainly an interesting mare.”

“Not helping, Nigel,” Midnight groaned, burying her face in a pillow. “She’s always so… lewd. She knows it too, and she only does it to embarrass me.”

“And Darklight,” Nigel reminded, having greatly enjoyed the stallion’s discomfort. Midnight didn’t share his opinion, and refused to cheer up.

“Still, as soon as she has something then she’ll use it to torment you with it. I mean, they walked in and saw us like that, we’ll never hear the end of it!”

He sighed and lay down next to her, giving her a quick peck on the blush-covered cheek. “You know, you’re a lot like her.”

“I am not!” she protested, raising her head to look at him. “I’ll never be that open or-“

“Are you forgetting the restaurant, or that you were going to do things to me that ‘will come close to breaking laws’ just before?” Midnight appeared ashamed now that the heat of the romantic moment had passed. Before she was able to hide back in the pillow, he leaned forwards and gave her a full kiss before continuing. “Don’t be embarrassed, I love that about you.”

“Really?” she asked, rolling onto her side. “You don’t think I was being too… promiscuous?”

“Pfft, you’re incredibly sexy when you’re being promiscuous,” he informed her, Midnight’s wings starting to flutter again. “Besides, I’m still a little drunk so it was partially my fault as well. I seem to recall that I was the one that jumped you in the restaurant.”

“Yeah,” Midnight remembered, before smiling at him. “So… do you want to continue from where we left off?”

“I would love to, but I’ve got work in three hours and I should take a nap to try and clear my head.”

“You know, a nap actually sounds good,” Midnight agreed, pulling him into a hug. “I’ve had more than enough excitement for one day.”
Both settled into each other’s hold, their exhaustion and the warmth of the hug quickly luring them into slumber.


“Have a good time at work.”

Midnight gave Nigel a kiss on the cheek, the changeling about to walk into the inn.

“I will, try to cope without me.” Midnight shuddered at his words, reminding her that she was going over to her parent’s house for dinner. Facing them without him, after what had happened earlier that night was something that she was deathly afraid of. No doubt her mother would ask all kinds of awkward questions.

“Okay,” she muttered, looking at her forehooves before a hoof lifted her chin up. She was met with warm blue eyes and a smile.

“I’m sure it’ll go fine,” he reassured. “Besides, I’m only working a short shift so I’ll drop by in a few hours. You can hold out until then, surely.”

“You know Starbright,” Midnight replied, however she was met with a chuckle in return.

“I do, and you should count yourself lucky that you have such great parents.” She was about to argue the point, but was cut off by a quick kiss. “Go on, I’m sure they’ll behave themselves. Just try to steer the conversation away from anything that your mother can relate to, I want her to save all of those stories for when I get there.”

“You’re terrible,” Midnight smiled, lightly tapping him on the shoulder with a hoof. “Okay, fine, you win. I’ll go.”

“Enjoy yourself,” he ordered, leaning in to whisper into her ear. “If you do, I’ll make it up to you when we get home.”

Midnight grinned and gave him a final nuzzle, before she turned around to look back over her shoulder. He gave her a goodbye wave before disappearing into the inn, Midnight taking a deep breath and focusing on the upcoming trial.

‘Okay Midnight,’ she thought, steeling herself. ‘You’re a young mare dating a wonderful guy; you feel like you’re able to take on the world. So what if your parents caught you making out with him on your living room floor? Just focus on talking about them and it will all pass without a hitch.’

Despite her mental pep-talk, her nerves still were playing up. Shaking her head in a futile attempt to get rid of her worries, Midnight began her journey towards the feared destination.

Little did she know, but she wasn’t going to be the only daughter at the dinner.

Author's Note:

Things are starting to slow down a bit, we've reached a 'calm' point in the plot.

Well, if you can call their activities calm.

Still, the next few chapters will be a bit more like this, a little more 'slice of life'. Think of it as the build up.

A few more points. We get some insite as to why Nigel might be acting a little off (for those who have read of him before), we get some more POV from Midnight and Starbright returns... with a vengence.

As you can guess, Midnight might be in for a bit of a shock.