• ...
2
 48
 939

Morgenholz

The next morning came with all the ease of a concussed stallion, because for all intents and purposes, I was a concussed stallion. No that metaphor did not make sense, but neither do taxes, and much like this strange tale you still deal with them once a year anyways. Regardless of being assaulted by my strange bartending friend with obvious daddy issues, I still had a business to run.

“Less monologuing, more cart pulling.” I muttered sourly, enjoying the breeze that had brought a moment’s respite from the sun’s scornful, and most likely pervy gaze. Seriously, what kind of creep stares at ponies from the sky for hours on end? A cold chill of foreshadowing crept down my spine, reminding me that pegasi most likely make up the majority of perverts in this country. With a heave, I continued to drag my cart full of glasswares and such down the dirt road, enjoying the sight of a blue sky and rolling green fields.

Of course, I took great care to ignore as many greetings as possible from the numerous ponies making deliveries as well. Although, try as I might, not even I could ignore the adorable smile and pastry offered to me by the mailmare, whom had made a tradition out of silently delivering muffins to me whenever our routes intersected. She was easily my favorite. However, she was not the only pony who would recognize me along the way.

“You know, there’s something to be said about a colt who hauls his own deliveries.” Berry said teasingly, trotting up from behind and matching my pace.

“There’s also something to be said about strangers who leer at your ass until they think of something clever to say.” I responded, keeping my eyes firmly locked on the road ahead. Instead of the expected embarrassed stammering, she merely giggled.

“One or two seconds doesn't count as leering, besides, it isn't much of a prize anyway.” She scoffed, which was actually kind of hilarious coming from the shy little mare I had only met a few days ago. We continued down the path in relative silence, at one point Berry even decided to climb inside my cart to ‘inspect my cargo’ as she put it. I nearly kicked her in the throat to protect myself before realizing that she was talking about my glassware, and most likely just wanted to escape the heat. She had caught me on my last delivery luckily, so the extra weight wouldn't really bother me...physically at least. “Wow! How do you bend glass like that?”

“Well, I practice a lot by melting down the corpses of anypony who touches my stuff during a delivery.” I said cheerfully, prompting a little yelp from Berry. Her head poked out from the cover and glared at me.

“You are evil.” She said, slowly dragging out ‘evil’ while she pulled back into the cart. I rolled my eyes at that, and briefly considered dumping the whole cart in a river somewhere.

“And you have gotten unpleasantly more talkative.” I said in a joking, but completely truthful manner. A small cropping of trees surrounded the road ahead of us, beyond was the cottage of the Element of Kindness herself. I’ll admit, I was terrified at first to deliver anything to one of the faustforesaken bearers a few years ago, but they really aren't all that scary. Hell, some look small enough for me to beat in a one-on-one fight, honestly. Did I mention that this delivery would be a lot easier if it wasn't for the sun and it’s inappropriate staring?

I finally got some shade when a rogue cloud blocked out the big glowing creep. We had just passed between the trees when something...peculiar happened.

“Hey Berr-” I began to call, looking at the rapidly darkening cloud overhead. Suddenly, a deafening boom rudely cut me off, followed by a flash. Lighting zipped from the cloud, and stuck the tree next to me, making an awful *SNAP*. The blast itself was enough to sweep me off my hooves, and leave my ears ringing. Groaning, I pulled myself off the ground, and shook my head to dispel the confusion. The sound of creaking wood grabbed my attention, and I noticed with dread that the tall, skinny tree was going to fall directly on the cart, and me by extension



Come on, come on! If the harness doesn't come loose, I can kiss four years of hard work, and an entire lifetime of servitude to my hive goodbye. Weighing the options, my hoof finally decided that making a nice little red stain in the forest is far too mainstream, and so the harness was unlatched and pulled from my shoulders. Now all that was left was to get clear and I was golde-

“BERRY!” I yelled, sprinting back underneath the looming shadow of the tree and simultaneously reconsidering what shape I’d like my stain to be. I saw her poke out from the back of the cart, struggling to pull the situation together in her head no doubt. Running for all I was worth, I came around the side of the cart and ripped her out of the back before she could ask anything. I threw her fiercely out of the way, making the grim realization that I hadn't cleared the tree’s path in time. As she finished rolling, her eyes locked onto mine from her position on the ground.

I’d love to say that I smiled heroically; that I gave her one last look of courage to punctuate my annihilation. Instead, in that brief glimpse I had caught, I gave her one final thing to remember me by: I whimpered, and then she screamed. This was going to suck, wasn't it?



There was a sudden weight in the dead-center of my back, a *CRASH*, and then pain. More pain then I had ever thought possible; an endless torrent of white-hot agony lacing every inch of my spine. I couldn't speak, nor cry out, the great weight on my back began to numb as my body began to fail. It would never stop, that was the last thing my mind produced, and it was the understanding that I wouldn't see an end to this pain in my lifetime. These last few seconds would be torment, and then, nothing.

In summary: yeah, it sucked.

Author's Note:

Funny story about this chapter, I was about half way finished when I suddenly realized that I hated everything about it, and so it was rewritten from scratch. I originally planned on having Berry break into Diflex's house for reasons of friendship and alcohol as per usual, but that didn't conform to her personality all too well, so it was scrapped. I seriously don't understand how you bunch of readers can wait long periods of time for some mediocre, and even downright shit chapters.

Y'all is a bunch of crazies, I hope you know that.

With that out of the way, I wonder how Diflex is gonna feel after all of this? I'll be very disappointed if he isn't preforming acrobatics within the hour.
Good day to you, crazies.