• ...
2
 48
 939

Time Flies

“Y’know, for a secretive and professional type of fella, I’m starting to think that maybe ya drink a tad too much on the job,” Lucky chuckled, leaning over the booth with a small grin on his face. I glared up at him from my seat, and pushed the mug away, spilling some of the frothy drink. Lucky rolled his eyes with the same grin on his face, as he cleaned off the table with a rag.

“And for a crazy, treacherous Equestrian, you still manage to come off as the most generic bartender on the planet. I bet your parents only named you Lucky in the hopes that you’d sell them cheap booze when you inevitably came to own a bar.” I matched his hard stare with my own, and for a moment, the empty bar was filled with an uneasy silence. It was quickly shattered by our collective laughing, as he took a seat in the booth.

“I can’t never beat ya in a pissed off staring contest if ya don’t got no pupils,” he picked the mug up from the table, and took a swig, “and by the way, somethin’ tells me my mum didn’t care too much ‘bout what she named my sorry bum, I hardly even knew the mare. That goes twice as much fer the ole’ man, seeing as I never actually saw his face.”

“Yeah, I can relate…” He looked up with a slight air of concern, setting the mug back down and sliding it to me.

“Still havin’ that crazy flashback dream thingy are ya?” I gave a small nod, staring down into the froth.

“Same one every night, and I still don’t know who that changeling is! I swear I feel like I should know her every single time I’ve seen her, ever sinc-

“-Yeah yeah, I know the story. Ever since yer little mishap with the girlie out in the woods.”

“Would you stop saying it like that?!” I responded a little too quickly, still refusing to look up. A small silence ensued before Lucky spoke up again.

“Three months is an awful long time to worry ‘bout someone ya hardly even knew, Flex.” I opened my mouth to retort, but found no words to say. When I finally found my voice, I looked up from the drink, and spoke.

“...Hell, you're probably right,” his ears perked up at that, “I would love to know who she was hiding from, or even where she got these magical leg braces but…” I trailed off with a low sigh, and wisely decided to finish off the mug before I started to think clearly.

“Does it really matter?” I stopped half way through the beer, and gave him a sideways glance, “you’ve got yer legs workin’, and whoever these shady door-knocking fellas are, they still ain’t technically yer problem.” He made a good point, and yet regardless of any logic, I still felt a strange tinge of… Something. I set the mug down again, which was seriously unnatural for me, and stood up from my seat.

“Thanks for the advice Lucky, you can finish the drink. I think i’m gonna head home.” I walked to the shoddy wooden door, and enjoyed the familiar sound of it’s creaky hinges as it opened. The feeling of the cool night air, or rather lack of feeling reminded me to burn into my disguise before stepping through the portal and out into the sleepy village. The only sound to accompany the crickets was my own hoofsteps on the cobblestone road. I traversed the various paths as if it were second nature.

The braces clacked unhappily, but I managed to tune them out awhile ago. And although it made me feel a tad cowardly, I tried my best to avoid alleyways as best I could. It was funny really, as much as I couldn’t stand living in this hole of a town, I don’t really know if I could ever adapt to life in the hive ever again. And yet, the recall was so close I could almost smell it. Regardless of any adjustment issues, there was no way I would waste four years of rebuilding just to stay here.

My self reflection was cut short by a quiet, almost inaudible sound overhead. It was the sound of feathers whistling through the air. Immediately, I took off down the road, but it was only a few blocks away and quickly getting closer. Whoever it was, they were exercising restraint in order to keep their sound level to a minimum, the tactic was commonly known amongst the hive as a ‘dead-beat’ referring to the dead silent beating of wings. Of course, if my pursuer had any training at all with the technique, I wouldn’t have heard them until it was much too late.

My breathing was quick, and yet still paced as I nimbly threaded between streets and even alleyways, deciding that non-lethal techniques would not apply to anypony who attempted to mug me whilst I ran. Between one of said alleys, I could see the entrance to my humble dwelling, and quickly changed directions so as to capitalize on the shortcut. I made a mental note of the newfound alley, and if I survived this little encounter, I would be sure to use it from now on whenever I was returning from the bar. The deft wings taunted me from above, now directly on top of me as I made a mad dash for the doorway. I reached out for the door, grasped the handle in my magic and-

A small thump sounded behind me, no more loud or imposing than that of a bag of flower falling on the ground, and yet it honestly terrified me. The door stopped glowing, and for a moment, the only sound in the entirety of the town was heavy panting from myself. Of course, I would love to believe that there wasn’t also the sound of panting breath behind me, but that wouldn’t really conform to the reality of the situation. Sand began to gather at my hooves, and glow a very dim red unbeknownst to my… guest. As it just started to take shape, she spoke up from behind me.

“H-hey… long time no see, huh?” She said weakly, and I immediately spun around. All she got out was a small ‘eep’ before the glass blade pressed against her windpipe.

“One. Good. Reason.” I growled, my voice so low she had to visibly strain her ears to hear it.

“What do you want me to say?” She half asked, and half pleaded.

“I’ve not got the slightest idea, but for your sake,” I offered the tiniest grin, “It better be pretty damn convincing, Dash.”

Author's Note:

LOOKS LIKE WE GOT A KNIFE FIGHT!
I wonder if this'll turn out badly for someone...

Nah, probably not.

[EDIT: Also, credit to whoever inspired the glass knife thing.]