• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 8,317 Views, 272 Comments

AppleShy: The Series - solsticebrony888



A collection of stories describing the evolution of Futtershy and Applejack's relationship

  • ...
5
 272
 8,317

Motionless

Motionless

"So Sugarcube, ah know ah was supposed to not ask you again, but ah'm just curious! What ponies have ya dated before me? Ah told ya who ah've dated..." Applejack questioned from inside their kitchen, as she prepared herself some breakfast.

"Yeah, and um, I met one and he wasn't very nice..."

"Not in the least! But ah still would like to know who you've dated! It’s only fair,"

Fluttershy perched on their couch, stretched, relinquishing a quiet yawn in the process, “Why do you want to know so badly..?"

Applejack pondered her question, while taking a bite of a slice of Apple Pie ,"Ah don't know, Ah juss think ah should know, juss in case one of em tries to Buckwheat me,"

Fluttershy gave her a mean look (Well, as mean of a look as Fluttershy could give)

"…Too soon?" Said the orange pony with a laugh, taking another bite of her piece of pie.

"When are you leaving?"

Applejack looked hurt, surprised at the coldness of Fluttershy’s response, "Ouch, Sugarcube..."

"No! Um, i didn't mean it like that, I actually want to know, I'm sorry..."

"Oh! Don’t apologize! Ya didn’t do anythin’ wrong! And I'm not sure when ah should leave, Ah reckon soon, Suns already a quarter up the sky, Ah at least need to leave before noon, Braeburn expects me in Appleloosa by Sundown, which means I should get on the next train or one after it" through a window, she looked off in the distance towards Appleloosa.

The orange pony had received a letter the night before from Braeburn, expressing the dire situation the town was in, and how much he needed help from his relatives in PonyVille. Along with some other Apple family members, she had immediately accepted the challenge.

Applejack, walking over to the Pegasus on the couch, handed her a slice from an apple pie she had just finished making.

"MMM! Thank you! You make the best Apple stuff," Said the shy Pegasus said happily.

"Well Apple is...in my name!" Applejack responded, causing both to giggle.

After eating the whole slice in nearly one bite, Fluttershy digressed, "Why do you have to go to Appleloosa?"

"Ah told ya this, darlin. There's a fire, and they need as many ponies there too help, it's a bigger than hay fire ah've been told, Braeburn sounded awfully worried about it"

"Oh! Sounds scary...y-you better be careful!" Fluttershy warned, shuttering at the thought of fighting a huge fire.

"Of course, Darlin!, ya don't have to worry about me,"

"...But I will," Fluttershy said meekly, lowering her head.

Applejack walked over to the couch and gently kissed her on the cheek ,"Ya don't have nothin' to worry 'bout, darlin', Ah'll be fine! Ah was at a fire in Manehatten with my Aunt and Uncle Orange helping fight a fire, we put it out in 2 hours tops. We juss gotta stop it before it hits the Apple Trees, they'll lose a lot of bits if it does,"

"It just sounds so...dangerous, I would go if it wasn't for all of my animals...I just want to know you're safe..."

"Ah wouldn't let ya go even if ya could, Ah wouldn't wanna risk ya gettin' hurt or nothin'. Just remember you don't have anythin' to worry 'bout. Forest fires are common in that dustbowl they call Appleloosa, We'll take care of it, and Ah'll be right back home in no-time,"

"You promise?"

Applejack got close to her face and whispered, "Ah Promise,"

"I-I'm still going to worry about you...I can't help it"

"Oh, Fluttershy, Ah love you so much..." Swooned the earth pony, smiling lovingly at her mare on the couch ,"Just spend some extra time with yer animals, and ah'll be back just in time for our 2 month anniversary thingy, and it'll be great! Ah'll take ya out on a date, and buy ya stuff, the rests a surprise! See? Now ya have something to look forward too!"

"I love you more…And that sounds so romantic...3 months ago I, um never would have guessed you'd be so..." She struggled to find the word she was looking for, "So romantic,"

Applejack smiled genuinely, "More? That ain’t even possible darlin’ and Ah wouldn’t a' guessed it either. Bein' with you has made me a better pony, ah suppose," She said with a loving glance at her mare on the couch ,"Now, ah think It's time ah get to the train station, ya comin' with babe?"

"Of course!" Exclaimed Fluttershy as she jumped off of her couch.

On their way, Fluttershy couldn't shake the nervous feeling she had had when Applejack told her about the fire. She scared herself with the thoughts of what could go wrong, despite trying to ignore the thoughts. It wasn’t like her to be so nervous for something Applejack was going to do, usually she had all the confidence in the world for her, but something about this trip bothered her, and she couldn’t stop thinking about it.

, So…um how big was the fire the last time you were there?"

"Ah reckon it wasn't too big, we mostly just had to keep it from growin, because the wind was goin' crazy. Once the wind died down, we took it out quickly,"

"H-how big is this fire?"

"Ah was told it was much bigger...but ya don't have nothin' to worry 'bout darlin'. I know what ah'm doin'!"

"I guess..." Fluttershy said with a sigh.

As they rounded a corner near the center of town, the two came across Big Macintosh, most likely going to the train station too.

"Hey, Big Mac!" Greeted the orange pony.

"Hello Applejack, Fluttershy," Responded the stallion in his regular deep voice, as he looked back at the two ponies.

"Are you goin' to Appleloosa too?"

"Eeyup,"

"Any Idea how big the fire is now? Braeburn didn't give me much of a clue in his letter,"

"He said it's the biggest in Appleloosa history," Said the soft-spoken stallion, causing Fluttershy to gulp at the thought.

"Is she comin' too?" He asked, in response to her nervous gulp.

"No, she has to stay at our home and take care of her animals," Said Applejack

Big Macintosh looked at Fluttershy ,"Why are you so nervous if ya ain't goin'?"

"Um, well, uh.." Her voice trailed off before she finished.

Knowing Fluttershy always got especially nervous around her family, Applejack finished for her, "She's just nervous for me, cuz it ain't exactly the safest thing for me to be doin',"

The red stallion nodded, "Don't worry Fluttershy, Ah'll take care of her for ya,"

The three reached the train station quite fast. Feeling the excessive heat, which was quite unsual at that time of year, they hurried once the train station was in sight. Applejack made a mental note to tell Rainbow Dash to calm down the next time they decide to make it a hot day. Climbing up a bunch of wooden steps, Big Macintosh quietly left to meet with other members of the Apple family, understanding his younger sister would want some time with her mare.

"Ah hope it ain't as hot in Appleloosa! It's hotter than hay out here today, darn Rainbow Dash always trying to over-do it!" Remarked Applejack as they entered the waiting area.

Edging threw the crowd of ponies, a lot of which are Apple family members; she searched to see the next arrival time. She didn't need to search for long, because she saw the 4 stallions leading the train in the distance, with a huge cloud of dust and dirt behind them.

"Ah reckon that's some perfect timing, here they come right now!" Applejack said happily, as she turned around to meet Fluttershy again.

Fluttershy lowered her head ,"Please be careful, Applejack,"

"Of course ah will, darlin,"

"I'm going to miss you..."

Seeing the sincere sadness across the Pegasus' face made Applejack feel guilty for having to leave. It didn't occur to her like it did to Fluttershy, that this would be the first time they'd be apart for more than a day since they've been together.

"It's only for a day or 2, tops! Ah'll miss ya too...Think 'bout it this way, It'll just make our 2 month anniversary thing that much more special,"

The roaring train then entered the station, the leading stallions whinnying upon their arrival. It came to a stop along with a following cloud of dust. After a minute or two, the train's doors opened, all of the ponies quickly lining up to enter.

"Well, the trains boarding now," Applejack said, then turned around and spoke softly, getting close to Fluttershy, "Ah'll be fine darlin, don't worry about me,"

"I'll try not to..."

"Ah love you Fluttershy," Applejack said meaningfully.

"I love you too! Be careful please..!" Fluttershy reiterated despite herself. The earth pony gave her a long kiss then a hug, both ignoring the ponies staring at them.

"Ah'll be fine, sugarcube. Ah know what ah'm doin'"

Applejack then followed a line of ponies onto the train, glancing back at the saddened Pegasus every chance she could. She entered the odd-smelling train, and searched for a spot where she could wave to Fluttershy before she left. She had to go to the back of the cabin, but found a bed with a window she could use, Big Macintosh soon after chose the bed across from hers. Why were no ponies coming off the train in Ponyville? ya'd think that a lot of ponies would want to leave Appleloosa right now she thought.

After a several calls to see if anypony still needed to board the train, the huge vehicle slowly made it way out of Ponyville. Applejack blew a kiss to Fluttershy, then looked forward to her destination. A sudden collective gasp went through the train, as each pony laid their eyes upon a massive black cloud pluming from the distant mountains.