• Published 11th Mar 2012
  • 8,314 Views, 272 Comments

AppleShy: The Series - solsticebrony888



A collection of stories describing the evolution of Futtershy and Applejack's relationship

  • ...
5
 272
 8,314

A Double Double Date

A Double Double Date

"Alright...almost done...just a clip here and a snip here and voila! Finished! Don't they look simply marvelous?" Rarity said, beaming, after adding the finishing touches on the dresses she made for Applejack and Fluttershy. She had been working diligently for hours trying to make them perfect for the couple.

"See, for you Applejack, I kept it simple. I made sure that the dress is easy to put on and get out of, with no fancy bells or whistles! I know how you don't like to fuss over your looks too much. I made sure the color was the EXACT shade of green as your eyes, which I think are gorgeous! So you can look ready to go out on a date without sacrificing much time," Rarity emphatically motioned towards all the details, even in Applejack's ‘simple’ dress. Soon she made her way to the dress she made for the yellow Pegasus.

,"As for you, Fluttershy, I made your dress match your mane, with beautiful streaks of all shades of pink which will help you stand out magnificently, without looking out-of-place or over-done at all! I made sure it didn't stick out as much as your dress for the Gala...your date is a casual double-date, no? So I dialed down some of the ribbons, but I kept the fabulocity of it all!" Arms wide, with a smile from ear to ear, the white pony waited for their responses.

"They're great, Rarity! But I don't understand why, um, we couldn't just use our dresses from the Gala, We hate to be a bother," Fluttershy said to her best-friend.

After shooing away her little sister Sweetie Belle before she could into one of her clothing racks, Rarity responded "Oh, Nonsense sweetheart! The dresses for the gala are much too formal, When I heard about your date with the other mare-couple, I couldn't let you go without dresses to fit the occasion! And trust me, fashion is my passion, you could never be a bother," Rarity took the time to show the two ponies her extensive collection of clothing apparel she's made in the past week, just to add emphasis on the fact it isn't a bother for her to help them with their fashion needs.

"Well it's sure nice of ya, Rarity. Ah reckon ah love the dress ya made me, even if it's a tad fancier than ah expected. If ah weren't so busy at the farm, ah'd wear it more than just on dates" Applejack mused, flattering the purple-maned unicorn that made it.

"Thank you, Applejack. It's wonderful to hear that you're not as fussy as you used to be about prettying yourself up every once in a while" The purple pony said, not trying to be rude.

Applejack nodded nicely. She and Fluttershy both took a moment to get a better look at the dresses their friend made them, the Pegasus delighted with how her dress turned out.

"Thank ya kindly, Rarity. Ya sure do live up that element of generosity of yours," Applejack mused with a smile.

"Yes, thank you Rarity," Fluttershy added, “The dress sure is lovely. You're such a great friend to us,"

Rarity smiled, "No need thanking me, it was all my pleasure! And of course Fluttershy, It comes natural to treat my friends as great as I possibly can. You'll have to tell me about everything that goes on tonight. Have a wonderful night, girls and remember to send Lyra and BonBon my best wishes!" Rarity mused, returning to controlling the bothersome filly getting into another stack of clothing. After telling Sweetie Belle to go somewhere, she paused and thought for a moment, "So, are you two going to put the dresses on now, or come and pick them up later? I'm afraid you never told me the time of your date,"

Fluttershy thought for a second, then said ,"Oh, now, um, the dates in 30 minutes...I think"

"OH! Alright dear! Go on you two, you can change over in the dressing rooms in the back! I think it's better if you tried them on now anyway, just in case I need to make any last minute adjustments. Everything needs to be perfect!"

The purple pony returned to her regular sewing while they changed. After a few minutes, Applejack finished dressing first.

The unicorn gasped happily, trotting over from her sewing machine to greet the orange pony "Oh my, darling Applejack, you look spectacular! My oh my, Rarity you've done it again! How does it feel?" Rarity said with a beaming smile.

"Ah reckon it feels awfully comfy! Ya did great Rarity. Ah truly appreciate this. Between you an' me," She put her hoof to Rarity's ear and whispered, "Ah'm a nervous as a filly. It's me and Fluttershy's first date an' I want it to go perfect,"

"Oh Applejack, I'm sure it will go splendidly. Just be yourself, if Fluttershy loves you for you, then that's all she wants at the date" Rarity mused. Applejack took the advice in.

"What if, Ah embarrass maself. Ah've never actually taken somepony on a date, just been taken on one, ya know?"

"Well, there is a second couple going to be there, so I think it should be pretty easy to get along and have a good time. I personally have not been on any double dates, but whenever I went on a date with a stallion, everything usually went fine if they treated me like a queen, like I'm everything to them. See! That's what you should do for Fluttershy. But remember to be yourself, just...say what your heart is saying,"

Applejack was thrown back by the wisdom of Rarity's words.

All ah need to do is be maself, nothin' else, Treat her likes she's the only mare for me…Ah guess this makes sense

"Gosh, Thank ya, Rarity. That's some darn good advice if ah've ever heard any," Applejack mused gratefully, her nerves calmed.

"Anytime darling, anytime! I absolutely love giving advice…!" the purple unicorn said proudly, busy trying to snatch a dress she made from Sweetie Belle, who was once again getting into the older unicorn's stuff.

Applejack relinquished a giggle at the younger pony's hijinks, as Rarity attempted to chase her younger sister while keeping her perfectly groomed mane intact. Through breaths you could hear the filly shouting ,"Cutie Mark Crusader!...beauty queens!...need a dress!...come on Rarity!!!"

Applebloom a beauty queen? Applejack chuckled quietly to herself.

While Rarity was being busy with her troublesome sibling, Fluttershy returned, in her nervous little stance expecting two ponies to be staring right her. All she was met was with the adoring eyes on Applejack, who was immediately stunned by how beautiful she looked in the dress. The earth pony's heart skipped a beat at the sight of the lovely mare.

Fluttershy was finally able to hold off one of her squeaks to ask ,"Oh, um where's Rarity"

"Y-ya look absolutely absolutely amazin' sugarcube.." Applejack said, star-struck, completely disregarding Fluttershy's question. Fluttershy couldn't prevent a squeak that time, face reddening from being flattered by Applejack.

Rarity heard Fluttershy's little squeal and quickly left the situation with her sister to see her.

"Fluttershy! oh my goodness, that dress is just PERFECT on you! My oh my, it seems to fit perfectly! You look great! Never mind what I think... darling, what do YOU think?" Rarity said. She then remembered that she was a unicorn, and snatched the dress from Sweetie Belle using her magic, with an immediate, "OH COME ON!" from the young filly.

"Oh, um. Rarity it's great, like all of your dresses. It fits perfectly, the stitching is perfect, and the French Haute Couture!" Fluttershy mused with a smile.

"That's just so great to hear! Thank you Fluttershy," She turned her head to Applejack, who's eyes were glued to the shy Pegasus, "I can see SOMEPONY who also approves," Rarity said with genuine laughter, as she motioned towards the star-struck Applejack.

Applejack couldn't help it. She had always thought Fluttershy was beautiful, nopony could deny unless it was Fluttershy herself being modest. Seeing her mare in such a gorgeous dress had an enchanting effect on her, cheeks reddening as she gazed at the shy Pegasus .

I'm falling for the one mare in Ponyville that to me, is perfect...Ah’m such a lucky pony…

Realizing they were awaiting her response, the earth pony snapped out of it, "Oh, uh, of course Rarity!" Applejack sputtered, blushing from being slightly embarrassed, "But ah think it's time we head off. Probably got 'bout 20 minutes to meet Lyra and BonBon, can't be wastin' no time!"

Rarity nodded, waving her hoof passively, "Of course, dear. Have a SPECTACULAR night, girls!"

After a last goodbye to the purple pony, the two left her shop and started off on their short trip to their date, in their newly-made attire. Applejack didn't waste time to tell Fluttershy her thoughts.

"'Shy, she did absolutely amazing on your dress, ah love it.." The earth pony said almost in a daze over the Pegasus.

"Yes...she did, nice. Both of our dresses look wonderful," Fluttershy said happily.
Applejack just smiled sheepishly at Fluttershy.

"What? Applejack, you're making me blush..." Fluttershy said quietly, with a little smile.

"It's just that, ya look great, ah mean it. And, Ah-Ah, well. Ah know we haven't exactly said it yet, but, an it might be a little early, but gosh darn...ah really wanna say it.." The earth pony sighed for confidence, "Ah love-"

Before Applejack could finish, they heard a shout from behind them.

"Hey you two! What are you all dressed fancy for?" A Rainbow Pegasus soon flew in front of them, flying upside-down and facing them.

"Hey Rainbow! Um it's for a date," said the surprisingly not-startled Fluttershy.

"A date huh? Just you-Oh yeah! you guys are together now huh?" Said Rainbow Dash, as she flipped back upright, still flying backwards to face them

"Yep!" Applejack said proudly, "We've been going out 3 weeks, ah'm sure we already told ya. It's a double date with Lyra and BonBon, they set the whole thang up!"

"That's cool I guess. I've been working on a new trick, and that's kinda why there are some clouds out today, kinda busy doing my own stuff. Like THIS!" The energetic pony darted into the air with blazing speed, did several challenging flips, bursting a few clouds in the process. After another round of acrobatic flips, she flew back down right in front of them.

"Not bad, huh??" The blue Pegasus said, trying to stifle her breaths, to make it seem like it was easy for her to do.

"Dash, ya already know we know yer tricks are cool and such, no need ta impress us. We saw ya do the Sonic Rainboom multiple times, remember," The earth pony said in a matter-of-fact way.

"Well YEAH! But I don't want just THAT to describe me. I'm RAINBOW DASH, a pony that can do anything! Not just the Schmonic Schmainboom," She said, voice cracking a little, talking as if the feat was possible by any Pegasus.
Applejack shook her head "Dash, Dash,Dash. Always trying to 1-up yerself. What in the hay are ya doin' all this practicing for, anyway?"

"You'll see" The pony said bluntly with a grin on her face.

"Ah'm sure we will sugarcube!" She said, hinting to Dash that she wanted some alone time with Fluttershy.

"Alright, alright. I'll be on my way. You guys have a good date or whatever," The blue Pegasus said, and then sped off in midair, doing multiple tricks, just so she could leave with a bang.

Soon, a silence set in, and it was just the two ponies walking side by side to meet some friends. To Applejack, it was just her and Fluttershy, she wasn't thinking about anypony, or anything else. Her mind was flooded with thoughts.

Why am ah so nervous to tell Fluttershy that ah love her…maybe she doesn't love me back...?

She dwelled on that thought for a second, then shook her head lightly -no, Applejack, don't be ridiculous. Maybes it's a little too early to tell her... ? Applejack stared off into space lost in thought. But ah love her now! Ah gotta say what ma heart is sayin…

"Finally..." Applejack said, getting Fluttershy's attention, and with another sigh for confidence, the pony spoke up ,"Ah know we've only been together for 3 weeks, but ah just…you've been all ah've thought about, even when ah'm at the farm. Ah don't care if it may be a little early, I juss want ta say," She got closer to the Pegasus, her cheeks reddening , "Ah lov-"

"Hey you guys, what’s the occasion?" interrupted Twilight Sparkle, walking over to the two with a smile on her face. Applejack gave Twilight a death-stare when she wasn't looking.

"Oh, Hey Twilight," Fluttershy responded while Applejack silently cursed her luck, "We're going on our um, first date, with Lyra and BonBon,"

"Oh that's great to hear! It sounds awfully fun. I'm out going to get Spike some gems for dinner. Probably just going to stop on by Rarity's and ask for a few...don't really feel like digging and of course, with my luck, Spike is sleeping, and I don’t want to wake him!" The unicorn rambled, but the kind Pegasus didn't mind, they still had 10 minutes to get to their date.

"Oh! The baby dragon, Oh, he's so cute," Said Fluttershy, happily thinking of the little dragon.

"You two sure look great in those dresses...I can see Rarity put a lot of work into them..." The unicorn said meaningfully, walking beside them.

"Thank you Twilight...um could you tell Rarity that we love the dresses, I just want her to know we appreciate her work, um don't tell her i told you to say it, though," The yellow pony said shyly. Applejack nodded. She sincerely liked the dress even if dress-wearing isn't her thing.

"No problem, Fluttershy. You girls really do look cute together!"

Applejack smiled "Shucks, Twilight that's awfully nice of ya," She said proudly, glancing at Fluttershy. She moved a rogue hair out of her eyesight, then continued, "But ah think it's 'bout time we make our way to meet the other two, if ya ain't early, you're late, ya know?"

"Oh ok, I need to get Spike his gems before he wakes up and gets cranky, anyway. Have a great time girls, you're going to have to tell me how it goes, “Twilight said with a smile, soon making her way to get her baby dragon some food.

"Bye Twilight!" said the happy Fluttershy, while Applejack just sighed in relief. They were close to their destination, and she just wanted to be by Fluttershy with no more distractions. The whole way there she expected Pinkie Pie to pop up from a tree or a box or something unusual. However, in the mean-time, she decided she would enjoy her time with the shy pony before the date, no stressful admittance of love, just make small-talk until they join Lyra and BonBon so she’ll be comfortable.

"Ah reckon this should be a fun time Fluttershy," She mused, smiling while slowly walking, “Lyra and BonBon sure are some nice ponies from what ah’ve seen, Even though ah only met them once,”

"I'm sure it will be, BonBon is just such a fun pony. Never got to talk much to Lyra at the party, but I’m sure she is nice too,"

"Yeah, me either, she seemed ta only go there because BonBon made 'er" The earth pony chuckled, then continued, "Ah'm only going 'cause ah like bein' with you,"

Fluttershy smiled, "You always treat me so well, Applejack..." She then subtly moved a little closer to the orange pony.
Applejack smiled and blushed, "It's just natural to treat the one ah care about the most, the best ah can," The earth pony said, mentally bashing herself for not saying love.

"Well, it makes me really happy, to know you um, care this much...I've never had anypony treat me so well...," Fluttershy looked down slightly embarrassed. Applejack knows that it's hard for her to share her feelings without a squeal, and it meant a lot to her. She gently gave her a kiss on the cheek as they walked up the steps to The 4-Horseshoe Restaurant.