• Published 9th Nov 2013
  • 2,333 Views, 88 Comments

Is It Everything You Dreamed, Miss Sparkle? - Arreis Of Avalon



Becoming a princess means you get a lot of power. However, what happens when the power you have was obtained through dark means? Twilight battles with her own feelings after learning the secret of her princess hood.

  • ...
11
 88
 2,333

Rage And Power

“Formation!” Twilight glared at the God standing before her, anger teaming in her mind. This God had changed all of her friends, made them turn on her. “Now!!”

Around her, her 5 – scratch that, 4 close friends gathered. “Eh” they all said in unison. None of them seemed to care. None of them cared at all.

Twilight refused to give up, however. She had spent so long with these ponies already, and all of them were her friends, no matter what they did… Even though they weren’t exactly the friends she knew… “Rainbow Dash! Get over here!” She saw Spike glance at her from behind the rock Rarity had named ‘Tom’. He jotted on over, gulping. Twilight glared at Discord more, sighing. “Alright. Let’s get this over with.” She noticed a harder edge to her voice than she had ever noticed before. She wasn’t quite herself today.

Shutting her eyes tight, she felt power surge within her. The power of the Elements. Yes, that was what it was. She focused on channeling all the power she had to her crown. Around the 4 ponies and one dragon, wind howled. Twilight noted dimly that it wasn’t the same howling as when they had defeated Nightmare Moon.

Feeling further power rising within her, Twilight let it all surge forth. All her anger, sadness, pain. She let it roam wild in her body, mixing with her magic. It was intoxicating, like freshly brewed cider, but with a sweeter edge. She felt herself rise up as though on wings, almost imagining the bones bending through her back. She opened white eyes, feeling her radiance light the dim world this ‘God’ had created. She felt her crown burst with light.

Suddenly, something clicked in her mind. It would never work. Her friends weren’t the elements anymore. She didn’t even have Loyalty at her side. She would never be able to defeat a God. She was merely a pawn to his game, a small little trinket in the big scheme of things. Twilight suddenly felt very small.

She suddenly could see Discord, the world around her. The light had faded. She fell to the ground, feeling powerless and weak. “What’s going on,” she asked, though she knew the answer. She had failed.

“Mine’s workin’,” Applejack said. “There must be somethin’ wrong with yours.”

“I HATE the Elements of Harmony!” Pinkie shut her eyes defiantly, obviously angry.

“Huh,” Fluttershy said indifferently, taking off her necklace. “Garbage.” She threw the necklace to the side.

“MIIIINE!” Rarity lunged for the necklace, grabbing it at once and dashing off once more.

“Sorry Twilight,” Spike said hesitantly. He laid the Element down at her hooves. “I guess I better get back upstairs and clean up the library. Good luck with all this- WOAH,” he said, tripping over Fluttershy’s tail.

“Oops. Sorry, Rainbow Crash!”

Twilight rolled her eyes and turned to Discord. “Bravo, ponies,” he said, clapping his claw and paw to make various sounds. “Bravo! Harmony in Equestria is OFFICIALLY dead. Discord rules, Celestia drools.” He poked Twilight in the nose, laughing.

Twilight snarled at him, feeling a strange anger unlike her own rise within her. This PETTY GOD had ruined EVERYTHING! He skated away, laughing. She watched him go, imagining a flaming pit where he had stood.

Not yet, my pet. Wait for that power. You are weak until you understand me.

Her eyes widened slightly. That wasn’t her thought…

My my, powerful enough to hear me. Powerful enough to end him, don’t you think?

Twilight looked around for the source, unwilling to believe it came from her own mind, but was quickly distracted by others around her. “It’s YOUR fault it didn’t work,” Pinkie said beside her, yelling after Discord.

“Who are you talking to,” Twilight asked, bewildered.

“ANY OF YOU! ALL OF YOU! I’m outta here!” Pinkie hopped away, obviously annoyed.

“Ah better go too,” Applejack said. “I got new, BETTER friends waiting for me at the farm.” Twilight watched her go, hearing Rarity groan as she and ‘Tom’ left as well.

“Yeah,” Fluttershy said from above. Twilight turned to see her flying away. “I’m sick of you LOSERS!”

“FINE!” Twilight shouted to no one in particular, the voice a dim, fading thought in her mind. “Leave! S-see if I care! I don’t need you guys either! With friends like you… who needs…” She sighed, looking down at the ground. “Enemies…” She felt a tear roll down her face and fall to the ground. This is what friendship felt like? Then I’ve had enough of it.
+~+~+~

Twilight was walking through Ponyville, lost in thought. She realized she was being chocolate rained on, but she didn’t really care at this point. What’s the point of being here anymore? I have no power without my friends, and now my friends are… But, wait, we nearly defeated Discord back there… What if I’m a lot stronger than I thought without them? Twilight nodded to herself, thinking hard. Yeah, I don’t need them. Not anymore.

Good, pet. Keep thinking that way. Recognize your true strength.

Twilight was too tired and confused to argue with the voice. She realized dimly that it was the real voice, the one she had heard throughout her entire life. Why NOT listen to it? It was a part of her. Why ignore a part of her?

She briefly noticed Discord appear next to her, rambling about something or another that he had just done. Honestly, she couldn’t care less. She didn’t care what he had done to Ponyville. She didn’t care what he had done to her friends. I don’t need them anyways.

“Come now, Twilight Sparkle,” Discord said, appearing in front of her. She looked up at the obstacle in her way, seeing him as nothing more than a moving figure blocking her path. “You’ve got to get into the spirit of things!” She watched him eat the candy cloud that had rested above her, getting cotton candy smeared on his face. Such a childlike God. “After all,” He continued, “this is your new home!”

Twilight glanced around, looking at all of the chaos that surrounded her. “Not anymore.” With that, she began to walk away, dejected.

She briefly heard Discord behind her exulting his victory, but she didn’t care. She just kept walking to the library. I don’t care about him in the slightest. I don’t care about anything except finally going home.

Twilight opened the door and walked upstairs, her mind feeling numb. Nothing was right about this mess, but what could she do? The Elements had failed. I don’t need ANY of it anymore. No friends, no Elements – I’m more powerful than any of those. I just proved that, didn’t I? I just want to go back to Canterlot and extend my magical abilities there. Wait, no, I can’t go to Canterlot… Celestia would have my head… Bothersome Alicorns… “Pack your things, Spike, we’re leaving.” She dimly noted that he was curled up against the floor. “And don’t ask where we’re going, cause… I dunno yet. Just… not here.” With that, she levitated her crown to the trash can, realizing that it had no true power. She was more powerful without it – She knew that now.

Twilight looked at Spike as she heard him groan loudly. She realized he had been groaning like that since she arrived. “Can’t,” she heard him say haltingly. “Move… The Princess… has been sending these-“ Groan. “-Since I came back upstairs!” In a fiery blast, another scroll appeared. “Make it s-stop,” he whined in pain.

Twilight realized with a start that the room was littered with letters and scrolls. She lifted one up with her magic, reading it over quickly. “These are all the letters I’ve written to the Princess since I’ve lived in Ponyville… But… why would she send them back?” Were they not good enough? Did she finally reach the intelligent conclusion that I have? Friendship is meaningless? Why not just burn these bothersome things?

Read them pet. Her eyes widened as the voice resurfaced, startled that she had forgotten it. See the truth beneath the lies. All of the words between the words, the pages between the pages – See all of the things she never heard you say.

Twilight flicked through the letters, reading nearly every single one, despite being somewhat scared about the voice. She wasn’t sure why she was listening to the voice as it commanded her. She just felt the need to, the attraction of listening to the soothing, nearly purring voice – That voice which ebbed like flowing water, sometimes in a male voice, or in a mare’s voice, or something Twilight had never even encountered before. She read through them all, as it commanded.

Reading them, parts seemed to stand out in her mind – One in particular. There’s a way through any problem. Friendship is a magical thing, right? But it failed this time… Her eyes widened slightly with realization. That’s the problem this time… If there’s a way through every problem… I had strength back there… If my memories can let me see this, then all I need to do is…

“Spike! Spike, it’s all so clear!” She turned to him, letting the scrolls drop from her magical grasp. She picked up the baby dragon, smiling brightly, feeling a strange sort of power fluxing in her bones – Different than usual. Majestic. Powerful. Invigorating. “Can’t you see? Discord’s trying to distract us from what’s important.” She bounced around a bit, trying to work off some of this hyperactive energy that filled her suddenly. She was so caught up in the moment, she passed it off as an adrenaline spike. “He knows how powerful our friendships are, and he’s trying to keep us from seeing it!” She rubbed his face against hers, ignoring his groaning.

She was understanding everything now. “Do you remember what I said the first day we arrived in Ponyville? I told you that the future of Equestria didn’t rest on my making friends. But the opposite is true! The friendships I’ve made since I’ve been here are what saved Equestria from Nightmare Moon, and now they need to save it from Discord!” These friendships have shown me my own personal power – The power resting within my soul, that I can use to save them from themselves… I can protect my friends, even if they aren’t my friends anymore. I can still protect them, use MY power now.

She heard Spike groan, but was too caught up in her own thoughts, attributing what she thought to something he had said. “You’re right, Spike. I’ve got to fight for my friendships. For them. For me. For Equestria!” She looked at him, beaming, until she finally let herself realize how under the weather Spike was. “Oh… Uh… Why don’t you just… stay here and rest? I’ll take care of the whole ‘fighting for friendship’ thing myself.” With that, Twilight walked out of the room, beaming. She finally understood what she had to do. She had to fight with her magic – And had to fight for those who had led her down this path. Of course, the voice inside reminded her, do not forget to fight for yourself – After all, you’ve done the most to get here. Caught in the action and excitement of the moment, Twilight merely nodded, filing away the voice for now. She would concentrate on it later.

Author's Note:

This chapter took way too long to write xD
Hope you all enjoy it~