• Published 9th Nov 2013
  • 2,333 Views, 88 Comments

Is It Everything You Dreamed, Miss Sparkle? - Arreis Of Avalon



Becoming a princess means you get a lot of power. However, what happens when the power you have was obtained through dark means? Twilight battles with her own feelings after learning the secret of her princess hood.

  • ...
11
 88
 2,333

Thinking Is Dreaming

Discord laughed, a chocolate milk glass in his claw. Around him, chaos reigned. Colors shifted, ponies crumbled, buildings grew, and everything was becoming simply grand in his eyes. “Chaos,” he said as a toast, holding up the glass, “is a wonderful, WONDERFUL thing!”

“Not,” he heard, causing him to stop his drinking of the toast, “as wonderful as friendship!”

“Oh, this again?” He rolled his eyes and drank down his glass, discarding the chocolate milk. He smirked as he heard an ear-shattering boom behind him.

“That’s righ’,” Applejack added, her voice shaking ever so slightly before the God who had changed her personality so utterly and completely. Still, she held her head high. “You couldn’t break apart our friendship for long!”

“Oh Applejack, don’t lie to me.” With a quick flick of his paw, Applejack sailed towards him. She struggled, but his power was too great. She rose up to his level. “I’m the one who made you a liar.” In turn, 5 of the 6 elements joined him, in his power. “Will you ever learn?”

Twilight watched this, feeling a calm anger take her body over. It was a cunning anger as she realized, he didn’t notice they had changed. He had gotten overconfident. With a spark of her horn, she appeared in the midst of her friends, creating a shield from his magic around them. Discord looked stunned, and rightfully so. A mere pony with enough power to block even Chaos Magic?...

Twilight landed on the ground with all of her friends. She noticed dimly that the ground beneath her grew back to the soil and green grass it had once been. She smiled triumphantly at Discord’s bewildered face. He has every right to be confused, her little voice said. After all, he wasn’t expecting you to be so powerful, pet. Twilight nodded ever so slightly, unnoticed by anypony gathered. She trusted this voice, albeit cautiously, for the mere fact that it had been a part of her for so long – and it had been, she realized. She had analyzed her own thoughts and came to realize that not all of them were hers. This voice had led her to who she was today, and sweet Celestia, was she going to listen to it.

“I’ll tell you what we’ve learned, Discord.” Her smile grew. “We’ve learned that friendship isn’t always easy, but there’s no doubt it’s worth fighting for!” Her friends all joined around her, all of them strong under her leadership. She couldn’t help but smirk inwardly, despite the seriousness of this moment. Celestia should make me a princess, if everypony likes my leadership this much.

Not as yet, pet – The time for that will come.

Twilight was slightly surprised that her voice – she had to think of a good name for it – would think she had any serious chance of being a princess. That was just a silly old idea.

Not as silly as you might think. Now, pay attention.

“EEW, Gag!” Twilight snapped back to reality as Discord leaned close to her face. “Fine, go ahead. Try and use your little Elements of Harmony. ‘Friend me’. Just make it quick!” He teleported back to his throne, pigs flying in the distance. “I’m missing some excellent chaos here!”

“Alright, Ladies,” Twilight said, feeling her inner power beginning to grow already. “Let’s show him what friendship can do!”
+~+~+~

“We are gathered here today to once again honor the heroism of these 6 friends,” Celestia said, her smile proud. Before her stood, gathered, all of the Elemental bearers. “Who stood up to the villain, Discord,” she continued, “and saved Equestira from eternal chaos!”

A resounding cheer rose through the ranks of all those gathered. Everypony rejoiced in the fact that their saviors, the Elements of Harmony, had saved them all. Nopony noticed the false smile on Celestia’s face. Nopony but her faithful student, the one who knew her better than anypony. Twilight Sparkle watched her mentor, worried inside. Her face betrayed none of her fretting, however – After all, she had just saved Equestria from certain doom.

Everypony turned as Celestia’s horn glowed with a bright magic. Two curtains were pulled away from the wall to reveal a strained glass picture – Discord, defeated once more by all 6 Elements. Everypony cheered once more, and all of the Elemental Bearers turned and smiled to the applause. They were heroes.
*~*~*~

Twilight groaned as she sat up in bed once more. She could not, for the life of her, get to sleep. She glanced at her clock, squinting to read the time.

3:47 am.

“Uuuuugh…” She shook her head softly, glancing over at the small form of Spike, curled up in his bed. Out like a light…

Gingerly, Twilight shifted herself off the bed, trotting downstairs to the kitchen. She might as well grab a late-night snack if she wasn’t going to sleep. Maybe she could stay up a little and read. That might help her sort out the endless stream of thoughts that invaded her mind tonight.

Yawning, she trotted to the fridge. She opened it up, hardly paying attention to what she was doing. Instead, she focused mainly on her thoughts. Or… Perhaps another’s thoughts.

The Princess seemed a bit… odd at the ceremony today. On edge. I hope nothing’s wrong…

Nothing is wrong, my pet. No, everything is going just… deliciously.

Twilight shivered slightly at the voice. She recalled throughout the past all of the various times she had heard it. It was always when she was at her most powerful. Perhaps… Was this the true source of her magical prowess? Why she was able to defeat both Discord and Nightmare Moon?

The voice was stubbornly silent. Twilight frowned slightly, her snack forgotten. She shut the door, thinking. I remember reading somewhere that Luna used to walk into dreams… I wonder if thoughts are any different… I suppose a thought is a sort of dream… Or maybe…

“Maybe I just need to fall asleep…” Twilight sat on one of the chairs at the table, eager to test her theory. If she was correct, then she could begin to communicate directly with the voice, this… thing. She still needed something to call it other than a voice. She felt almost… almost schizophrenic, calling it a voice. She wasn’t insane. There was logic behind even this.

She rehearsed the dream spell in her head a few times. After being sure she had it down, she took a deep breath. Slowly, her horn began to glow. She focused on the thought, the voice, daydreaming slightly of being able to see it and speak to it. Ever slowly, the spell began to fade to the back of her mind. She felt herself beginning to nod off.

She was so tired, suddenly… She scarcely felt her head against the table as her eyes closed. Above her head, the dull light of the spell remained around her horn. Just as slowly as she had begun to fall asleep, the purple aura there began to darken to a sinister black.

Why… Hello, Miss Sparkle~

Author's Note:

*yawns* Slightly short chapter.
My my, the pet is learning~

Edited by DrakeFang, as always~