• Published 9th Nov 2013
  • 2,332 Views, 88 Comments

Is It Everything You Dreamed, Miss Sparkle? - Arreis Of Avalon



Becoming a princess means you get a lot of power. However, what happens when the power you have was obtained through dark means? Twilight battles with her own feelings after learning the secret of her princess hood.

  • ...
11
 88
 2,332

Nightmare Night: Paper Moon

The mayor smirked as she spoke to all the little fillies and colts. Twilight chuckled as she watched the children titter in fear. She had never really celebrated Nightmare Night at home - she had spent the night reading. Here, however, Nightmare Night was a celebration as big as Hearths Warming. She loved the decorations, and just the general atmosphere of ‘spookiness’. Even though very few ponies seemed to like her Star Swirl costume. Her conversations with Ardor had given her the idea to dress as the influential unicorn.

She thought for a moment about the days since the want it - need it spell. Her mind seemed to have recovered nicely, and since then, she hadn’t seen any hallucinations that were horribly bizarre. The last thing that had caught her eyes was a slight surge of anger over Spike calling her grandpa earlier. She had moved beyond that, however, and Spike didn’t seem to think it was too out of character. So far, so good.

“Now all the little ponies who have been out collecting sweets should follow our friend Zecora to hear the legend of Nightmare Moon,” the mayor announced with a menacing ‘oooo’, followed by a cackle befitting her clown costume.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Spooky voice might work better is she wasn't dressed like that.” Twilight giggled at his comment - he was right, after all. The mayor really wasn’t that scary.

Twilight smiled and watched as the stage was filled with a green mist. “Follow me,” Zecora said from the smoke, beckoning the fillies and colts away from the town, towards the Everfree, “and very soon you'll hear the tale of Nightmare Moon.” Foals followed her, as did Twilight and Spike. They were chaperones tonight, after all (at least, Twilight was. Spike was one of the kids listening). “Listen close my little dears, and I'll tell you where you got your fears... of Nightmare Night, so dark and scary; Of Nightmare Moon, who makes you wary.”

Suddenly, green mist curled around the children. Twilight was surprised, though not scared - Zecora had done well with that dust. The foals, already somewhat scared from the forest, huddled close together, eyes wide as they looked around. “Every year, we put on a disguise, to save ourselves, from her searching eyes.”

Twilight squinted as she looked around the mist. She saw a pair of eyes, prowling around the children. For a moment, she feared she was hallucinating - until she saw Zecora’s slim body hunkered close to the ground. She smiled softly and stifled a small, conspiratorial giggle. A few children screamed as they saw the eyes. “But Nightmare Moon wants just one thing,” Zecora whispered, her voice carrying.

Twilight’s eyes widened as she saw a very lifelike form of Nightmare Moon appear in the form of green mist. Something inside her flinched, afraid; it wasn’t hard to guess what. She gulped as Zecora continued, taking a deep breath in the hopes of keeping both her and Ardor calm. “To gobble up ponies in one quick swing!!”

She felt like snorting after hearing that, a welcome change from the slight dread. She had fought Nightmare Moon. Speaking from personal experience, she was fairly sure Nightmare Moon’s monstrous appetite wasn’t what she should be feared for. “Hungerly, she soars the sky. If she sees nopony, she passes by. So if she comes and all is clear, Equestria is safe another year!”

The mist began to dissipate. Twilight felt like giggling. What a silly story, she thought as a colt talked with Zecora.

I quite agree, the familiar voice of Ardor responded silently in her mind. The Luna I knew never ate much, to be honest. Celestia was the one who ate too much.

Twilight snorted as quietly as she could, eliciting a glance from Spike. She cleared her throat as Zecora put on more of a show for the children. Now now, Ardor, be kind.

You’ve seen how easily she gains weight. I’m simply stating a fact. When she said we had to banish Luna to the moon, I briefly contemplated asking her which: the one in the sky, or the one she wore on her flanks.

Twilight was trying very hard, and was failing very badly, to hold back her fit of giggles. She really shouldn’t be laughing, especially about her mentor - but she had to admit, it was funny.

Yet, she quickly stopped her giggles as she saw the mist leave after a particularly strong gust of wind. How odd…

*~*~*~

Twilight got back to town as the mysterious and dark pony flew to the ground. The pony landed and flipped back her hood just as lightning struck nearby.

Twilight’s eyes widened. Luna had changed.

Luna? Twilight nodded, taking a deep breath. She wasn’t sure how Ardor would take this.

Ponies around her all fell to the ground. Twilight smiled. The best way to handle this would be to talk to her. It had been so long since she had seen her. “Princess Luna!” She started to walk forward, but was quickly pulled down by Spike. She gasped in surprise and glanced at him. He simply put his claw to her mouth and shh’ed her.

Twilight turned to look at Luna, rolling her eyes at the dragon. She tried to stand, but as she looked at Luna again, she found herself frozen. She heard a single whisper in the back of her mind; Don’t move. She felt her breath catch in her lungs. She could only watch as Luna trotted forward.

Luna reached forth her hoof, taking a deep breath. “Citizens of Ponyville! We have graced your tiny village with our presence so that you might behold the real Princess of the Night; a creature of nightmares no longer, but instead a pony who desires your love and admiration! Together we shall change this dreadful celebration into a bright and glorious feast!

Lightning struck and Pinkie stood up, eyes wide with terror. “Did you hear that, everypony?! Nightmare Moon said she’s going to feast on us all!!” All of the children around her screamed and ran with her.

Luna watched them, bewildered. “What? No, children, no! You no longer have reason to fear us! Screams of delight is what your princess desires; not screams of terror!” Luna spun around, walking towards the mayor. “Madam Mayor! Thy Princess of the Night hath arrived!”

Luna waited, but nothing happened. She watched as ponies cowered before her. “What is the matter with you?” Luna glanced around at all those gathered, but each pony flinched back in fright. She growled lightly under her breath. “Very well then. Be that way! We won’t even bother with the traditional royal farewell!”

Luna strode off in a huff. Twilight stood, the paralysis that had consumed her suddenly lifted. What was all of that about… There was no response. Twilight glanced after the princess. “I’m going to go talk to her.”

NO!

Twilight stopped suddenly as the voice in her head shouted. Ardor? She looked behind her as Spike tugged on her costume. “You can’t talk to her! She’s Nightmare Moon!”

Twilight tugged her outfit out of his grasp. “No, she’s not… I saw the Elements of Harmony change her back to good! It… seems like she’s having trouble adjusting after being gone for 1000 years.” Twilight started walking, leaving Spike to trick or treat. She needed some alone time with Ardor.

*~*~*~

She found herself wandering through the Everfree. Twilight knew exactly how she knew Luna was in here. It was Ardor. They had been connected somehow, and he knew how to find her. Still, she had a few moments before she got to Luna. Ardor?

Yes, Twilight Sparkle?

Are you… okay? Why were we so frozen earlier? Why did you tell me no?

There was a slight pause before he answered. Twilight, I’m… scared. It’s been so long. She’s so different.

Twilight could hear the wavering of his voice. She sighed. Ardor, you’ve got to keep control of your emotions. She might be different, but she’s still Luna. You’ve got to trust me on this.

Just… Be careful, Twilight. I don’t want a repeat of Celestia. I don’t want to live in fear of the only pony who was truly my friend.

Twilight shook her head. She still didn’t understand that part of the story. The magic of friendship is what powered the Elements, but Ardor was adamant that Luna was his only friend. How did that work?

Twilight stopped as she saw Luna lying before the statue of Nightmare Moon. There was time enough later to speak to Ardor. No doubt she would need to, with how he was acting. She sighed and tilted her head softly. “Princess Luna?” The princess lifted her head, but didn’t turn. “Hi. My name is -”

“Starswirl the Bearded.” Twilight’s eyes widened. “Commendable costume,” Luna said as she stood. “Thou even got the bells right.”

Twilight smiled. Of course Luna would recognize her costume; Starswirl was, in nearly every sense of the word, her father. “Thank you! Finally, somepony who gets my costume!” Twilight looked Luna in the eyes. There was worry there, and heartbreak. Twilight gulped. “Uh… I just came to welcome you to our celebration. My actual name is -”

“Twilight Sparkle.” She shivered; Luna’s voice was deeper now, more demanding. She felt the urge to take a step back, as though fleeing a predator. “It was thou who unleashed the powers of harmony upon us, and took away our dark powers!

Twilight struggled against the wind that rose up as Luna flapped her wings. She opened her eyes to see Nightmare Moon before her, in all her evil - yet in all her glory. In a flash of lightning, the image was gone, leaving only Luna. She fixed her hat, smiling as best she could after the slight hallucination. “And… that was a good thing, right?”

“But of course… We could not be happier. Is that not clear?

Twilight shied away again, trying to smile. “Well… You kinda sound like you’re yelling at me.”

Luna straightened up, and for a single instant, Twilight saw the slightest bit of surprise in the princess. It was gone as quickly as it appeared. “But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice. It is tradition to speak with the royal ‘we’, and to use this much volume when addressing our subjects!

Twilight stared back at her, wide eyed. Did she… really? In the past?

Too much, Twilight. Far, far too much.

Twilight grinned again, trying hard to keep up those smiles. “You know, that might explain why your appearance was met with… mixed results.” Twilight trotted up to Luna. “I think if you just changed your approach a bit, you might be met with a warmer reception.” She put her hoof on the lunar crest the princess wore, but flinched back quickly; when she touched it, she saw another image before her.

It had been but a quick flash, but Twilight memorized every part of it she could in that time. Nearly everything was the same; Luna, standing in the forest, eyes wide with concern. But Twilight was gone; in her place stood Ardor, but not as Twilight knew him. A tall, strong stallion, covered in golden armor. His eyes shone a deep and enticing teal, but lighter than most; at times, his eyes almost appeared white. His fur was a light tan, and his mane a dark caramel color. Furthermore, he was an alicorn. Twilight took a deep breath, assuming that smile. More to discuss.

Change our approach?

Twilight took a split second to regain her place in the conversation. “Uh… lower the volume?”

“Oh… We have been locked away for 1000 years. We are… not sure we can.”

Twilight smiled. “It’ll be fine, princess. Why don’t you come with me? We can talk along the way back to town; I’ve got a friend who surely can teach you to speak softer.”

“Thank thee, Twilight Sparkle. Thy kindness is welcome.”

Twilight giggled softly. “Kindness is exactly who we’re going to see.”

*~*~*~

Luna sighed as she walked through the town, Twilight smiled sheepishly, all the while glaring at all those who dropped to the ground in fright as Luna walked past. They had already had a run in with Pinkie at Fluttershy’s house, and Twilight had seen a massive shift in the princess. She seemed not only sad, but angry. Almost resentful. It was odd.

“It is of no use, Twilight Sparkle. They have never liked us, and they never shall…”

“My friend, Applejack, is one of the most likeable ponies around. I’m sure she’ll have some ideas!” Twilight smiled, but sighed inwardly. She sounds so angry.

I have only heard her talk like this once before. Please, Twilight, try to make her… happy.

I will, Ardor. Don’t worry.

Twilight snapped back to reality as she heard Applejack gasp. She rolled her eyes as the farm pony fell to the ground in fright, just as everypony else had. “Uh… Applejack? The princess is looking for a little advice on how to fit in around here.”

“Fit in?” Applejack looked at her. “Really?” Twilight grumbled, glaring at her. Applejack quickly stood. “Ah mean,” she said, clearing her throat, “that’s easy! All you gotta do is have the right attitude. Loosen up a bit! Be positive. Play a few games and have some fun!”

“Fun?” Luna looked bewildered. “What is this fun thou speakest of?” Applejack pointed her to a bowl of toy spiders. Luna trotted up to them. “Pray tell… what purpose do these serve?”

“T-try to l-land the sp-piders on the web,” the quivering mare in a bee costume said. Luna picked on up, looking at it critically before tossing it. It landed on the ground and bounced a few inches. She looked back, confused, at Twilight and Applejack.

“You can do it, Princess,” Applejack shouted, smiling.

Luna turned back toward the web and tossed much harder. The spider soared and landed square in the middle of the web. She gasped in delight. “Ha! Your princess enjoys this… fun!” She quickly turned back to Twilight and Applejack. “In what other ways can we experience it?”

*~*~*~

“T’is a lie,” Luna shouted as Pinkie and the foals ran off. “Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!” Lightning stuck behind her as she slammed her hoof down in anger. Ponies nearby took a step back, suddenly fearful of the friendly princess. Luna watched them, concerned. “Fair villagers, please do not back away… Let us join together in fun!”

She looked around desperately as everypony backed away still. She saw a spider on the ground and picked it up quickly. With a good natured smile, she threw the spider towards the crowd. Everypony looked at her, the awkwardness as thick as a cloud. Twilight drove her hoof into her forehead with a groan.

“Not enough fun for you?” Luna asked a bit bitterly. “What say you to this?” With a spark of her horn, the spider came to life. As it began to move, the ponies surrounding it screamed in terror. The entire bowl of spiders began to move, all making their way to the webs nearby. The mare in the bee costume fainted in fright as the spiders claimed her, making the way over her limp body.

Together, all the spiders centered in the middle of the web. “Huzzah!” Luna smiled brightly. “How many points do I receive?”

Nopony responded but in screams. It was havoc in Ponyville. Luna looked around, trying to get them to stop desperately. “Do not run away!” Nopony listened. “As your princess, we command you!” Nopony cared. She looked this way and that - nopony saw. Nopony noticed.

She took a deep breath. “BE. STILL.

She glared at each of the fallen ponies in turn. “P-Princess,” Twilight said, half terrified herself, “remember: watch the screaming!”

Luna turned, her eyes white with power and anger. Twilight gasped; wasn’t that Ardor’s power? “No, Twilight Sparkle. We must use the traditional royal Canterlot voice for what we are about to say.” Luna grinned, and Twilight felt a shiver of fear run down her spine.

Luna turned to all those cowering before her. She rose up on her wings so all could see her. “Since you choose to fear your Princess rather than love her, and dishonor her with this insulting celebration, we decree that Nightmare Night shall be cancelled. Forever!

Twilight watched in fright, her eyes wide. A-ardor, what’s wrong with Luna?

Save her, Twilight. I can’t talk anymore. She knows I’m here.

Twilight felt something click in her; it was like something inside her stopped working. She realized what this meant. She was alone.

Luna disappeared into the clouds. The silence that followed her declaration was stunningly obvious. That is, until the children began to weep. Applejack sighed. “Shoot… We had everything going our way. Luna was happy. Everypony in town was happy. Now look at them…”

Twilight looked out over all the crying children. Their adults tried to comfort them, but even they looked distraught. Twilight looked down to see the Nightmare Night emblem, one with the face of Nightmare Moon. Her eyes narrowed in determination; just because Ardor wasn’t strong enough to help her now didn’t mean she couldn’t do this. “It’s not over yet.”

“What’re you gonna do?”

What can I do without Ardor?... Twilight smiled, looking at her friend. “I’m going to do what I do best - lecture her!” Before Applejack could tell her just how bad an idea that was, Twilight had run off.

She found the princess quickly. Ponyville was a fairly small town, after all. “Princess?”

“Leave me be, Twilight Sparkle.” She sounded as though she had been crying.

Twilight frowned softly, getting closer. “Princess… I’m sorry it hasn’t worked out how we wanted.” We? “But you have to believe me when I tell you that Nightmare Night is one of the most popular celebrations we have!”

“Yes,” the princess said, rolling her eyes. “I can tell by all the adoring shrieks of the children as they run away!” With a sad little glare, the princess of the night strode away, leaving a confused and sad Twilight. “Princess…” She stood, thinking. What can I do to fix this?... She thought, and came quickly to the answer. She ran back into town, past the crying children and the adults. She had a trap to set.

Nearby, the spiders still clung to the webs on the throwing game. One single spider slowly made his way up the web, unnoticed by all those crying and sighing. This spider was a real spider, and he was pink.

Author's Note:

UGH. Sorry about having to do so many cliffhangers! As this story goes on, the chapters seem to contain more and have more content, and it just spills over into more chapters! Hopefully I'll be able to finish the next chapter before school starts up again in 2 days...