• Published 5th Nov 2013
  • 1,221 Views, 28 Comments

Purity - maxxxxxx



When ancient powers awaken from the ever free forest, jeopardizing not only Ponyville but all of Equestria, The elements of harmony must unite with unholy powers to protect they're home and friends.

  • ...
8
 28
 1,221

Stampede

After what Twilight felt was far enough away from the forest, the two descended. It had been a hard flight for her, listening to Dash's groans of pain despite the pegasus's best efforts to conceal them, made Twilight want to stop and heal them but she could not keep us so many spells at once. If the shield protecting them from the wind had weakened there was no way Rainbow dash was in any shape to save herself, let alone somepony else. She spotted a grassy clearing and went in for the landing. Upon touching the ground the cloud that had been supporting her injured friend disintegrated, it had barely held up through the flight due to the extremely dry hot air. As the cloud gave way underneath Dash, Twilight used her magic to cushion her impact with the ground to avoid more pain and damage. She trotted over to her friend and examined her wings. It was bad! Blood had flowed down her flank from the wounds and clotted to her cyan fur. Just the amount of blood alone was enough to worry her, but the wost had to be the bones jutting out of her wings, how she had manged to flap her wings in this condition almost defied logic. Looking at the damage Twilight became nauseous and tears again began to flow as she tried and failed to stifle her sobs. This is all my fault!

“Don't worry Twi.” She gave an encouraging laugh trying to convince her friend that it was nothing, but she knew the egghead was smart enough to see for herself that it wasn’t. “This is nothing, you should see some of the crashes that the Wonderbolts have walked off.”

“Dash, I'm so sorry. I shouldn’t have flown out there by my self.” Her sobs we completely unbridled now as she resisted the urge to cry on her friends shoulder. “I-I never tried it on a pony, but I learned a healing spell last week.”

“Well what are you waiting for an invitation!?” Dash immediately regretted getting worked up as the pain surged though her body like a lightning bolt, she gritted her teeth against the pain still trying to retain her cool, tough demeanor.

“It's not that simple Dash. The spell works with the body to heal wounds extremely fast, but if it speeds up healing by a factor of ten, then the spell will increase the pain by the same factor, and even worse if
the spell goes wrong it could damage you wings even more. You may never be able to fly again Dash.”

This was a very old spell, healing magic was rare because it requires studying a pony's body inside and out, very very few ponies would volunteer to be studied like that so spells were few and far between. This was the most effective spell she could find, she didn't know its side effects until she tried it on an injured bird. It's wing was broken much like Rainbow Dash's, She found it while walking through the royal gardens just the day after she learned the spell. It was just laying on the ground, it was all dirty like it had been struggling to fly despite its injuries, it was too exhausted to react to the approaching pony. Twilight craned her neck down to the poor creature and examined it. Upon analyzing its injuries she began to perform the spell. The bird was surrounded in a translucent, glowing purple aura. She concentrated intensely on healing thoughts pouring magic into the bird when suddenly it let out a blood chilling screech and struggled to get away, kicking violently at the ground, Twilight immediately stopped the spell what little the wing had healed from the spell had reopened and it even worse than before. She took the bird to the best vet in Canterlot. After the vet took some magical x rays he concluded that the bird would never fly again.

Rainbow dash contemplated this, weighing the pain she would feel against the time she would have to spend in the hospital, all of this was very hard to do in the haze of pain she was already enduring. In the end she trusted Twilight's magic implicitly.

“Go ahead Twi, I can handle a little pain!” She said boastfully.

Twilight nodded, the last thing she wanted to do was hurt her friend but on the other hoof she kept thinking back to that bird. That bird, that failure, she knew she couldn’t afford to mess up this time.

“Rainbow Dash, promise me. Promise you wont scream, no matter how painful you can't scream.” If her spell gets interrupted she may never see Rainbow Dash fly again, Her best friend will never get to fulfill her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt.

Dash gulped. 'How bad will this hurt?!' Dash's pulse and blood pressure shot up from the fear. The bleeding which had finally stopped started again due to her blood pressure. She steeled herself. 'No, I'm Rainbow Dash! The toughest Flier in Equestria! And she's Twilight Sparkle! The princess of magic! Everything will be fine!' She took a deep breath, then exhaled.

“Okay, I'm ready Twilight!” Dash's face was serious and determined. The face burdened by pain had been replaced with confidence.

“Alright, here' goes!” Her horn lit up, just like with the bird she focused all on healing, comforting thoughts. She thought of her time in Ponyville, of Pinkie Pies parties. She thought of the time last time Dash had hurt herself, and how she refused to read saying it was for “eggheads”, but then ended up breaking into the hospital just to finish “Daring Do.” After that she would always come to the library to read the latest book in the series. She closed her eyes tight and thought these thoughts, lest she see the sheer agony one of her best friends was in because of her. She wouldn’t dare open her eyes, she would withdraw so deep in her head that even if Dash were to scream she would not hear it.
***************************************************************************************
Dash watched as Twilight's horn began to glow, bracing herself for the pain that was to come. She felt energy begin to seep into her body and a slight burning sensation worked its way through her body. She closed her eyes tightly, thinking of anything bat pain, Her mind thought of the Wonderbolts and the awesome shows they had performed in Ponyville last month. She thought of Her friends, of what Pinkie pie was going to make her do in exchange for helping with Fluttershy. The pain grew worse, steadily intensifying. She gritted her teeth so hard she thought the would crack. She continued trying to distract herself, thinking of how if she ends up in the hospital again it would give her a chance to reread the “Daring Do,” series. She though of the warm relaxing days she spent reading them in the library with Twilight. She held her breath waiting for the unbearable pain.... Wait, it's not hurting so bad?
Rainbow Dash opened her eyes and looked to her wings. they were healing. She looked over to Twilight, who's eyes were shut so tight you would think they would fall out if she didn’t. The spell was working. Bone, muscle, tendon and flesh regrew and the pain quickly ebbed. After a minute even her feathers had come back. Dash, still surrounded in a magical aura, Gingerly gave her wings a stretch. 'Good as new!' Dash excitedly thought to herself giving her wings a flap.

“Twi you’re a genius! It Worked! Twi?” Dash looked at her friend who couldn’t seem to hear the good news, magic still pouring from her horn. She flew over to her. She had never been so happy to hear her own wing beat.

“Twi!” Dash prodded her with her hoof causing her to flinch in surprise.

Twilight opened her eyes, to her astonishment Rainbow Dash was hovering beside her.

“Y-you're okay!” Twilight tackled the pegasus out of mid air into a crushing hug

“Oh my Celestia, I'm so relieved it worked!” Twilight almost began crying again.

“I told you I would be fine!” She wiggled out of Twilight's embrace and flew confidently up, putting her fore-hoof to her chest confidently. “I'm Rainbow Dash! Of course I'm alright, It didn’t even hurt!”

Twilight watched smiling as Dash gracefully glided back towards her. The spell worked, Dash was alright. She felt as though an entire mountain of weight had been removed from her shoulders. Dash landed on the soft grass beside Twilight, flexing her wings a couple of times before retracting them.

“Wow Twilight, I have seen you do some amazing magic but this definitely takes the cake! I would have been out of commission for month if you hadn’t used your magic! Seriously Twi, you're awesome!”

Twilight blushed at the adulation. “Well I'm just glad it worked and didn’t hurt.” The two stood there for a moment taking in the moment of relief, smiling. However the peace was short lived as the ground began to shake. The two looked at each other, the looks of of relief were quickly being replaced with concern. They weren’t far from Ponyville, if they could feel the shaking this far from the forest then whatever was going on was getting worse fast! The shaking subsided, Dash looked towards the Everfree forest, then back to Ponyville.

“We need to get going!” Twilight nodded in agreement as the prepared to take off, then Twilight heard a rumbling in the distance, it wasn’t coming from the Everfree forest. Her ear moved trying to pinpoint the sound.

“Um, Twi. Whats that?” Dash raised hoof pointing the opposite direction of Ponyville, the direction of Sweet Apple Acres. Twilight turned and saw a large dust cloud and the ground again began to shake.

“It's a stampede, and it's heading right for Ponyville!”