• Published 5th Nov 2013
  • 1,221 Views, 28 Comments

Purity - maxxxxxx



When ancient powers awaken from the ever free forest, jeopardizing not only Ponyville but all of Equestria, The elements of harmony must unite with unholy powers to protect they're home and friends.

  • ...
8
 28
 1,221

investigation (2)

Good morning Twilight.” The purple dragon said warmly as he descended the stairs into the library.

“Hey Spike, finally awake I see.” Twilight giggled as her number one assistant joined her at her desk. Of course Twilight understood his sleeping in, it was after all their vacation and they had left Canterlot pretty late.

Spike stretched out, giving a very deep and relaxed yawn that almost made Twilight want to go back to sleep.

“So what are you working on?” The baby dragon inquired as he peered over the alicorns shoulder.

“I’m Just reading over this checklist I made for the week. I’m going to maximize my time with the girls as much as I can. After all...” Twilight trailed off thinking again about how infrequent her visits to her beloved Ponyville had become. Her face betraying her sadness to the point where her faithful assistant easily picked up on it despite her not wanting to worry him.

“Come on, cheer up Twi”- Spike said as he rubbed just above her wing, giving her comfort.- “It'll get better, for now just enjoy your time with your friends.”

Twilight smiled. Sometimes she forgot just how wise the little dragon could be. “Thanks spike.” She said as she pulled him into a hug. The hug was short lived as the heat made the hug uncomfortable her.

Twilight began walking towards the library window.

“Why is it so hot today?!”- Twilight said annoyed.- “I didn’t hear anything about a heat wave in the forecast.”

Her horn began to glow as she reached the window and the window, in response, also began resonating with the same purple glow as her horn. Suddenly just as it opened a large rainbow blur flew only inches away from Twilight's face. She gasped, only inhaling hot dry air that flowed quickly in from outside following the blur.
******************************************************************************************************

The tree house library was now in site. Quickly scanning the fast approaching side she found no open windows. How the hay can she have all the windows closed in this heat?! The pegasus thought to herself as she simultaneously thought about stopping and using the door when suddenly she saw a window begin to glow.

“Perfect timing egghead!” Dash said to herself affectionately as she grinned. There was no time to stop now, she was less than a meter away from the widow when it started to open. Narrowing her eyes she brought her front legs forward and closed her wings, barely making through the still opening window. Rainbow Dash burst into the library seeing only for a brief moment a lavender blur, presumably Twilight, and hearing a faint gasp. She Was about to hit the bookshelf as she had done several times before, leaving her friend to pick up the mess, but she had been practicing. In a motion that happened in less than a second Dash let her wings drag behind her straightening them out, then with one powerful flap she came to a complete stop. Though the sheer force of the gust created be her wings did dislodge quite a few books anyway. She sighed looking at the mess she made then, shrugging it off she reasoned that it would have been a bigger mess, not to mention more painful for her if she had simply crashed. Besides did you see what I just did!? Dash smiled, feeling particularly awesome before realising that she had more important things to worry about, and that the pony behind her was probably not as thrilled about the mess she made.

“Rainbow Dash!”-Twilight scolded as her horn once again light up, levitating all the disheveled books back into their proper place.

“Twilight!”-Dash ignored her friends obvious displeasure, doing a complete one-eighty, zooming to Twilight. She jumped slightly, more from the rainbow pegasus’s frantic tone than from her sudden movement.- “Twilight something strange is happening in the Everfree Forest, I've never seen anything like it!”

Twilight was taken aback. Rainbow dash, the bravest and most headstrong pony she knew actually sounded... scared. Twilight was hoping it was an over reaction but the tone of Dash's voice made worry.

“Calm down Dash.”-Twilight said calmly, looking her friend in the eyes. An assertive trick she learned from being royalty, she exuded a sense of calm and authority. It seemed to work as Rainbow dash took a deep breath, then released.- “Okay, now tell me whats going on.”

Rainbow Dash stood for a moment, gathering her thoughts and wondering where to begin. She concluded brilliantly that the best place to start was at the beginning. She explained how she got up early to check out the Everfree forest, because there was a strange heat wave that could potentially cause a run away tornado, but when she got to Fluttershy's all the animals were freaking out and her well and river were drying up. As she went on, Twilight's expression became more and more grim, by the time she had finished describing the two giant circles of dead trees and Zecora's disappearance, Twilight needed to enact the trick princess Candice had taught her to stay calm. This worried Dash greatly.

“Come on Twi, tell me you know what this is and how to stop it!?” Dash implored, but the look twilight had on her said that what ever was going on, it couldn’t have been good.

“Rainbow, almost everything you just described. Well, it sounds like you described a super volcano!”. Twilight turned away from Rainbow Dash, and towards the bookshelves. After examining the shelf she levitated one book out.

“A super volcano!”-Dash was beginning to panic again.- “That sounds really bad!”

Twilight brought the book in front of Dash. The title read 'Geology and Seismology of Equestria- A Reference guide'. She magically opened the book to page sixty-one, chapter 4. It went into great detail about the so called “Super volcanoes”, but Dash knew Twilight would explain anyway so she just waited for her instead of reading.

“A super volcano is a massive pool of lava and pressurized explosive gasses deep underground, many times bigger than an ordinary volcano and many times more destructive!” Twilight spoke as though she were giving a seismology lecture despite the looming threat.

“So wait, your saying there is a big volcano in the forest and I just missed it?” Dash said, feeling slightly offended.

“No Dash, first off, a super volcano is underground. You would need special equipment and magic in order to locate one. Secondly, I have read every geological and seismological survey done in Equestria for the last fifty years! I ever participated in one neat the Everfree forest. If one was there, we would had noticed.”

“So your saying we have no idea whats going on?” Dash knew Twilight was the most thorough pony she had ever known, except maybe for Rarity, but you wouldn’t catch her doing a geological survey unless there were gems and a spa involved. Anyway, if Twilight Sparkle said there wasn’t a volcano then there wasn’t.

Twilight solemnly shook her head.- “No, It means what ever is going on, if it has even close to the power of a super volcano, not only Ponyville, but all of Equestria will be in danger!”- She looked gravely at Rainbow Dash.

This was what she was afraid of, but now that she at least had Twilight on her side it was time to set her fears aside and take action.

“So what should we do?” Dash spoke up sounding serious but confident, hoping that it would help easy her friend as well.

“I need to see first hand whats going on. Can you take me to where you saw everything?” Dash's strength was indeed contagious, her can do attitude helped her focus. Now she was ready to face this problem.

Spike, who was standing by listening to the whole thing, was now slightly mortified.- “W-what should I do?”-The dragon spoke up.- “Should I send a letter to the princess or..” He was promptly cut off by Twilight.

“No Spike.”- She stopped, after a second of thought she continued. “You need warn everyone to keep as far away from the forest as possible, but don’t go into too much detail. We don’t need a panic.”

Spike saluted and walked out the door.

“Okay, lets go!” She said letting Rainbow take the lead.

“Got it!” She smiled as she took off out the open window, getting past the next two houses before turning back to see Twilight just exiting the window. Dash face-hooved.

“This is going to be a long flight.” She grumbled as she waited for Twilight.