• Published 5th Nov 2013
  • 1,221 Views, 28 Comments

Purity - maxxxxxx



When ancient powers awaken from the ever free forest, jeopardizing not only Ponyville but all of Equestria, The elements of harmony must unite with unholy powers to protect they're home and friends.

  • ...
8
 28
 1,221

Of man and magic (1)

“Are you the one responsible for this?” Her voice trembled, she didn't know why but this beings presence made her uneasy. Instead of responding he turned his head without uttering a word, he looked to the far horizon. He wore what appeared to be pure white a lab coat with matching white pants. The wind once again came to a dead stillness. He stared silent for almost a minute before he hopped down from the mound of earth and began walking towards where he had been staring.

“Stop!” Her horn light up ad she teleported in front of him, despite her wariness she stood her ground. He analyzed her with cold silver eyes, then smiled.

“I'm not the one you want. Now get out of my way, I have something important to take care of.”

“Not until you tell me..” She stopped mid sentence as his hand and eyes began to glow with a translucent white aura. He can use magic?! The moment she finished that thought the field of magic enveloped her, she became weightless then with a small motion of his hand she was sent flying. Just moments before she would have hit the ground she teleported, the momentum from being thrown stayed with her as she skidded across the barren, dry dirt, coming to a stop right in front of him. My turn! Her horn glowed and the ground shook. Roots and Vines shot up out of the ground all around them and shot at him, while vines from directly under his feet bound him in place. Without changing expression he took a deep breath and held it for a moment. His eyes and hands ignited with white light, then he exhaled, all the vines burst into flames and disintegrated into ash. He grinned manically, and flames erupted all around him and exploded towards Twilight in five jets of fire. She closed her eyes and engulfed the fire in her magic and inches before the flames hit her they collapsed into puddles of water. She breathed a sigh of relief.

“I'm impressed, you transmuted the fire in real time. You're pretty good with magic.” She was about to reply but Zander didn't give her a chance. He suddenly appeared behind her, a flame alight in his hand. She spun around as he swung the ball of fire at her, she teleported away a moment before it hit appearing behind him she ripped rocks out of the ground and hurled them at him. Following her lead he teleported behind her avoiding the rocks, the puddles of water beside her grew sharp tendrils of ice and shot out at her but they shattered as they made impact with her force field. Twilight surrounded him in her magic and levitated him off the ground then threw him as hard as she could at the ground but he teleported just before he made impact appearing over head. Balls of flame proceeded his as they rained down towards her. With immense precision she turned each ball of fire into water that splashed around her like giant rain drops. Zander teleported in front of her, a cocky smile on his face as the water turned to steam Twilight's eyes suddenly widened with panic as her horn lit up just one second before a spark of lightening ran through the water causing fire bomb of hydrogen and oxygen. The force of the explosion sent Twilight tumbling across the ground, her shield had taken most of the force for her but fell apart as she made impact with the ground, her body skidding across the dirt. Zander held his hand out and white translucent hand shot out of the ground, pinning her to it. One hand grasped her horn. She struggled against the hands but the duel had left her weakened. I've got to get out of here and get back to my friends. Her horn began to glow but only sparked and faded as the hand around her horn drained her magic.

“Let me go!” She continued to struggle to no avail as he stood over her.

“You're good, but only using passive magic is no way to win a fight with a human. You need to learn some combat magic. If you did you might be able to help me, I can tell you have a lot of potential. Listen, like I told you before I'm not the one who caused that explosion, but I am the only one who can help you stop the one who did. Can we calm down and talk about this?” The hands holding her down faded. She slowly stood up, eying Zander cautiously. She opened her mouth, but was cut off before she could speak.

“Twilight!” Both her herself and Zander turned to the source of the voice, It was her friends. Pinkie Pie was in front followed by Rarity and Fluttershy, Applejack and Rainbow Dash were in the rear leaning against each other for support.

“Girls!” Twilight ran to her friends, who one by one fell into a group hug around her. It was Rainbow Dash who first noticed the state she was in.

“What happened to you Twi? Why are you all beat up?” She had scrapes, her fur and been burned and feathers ripped out. It didn't take long for them to notice Zander walking up to them.

“Girls get back!” She jumped in front of her friends, protectively brandishing her wings out, and her horn light up. Rainbow Dash joined her, standing by her her side she bared her teeth and growled.

“Is this what beat you up like this?” Applejack said taking up Twilight's other side, the others joined behind them. Zander rolled his eyes and shrugged. He lifted his hand. Twilight's muscles tensed as she prepared to fight him once again, but instead of his hand lighting up with magic he simply pointed to the horizon he had been staring at.

“Look over there, You'll see what the real threat is.”

“Yeah right! Like were going to fall for that!” Rainbow Dash said as she scrapped her hoof against the ground, preparing to charge, but Twilight had seen him taking an interest in that area earlier. She slowly followed the direction he was pointing. Sure enough, there was something there.

“Girls...” Twilight pointed with her hoof in the same direction as Zander. The other five followed her gaze. There in the distance, pitch black storm clouds were beginning to form. They were far away but Twilight could sense massive amounts of magic in them, and it was not good magic.

“It's a storm. So what?”

“That is not just a storm!” Zander lashed out in frustration, the change in his calm demeanor surprised Twilight, even when they were fighting he seemed more like her was having fun rather than angry.

“Who are you anyway?” Rainbow questioned.

“And what are you? I have never seen anything like you before in Equestria, have you Twilight?” Rarity asked, Twilight shook her head in response.

“If you're not an enemy then you should tell us who and what you are and what you are doing out here. You know what's going on don't you?” Zander looked contemplative for a moment, resting his chin between his fingers and thumb. Then he nodded.

“Very well, I can tell you all about me. In return I want you to help me save your world.” His cryptic words almost made Twilight shiver. What could be worse than what's already happened? She took a breath to calm herself then nodded.

“That depends on what you have to say. Let's start with what you are. You said you're a Human right? What is that? I've never heard of such a thing in any of my books.”

“Okay, I guess that's as good a place as any to start. I'm willing to bet you haven't hear of us because the last of us went extinct about seven thousand years ago. There are only two of us left now. Myself, I am Zander by the way, and the one who is responsible for the explosion. His name's Klain, and he is very dangerous.”

“Wait. Seven thousand years! That would make you older than Princess Celestia!” Twilight exclaimed, there was no way he was older than the princess right?

“I have been asleep down there for over eight thousand years along with Klain.” The six friends stood staring in disbelief at Zander.

“How can you use magic? And, how did you do those spell? You mentioned combat magic but I have never heard of anything like that before?” The sting of loosing a magical duel hurt worse than her injuries and the idea that he knew more about magic than her hurt even worse.

“I guess you aren't used to loosing are you?” He said with a cocky smile.

“What did you just say?!” Dash prepared to lunge at him, but Twilight held her back with her magic. She looked downcast at the ground.

“He's right Dash. I lost.” Her friends looked at her with surprise and sympathy. Zander continued speaking unfazed.

“It's only natural that I won, after all humans are the ones who created magic. The system was set up specifically for humans so it's only natural that I would have an advantage.”

“Wait humans created magic? That's not possible! Magic is.. It's..”

“It's a system of nano, femto, and planck length technology connected to the minds of individuals who can access it. Humans created it twelve thousand years ago, and after that our species was doomed. All of that is ancient history now though. The real threat is Klain, he is more powerful than me, and that storm is the manifestation of millennia of magical energy formed into a spell that will destroy the minds and souls of every sentient being that the rain from it touches instantly. The spell is called the “Purge” and it is the end of the world. But he isn't going to stop there. He intends to unlock the seal of Tartarus, that is where the residual consciousnesses of humanity are kept. Imagine billions of beings as strong as me, and all that power focused on destroying free will of every living thing. That is what is happening right now! Don't you get it?! If you don't help me then the world will actually end! Now if we are done playing twenty questions will you help me?!” By the end of his speech he had very much lost his composure, he was hyperventilating with anger. Twilight and her friends looked to one another, worry sweeping over them.

“W-why should we trust you?” Rainbow Dash asked nervously.

“Would you rather wait until it's too late to find out if you can trust me? Does the world matter that little to you?” Twilight closed her eyes, sorting through her thoughts. Her friends looked at her expectantly. After a moment she opened her eyes, she had made her decision.

“You'll coming with us to see the princess, we will decide then after we hear what she thinks.”

“How are we going to get to the princess? I doubt the trains are run'n and not all of us can fly or teleport.” Applejack spoke up, she knew neither her or Dash could make the journey in their state. Twilight smiled.

“We don't have to. Princess Celestia gave me a spell to only be used in emergencies. It will retrieve the Elements of Harmony from the Tree of Harmony, with the magic of the Elements I can teleport us all to the palace.”

“Is that really safe though? What about the tree?” Fluttershy said meekly

“The forest was destroyed, I doubt what ever will happen will cause any more damage.” Zander spoke up.

“I don't think we have a choice.” Twilight closed her eyes and her horn glowed brightly, Zander was taken aback by the sheer amount of magic that the Alicorn possessed. Suddenly the Elements of Harmony appeared over their respective wielders and attached to them. A bright rainbow light enveloped them. He blinked and when he opened his eyes he stood in the middle of an ornate palace.