• Published 6th Nov 2013
  • 3,004 Views, 281 Comments

Spellbooks, Dating and Why Humans don't like the Arcane - Emerald Oracle



The magical story of our own amateur sorcerer, Kenneth Washington Lee the 4th. Join in his story as he combats the greatest threat he has ever met, the famous technicolor ponies of Equestria

  • ...
26
 281
 3,004

Great, Now There is Two of Them

"I hate you so much..." The blond and blue-eyed French girl was furious with Kenny. She was locked up in a cage, her guide and partner disguised as a Royal Guard of this pony world. She had thought coming here would be a childhood dream come true. Now she knew she was wrong.

"Shut up, prissy pants or you'll blow our cover," Kenny whispered back to Morgan. "Remember, you came of your own volition. I told you that it would be dangerous."

"Excuse me if I thought a world inhabited by little ponies would be more friendly." Morgan would have used magic to escape if Kenny hadn't set up a complicated chain of wards that prevented her from casting spells. "How did you even convince Alfred to let you leave anyhow?"

The white Unicorn guard grinned as he stood watch over the cage in the throne room, waiting for Private Flash Sentry to return with the nation's rulers. "One of the perk's of being Merlin's favorite students I guess..." Kenny said in an overly playful tone. He got exactly the reaction he was expecting.

"YOU ARE NOT ALFRED'S FAVORITE!!!" Morgan exploded, this was a touchy subject for her. "I have been studying under him since I was five! You have been around for less than four years! I am clearly his favorite!" She shook the bars in anger as she ranted on. Kenny held a hoof up to his mouth as he chuckled. Morgan was so easy to tease. Besides, Alfred Merlin Sylvestris did not have favorites. He was above such petty things. Still, Kenny's constant showing up of Morgan had left many seeds in her already overheated brain. Kenny so loved to nurture these seeds for the valuable fruits they bore. Morgan was so gullible.

"Right this way your highness." Flash and the Princesses came in to the throne room, both of the current residents quickly shutting up. "He said he found it in the garden's just like with Kenny!" They approached the stoic guard and the gigantic steel cage that held what was, without a doubt, another human. What amazed Celestia was that despite the similarities, this human was entirely different from Kenny. Kenny had chocolate eyes and dark brown hair as well as an olive complexion. This one was considerably lighter in pallet. Blonde hair, blue eyes, pale skin as well as a . Who knew what other variations of humans existed?

But first, "Why is she locked up?" Celestia asked with a stern gaze. The next two things would throw her for a loop, however. First was how the guard remained unfazed by her smoldering gaze, a gaze that only Fluttershy could beat, and the guard's response.

"She bit me."

"I DID NOT YOU MORONIC BUFFOON!!!!!" Morgan yelled in anger, reaching through the bars as an attempt to reach Kenny. "WHEN I GET OUT I'M GOING TO TEAR YOU A NEW BEHIND, ASSHOLE!!!!!" She received one of Kenny's patented knock out spells for her trouble.

"As you can see," Kenny continued, "She is obviously nothing like our Mr. Lee. Where is he anyway? I would think he would be able to provide some insight as to who she might be."

Kenny observed the hurt look that suddenly overcame Luna's visage. His heart panged a little when he saw that. Celestia was the one to answer. "He left on business a couple hours ago, we do not know when he will return."

Hours!? He had only been gone that long? Kenny had forgotten the date and time he had left Equestria, and was sure that when he returned he would be off by at least a year. He had whole plans to efficiently reintroduce himself to Equestria and win back Luna's love through various acts and gifts. Guess he didn't need them.

"Welp, my jigs up then." Celestia and Luna both gave him questioning looks, while Flash Sentry looked on from by the door. "I should give myself more credit next time." The guard began nonchalantly powering up a spell, and for the first time Luna and Celestia noticed his magic's black color. "Well, Sunbutt and Moonbutt, I present-"

An explosion of black magic burst from the guard, engulfing the room in its aura. The two Royal Sisters shielded their eyes from the blast with their fore-hooves. When the magic cleared and they lowered their legs, a man in short, weathered robes stood before them. His face was slightly obscured by the trimmed beard that covered his jaw and lips.

"Kenneth Washington Lee! Professional Shaman and Magician!"

Luna began to tremble. "Geezus, Luna. I was only gone for a couple hours!" Kenny said in response to her shaking, thinking her on the brink of joyful tears upon his return. "Come on, this boy-toy needs a hug."

Luna slowly walked towards him, head held low. Kenny knelt down to receive a hug he had longed for close to four years. Luna stopped right before him, just of of reach of his outstretched arms.

"Kenny." Luna said without looking up.

"Yes Luna?" Kenny said, arms lowering.

Luna's head rose, her gaze cutting through him like laser. She quickly turned and bucked hitting him square in the jaw, just hard enough to really hurt, but not knock him out. "That's for leaving."

"What the Fuck!" Kenny cried out, grasping his aching jaw. "The hell, Luna!" Before he could go any further Luna was once again upon him.

"And this is for coming back." Passionate kiss-of-the-day number one-hundred and twenty-four was delivered. And hot. Mostly hot.

"Goddess above, won't you two get a room?" Flash said breaking the two's make-out session.

"You have a lot explaining to do mister." Luna poked him with a hoof to emphasize her point. "Like why do you have so much facial hair? You never let a beard grow before."

"When you spend two years with Tibetan monks leaning to commune with the forces of nature, you forget to do things like shave." Kenny fondled the scruff affectionately. "Besides, I like the way it looks."

"Tibetan monks? Two years?!" Luna said, voice climbing higher.

"It's a long story..."

"And who is this other human you keep captive?" Luna asked.

"Oh, that's Morgan Le Feu. My partner-"

"Partner?" Luna growled.

"Only in work Luna," Kenny explained.

"Good," Luna said, letting Kenny up. "Come I want to hear this long story of yours."


And a riveting story it was. After they had all settled in a nice lounge in the castle, the still sleeping Morgan given a whole gigantic pillow seat of her own to curl up on. Once everyone was situated and drinks and popcorn were distributed, Kenny pulled out a laptop he had brought with him. It was a little magic-fueled thing that held all the pictures he had taken during his trip. A slideshow was set up and the pictures were projected on the wall by a quick spell.

"So, after I got home I met this man," Kenny said, a picture of a white bearded man with twinkling eyes and a kind face appeared. "His name is Alfred Merlin Slyvestris, or Starswirl to you guys."

"What!?" Luna and Celestia both yelled in sync.

"I know right? So I lived most of my life thinking that magic didn't even exist, much less that such a famous wizard was real or alive. He tells me that having already shown I can use magic he wants to teach me to be a better magician. I leave home under his tutelage under the guise that I was attending an exclusive college with all expenses paid. One farewell later I begin my training. I spend two years traveling with him and a couple other apprentices and their mentor's." This picture depicted several men and women smiling at the camera. The group was unique in many ways, from clothing to the strange, glowing, green tattoos that adorned the skin of one man. "Morgan over there is Alfred's other apprentice." Morgan grumbled a little at the mention of her name. "Either way I complete my rudimentary lessons for magic and I'm left with a decision, what type of magic do I specialize in?"

Kenny then reaches into his collar and pulls out a cord bearing a piece of onyx carved into the shape of a snarling wolf head. To either side of the stone were two more stones per side, totaling five gems in all on the braided string. The other gems were turquoise, amber, petrified wood, and smoky quartz.

"This is a shamanistic talisman. These four stones," Kenny said, indicating the stones on either side of the wolf emblem. "Are my channels of the four arcane elements, fire, water, air and earth. The center stone is my personal stone and acts as a mental focus." He placed the talisman in its rightful place. "I received this as my final initiation as a shaman during my time with the the Kailash Monastery. They taught me to converse with the Great Spirits and to harness their power." Kenny showed them a series of images, all of them of the charming, orange-cloak wearing, Buddhist monks that had taught him the powers he wields now.

"Once a magician has completed his training he must gain wisdom to become a master. Most find it by becoming nomads, traveling the earth and interacting with its inhabitants. Merlin found it by traveling beyond his world." Kenny turned off the laptop with a wave of his hand. "I intend to do the same." He gave his friends the warmest smile he's worn in years. "So with your permission, I would like to reside here, in Equestria, until such time as I have become a true master of magic."

Celestia returned his smile in full.

"I shall allow it. What say you sister?"

Luna leaped to Kenneth's side, nuzzling him affectionately. A gesture, she was surprised to see, that Kenny reciprocated by a bear hug that cracked her bone's. Her voice was a little strained when she spoke.

"Seconded."

Luna and Kenny shared yet another passionate kiss. Why Kenny was being so much more affectionate, Luna did not know. But neither did she care.

"That's great and all, but what about her?" Flash said, poking the sleeping lady.

"Same reason as me." Kenny's voice rang with the distinct sound of 'I-couldn't-care-less'. "She shouldn't be any trouble."

"Then she can stay as well." Celestia roused Morgan with a spell. The woman slowly opened her eyes and blearily observed her surroundings. Her weary eyes widened when they landed on Flash Sentry.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" Morgan's shriek of joy as she saw Flash cracked a window pane. "He's soooo cute!" Morgan grabbed Flash before he could get away, locking him in a titanic grip. "He's so soft and warm! It's like a dream!"

"Oh yeah, she has a thing for ponies."


"What's your favorite food?" Flash was leading Morgan to her room. She had been asking him countless questions about ponykind in general the entire time. Flash had long since decided that he didn't like the woman.

"Hay fries."

"Do all ponies like hay fries?"

"I guess so..."

"Do you have anything other than ponies here?"

"Plenty, like my girlfriend, the gryphon." Morgan let out an excited gasp.

"Inter-species relationships are socially acceptable here!" Morgan pulled a notebook out of her handbag and started scribbling. "This is an interesting development indeed. Do ponies still follow herd mentality here?"

"Ummm... Yes?" Kenny offered, a little confused by the question.

"So it is not unheard of for ponies to take on multiple partners?"

"No, it's not, why?" Flash was immensely afraid of where she was going with this. That's when he spotted her room.

"Have you ever had more tha-"

"Well this is where you will be staying Miss!" Flash hurriedly cut her off. "If you need anything else feel free to ask that maid!" Gesturing to the surprised maid with a hoof before flying off. When the maid realized who it was and what had just happened she grumbled, "This is why I gave up on stallions..."


"Bwahahaaha ahahhah ha!" Kenny's hearty laugh rang throughout Holly's room. Flash had recounted his tale to Kenny, who was going on a slow ride with Holly around the maze for the second time that night, though it was the first in ages for him. Flash floated lazily along.

"She even asked me why my armor didn't cover my privates!" Flash vented. "What kind of pony asks that? "

"Keep in mind she isn't a pony." Kenny held a hand to Holly's neck, the timber-wolf instantaneously stopping. Kenny slid off her back while Flash gave him a bewildered look. "What?" Kenny asked.

"How did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Stop Holly. Usually it takes a massive pull on her reigns to get her to slow down."

"She wasn't going very fast..."

"Explain Human!" Flash shoved his muzzle into Kenny's face. "I must know!"

"Why?"

"Because! You vanish for a couple hours and come back with new threads, a bag full of high-tech crap, and a beard! You could at the very least explain how a touch stops a timber-wolf."

Kenny sighed before answering, feeling that tonight's events have fried his friends brains. Had he always been like this, and Kenny never noticed? "I learned how to talk to spirits with the monks. Animals are much easier by comparison."

"You can talk to timber-wolves? What else can you do?" Flash said, sitting on his haunches. He was ready for a show.

Kenny rolled his eyes. "Nothing yet. The spirits of Equestria are no more benevolent than the ones back on Earth, if a little less rowdy. How you pegasi manage without getting the Air spirit all up in your junk is anyone's guess."

"What?"

"Shaman's are the bridge between this world, and the world of spirits. We can channel the element's energies as our own and use it manipulate the world around us. Fire, Water, Earth, Air, all are our tools to use. However, our power is given to us by the spirits we commune with. We cannot force a spirit to do anything, much less lend us power. My field requires humility and a deep understanding of spirits themselves. The spirits that inhabit Equestria do not know nor care for me, and so I cannot ask them to lend me power."

"You have to ask to use magic, lame." Flash drew out 'lame' to punctuate his point. Then Flash found himself ten feet in the air, with no time to recover. He hit the ground hard and he groaned in mild pain.

"I can't use shamanistic magic. Arcane spells are easily within my reach." Kenny laughed at the dirty look Flash gave him. "It's getting late, you should head to bed."

"Ahhhhh, I don't wanna!" Flash mock whined.

"I'll be fine you dolt. Take Holly to her room while your at it, I want to talk with Luna before heading to bed myself."

Flash got the hint and grabbed Holly's reigns. "Good luck bro."

"Thanks, night bud."

Flash guided Holly out of the maze when Kenny called back out to Flash, "Hold on!"

"What?" Flash called back. Kenny reached into a pouch on his side and pulled out a paper wrapped irregular item, tossing it to the pegasus. "What is it?" Flash called back. Kenny just gestured him to open it and vanished in a swirl of black magic. Flash carefully removed the wrappings to find an elaborate carving of a gryphon in his hooves. It seemed to hum with an unearthly force, calling out to him. As flash examined the carving he noticed the wrappings had some words written into them.

This totem can never be shown to anyone but you and Edith. It's powers could be misconstrued as dangerous and malevolent. It's power will last for one whole day before wearing off, and requires a week to recharge. It isn't much, but it should help you meet Edith on a more regular basis. I know you will use it well.

Beneath this small letter was another inscription.

Spirits of the Totem, grant me your power.


Luna was awaiting assignments from her personal adviser. Tonight was slow, no nightmares to abolish, no monsters from the Everfree to vanquish, not even a rebellious riot of teenage colts who tapped into their father's alcohol cabinets. That is why she was rooting through her boyfriends bag. The first thing she noticed was that it was much larger on the inside then on the outside. Physic breaking spell aside, there was plenty to find. Bottles of herbs, both dried and fresh. Flasks of liquids with near unreadable labels. Handbooks and journals filled with all kinds of rituals and spells. Several pouches of uncut gemstones of every variety. A DS gaming system (Luna put that aside to inspect later). Several small totems made of wood and garnished with paints and more rough gemstones. The list went on and on as Luna delved deeper into the bag. She eventually came across a small box labeled 'For: Luna'. It was no bigger than her hoof and weighed almost nothing, stopping the notion that it was any form of jewelry. She was going to open it when she heard the handle of her door being jiggled. She quickly threw the box into a drawer and teleported the bag back to Kenny's room where she found it.

Kenny's head popped out from behind the door and gave the mare a warm smile. His facial hair had been trimmed, seeing as it no longer covered the lower half of his face. His cheeks had been cleared of the brown fuzz so his beard skirted his jawline until it came to his chin, where it climbed back up and around his mouth. He looked less like a lumberjack and more like a playboy. Luna liked it immensely.

"Hey, are you busy?" Kenny asked, moving no further inside.

"Of course not, come in." She made to move down from the bed, but was stopped when Kenny said, "Oh, no need to do that. You just stay right where you are."

"Why not?" Luna asked. That's when Kenny walked in, revealing that he was wearing only a pair of shorts. His entire upper body was exposed, a tribal tattoo of a wolf on his shoulder making its debut in Equestria. Luna's eyes traced over his form, taking note that he was far more muscular than before. There was a bulk to him that hadn't been there before.

"You like?" Kenny teasingly asked doing a slow twirl for show, letting Luna see him from all angles. Luna noticed something odd though. He had a small scar, as if from a burn, that looked like a motif of a skull.

"What's that?" Luna asked, trotting over. She ran a hoof over the spot.

"Oh, that? It was a part of my initiation." Kenny waved it off like it was no big deal. "It is permanent mark of my achievements as well as my final test."

"Did it hurt?" Luna asked. She didn't like the sound of this.

"Oh-hohoho yes!" Kenny chuckled. "It was intense! Those monks are the culmination of work hard, play hard." Luna frowned. Before she could give her own two bits, she was swept off her feet by Kenny's arm. She wasn't sure she likes being man-handled like this.

"So,have you ever wondered what I could do to you with my fingers" Luna's face turned redder than a beet.

"That's what I thought."