• Published 6th Nov 2013
  • 3,004 Views, 281 Comments

Spellbooks, Dating and Why Humans don't like the Arcane - Emerald Oracle



The magical story of our own amateur sorcerer, Kenneth Washington Lee the 4th. Join in his story as he combats the greatest threat he has ever met, the famous technicolor ponies of Equestria

  • ...
26
 281
 3,004

Swords, Magic, and Explosions (Directed by Michael Bay)

"Well, looks like you're all healed up." Dr. Graft said as he inspected Kenny's leg. "The bone is as healthy as ever. You are free to go as you please, just take it easy for another week and avoid any strenuous activity with your leg. I'll check you out back at the infirmary." Dr. Graft left Kenny's room while Kenny tested out his leg, happy to see he could actually walk. He decided to go for a short walk to wake his leg up. He headed out for the gardens and breathed in the fresh air once he was outside.

The last week was interesting one. Luna was quick to 'win' his affection, showering him with gifts, love letters and smooches. While flattering, Kenny had asked her to tone it down for his own sake. One man can only deal with so much. Sadly for Luna, Kenny's leg had prevented them from going on a real date to, as Kenny had put it, really get to know each other on a deeper level. Luna had insisted that a date wasn't necessary and that she would be forthcoming in all questions he would've asked. Kenny said that she was missing the point.

"My dad always said that a relationship only works when you have spent time together with no other goal then to get to know your significant other. Impressions, appearances, and preparation often do little to change the final result, so it is best to forgo these for nothing more than a good time." Frankly, Kenny had never put this to practice, having received this after his second breakup.

"Kenny!" Luna's voice rang out, "What are you doing? You didn't tell me you were being released today!"

Kenny face-palmed at his own stupidity, how had he forgotten to tell her? She had been by his side almost every hour of every day during his recovery to ensure that he was comfortable, leaving only to deal with the occasional political emergency. She of all people should have been told that he was finally able to leave his room without somebody's (usually her's) help.

"Sorry, Luna. I literally just got out. I'm out taking a walk to get the blood flowing." Kenny hoped this would get him off the hook. He still winced when he recalled the vicious reprimand a hoof-servant had received when the innocent pony had helped Kenny into his tub. He didn't wan't to bring her wrath on himself. Luna gave him a quick nod, satisfied with his answer. He sighed in relief.

"Apology accepted. Do you mind if I join you?" Luna asked.

"Nope."

They walked through the gardens, admiring the statues and fauna. Luna slowly inched closer and closer to Kenny, careful to stay under his radar. It helped that he was so tall. She had forgotten about his height, what with him being bed-ridden for so long.

"Luna, I know you already told me why you like-"

"Love."

"Love," Kenny said with a roll of his eye's. "Me, but I still don't get it. You could have anyone, why me? An alien visitor who isn't even quadruped?"

"Kenny, I have long since learned what a good colt-friend is, and hot jerk is not it. I care most about the type of person you are, as cliche as that sounds. Plus, you aren't as unattractive as you say. Remember, I have seen you completely naked and let me say that you look quite fertile."

"Luna, I will never be able to un-hear that."

"Kenneth W. Lee?" Luna and Kenny both turn to confront the newcomer, who turned out to be a gryphon with a very official looking getup and a sealed letter in claw.

"Yes?"

"I have a letter for you from the Princess of Greifland. She requests your presence at the Seventy-Fifth Annual Royal Ball later this month." The gryphon said as Kenny extracted the letter's contents. "You will find that with the letter is a formal invitation to the event, have a nice day." He gave a quick bow and left.

"What does the letter say?" Luna asked.

"Don't know, I haven't read it yet. I'm honestly not in the mood to read it either. Eh, I'll do it later." Kenny said as he shoved the envelop into his back pocket. "You want to do anything?"

"Actually yes! I have a great idea! I've heard of this new place where all the young fillies and colts go nowadays. It'll be our first date!"


"An Arcade?" Kenny asked in mild disbelief. Luna had led him through Canterlot, long since leaving the districts full of mansions and the well off to the homes and businesses of the upper-middle class. They stood in front of the Shining Knight Arcade.

"Yes! I have heard much about it! They promise fun and joy for all ages!" Luna said in glee. "I was so happy to find that technology has come so far in my absence."

"Wow, I guess the tumblrs were right..." Kenny muttered.

"What was that?" Luna asked.

"Huh? Oh! Umm... I was saying that we have stuff like this back home!" Kenny recovered, "It will be interesting to see what kinds of games your culture has come up with."

"Well we won't know standing out here!" Luna said with much cheer, walking into the establishment. Kenny followed, but he couldn't help but notice the stares and whispers of ponies as they saw him and Luna enter an arcade together. He began to worry, What will everyone think? He asked himself, Will Luna get in trouble for this? The two Nightguards that took post on either side of the doors didn't help his thoughts.

"Come on, Kenny!" Luna's voice shook him out of his thoughts. "You're gonna miss all the fun if you just stand there!"

"I'm coming Luna." Kenny responded, deciding to let Luna worry about her own publicity.

"I like the look of this one. It's even got another machine for a second player!" Luna said as she circled one of the consoles. "You take the other one, I want to see what you've got!"

Kenny sat on the opposite side of Luna as the start screen popped up, asking for a bit. Kenny fished a bit out of his pocket and deposited it inside the machine. A prompt came up, asking if he would like to join Luna in multiplayer, Kenny moved the joystick down to select the 'Yes' option. The entire screen went black and an invigorating 8-bit tune came up. It was followed by flash of bright swirling colors and the words The Crystal Blade. After that quite impressive display a character select screen came up. There were many options, ranging from a staff-bearing earth pony wearing orange robes and lacking a mane to a gryphon in the weirdest bondage get up he has ever seen. He then noticed Luna's 1st player cursor moving over the many options. He saw it settle on a surprising addition to the game, Nightmare Moon in her usual armor and wielding a large and deadly looking crescent-moon sickle that shone with a polished gleam. A black figure caught his eye and Kenny maneuvered his cursor over to another strange addition to the roster, the one and only King Sombra. The black, fiery maned unicorn was adorned in full plate armor, leaving only his glowing green and red eyes visible, narrowed to deadly slits. He grasped in hoof a black crystal zweihander that's center gave off a strange red glow. He pressed the start button, selecting his character and beginning the game.

The screen went through a brief loading before he was given the sight of the Everfree forest, or more specifically a clearing in the Everfree forest. Nightmare Moon appeared from the blue, starry mist of her own mane. Sombra materialized from the shadow of a black crystal spire. They stood at the ready on opposite ends of the arena, Sombra on the left and Nightmare on the right, weapons poised for the other's heart.

"Fight!" Flashed across the screen, accompanied by a gruff masculine voice. Kenny jerked his joystick right and watched Sombra cross the screen towards Nightmare. Nightmare mimicked him, rushing straight at Sombra. When Sombra had gotten close, Kenny pressed one of the three buttons next to the joystick. The result was a Sombra swinging his heavy weapon in a wide arc across his front. The blade slammed into Nightmare and sent her sprawling across the clearing. A decent chunk came away from the health bar that adorned the right side of the screen.

Kenny smirked, "Awesome."

Luna was amazed, the game was mesmerizing. Her avatar followed her every command as she had input them. She guided Nightmare back to Sombra, approaching cautiously. Sombra and Nightmare circled eachother, waiting for the other to make a move. Luna, curious to see what would happen, pressed the second button next to her joystick with he hoof. Nightmare quickly jabbed at Sombra, the attack falling just short of hitting him. Sombra responded with by backing up and once again making a swipe at her with his large blade. This time Luna noticed the slow attack and side-stepped it. She followed this with a press of the first button, and Nightmare swung her curved blade at Sombra. The blade struck home and knocked Sombra to the ground.

"Yes!" Luna cried out. She watched a piece of Sombra's health break away. Now she and Kenny were about even.

Kenny shoved his joystick up, and Sombra instantly recovered from the hit. He moved Sombra back into Nightmare's space and saw her do another horizantal swing with her sickle. He shoved the joystick down and Sombra deftly ducked, avoiding the curved, silver blade. Kenny shoved the joystick up and pressed the second button at the same time. Sombra smashed the hilt of his sword into Nightmare, stunning her. He followed with another heavy strike, sending Nightmare sprawling once again.

Luna panicked and began to furiously jerk the joystick and mash the buttons in an attempt to recover from the hard hit. Nightmare landed on her feet and let loose a bolt of ice-blue magic that exploded against Sombra, throwing him to the ground.

"WHOAH!!!" Luna and Kenny said simultaneously.

The blast had evened the score once again. Their showdown began to attract a crowd of young colts and stallions. They quickly took sides, cheering on their respective competitor.

Luna rushed Kenny's avatar, Nightmare making quick slices across his abdomen. The health came off in small bits, quickly adding up to a powerful combo. Kenny pressed the third button, and Sombra grasped Nightmare. Everyone cried out as Sombra threw Nightmare into the air and jabbed his blade into the ground, summoning a spire of black crystal to impale the mare. The damage wasn't enough to balance them, however, and Luna still held the advantage. In desperation, Kenny entered the first combo that came to mind.

Left, Left, Up, A+B+C

Sombra's eyes suddenly glowed with a sinister light. He raised his blade into the air and spoke one word.

"KILL!!!"

The crystal blade glowed with a blood red light and Sombra forced the blade into the ground again, this time creating a fissure that was followed by a massive wave of dark magic. Everyone in the room stared as Nightmare was eradicated, her health instantly vanishing at the impact.

Nothing was left of her but a mangled and molten sickle on the ground.

"Critical Kill!" Flashed across the screen in aggressive font, accompanied as well by the same gruff voice.

Kenny's side erupted into cheers as Luna's supporters did their best to console her.

"What was that?" Luna asked meekly of no one in particular. A small brown colt with a propeller hat was the one to answer.

"It's called a Critical Edge, it's a super move unique to every character. They're usually the most devastating attacks in the game."

"Hey, Luna." Luna looked up to see Kenny standing next to her still getting pats on the back for his performance. He held out his hand. "Good game."

Luna smiled taking his hand in hoof in a weird hand/hoof shake, "Good game."

The crowd dispersed and Luna looked around for another game to play. Kenny beat her to it.

"You wanna play Super Gryphon Bros. with me?" Kenny asked, pointing to an empty console in the corner.

Luna smiled, "Sure."


"How did you know that?" Luna asked as they both enjoyed pizza and a soda from the arcade's snack stand.

"The game is incredibly similar to one back home. I figured that the box would be in the same place. So, free one-up." Kenny said with a shrug.

"You are truly a game master." Luna said in awe.

"Not really, I can bet that half the colts here know tons more about these games than I do. I just have some experience is all." Kenny sipped away at his soda. It had been a long day of games. Kenny had politely shown Luna the ropes of gaming and she was quick and eager to learn. All in all it had been fun.

"Hey!" Luna said, an epiphany hitting her. "Why don't we have a rematch on The Crystal Blade! I bet I could beat you this time around!"

Kenny gave her his best competitive look, "You're on!"

They both rushed to the machine and took their places.

They only stopped once, and that was so Luna could raise the moon.

Author's Note:

Early Update this week! Enjoy!