• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 5,634 Views, 186 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Krazoa Island - DiabloGuapo



Fleeing Equestria for a crime he didn't commit, Spike finds himself on a magical island filled with dinosaurs. It is up to him to save the island before it is completely destroyed.

  • ...
8
 186
 5,634

Garunda Te

Inside the lair of the golden dragon, Spike stirred in his sleep. He moaned as he raised himself up and wearily opened his eyes. His head felt as though it just took a blow from Applejack’s apple tree bucking hind legs. He placed a claw to his aching head as his spinning vision came back into focus. Once he could see clearly again, he stood up on his feet and looked around. He noticed that he was in a small chamber within his master’s lair. In the back of the grotto, water dripped from the ceiling to a pool of water. He also noticed that the cavern’s floor and walls were marked with deep scratches. Judging by the size and shape of the marks, Spike realized that they were his claw marks. Stunned, Spike looked down at his claws as he realized that it was him that did this.

“I did this?” he quietly asked himself as he starred at his claws. He was shocked. It had looked like some feral animal was unleashed and thrashed about uncontrollably, destroying everything in its path.

“Yes, you did,” the deep voice of his master answered. Suddenly remembering where he was, the smaller purple dragon turned to face the massive gold dragon. The master dragon chuckled as he looked down at his apprentice. “It was quite the display. Ah, I remember when I grew wings. I nearly leveled half a forest.”

Looking at the mess he made, he understood why his master recommended that he be alone during the process of growing wings. Had he been anywhere else, other creatures would have been in danger. He was an uncontrollable animal when it happened. Then he thought of what could have happen if he was back home in Ponyville when he grew wings. He friends would have been at his side comforting him while he was in pain, but then he would become violent and lash out at everypony, not distinguishing friend from foe. He would have woken to find the mares he loved lying dead around him, and it would have been his fault.

“Something troubles you?” the gold dragon asked.

“I could have killed them,” Spike whispered. The master didn’t need an explanation to what he was referring to. Knowing what he did about his protégé, he understood he was speaking about his surrogate family of ponies.

“You do not know that,” the master told him.

“But I…” Spike started to argue.

“Silence, your master is speaking,” the older dragon ordered and Spike lowered his head submissively as he listened to his mentor. “It is pointless to dwell on what could have been. You cannot know how your friends would have reacted. For all you know, they could have been able to subdue you till the deed was done.” Spike had to agree with this. Twilight and the girls have saved Equestria many times and faced many horrifying monsters. They had faced manticores, Timberwolves, hydras, an Ursa Minor, Cragodiles, and even Cerberus; surely they could have handled one teenaged dragon.

“Sorry master. You’re right.”

“Of course I am. There is no time to fret over what could have been when you could be testing your new wings.”

When the older dragon mentioned the wings, Spike looked back over shoulder to find that he had indeed grown wings. They were still small compared to the wings on other dragons. He remembered the wings of Garble and his fellow teenage dragon cohorts were bigger than his, and they were tiny compared to the wingspan of an adult dragon’s.

Wanting to test them out, Spike spread his new wings and gave them an experimental flap. To his surprise, they were stronger than they look. When the wings flapped down, he felt a force push him up. He tried it again and felt the same thing. He started to flap his wings up and down multiple times in succession and was thrilled when he started to rise off the ground. Spike laughed excitedly as he looked down and saw that there were a few feet of air between him and the ground.

“I’m flying! I’m flying!” Spike cheered, hardly believing that he was currently hovering in the air. He wavered a bit and Spike had to regain his balance. Feeling adventurous, Spike decided to see how much he could do. He flapped harder and harder, and he rose higher and higher. He looked down and laughed as he rose over the pile of treasure. He then felt a bump on his head as he reached the roof of the cave. “Yow!” He clasped his head with a claw and gingerly rubbed the spot. He then realized he stopped flapping his wings and fell back down to the ground. “Oof!” he grunted as he came in for a rough landing. The cavern rumbled as Spike’s master chuckled at his inexperienced antics.

“Give it time,” the wise dragon laughed. “You will grow into them soon enough and will become a better flier with practice. You actually did well with your first attempt.”

“Thank you, master.” Spike looked back and admired his new wings. They had purple scales with a green membrane to match the rest of his body. He could feel the burn from the little practice he just did. He remembered how Twilight was so awkward when she became an Alicorn. It took her forever to get used to having wings. For him, it felt natural. Like the Pegasi, dragons were born to fly. I can’t wait to show the guys… wait a moment! “Oh my gosh! How long was I out?!”

“A few hours,” his master answered.

“Only a few hours?” Spike asked surprised.

“Normally, it would take a few days or so to recover, but I sped up the process with my magic.”

“Thank you, master.” Spike was amazed by the power that his master possessed, a power that someday he will also have.

“You are welcome,” the dark gold dragon responded with a nod of the head.

“Excuse me, master,” Spike said as he returned the polite gesture. “But I have a mission to finish.”

“Yes, go now. I will contact you later.” Being dismissed, Spike used his new wings to fly out of the fissure in the ceiling. When he exited the cave, he saw that the sky had become overcast and it was starting to rain. He ran back to the bunker where he had left Tricky and the others. When he arrived, he noticed the Queen EarthWalker was awake and looking much better.

“Hey look, Spike’s back,” Slippy announced in his high pitched voiced. “And he has wings!”

“Welcome back,” Captain Pepper greeted.

“Wow, look at you!” Tricky was in awe that his new friend now had wings.

“You’re okay now, right?” Peppy asked.

“Yeah, I’m okay,” Spike reassured the gray Earth Pony. “I see the Queen is doing better as well.”

“Thanks to the white Grubtubs we found,” Tricky added.

“Thank you, Spike,” the adult ceratopid said in a grateful voice. “Thank you for saving my son and for saving me.”

“Okay, okay. Enough with the thanks, you’re making me blush,” Spike said as he rubbed the back of his head embarrassed. “Now we need some help from you.”

“Can you explain to us the situation?” Captain Pepper asked.

“This is all the work of General Scar,” explained the EarthWalker with a gold and ruby decorated frill. “As I understand it, he is the new ruler of the Diamond Dogs. They want to take over our island because it is abundant with gems.”

“You mean those stalks that grow gems right?” Spike asked for clarification.

“Indeed. With treasure so accessible, they wouldn’t have to dig for jewels anymore. We would be willing to negotiate harvesting rights, but their greed has consumed them. They don’t want just some of the gems, they want them all.”

“Why don’t they just take some stalks back to Equestria and grow some themselves?” Slippy asked.

“The gem stalks can only grow here on Krazoa Island,” the Queen explained. “They feed off the magic of the island to produce the gems.”

“So they decided to invade,” Captain Pepper concluded.

The Queen nodded and said, “Scar has tried to take over our island in the past, but we have always been able to stop his attacks. But this time he has somehow become stronger and defeated our army at the Krazoa Palace.

“Right, a bad guy. But how did the island get in such a mess?” Spike asked.

“Within the Krazoa Palace, he broke the seals of the Force Point Temples.”

“Force Point Temples?” the team collectively asked.

“This island is rich with a magical force,” the Queen continued to explain. “A force so strong that is continuously pushing our island apart. To stop this, four SpellStones were placed within the Force Point Temples. With the seals broken, Scar entered the temples and removed the SpellStones. With nothing to hold back the magic force the island was torn apart!”

“Why would Scar steal the SpellStones?” Slippy asked.

“They are four large gems, each representing one of the four elements. To the Diamond Dogs, they are just most treasure to hoard. However, I can’t help but to think that there’s something else at work here. General Scar is more intelligent that the others and he seems to crave power more than gems. Maybe he desires to harness the power of the island for himself.”

“Okay, the bad guy takes the SpellStones, your island falls apart, and I have to find the Spell Stones, and take them back to the Force Point Temples. Got it,” Spike recapped his mission.

“See Mom, I told you he was good,” Tricky said to his mother.

“My son will remain with you,” the Queen decreed. “For only a dinosaur of noble birth can breathe life into the Spell Stones.”

Tricky held his head up high smugly, feeling oh so important that he had such an important part to play in the mission. However, the Star Fox team wasn’t too keen on having the Prince going on such a dangerous mission.

“What?! Uh… That’s okay, but don’t you think he’s a bit young?” Captain Pepper protested. “I mean, it’s going to very dangerous. Loads of bad guys…”

“Fighting…” Peppy added.

“Death…” Slippy also added.

“He knows the island well,” the Queen said in her son’s defense. “And I’m sure Spike has seen how resourceful he can be.”

“Yeah…Sure,” Spike said, unsure how to respond to that statement.

“Come on, Spike. We’ll make a great team!” Tricky cheered. Spike smirked a little, admiring the young dinosaur’s enthusiasm. It reminded him of how he was when he was just a kid.

“Okay, but if you mess up just once, I’ll send you straight back to mommy,” Spike teased.

“Okay yeah, yeah,” Tricky said as he rolled his eyes.

“Are you sure about this?” the Captain asked, still having doubts about the plan. “Isn’t there anyone else that can go with Spike? Isn’t there any remaining EarthWalker soldiers?”

“Unfortunately, no,” the Queen responded with a heavy heart. “The troops that have been sent to Krazoa Place fell in battle and our remaining forces are trapped in our homeland of the Walled City, which is now circling the island in the air. I’m afraid you’re out of options.”

“No reinforcements,” the brown Unicorn muttered. “But that’s okay, we’re Star Fox. We get the job done no matter what.”

“Good,” the Queen said moving on. “Now, our spies have indicated that Scar was last seen in DarkIce Mines in the SnowHorn Wastes. I know the SnowHorn Chieftain well, Garunda Te.” Queen smiled and shook her head at the thought of her friend. “A silly fellow, but he can guide you to the SpellStone.”

“But, Your Majesty, the Diamond Dogs have taken SnowHorn Wastes!” Spike announced.

“It’s true!” Tricky confirmed. A look of shock appeared on the Queen’s face, but then it became one of sorrow and concern.

“You must go back to the SnowHorn Wastes and find him,” she urged. “It is our only hope.”

“Got it,” Spike said and then started to head off towards the exit.

“And Spike,” she called after him, causing the dragon to pause. “I think you might need this.” She moved her front leg to the side to reveal a key. “The Diamond Dogs dropped it when they attacked me. Maybe it will come in use somewhere.”

“Okay, wish us luck. Come on, Tricky,” Spike said as he picked up the key and ran out the bunker into the light rain.

“Wait for me!” the young EarthWalker called out as he ran after Spike. The dragon and his new partner ran north through the Hollow towards the aqueduct that used to return the valley. On the way, the ThornTail that Spike had met when he first arrived waved to them.

“Good luck, young dragon,” the ankylosaur cheered. Spike didn’t have time to stop, but he waved back as he passed by.

After taking the underground passage through the mountain and swimming through the ice cold water, Spike and Tricky were back in the Wastes. The fat bulldog guard was still sitting by the entrance of the tunnel and he was sleeping on the job again. Spike and Tricky ignored the guard, and headed towards the fort that the dogs had constructed. Snow was falling from the clouds that covered the island. The purple dragon observed the crudely built wall, checking to see if there were guards on patrol. For the moment, there didn’t seem to be any. Spike thought about of flying over the wall, but he didn’t want to risk being seen by any Diamond Dogs that might be on the other side of the wall of rock and compacted snow. Besides, his wings were still a little worn out from the flying he had done earlier. With enough force, he probably could just knock a part of the wall down and walk in, but that will draw too much attention to them.

He then noticed that there was a gate. He and Tricky looked through the crossed bars and they could see a few torches inside along with a simple shelter. In the distance, he could see a few large creatures with shaggy brown hair and long tusks. When Spike noticed their trunks, his suspicions about the SnowHorns being Wooly Mammoths were confirmed.

“Hey Spike, look!” Spike looked over to Tricky and saw that he was pointing to a lock on the gate. Curious, Spike pulled out the key that the Queen had given him and tried it on the lock. The key slid into place and Spike gave it a turn. It turns out the key was useful after all, and Spike heard a click as the gate was unlocked. The dragon opened the gate quietly, making sure it didn’t make any noise, and the two sneaked inside.

They carefully made their way into fort, looking around for guards as they crept towards the SnowHorns. The pachyderms noticed the approaching dragon and realized that he was there to help them when they saw that he was accompanied by Prince Tricky. Spike put a claw to his pursed lips to tell them to be quiet. The SnowHorns nodded in understanding and looked around to keep a lookout for their captors. Spike saw that they were shackled and pulled out the key again. One by one, he removed the shackles from each of their large ankles and they stood up.

“Is everyone alright?” Spike whispered.

“Yes, we’re fine,” one of them answered.

“Where is Garunda Te?” Spike asked.

“They’ve got him trapped over there in a pit,” another SnowHorn told him and pointed with his trunk.

“Alright, you guys get out of here. We’ll rescue him.” The SnowHorns trumpeted and charged through the wall, busting a large hole in it. Spike face palmed and muttered, “I meant quietly sneak out. Never mind, come on! We’ve got to hurry, someone will have heard that!”

Spike and Tricky ran up to where the other SnowHorn indicated and found a sheet of ice covering a large hole in the ground. There was a crack in the ice and a trunk was sticking out. Through the crack, Spike and Tricky could see the face of a SnowHorn.

“Are you okay?” Tricky called down to the imprisoned mammoth.

“The Diamond Dogs have starved me and imprisoned me in this infernal cave,” the older sounding mammoth answered in a raspy voice. “If you can bring me some frost weeds, I’ll be strong enough to get myself out.”

“What are frost weeds?” Spike asked.

“They grow in trees like the one over there,” the SnowHorn said as he pointed to a nearby tree with his trunk. In the tree, Spike could see a cluster of bristly plants hanging from the branches.

“Hey, who break our wall?!” they heard the sound of an angry Diamond Dog yelling. Spike and Tricky saw a group of five dogs gathering around the broken wall. The returning dogs then noticed that their prisoners were gone and that intruders were standing in the middle of their fort. They howled and raised their clubs as they rushed towards the dragon and the dinosaur.

“Tricky, you get the frost weeds. I’ll hold them off!” While the EarthWalker ran towards the frost weed tree, Spike ran to meet his opponents head on. The dogs barked and growl as they prepared to swing their clubs. Spike smirked and kicked off the ground as he flapped his wings hard. Though his wings were tired, the stunt worked and Spike launched himself over the incoming dogs. The dogs yelped in confusion as their swings missed and they fell off balanced to the ground as the dragon flipped over their heads and landed behind them. Spike reached backwards over his head, grabbed the nearest dog behind him by the shoulders, lifted him over his head, and then slammed him helmet first into the snow in front of him. The dog moaned unconsciously as his cohorts spun around in time to see Spike’s foot flying towards their faces as he did roundhouse kick.

As Spike pounded the dogs, Tricky charged the tree. Using his head to ram the base of the trunk, he knocked loose the frost weeds. He then used his horned beaklike mouth to gather the weeds that had fallen from the tree together and roll them towards the ice. The SnowHorn’s trunk grabbed the ball of bristles and pulled it through the crack in the ice. Tricky could hear the mammoth munching on the weeds followed by a satisfied burp. With a loud trumpeting call, the mammoth smashed through the sheet of ice and charge up the ramp that led down into the cave. The freed SnowHorn stomped his feet and thrashed his tusks about while trumpeting loudly. The Diamond Dogs that were still conscious after the beating they received from Spike grabbed their fellow dogs and ran out of the fort.

“Humph, good riddance,” the SnowHorn said as he watched the cowards flee before turning to his rescuers. “Ah, the young prince. Who is this with you?”

“This is my friend, Spike,” Tricky introduced his partner. “My mother sent us to find you.”

“Well, I am Garunda Te, Chieftain of the SnowHorn Tribe and Guardian of the SpellStone of Earth.”

“We’re looking for a SpellStone.”

“A SpellStone?” Garunda Te thoughtfully asked. “It is my duty as Guardian to protect the land from which a SpellStone is forged. General Scar took the SpellStone and discovered that I was a Guardian. He gave me an ultimatum; allow him to take the SpellStone back to the sacred land or he will destroy my tribe. I could not risk the safety of the entire island, so I refused to help. My daughter did not think this way, and so, to save the tribe, she allowed him to enter the mines. Scar did not destroy my tribe, he enslaved them instead.” With sorrow and pain, Garunda Te lowered his head. “My daughter dishonored me… You must search for the SpellStone of Earth in DarkIce Mines, which now floats above the island, and return it to the Volcano Force Point Temple. Only then will the SpellStone’s power be returned.”

“Alright sir, you can count on us,” Spike told the Chieftain. He then turned to his partner and said, “Come Tricky, we need to head to the mines.”

“Spike, do you and your friends have away to get up to the mines?” the dinosaur asked as he ran alongside Spike.

The dragon smirked and asked, “Have you ever ridden in an airship before?”