• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 5,632 Views, 186 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Krazoa Island - DiabloGuapo



Fleeing Equestria for a crime he didn't commit, Spike finds himself on a magical island filled with dinosaurs. It is up to him to save the island before it is completely destroyed.

  • ...
8
 186
 5,632

The Galleon

The rain fell and lightning illuminated the night sky, revealing the figure of a Unicorn riding on the back of a strange creature. The Unicorn had a pristine alabaster coat and meticulously styled violet mane that took her forever to prepare. She squinted her sapphire eyes and furrowed her brow as she fretted over the rain that was ruining her coiffure. With one hoof, she vainly attempted to shield herself from the downpour and held onto her ride with her other.

The creature that the mare was riding on was something she had never expected to see. It resembled a large orange bird with a protruding beak and a long crest extending from the back of its head. Unlike a bird, its body was covered in scales instead of feathers and its wings resembled that of a bat. When she first encountered the strange being, she thought it was some sort of dragon. In fact, many of the ponies in Fillydelphia had thought so too. She thought back to the time she met her strange companion early that morning.

A few days ago, the white Unicorn and her friends had scattered across the Kingdom of Equestria in search of one who was dear to them. When they split up, she traveled east from their home in Ponyville. In hopes of finding information about her missing friend, she entered into a dinner located near the harbor. Before she could ask anypony about her friend, she noticed the owner of the dinner, a gruff looking stallion, arguing with the large orange creature.

“I’m not telling you again,” the stallion said angrily. “Dragons are not welcomed here!”

“A um dek u thuwed. A um u SceitHiddoh,” the supposed “dragon” argued back in a strange language.

“I don’t know what you said, but I don’t like your tone!” The owner then shoved the foreigner towards to door. “Your kind isn’t welcomed here!”

“Rik A…” the winged stranger started to say but was shoved again in the chest by the obnoxious pony. Looking around the dinner for help, he saw the harsh eyes of the customers glaring at him. Seeing that there was no way for him to win this fight, he turned and left through the door and the slightly overweight owner of the dinner smirked smugly as the other ponies cheered for him.

“Can you believe it? Two dragons in two days?” the stallion said to a waitress. “What is Equestria coming to if those dangerous monsters can freely walk the streets amongst us ponies?”

The white mare gawked at the scene, appalled by the despicable behavior of the ponies before her. In her righteous fury, she marched towards the gray Earth Pony with a balding brown mane.

“What you did, sir, was one of the utmost disgraceful acts of in-hospitality I have ever witnessed,” she berated the stallion.

“Huh? What are you talking about?” he asked, surprised at the mare’s agitation.

“What gives you the right to treat others in such a manner?” she questioned.

“Didn’t you see him? He was a dragon.”

“And what does that have anything to do with it? What does it matter if anyone is a pony, a griffon, or a dragon? Everyone deserves to be treated with courtesy and respect!”

“You can’t tell me who I can and cannot let into my dinner,” the stallion growled in response. “If you don’t like how I run things here, then you can leave!”

“That is exactly what I plan to do.” She huffed, calming herself down. “But first, tell me what you meant by ‘two dragons in two days.’ Was there another dragon here yesterday?”

“Yeah, that’s what I meant,” the owner sneered. A flicker of hope ignited in her and she started to become excited.

“Was he purple with green spines?”

“Yeah, he was. Now get out.”

“Where did he go? Which way was he headed?” she asked fervently.

“I told you to get out. Beat it or I’ll toss you out of here,” he threatened. The sound of a slap was heard and the white mare left the dinner, leaving the gray Earth Pony with a red hoof print across his face. She walked down the path towards the harbor and saw the orange “dragon” talking to a few ponies on a ship.

“Excuse me sir,” she called out to him. He turned his head in her direction and then flew over to her with his scaly wings. “I want to apologize to you for what just happened back there.”

“Te dek nehho ureic ak,” he responded in his native language.

“I beg your pardon?”

“Oh… I mean, don’t worry about it,” he translated. “I’m sorry, I keep forget you ponies don’t speak my language.”

“And what language is that?”

“It’s Saurian, the Language of the Dinosaurs.”

“Dinosaurs,” she marveled as she looked him over, realizing he wasn’t a dragon at all. Now that she got a good look at him, he did look like one of those fossils she once saw in a museum as a filly. She tried to remember what his species was called, but their names were hard for her to remember. Perhaps it was “Pterodactyl” or something like that. She would bet her scholarly friend, Twilight Sparkle, could immediate tell what he was. “But I thought dinosaurs were extinct. Oh! Forgive me, I didn’t mean to offend you!”

“That’s okay,” he dismissed while laughing. “No, not all of us. I come from Krazoa Island; a land rich in magic and a place where us prehistoric tribes have taken refuge throughout the ages.”

“That’s incredible! But what are you doing here in Equestria?”

“I’m looking for help,” he explained. “Something has happened to Krazoa Island. For some reason, it’s falling apart! Since not all of the tribes get along, our leaders haven’t been able to come up with a solution. A few of us have left Krazoa Island seeking help. We’ve even offered a reward for anyone that can help us.”

“Oh my, that is quite the ordeal!”

“Yes, that’s why I came here. I was hoping to meet up with a group of mercenaries that I had heard had agreed to help us, but apparently they have already left.”

“You don’t mean Pepper’s crew, do you?” one of the sailors that the prehistoric flyer had been talking to called out.

“Probably. Do you know if they already left for Krazoa Island?”

“I think so. They did take off in their airship and flew in that direction yesterday,” the sailor answered. “They also had a new crew member; a purple dragon.”

“That’s Spike!” the mare cried. “Oh please, sir. Will you take me there? I need to find him!”

“Sorry ma’am, but we’re not headed that way.”

“But this is important! He has been framed for a crime he didn’t commit and I need to bring him home!”

“I can take you there,” the pterosaur offered. “That is, if you don’t mind riding on my back.”

“Oh, thank you!” She pulled out a piece of paper, wrote a letter explaining the situation, and gave it to the sailor. “Can you please send this letter to Canterlot? It’s important that the Princesses receive it.”

“No problem ma’am.”

“Well then, shall we be off?” she said to the orange pterosaur.

“Yes. I’m Kyte of the CloudRunner Tribe,” he introduced himself as he lowered himself so that she can get on.

“My name is Rarity. It is a pleasure to meet you.”

Lightning crackled across the sky again, snapping Rarity out of her thoughts and back to reality. In the distance, she could barely make out the silhouette of a land mass through the storm.

“Kyte, what is that?” Rarity asked the CloudRunner.

“Those are the mountains of Krazoa Island. We’re almost there,” he announced.

“Thank goodness. I don’t know how much longer I can stand all this rain,” she whined, concerned about her ruined hairstyle.

“Well, you’re not the one who has been flying all day carrying a pony on their back,” he retorted.

“Are you saying I’m heavy?” she asked, slightly offended.

“No, but it’s not easy to fly this far with someone on their back.”

Rarity then placed on hoof on the necklace she was wearing. It was a heart shaped fire ruby that her special somedragon, Spike, had given to her years ago. He had originally planned on eating it as a birthday present to himself but gave it to her instead when he saw how much she admired it. After she realized how much she cared for him after he had disappeared to a parallel world, she confessed her feelings for him when he returned and started to wear the necklace more often as a symbol of their love. Just recently, a fiendish monster rose from its grave and started to attack the citizens of Ponyville. A bunch of bigoted inspectors accused Spike of the foul deed and he had to flee from their persecution. Now that Spike had slain the monster and his innocence has been proven, she along with the other Bearers of the Elements of Harmony was on a mission to bring the dragon home.

Suddenly, a light shone in the distance.

“What was that?” Rarity asked.

“That was a distress flare!” the CloudRunner answered.

“A distress flare? Then we better see if we can offer our assistance!” They then heard a popping sound in the distance that sounded similar to distant thunder.

“Whoa!” Kyte exclaimed as he swerved to evade a projectile that came out of nowhere. The sudden motion rattled Rarity and she held onto Kyte’s back for dear life. Cautiously peering into the darkness, she saw another silhouette flying in the night sky. From it, there was a flash of fire and what she then realized was a cannonball whizzed pass them in the air. Another shot was fired and a cannonball came too close for comfort and the CloudRunner again had to swerve quickly out of the way. When Kyte dodge the shot, it caused Rarity to lurch forward, and when she jerked back her hoof hit her necklace, sending it plummeting to the world below.

“My necklace!” she called as her precious piece of jewelry quickly disappeared from of sight. Though it pained her to lose her necklace, she had to focus on the current situation. Looking back up, she saw the large dark object come into view and saw it was an airship. Not only was it an airship, it appeared to be a pirate ship!

“It’s the Diamond Dogs!” Kyte shouted.

“The Diamond Dogs? But what are they doing here and how did they get access to such technology?” Rarity remembered her encounter with the bipedal canines; they were brutish and dimwitted. They only cared for treasure and certainly were not capable of building airships.

“They came to Krazoa Island a few months ago with their leader, the evil General Scar, and demanded that the dinosaurs make them the ruling tribe, but we rejected them. They later returned with weapons that were more advanced than anything we have on Krazoa Island and started to attack the tribes. They’re the reason why the island is falling apart!”

Another cannonball was launched and they had to evade it again. The Unicorn mare realized that she had to do something about it.

“We have got to stop them before they shoot us out of the sky!” she urgently declared. “Kyte, can you get me close to those cannons? I can take them out with my magic.”

“Hang on!” he shouted back as he sped towards the galleon. As he did a flyby across the port side of the ship, Rarity’s horn glowed blue with magic and the cannons on the left side were encased in a matching blue aura. When they fired again, the magic aura plugged up the cannons, causing them to misfire and explode. Kyte then flew to the starboard side and Rarity also encased those cannons with her magic. The Diamond Dogs, not learning from their mistake, fired again at the CloudRunner and the Unicorn. Again, the cannons exploded, leaving the galleon without its weapons.

“To the stern, we need to slow it down!” Rarity called to Kyte. He complied and circled around to the back of the ship. They saw the massive spinning propeller and Rarity used her magic on it. She groaned as she strained to hold the propeller in place with her magic, and the massive propeller’s gears screeched in protest. Eventually, Rarity released her grip and saw that her efforts had caused the propeller to become unstable and spun much slower than it did before. “Kyte, land on the bow. I want to investigate.”

The CloudRunner landed on the crippled ship and Rarity carefully slid off his back. She looked around, but didn’t see any of the crew. The pair looked to each other, both of them being on edge.

“I can take it from here,” she told him.

“Are you sure? These Diamond Dogs are dangerous,” he cautioned.

“Trust me; I have dealt with them before. I know how to deal with their sort,” she boasted, but then took a more serious tone. “But be sure to fly close to the ship just in case.”

Kyte nodded and flew off, leaving her alone on the deck. Rarity carefully made her way to the cabin towards the stern. Smoke rose from the side of the ship where the cannons had exploded and she could hear a chirping sound. Just outside the cabin door was a bird cage with a baby CloudRunner sitting sadly inside it. When it saw the violet maned Unicorn approaching it, it looked up to her with pleading eyes.

“Oh, you poor dear,” she said pityingly to the captive infant. “Let me get you out of there.”

“Fcoujo xocf mo! Wok mo eik ev xoho!” the baby cried desperately, flapping its wings in distress.

“Sshhh!” she tried to hush the CloudRunner as she started to climb the stairs to the cabin. “Somepony might…”

Just as she was saying those words, the door burst open and Rarity jumped back down the stairs. Looming in the door-frame was a tall figure. It was certainly a Diamond Dog, but he looked much more refined than the rest of his kind. He ran out of the cabin and jump down the stairs, landing in front of the Unicorn. He had black fur with cropped ears and a tan underbelly. His snout was pointed and he had a scar running down the left side of his face and over his eye. Like the other Diamond Dogs, he wore armor, but like the others, it wasn’t shoulder pads and helmets meant for sports. His breastplate was made of red leather with spiked shoulder pads and his helmet had two curved horns on it. A stylized “S” was on his breastplate and a talisman of what appeared to be a red fang or claw hung from around his neck.

“General Scar,” the Doberman Diamond Dog presented himself. “Ruler, tyrant, and dictator of Krazoa Island. What brings you to my island?”

“I’m not here to fight you,” Rarity cautiously told the towering Doberman, noting that his left paw had been replaced by two claw-like hooks. “I’m only here to find someone and because a distress call.”

The armored dog chuckled sinisterly before saying, “A distressed call? This whole island is in distress.” He turned and walked back up the stairs.

“The CloudRunner told me about you,” Rarity called up to him, causing him to turn around and look down at her. Her eyes narrowed in recognition of who he was and said, “The evil General.”

“My girl, I’m not evil,” he laughed at her as though it was a silly notion. “I rule over the many dinosaur tribes. You see, I must control this island with fear.” He turned to the bird cage that was hung by the cabin door and shoved it with his hooked hand, causing the infant CloudRunner to squawk in peril. “Otherwise, the tribes always try to fight against me.”

Seeing the infant being terrorized, Rarity charged up the stairs to come to the baby’s rescue. She shot a blast of blue magic at him, but his real paw and the talisman glowed violet and green and he deflected her attack. Seeing that he possessed magic stunned her, and he took advantage of her surprise and grabbed her by the throat and lifted her off the ground. She now understood that he was far crueler, ruthless, and smarter than rest of his kind. His grip tightened and Rarity gasped for air.

“You dare to challenge me?” he snarled in her face, baring his teeth at the frightened mare. He then dragged her across the floor, her legs kicking in attempt to break free, as he made his way to the railing of the ship. He lifted her up and shouted, “No one can defeat General Scar!”

Rarity screamed as the Doberman threw her overboard. He laughed as he relished in the demise of the pony. When he looked over the edge to watch her fall to her doom, she flew in front on him, riding on the back of Kyte.

“Bad luck, General,” she mocked him. “Better luck next time!”

As Kyte flew away from the galleon, she could hear Scar swear, “This isn’t over!”

“Let’s find the source of that distress signal. Somepony…er…someone out there needs help!”

“Yes, and by the looks of it, his ship was coming from Krazoa Place!” Kyte explained. “We’ve got to hurry. Who knows what those dogs have done! Hold on tight, miss.”

Rarity did as Kyte told to her to do as he flapped his wings faster. As they headed off towards this “Krazoa Place,” Rarity couldn’t help but think of what that brute could have done to the ones who had fired the flare. He tried to kill her, and if he was willing to kill her, then he would be willing to kill others as well! This didn’t make sense to her. Though the Diamond Dogs were uncouth ruffians, they were not murders. Then why was this one so evil? Instinctively, she placed a hoof to her necklace to find it was gone. She then remembered that she had lost it and felt her heart sink. It also reminded her that Spike was out there somewhere. She closed her eyes and sighed with regret. She then looked back up and saw a building resting on top a mountain in the distance.