• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 5,649 Views, 186 Comments

The Legend of Spike: Krazoa Island - DiabloGuapo



Fleeing Equestria for a crime he didn't commit, Spike finds himself on a magical island filled with dinosaurs. It is up to him to save the island before it is completely destroyed.

  • ...
8
 186
 5,649

The Queen CloudRunner

“Well that was a waste of time,” Rainbow Dash grumbled as she sat by a campfire. The group of five mares had traveled to SnowHorn Wastes and spoke to the leader there named Garunda Te. When they asked him if he had seen Spike, he told them that the dragon had gone to DarkIce Mines in search of something called a SpellStone. When they arrived at the floating mine, they found out that Spike had already left.

“Yeah, it’s like, ‘Thank you ponies, but your Spike is in another castle’,” Pinkie Pie remarked, causing her friends to give her an odd look.

“Well, at least they were neighborly enough to invite us to stay for the night,” pointed out Applejack, causing the other ponies to nod in agreement. Belena Te, the Chieftain’s daughter, had offered them a spare hut in the work camp. Since it was getting dark outside and starting to snow, they graciously accepted the invitation. As they sat around the fire, Twilight Sparkle was going through records and maps she had finally managed to barter from the stingy store keeper back in ThornTail Hollow. It was quite the chore to translate them from Saurian to Equestrian, but the Alicorn enjoyed the challenge.

“I wouldn’t say that it was a waste. We’ve gathered a lot of information. From what we’ve learned from the SnowHorns and from what I have deciphered so far, there are four SpellStones,” Twilight said as she continued to look over the scrolls. “It’s quite fascinating. Apparently, these SpellStones regulate the output of the flow of magical energy coming from deep within the island.”

“And Spike has already found the SpellStone that the Diamond Dogs hid here,” Rainbow Dash added. “He’s doing the job that Spitfire wanted me to do. I say we hurry up and find the other three stones before those mercenaries do.”

“Focus Rainbow Dash,” scolded Twilight. “We’re here to find Spike and Rarity, not for the money.”

“Yeah yeah, I know,” the blue Pegasus brushed off. “But it wouldn’t hurt to get something for our effort on the side. Besides, we will be saving an island.”

“I suppose…” Twilight conceded. “But our main goal is finding our friends. We’ve just missed Spike and we have no clue on where’s Rarity.”

“So what do you suggest Twi?” Applejack asked the lavender mare. Twilight tapped her chin with her hoof as she thought.

“If Spike is looking for the SpellStones, then there are three places that he could be headed,” Twilight said as she pointed to the map as the other four ponies gathered around her. “The CloudRunner Fortress, the Walled City, and Dragon Rock. Belena also told us that they have an airship, which means that they’ll be traveling a lot faster than our balloon.”

“Whoa, hold up there sugar cube,” the orange farm pony interjected. “Are you ‘bout to suggest what Ah think you’re gonna suggest?”

“I’m afraid so Applejack; we have to split-up,” Twilight confirmed. “I know it’s dangerous, but it’s our best option. Since Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and I have wings, we’ll fly to the three floating islands. Applejack, you and Pinkie Pie will take the balloon back to ThornTail Hollow. It seems to be the crossroads of the island. There will be a good chance that Spike will pass by there at some point.”

“But what if we run into those Diamond Dogs?” Fluttershy nervously asked. “They mean business and I’m not much of a fighter.”

“I know. That’s why you’ll just be looking for Spike or his team. That goes for everypony,” Twilight announced seriously. “Since we’ll be divided, we’re going to be outnumbered and they won’t be holding back. If there’s trouble, don’t go looking for a fight.” She then looked pointedly at the Pegasus with the multicolored mane. “Right, Rainbow Dash?”

“Understood ma’am” the daredevil Pegasus saluted.

“Good, now who’s going to go where?”

“I’ll take Dragon Rock,” Rainbow Dash volunteered. “It sounds like the most dangerous one, so it’s best that I go there.”

Twilight nodded in approval and then turned to Fluttershy. “That leaves CloudRunner Fortress and the Walled City. Which one do you prefer?”

“Um… well. I guess CloudRunner sounds nice… I guess,” the yellow Pegasus said unsure.

“Good, then I’ll take the Walled City,” Twilight announced. “Now, we should all get some sleep. We’ll head out first thing tomorrow morning. If we don’t find Spike after three days, we’ll meet back in ThornTail Hollow.”

*****

The next morning, Spike and Tricky were taking the road south from ThornTail Hollow to Cape Claw. Tricky’s mother had told Spike that the Ocean Force Point Temple was located somewhere on the beach and he wanted to check it out for future reference. The path led through a wooded area and Spike could hear birds chirping in the trees. The path was covered in leaves that were shades of red and gold. Blue flowers grew along the side of the road and vines grew up the stone walls of ancient abandoned buildings.

“Not bad,” Spike said as he took in the scenery. It reminded him of Whitetail Woods back home in Equestria.

“Yeah, the LightFoot Tribe is said to live in these woods,” Tricky told him. “They keep to themselves and don’t really like outsiders.”

Spike panned around, looking through the trees in hopes to catch a glimpse of these elusive dinosaurs. However, the only thing he saw was a few falling leaves and a bird fluttering by. “Alright, let’s keep moving.”

As they passed by the ruined buildings, they could hear the sounds of waves in the distance. That meant that they must be getting near the beach. The road went from the quiet woods to a sandy trail that went up a rocky hill. Blocking the opening of the trail was the same portly bulldog from SnowHorn Wastes.

“Hey, I remember you,” Spike said to the heavy guard, recognizing him as the guard that they bribed to let them pass. “What are you doing here?”

“Transferred,” answered the bulldog, drool dripping down from his jowls. “Too cold up in mountains. And boss says no point being there anymore.”

“Well, can you let us by?” Tricky asked. “We want to go to the beach.”

“Uh-uh,” the dog denied as he shook his head, sending drool flying. A big glob of saliva smack Spike right in the face. He groaned in irritation and wiped off the drool. “I remember what happen last time. You broke our fort.”

“I have more gems,” Spike tempted as he pulled an amethyst from his bag. “I’ll give you this lovely amethyst if you let us by.”

“Amethyst and a ruby,” the dog haggled.

“Okay okay, an amethyst and a ruby,” Spike said as he handed over the purple and red gems. A huge grin formed of the dog’s floppy jowls and he waddled out of the way.

“You pass, but don’t tell boss.” As Spike and Tricky made it to the top of the hill, they were met with a stunning view of the beach. Down the hill were white sands, tropical palm trees, and waves gently rolling onto the shore. A waterfall flowed over a cliff into the sea, its waters sparkling in the sunlight. It would be an ideal location for a tropical get away. Down in the water, Spike could see a huge dinosaur with a long neck and tail, but a small head, wading in the water. Spike recognized it as a sauropod, possibly an Apatosaurus.

“Boy, I could live here,” Spike commented as he and Tricky walked down the trail to the beach. Cape Claw was a small u-shaped inlet with cliffs surrounding a sandy beach. In the center of the rocky wall that wrapped around the bay was a large stone building carved to resemble a Krazoa Spirit.

Then Spike noticed something that stood out. The stone building that must be the Ocean Force Point Temple must be ancient, yet there were wooden scaffolding and platforms near it that looked new. To confirm what his was thinking, Spike saw a Diamond Dog walking on the scaffolding. It looked around and then went back inside a wooden shack.

“Figures. The Diamond Dogs have an outpost here too,” Spike snorted as he pointed out a group of wooden buildings. Spike then looked over to the sauropod. “Hey Tricky, what kind of dinosaur is that?”

“That’s a HighTop,” Tricky identified the huge dinosaur.

“Come on; let’s see if we can talk to him.” The two ran along the shore in direction of the HighTop. Craning their necks, Spike and Tricky looked up at the towering dinosaur. “Excuse us.” The long necked dinosaur heard something calling to it. It looked around, but didn’t see anyone. “Down here.”

“Well, hello there,” the HighTop greeted when it looked down and saw the dragon and the EarthWalker standing at its feet. “Fine day to be at the beach, isn’t it? I love coming here for vacations. Warm sun, cool water, and it’s a great place to dig for gold. Well, it used to be until those dogs came and started making a mess of things. They even have someone locked up in cage over there.” Spike and Tricky looked at each other when they heard this and then bolted for the Diamond Dog outpost. “Hey, where are you going? Well… It was nice talking to you.”

The two made their way around the beach to the wooden shacks on the western side of the inlet. Being careful to not be seen by any patrolling guards, Spike and Tricky sneaked in between the buildings. Spike peaked inside a window and saw a Diamond Dog curled up on the floor asleep. The purple dragon was thankful that they weren’t the best nor the brightest guards around. Moving on, they came across a building from which they heard sobbing coming from inside. The voice wasn’t that of a Diamond Dog, so Spike took a peak through the door and saw a cell. Inside the cell was a pterosaur. It had orange scales and wore a golden cap and a blue vestment. Spike had noticed that the inhabitants of the island wore clothing such as bracelets and necklaces. Those of a higher position wore more elaborate decorations. Judging by the prisoner’s regalia, this must be someone of great importance.

“Tricky, keep a look out while I go inside,” Spike whispered. He then crept into the building and walked to the cell’s door. He didn’t see any keys lying about anywhere, but the cell shouldn’t be that difficult for him to bust. He grabbed the door by its bars and pulled. The hinges groaned from the strain and eventually gave. Spike and the CloudRunner looked around to see if the sound had alerted any of the dogs. When none came, they gave a sigh of relief and Spike quietly placed the door aside. When Tricky saw the dragon exiting the building, he made his way out of the outpost with Spike and the freed pterosaur following him. Once they were clear of the buildings, Tricky turned around and saw who it was that Spike had freed.

“Whoa!” Tricky exclaimed as he quickly backed away and hid behind Spike. “A CloudRunner! Shoo! Shoo! Go away, CloudRunner, get away!”

Spike stared at the Prince with an incredulous look and then back to CloudRunner. “Have you two met?”

“He is an EarthWalker,” said the CloudRunner in a dignified voice as she held up her head, insulted by the young EarthWalker’s bad manners. She turned and took a few steps along the beach. “I am a CloudRunner. Our tribes do not see eye to eye. His father has probably been saying bad things about me.”

Great, bigotry even exists here, Spike sarcastically thought. “How did you end up locked up back there?”

“General Scar, of course,” she replied as she looked back over her shoulder at her rescuer. “You see, I am the Queen of the CloudRunner Tribe and also the guardian of the SpellStone of Water. After he stole the SpellStones, he had me imprisoned.”

“That guy needs to be taught a lesson,” Spike said as he pounded his fist into his other claw. “Where is he now?”

“He is currently occupying the CloudRunner Fortress,” she told him as she looked to the southwestern sky. She then turned to look at Spike with a desperate look. “I must return there to help my tribe.”

“I’m going to need that SpellStone to save the island, so it looks like you’ll have company,” Spike explained. The Queen CloudRunner gave him a thankful smile as Spike tapped the communication stone of his wrist. “Captain Pepper, we have to head up to the CloudRunner Fortress. Can you pick us up at Cape Claw? We’re with the Queen CloudRunner and she can lead us there.”

“Affirmative,” Captain Pepper’s floating head confirmed from the communication stone. “We will see you in a few minutes. Pepper out.”

“Wait a minute!” Tricky shouted. “There’s no way I’m going up to her fortress.”

Spike looked down at his partner and rolled his eyes. “Okay, you can sit this one out. You can wait with the others on the ship.”

In a matter of a few minutes, the Great Fox was flying in the air following the Queen CloudRunner. When it took off from ThornTail Hollow and headed south to pick up Spike and Tricky, the three ponies inside didn’t notice the purple hot air balloon headed from SnowHorn Wastes to the north. As the vessel approached the floating island, they noticed a bowl shaped valley with step walls. Inside was a lake with a palace built over it. It had domed roofs supported by tall pillars. They also spotted the Diamond Dogs’ airships docked in the lake.

The Great Fox landed on a platform decorated with a jade crest of a CloudRunner. Planted along the bridge to the fortress where cherry trees that were covered in white and pink blossoms. Spike took one last look at Tricky to see if he would change his mind, but the young dinosaur stubbornly sat on his rump. Spike walked onto the platform as the Queen swooped down and landed on one of the large bronze statues of CloudRunners that stood on either side of the bridge.

“This is CloudRunner Fortress,” she announced from her perch. “I’ll fly ahead and check if it’s safe. Meet me inside.”

She flapped her wings and took off towards the white and teal palace. At the end of the bridge was a bronze gate which Spike quietly opened. He knew he could take the Diamond Dogs in a fight, but he wanted the element of surprise on his side, especially if their leader was here. On the other side of the gate was a tall spiral staircase that led up to the palace. He bypassed the stairs and flew up to the top. As he landed, he heard the cry of the Queen coming from an archway that led to a courtyard. By the sound of it, she was in trouble!

“Oh no, the Queen!” Spike said to himself as he ran to the archway. As he made it to the courtyard, he hid behind the archway and peeked around the corner. He could see six Diamond Dogs circled around a figure lying on the ground. He recognized Spot, Fido, and their superior, Rover. He was taller than Spot but shorter than Fido, and he wore a red vest instead of gray to show his higher status. At their feet was the Queen with two lesser dogs pinning her wings down. Towering over them all was a Doberman Diamond Dog that stood an imposing seven feet tall. He wore red leather armor with spiked shoulder pads and a horned helmet. His fur was black and his left paw had been replaced with two hooks that resembled claws. With his remaining paw, he fiddled with a red talisman that looked like a claw or a fang. When Spike saw the “S” on his breastplate and scar over his left eye, Spike knew that he had to be the General.

“I know it was the dragon that set you free,” Scar spoke loudly to the Queen with his back to her. “Now where is he?”

“I do not know what you’re talking about,” she lied in an effort to cover for Spike. By the sound of the strain in her voice, they must have beaten her. In a rage, Scar yelled as he knocked over the two dogs that were holding her down and grabbed her by throat.

“You will tell me!” he roared as he held the CloudRunner over his head. He brought her beaky face closer to his and snarled, “Where can I find the dragon?”

“He will find you,” she chocked as he gripped her throat tighter. “And he will destroy you!”

He growled but then closed his eyes with a calm look upon his face. He released his grip and she fell to the floor, coughing and gasping for air. He then raised his paw as a sign to his underlings, and they started to strike her with their clubs. She shrieked and cried out in pain as they mercilessly attacked her.

“Stop!” a voice called from behind them, causing General Scar to look over his shoulder to see Spike running out from his hiding place. “It’s over Scar.” Spike squatted down in a fighting pose and flexed his sharp claws. “Leave the Queen alone.”

“Enough. Take her away,” the alpha dog ordered as he turned to face the teenaged dragon. The five dogs stopped beating the Queen and dragged her off into the palace. Scar smiled sinisterly at Spike, baring his teeth at him. “So you are the dragon that has been interfering with my plans. How nice of you to pay us a visit. Why don’t I show you some of our hospitality?”

The General snapped and two Diamond Dogs approached Spike, one on each side. When they tried rushing him, Spike kicked one in the face and quickly wheeled around to elbow the other in the gut. Just as he was about to knock them out, a swirled bolt of black, purple, and green magic struck the dragon in the chest, knocking him off balance. Surprised by the sudden magic attack, Spike looked back to the General and saw that the red talisman around his neck and his outstretched paw were enveloped in the aura of the dark magic.

Magic? But how? Spike wondered to himself. Scar then shot another magic blast at him, and he crossed his arms to shield himself. The force of the attack pushed Spike back, giving time for more Diamond Dogs to show up and tackle Spike. As he tried to throw them off, one of them raised their club and brought it down on the back of Spike’s head. The blow rendered the dragon unconscious and the dogs dragged his body way.

*****

Fluttershy floated down and landed by an old rickety airship that was resting on a platform in front of the CloudRunner Fortress. The rusty hull of the ship said Great Fox and the soft yellow Pegasus noticed that it bore the seal of the Kingdom of Equestria. Apprehensively, she crept on board the ship and headed to the bridge.

“Hello?” she cautiously said to the door. “Is somepony there?” She squealed in surprise and backed away as the door opened to reveal a gruff looking brown Unicorn wearing a red officer’s cap. He was surprised to see such a timid looking pony way out here on Krazoa Island. “Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to bother you, but I’m looking for my friends. One is a white Unicorn with a violet mane and a cutie mark of three light blue gems. And the other is a purple dragon with and green spines.”

The brown stallion blinked in surprise and was joined by two more ponies and a small dinosaur. The older Earth Pony wearing glasses and long coat finally said, “I’m sorry, but who are you?”

“Oh, um… I’m Fluttershy,” she nervously introduced herself. When she saw the yellow and purple young EarthWalker, she gasped and rushed up to him. “Oh, what an adorable little dinosaur!”

“Adorable?” Tricky repeated, blushing a bit.

“What’s your name?”

“I’m Tricky, Prince of the EarthWalker Tribe,” he proudly introduced himself.

“Hi Tricky, I’m Fluttershy. Have you seen my friends, Rarity and Spike?”

“Spike? You mean my pal, Spike the dragon? Yeah, I have.”

“Oh, really? That’s wonderful!” she happily cheered. “Where is he?”

“He’s in there,” a green Unicorn with a way too high pitched voice pointed to the fortress behind her.