• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 9,924 Views, 338 Comments

My Little Luna - Alcatraz



During a freak thunderstorm, a lightning bolt somehow brings a filly princess to Earth.

  • ...
35
 338
 9,924

Chapter 4: Stargazing

"Well, you see..." Shit, why did I have to go and mention Pinkie? I needed to act fast. Holding up my pinkie finger and continuing; " This is my pinkie finger, and whenever you want to make a very special promise to someone you get your pinkie finger and wrap it around their finger" as I go to demonstrate with my spare hand, "and that way you're sure to fulfill your promise!"

Luna keeps her eyes locked onto mine with the widest, open-mouth grin her cute filly face could muster. She raises her left hoof and looks it over with her big eyes. "How can I make a pinkie promise if all I have is hooves?" her ears droop against the side of her head, clearly saddened at the realization, lowering the hoof as she looks down and to the side.

Even though Luna is upset right now, she looks utterly adorable, and I can literally feel my heart skip a beat at the cuteness in front of me. I hook my finger under her chin and lift her head up to look into her moistening eyes. "Don't cry my darling, you still can, look!" I take my pinkie and wrap it around her small horn. "Here, I now swear I will never ever leave you; an official Pinkie Promise!"

Luna lets out a huge gasp of happiness, and suddenly I spy a little blue aura around her horn, followed by a spark and a small shock. The shock didn't hurt at all, it was the surprise of it that caught me off guard.

"Woah, what was that!?"

"I don't know! You touched my horn and It's like... like... I don't know how to say, but it felt really weird!" Luna exclaimed with a tilted head and curious look in her eyes as we study my hand intently.

"Ok, that was weird. But enough of that, how about some dinner then eh kiddo?" I speak up as I shake off my hand and use it to tousle her mane.

She giggle-squeaked. "That sounds wonderful!"

"What would you like?"

"I don't care, so long as it's yummy and you made it! OH! I wanna watch you cook it too!"

I giggle slightly. "Alright, sweetie."

I decided on tortilla wraps with home made salsa and BBQ sauce, vegetarian ones at that. I'd hate to think what would happen had Luna walked in on me at one point and discover me eating something she would have considered a friend back in Equestria. Luckily there's plenty of vegetables so I can cater to Luna's diet. I get out everything I'd need; the packet of soft tortilla wraps, tomatoes, onion, capsicum and other assorted veges, herbs and spices for the salsa. Normally I'd make a bolognese sauce with beef mince, and without that I need to find an alternative. The internet is a no-go since all of the stuff I had is getting shipped up here in two weeks by courier which includes my computer. Oh, did I mention there's no internet lines out in the wot-wots? But, I digress.

I rifle through the cupboards and find ready-to-use lentils, chickpeas and arborio rice. Perfect. I soak the three ingredients for a bit to make them a tad more plump while I empty some cans of sauce and a jar of my grandads home made relish into a pot and stir until simmering. While that's cooking and the lentils etc are steeping in the water I finely dice up some celery, cucumber, tomato, red onion and capsicum with a single red chilli and very lightly coat in oil.

Next, the lentils, rice and chickpeas get added to the thickening tomato broth and plump it up exactly like a meat sauce should look. Luna is constantly, and literally, hovering over my shoulder using the tiny wings to keep herself afloat like a hummingbird, all the while I'm working, Luna has her tounge hanging out of her mouth like a hungry little puppy. Putting out two of the wraps on two plates I spoon some of the vegetarian mix on the bread and add some shredded lettuce, carrot and white onion topped with the salsa, squirting some of my previously made BBQ sauce on everything and finally wrapping it up in a small bit of tinfoil to hold everything together as I slide Luna's plate to her while I finish my own. She picks up the wrap with her magic and takes a small bite.

Remember how in cartoons when a character eats something really good and the camera zooms in on their eyes as their pupils envelop their whole eyes? Minus the camera zoom, the real life thing is really cool. Chewing her mouthful and swallowing she bounds around the room with the food in her magical grasp. "Ohmygoshitsdelicioussoyummythankyouthankyou!!!!" she exclaims, throwing herself around my neck into a hug using her.

The rest of the evening goes by rather quietly, Luna offers to clean up and does so using her magic. I wish I could use magic, it makes cleaning up SO much easier! That being said, I could out-perform all the people in the cafe and restaurant by far.

Since it's a quiet night outside we opt to lay on the still-warm concrete driveway by the front door and look up at the stars. I grab a book on astrology and show Luna some of the many constellations. "Do you see the three stars in a row with the other four stars in a rectangle around them? That's Orion, and this is his sword." I say motioning to the curved row of stars going away from the rest of the constellation. Luna sits on my chest as I have the book open to some constellations, making the explanation of where the stars are in the sky in reference to the book Luna seems awe-struck by the night sky.

"Here's another one. Do you see those four stars making kind of a "t" shape?" I show with a gesture of my fingers. "Yeah." "Well, that's called the Southern Cross, and the two stars off to the right of the cross? If you draw an imaginary line down the centre of the Southern Cross, and another imaginary line between the two stars on the right with a line coming straight down between them, eventually these lines will meet and that will always be south. If you ever get lost..." I had to take a pause at saying that. "If you ever get lost and want to come home, and you may not know where to go, the stars will always shine, lighting the way back to me. Just remember that."

"I will, but you'll never leave me, will you?" I couldn't argue with that. "Hey dad, where do the stars come from?"

I giggled a little and had an idea, beginning what will be a faux explanation. "Someone once told me that the stars are the great kings of the past looking down on us." Luna turns her head to look down at me. "Really!? That's so awesome!" Ok, that didn't illicit the response I was looking for so I gave the real explanation. "The stars are great big balls of burning gas billions and billions of kilometers away." Ok, that was better. Luna curls up on my chest to lay down with her cute eyes looking at me. I love her eyes. But... something about them bothered me. I had no idea what, why, or how, for now I pushed those thoughts to the back of my mind. But, for some reason, they seemed all too familiar...

"Do you like the night, or day better?" She asks.

"I've always looked up into the night sky, and just marveled at how amazing and beautiful it is. So many little lights, and each one has it's own story. Not like the day, no. One great big ball of gas that burns your eyes out for looking into it too long? Give me the moon any night of the week. There's always so much more to learn about what's out there"

With that, Luna slowly closes her eyes drifting off into the land of dreams. Bugger. She's sitting on my chest and I'm laying down. "Hey, Luna? I can't get up, could you please hop off me so I can tuck you into bed?" Nope, she's fast asleep. I resort to sliding my hands under her belly and gently picking her up, taking the sleeping bundle into the house and tucking her into the bed while I get into the other side. Somehow, Luna always knows when she's not in my bed. It's bewildering, one of those mysteries of the universe. Amongst other things...

Author's Note:

Sorry I went off on a tangent with the cooking, I love to cook :D

Anyway here's the recipies like I promised.

BBQ Sauce
Equal portions tomato sauce and malt vinegar. (I use a 500 gram can of tomato sauce and wash it out with the vinegar to get all the sauce.)
1 white onion
Tablespoon Nutmeg
Tablespoon Cinnamon
Salt & Pepper
Garlic

Slice or dice the onion into a pot with some oil. You want to juice the onion, not cook it.
Add tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, s&p, nutmeg and cinnamon and simmer for up to thirty minutes.
You want a slightly thick consistency, but not too thick. After it has reduced about two-thirds take off the heat and cool completely. Strain through a colinder or sieve then bottle. No refrigeration needed.
Keeps for about a month.

Salsa Recipe
Finely dice: one tomato, one red and white onion, yellow capsicum, stick of celery, and a red chilli into a large bowl
Drizzle with oil to coat, I repeat, TO COAT!! Don't drown it. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Will keep for about two weeks, and is a fantastic garnish to fish!