• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 9,924 Views, 338 Comments

My Little Luna - Alcatraz



During a freak thunderstorm, a lightning bolt somehow brings a filly princess to Earth.

  • ...
35
 338
 9,924

Chapter 3: News and an Unexpected Development

I had just come back from doing the weeks shopping. Pulling into the driveway I spy Luna sitting underneath the tree, with her hooves over her head holding her ears down.

"What's the matter?"

"The noise, it won't stop!" She began, sobbing. "Not long after you left, the phone thing started making awful noises!"

I reach down and scoop her up, giving a little kiss on her forehead. "It's OK sweetie, I'm here now."

I go inside with Luna but there's no phone ringing. "Didn't you say it wa-" Almost immediately the phone rang, cutting me off. Apprehensively I answer it. Must be an important call if someone was constantly calling for the last hour while I was out. I gotta get that thing disconnected and start using my mobile more regularly.

"Hello? Who is this? Sorry, I was out for a while."

"It's fine" Began the voice.

Luna just sat on the floor looking up at me on the phone. All of a sudden I scream. "WHAT!?" She jumps up in fright at my shout and bolts out of the room faster than Rainbow Dash. I reach out to stop her but no words escaped my throat, just a barely audible squeak. Disbelief had me frozen in place, unable to move because of the shock of the news I had just received. The phone slides out of my hand, smashing on the floor as I fall heavily against the wall behind me, sliding down the wall until I'm curled up in a ball, profusely crying.

I couldn't hear anything until a little bundle cuddled up to me, holding me in her hooves. Sitting up properly I give Luna a proper hug.

"Whats wrong?"

Saying nothing for several minutes, just hugging the filly trying to calm myself down enough that I can explain what happened. Taking a few deep breaths to relax my heart I began.

"My family was driving up here to see me with my grandparents, when they got onto the motorway that's next to the logging distribution site next to the railway, one of the cranes -" I stopped, realizing that she didn't know what a crane was, so I quickly explained that they were basically a giant hand that picks up things that we cant carry. Luna nodded and understood. "One of the cranes had a malfunction and it didn't stop turning, smashing its load into the braces holding the logs from rolling on the road. Somehow they broke right off and rolled out onto the motorway down the hill, crushing some of the cars that were driving along ."

Luna must've known what I meant, I hear take a highly audible gasp then squeeze me the tightest she possibly could. The next thirty minutes was spent holding each other in silence, apart from the sobs echoing through the kitchen it was utter silence.

The next few weeks was spent in in utter despair. If I didn't have Luna I would have probably gone insane from the depression I was feeling at the time. It was difficult trying to figure out how to go back home for the funeral and hide Luna, or could I just leave her here? It'll only be overnight. Eventually I opted for the latter and explained that I had to go back home for the funeral, but I was only going to be gone overnight and I'd be back the following evening. So I left her with an ample supply of fruit, vegetables, water, and asked if she could possibly try to keep out of trouble while I was gone.

I had to catch the train down, I did have more family, but nobody could really drive me; they were all already busy making the funeral arrangements. I decided to opt out of doing that sort of thing, I never wanted to nor should I bury my own parents and every time it was bought to mind I just felt like breaking down in tears. Everything went smoothly; the funeral was had, followed by the repast where everyone caught up, had some drinks and reminisced about past events. I'm no good at social gatherings, so I just stick around the most familiar people I know and just idly sip drinks for the next few hours, then someone offered me a ride to the station so I could catch the train back to my grandparents house.

I got a few things in the wills from both parents and grandparents. My mother got left the house and land in my grandparents will (to do with as she pleased), but since she died it got passed onto the next in line; me. So I don't need to worry about housing or staying anywhere.

My mum left me her life insurance. Technically it was supposed to go to making the funeral arrangements, which it did, then the rest was to go to my dad. But... yeah...

In the end after funeral expenses, I got a tidy $150,000. Me being me, I'm Mr long-arms-shallow-pockets, so I would need to figure out a budget so I'm not wasting the money. I chose to invest in an extremely cheap, but rather small, $110,000, two bedroom flat in town which I rented out for $200 a week, which is $100 below the norm, and it got snatched up fast. The occupants were grateful to have such a cheap place to live; it was a couple and their two kids, saying that due to the lack of jobs in such a rural area substantial amounts of money was hard to come by not to mention cheap places to live.

Then there was that fated call to my boss explaining what happened. In the end I decided to quit and live on the farm, and asked if he could send me the rest of the holiday pay I was owed as severance, which was around $3500.

Time to look for a new job.

Since I worked in a cafe, I decided to go around all the local cafe's restaurants and asking if there's any positions available. Someone was offering 20 hours a week; mid morning to late afternoon cheffing, and I scored another job 3 nights a week doing dishes in a small restaurant. Working 35 hours a week was good for my pocket and was doubly helpful to get my mind of off the transpired events, then I had the weekend off to spend with Luna, which is good.

Then I had to sort out the farm. I put an ad in the local paper asking for someone to tend the crops, the few chickens and generally keep everything tidy while I was busy during the week. The only other problem was Luna; what was she to do while I was working? So we discussed this together.

"Since I have to go and work most of the time during the week, I won't be here as often. Luna, how do you think you'll be if I left you alone for a while during the day?"

"But it would get boring, and I will miss you!" She clamped around my middle, so I put an arm over her.

"Now now, I'll still be here to take care of you during the morning and afternoons; we can still have dinner together and play games though!" She looked up at me with an excited grin. "It's just for a few hours during the day. I'll always cook you breakfast and lunch for when I'm not here, OK cutie?" Luna giggled at the name and gave me a nuzzle and I hugged her closely. "Thank you, daddy."

My heart skipped a beat. I was overcome with pride at being good enough for her to call me her dad. I started crying again. "What's wrong daddy, why are you crying?" Luna stood back on the couch we were sitting to look at me. "I'm not crying, it's liquid pride. I'm so happy that you would think of me like a father."

"Promise you won't ever leave me, ok, daddy? Especially like yours did." Ouch. That stung a bit. She's still little, and didn't quite understand the extent of what she said, but I let it slide and embraced her for yet another hug. Luna's hugs always feel the best. Nothing compares to hugging a small, blue fluffy bundle of joy. "Don't worry, I Pinkie Promise. And you know what they say: nobody breaks a Pinkie Promise or she'll come and get you!" I exclaimed as I playfully ticked her.

"Hey dad", began Luna.

"Yes, sweetie?"

"Who is Pinkie and why does she make promises?"

My gut drops like the Titanic. Oh, shit.

Author's Note:

This was a difficult and delicate chapter to write. After failing to come up with a specific idea on how to write it, I just did wrote whatever came to me. Hope it doesn't disappoint.