• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 8,230 Views, 163 Comments

Ponies on Ponies - Ravenmane



When science goes awry, sometimes Pinkie's fourth wall breaking skills break in their own ways...

  • ...
27
 163
 8,230

24 - Summer in Ponyville - Part 2

“Hey Rainbow Dash,” called somepony from the other side of her front door, “come fly with me. I wanna see what you’ve got; see if you’re Wonderbolts material.” Spitfire had been on her own for a few days now, always trying the same thing. “Look, if you’re not coming outta there then maybe there isn’t a place for you on my team.”

She’s just trying to get you out, the daredevil reminded herself. I’m such a wreck, I can’t let anypony see me right now.

Rainbow Dash looked over to her wall where a calendar rested comfortably, every day since her return home had been crossed off. “Two months,” she grumbled to herself as she looked over to a wall mirror. “I look terrible,” she added with a chuckle. Everything from her red eyes to her ruffled feathers and even her horribly unkempt coat told her everything that transpired during this time.

~~~~~

“Tank, I’m home,” she called through her house when she first arrived back. The tortoise had given her a warm, albeit slow, smile once he saw it was really her. “Sorry I’ve been gone so long big guy, but you’re never gonna believe what happened to me.” She regaled her pet with the tales of her trip to Earth and Tank was a very good listener. It was only a matter of time however, before she would hit the sour note of her stories: leaving behind someone she held dear.

~~~~~

“Dashie,” called a new voice, “he’d want you to be happy.”

Dash let the sentence rumble around in her self-imposed exile. She nervously poked her head out a window and looked down towards her front door. “Pinkie Pie,” she yelled, “I know that. I just need to clean up around here!”

Much like Spitfire, Pinkie had been trying to pry her friend out of her house for weeks. Under normal circumstances, this would be child’s play for Pinkie, but the fact that she was messing with a cloud house made her usual techniques impossible. “Well, you need to do more than that,” called the party pony from the hot air balloon. “Twilight’s coming back home today and her letter says she needs you to do a few things when she gets here.”

Rainbow Dash mentally growled at the sound of her absent rival’s name, but knew Twilight wouldn’t ask unless she really needed it. “Lemmie get cleaned up and I’ll come down.”

*****

“Easy as that,” Spitfire asked the party pony after Rainbow vanished from her perch above them.

“Dashie won’t leave a friend hanging. Also… um… thanks for trying all this time.”

“I won’t lie to you, Rainbow Dash has the skills to be a Wonderbolt, but if she acts like this a lot she’s got no place with us.”

“It’s really complicated, but the short version is she had to say good bye to somepony she really liked when she came back to Ponyville. We all haven’t seen him since we got home and it’s hit her and Twilight hard.”

“So she’s just been an emotional wreck right?”

“When I sent my letters to Rapidfire, I thought that was one of the best ways to get her out of her house.”

“You mean me and my team right?”

“Yup, if he clocks in as most important to her, then you guys are definitely just below him.”

“So what was he like?”

“I’ll tell you on the way down ‘kay?”

“Deal,” the duo left Rainbow Dash to look presentable while Pinkie Pie told Spitfire everything she was willing to say regarding Alex. She made sure to hold off on that he wasn’t a pony to spare the Wonderbolt captain a few extra questions.

“Sounds like she gave up quite the catch,” Spitfire said as she touched down on the ground.

“I guess so, but I mean I wasn’t really attracted to him like she was. He was a good friend, kinda like family sometimes too.”

“I know a little about guys being like family Pinkie Pie. Soarin’s like family to me. Like some obnoxious little brother, but family anyways.”

*****

Rainbow’s going to love my plan, thought Twilight as she did a few last minute calculations on the train ride home. As Ponyville started to come into view, Twilight mentally prepared to bark orders at Rainbow Dash. This plan was going to be perfect. She could even feel the song building in her throat. The worst part was, she wanted to sing it since she woke up…