• Published 7th Oct 2013
  • 4,005 Views, 122 Comments

Friendship: Reanimation - ImaginaryCatnip



A failed experiment and the terrible memories that plague Spike upon his return from void. Join him as he journeys alongside the six mares to save all of equestria. Spilight story!

  • ...
16
 122
 4,005

Chapter 14: The Truth will set you Free, or will It?

Editor’s Note: I’ll just try to keep this short, knowing that many of you will skip over it. Neizd and I have partnered up for his main story, which right now is Friendship: Reanimation. Both of us are very sorry about the abnormally long wait for this chapter, but rest assured, it won’t be happening often. I’ve yet to edit the first few chapters, but once I get around to it, you can go ahead and give them a read, or not; there won’t be any plot changes. I’ll get around to editing his other series later, as we both are very busy people (please don’t contact me if you want something edited, I’m way too busy to be editing multiple people’s works).

Since I am only human, if you pick out any mistakes, please tell us in the comments, so that the next person can read something even better.

That’s all I have to say, so enjoy!
Note: The absence of indents is intentional, in case you’re wondering.

Author's Note: Wanted to add something but after all you waiting I'll just write this: Enjoy, Rate and Review!

***The Sky***

High above the vast sands of the San Palomino Desert, a colossal shape soared slowly through the darkening sky,one so enormous, the local birds flew for cover as the shape drifted by. The white material which was used to create the big balloon burst through clouds, obliterating them into specks of condensation. Normally in deserts, nights were chilling, but it didn’t matter for the heroes who currentlyslept comfortably inside the main cabin of the blimp, or at least most were.

Peering through one of the many windows, Spike eyed the ground below—the unchanging landscape frustrated him with its emptiness and lack of anything which would let him focus his vision on. Normally, the dragon would be sleeping peacefully by now,but his recent dreams had begun to tire him out. Every single time he closed his eyes, he could feel his dreams crawling into his mind, like worms; terrible images flowed beside his eyes—nightmares filled with pain and screams of the past or mortifying visions of the future. It all stressed him greatly.

Will they plague me for the rest of my days?–he mused to himself as he observed his warm breath as it left a mark on the glass surface.

Deep in thought, he felt something touch his shoulder gently. Startled, Spike whirledaround to meet none other than the alabaster unicorn, genuine concern shining clearly in her eyes.

“I’m sorry for scaring you dear. Are you alright?” she questioned, surprising the dragon. It was rare for the milk-colored mare to show this kind of affection to him, especially when others were nearby.

Wasting her beauty sleep to help a friend? Thathad happened before, but it still felt a little off.– he thought to himself as he once again turned his spiked green head to look through the window, the same boorish landscape welcoming him.

“Couldn’t sleep, that’s all,” he stated, simply trying to let her know that everything was under control—an obvious lie but he didn’t want to worry her.

“I see…then I’m going back to sleep but remember, if you need something you, can always talk to me…” she said,“…about anything Spikey-Wikey.”She gave him a small hug from behind before returning to her bunk, leaving Spike frozen in place.

What the…!– he tried to think but the whole scene left him speechless. He wanted to turn around and question her odd behavior but for some reason he just couldn’t do it. Spike heard her shifting around behind him, as she laid back in one of many beds that were in this chamber and upon not hearing more from her, he relaxed visibly.

Unbeknownst to both of them, a pair of purple eyes watched everything that had transpired, anger barely contained as she tried very hard not to make a scene.As soon as she took notice of Rarity falling asleep again, she moved from under her sheets and went to sit close to Spike without uttering any words. While she might have been calm on the outside, inside she was burning with frustration.

Who does she thinks she is? First she criticizes my gift from him and now she hugs him behind my back!– screamed her thoughts, as she intently looked at the landscape before her.–Am I jealous because I’m not brave enough to do those simple things to Spike that she does?–she questioned in her own mind, remembering the time when Rarity hugged Spike after he came back from the gate in Cloudsdale. For Rarity, hugs came so easily…Twilight really envied her. Feeling a little sting on her foreleg, she noticed the purple dragon looking intently at her.

It had takenquite some time for Spike to finally get Twilight out of her trance, while he wondered about what she could be thinking about so intently that even poking her with his claw didn’t help, at least not right away.

“You okay?” he asked, seeing the deep frown which adorned her muzzle, but she only laughed and looked at him.

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking you this?”

Spike had to agree with a smile that she had a point. Still, he wouldn’t tell anypony about his dreams because he had already decided that he wouldn’t worry others more than necessary. –After all,they are only some bad dreams, reality is out here and is no better.

“I know it’s just–” he started, when he noticed something odd happening. The ground looked closer, the horizon higher—they were losing altitude. Panicking, but keeping his head cool enough, he turned towards his alicorn friend. “We’re falling!” he said frantically, alarming the mare and waking the up others, save for Pinkie who was a heavy sleeper. Panic in her amethyst eyes, Twilight looked through the window for herself. The earth below them moved closer, and closer. Indeed, they were plunging, and quite rapidly!

“What are ya’ll yelling ‘bout…” sleepily mumbled Applejack while rubbing her eyes. Twilight, being the experienced leader she was quickly shook her by her shoulders, waking her completely.

“Wake up everypony, pack and meet us in the control room!” she yelled and galloped outside with Spike following closely behind her.–What in all of Equestria is going on!–she thought.

Opening the doors to control room, she found out that the problem was…there was nopony at the wheel and everything was damaged as if aged by many years. The control panel had been eaten by rust and the wooden wheel was rotten.

Joining her, Spike saw everything for himself and snarled loudly, while coming closer to examine the damage. After no longer than a few seconds he formeda diagnosis, “It’s no use, totally busted. We need to get out of here and NOW!” As soon as he finished, he noticed that the other mares were already present, most of their belongings with them. Before any of them could issue questions, Twilight’s horn began to glow as she prepared for something really risky…a teleportation spell while moving at high velocity.

“Hang on, it won’t be pleasant!” she commanded and indeed, they soon vanished in a flash of pink light, leaving the blimp to fall without them, crashing to the ground with a large explosion. Reappearing outside on the sand, they were quickly chilled by the frigid desert air but none of them complained. The smoldering remains of their blimp lay before their eyes, leaving them speechless as they were there mere seconds ago.

“Now, can anypony tell me how THIS happened?” asked an irritated Rainbow Dash, which got nods from other mares as they all looked expectantly to Twilight and Spike to explain…unfortunately, the purple duo didn’t actually know much themselves but decided to offer anexplanation nonetheless.

“Well, Spike and I woke up in the middle of the night and suddenly Spike realized that the blimp was falling rapidly…”

“What about those three pegasi?” kindly asked Fluttershy, her worry that there might be victims replacing the shock of possible catastrophe. True enough, her question got everypony else curious and worried, however Spike was there to offer up a logical theory.

“Well…our chamber was on the far back side and we didn’t see anypony when we ran to the control room up front…”

“Do you think they savo-saco–sa…you know, they did the thing that would stop us?!” asked Pinkie, as her face changed into suspicious one, a detective hat materializing on her head as she looked around searching for clues. To this, Twilight felt the need to answer her question,and correct her of course.

“Sabotaged us Pinkie…and I think we can’t exclude this possibility. We should think about it because it was no accident.” Even though she said that, she began to wonder, –Why would anypony try to stop us? This makes no sense unless...

Her train of thought however, was broken by Rarity’s voice, which at this time seemed to be highly irritating to her.

“That’s fine and all but aren’t we forgetting about something? We are in the middle of nowhere and this cold can get us all terribly ill. Not to mention we now have to WALK,” complained the white mare, especially accenting the last word, as she took out some cosmetics from her saddlebag…probably something that would protect her delicate looks.

“We need to scout the area. Rainbow, could you…” began Twilight, but the blue pegasus was already up in the sky, flying in circles which grew bigger and bigger. Being the self-proclaimed fastest flyer in all of Equestria, she didn’t let her friends to wait for long and quickly descendedagain.

“We’re lucky, it looks like there is a small cottage to the east and it has a wagon. I saw lights on, so it’s even better!” replied the mare, which made others sighin relief, it wasmuch better than wandering in this cold.

“Okay everypony, after me!” said Twilight. She gallopedoff, leaving the others in close pursuit. Their speed wasn’t necessary but the icy air motivated them enough. It didn’t take long before they stood near the wooden structure. The place didn’t look too fancy, but it sure was warm and cozy—everything they needed. Nearing the structure, the doors burst open and two muscular stallions exited to face them, while pointing sharp-looking pitchforks in their direction.

“I don’t know who you are, nor do I care! Leave my land!” angrily yelled the older one, while the younger only glared angrily at the six mares and Spike. Still, they couldn’t simply back off and being polite as always, Twilight decided that a diplomatic approach would be best. After all, the seven of them were harmless.

“Greetings settlers of Appleloosa. We mean you no harm, we’re on our way to Appleloosa and…” As soon as she took one, tiny step forward, an action which clearly frightened the already anxious inhabitants of the cottage. The older stallion reacted on impulse and the sharp pitchfork launched in her direction so quickly she didn’t had time to react. Purple eyes shrinking, she watched it hurtle towards her as if in slow motion, various thoughts moving through her head. It would have stabbed her straight in her muzzle, if it wasn’t for Spike and his quick reactions which helped him to catch the weapon in his hand. Burning with fury, his emerald eyes stared daggers into the one who dared to attack Twilight. As he looked at the stunned older stallion,his grip on the other end of the thrown pitchfork tightened, crushing the wooden staff, snapping the weapon in two.

“Fall back or I will shove that pitchfork up your–” Spike began, but another voice cut him off.

“Daddy!” yelled a young filly as she trotted between her father and the big dragon, her young heart not knowing fear, fueled only by her desire to protect the ones most important to her. “Leave my daddy alone!” she shouted and upon seeing the whole act, the old stallion quickly let go of his weapon and grabbed the young mare while falling back in fear.

“Please, don’t hurt us…” he squeaked while retreating with imperceptibly small steps, the younger stallion coming to his side, worry in his eyes.

Overcoming her shock of nearly being stabbed, Twilight decided once again to try to reason with them, for they were obviously frightened.

“Spike come back…we’re sorry for disturbing you…” To her words, the inhabitants of small cottage relaxed visibly, but remained suspicious enough not to let their guard down. “…we have come from Ponyville by order of Princess Celestia to see–”

Just then, the young filly noticed her wings and quickly put two and two together. “Daddy look! It’s Princess Twilight Sparkle!” she shouted loudly, which made the older stallion realize the mistake he made of not recognizing the mare that one year ago was the center of all news in Equestria.

“By Equestria, you’re right! Lower that pitchfork you fool!” he hit the younger stallion on the head, while panicking. “Pardon my outburst princess, we thought you were one of those things…I didn’t mean to attack you, please, forgive me,” he commented while averting his gaze nervously, obviously frightened of what would happen to him and his family if the dragon hadn’t stopped him. Twilight was glad that it was dark, because of the blush that crept up on her face…she still wasn’t used to being publicly recognized like this, especially by country ponies who overestimated her status. She might have become a princess, but she was still too young to have her own kingdom to rule and there was still much that she needed to learn.

“N-none taken, you were just being careful and protecting your family,” kindly offered Twilight, glad that her status at least helped this time. Still, the thing she heard made her furrow eyebrows, and not only her.

“Ya said ‘those things’? What in tarnation did ya mean?” asked Applejack, with a hint of a frantic undertone in her voice for her family was in Appleloosa and they could be hurt.

“Can we at least continue this talk somewhere warmer? It’s freezing out here!” complained Rarity, making everypony realize that indeed it was quite cold outside.

“You folks are welcome to stay in my house…that’s the least I can do to apologize for my outburst…and no doubt you have questions too, especially if Princess Celestia sent you,” said the stallion as he led them inside his cozy house,and were they glad to finally get inside as warmth from a nearby fireplace enveloped them.

***Canterlot Castle***

Inside the throne room stood a tall white mare, her beautiful mane flowing slowly, moved by the gentlest of winds as she eyed the objects before her. The focus stones were being gathered, but while her heart was glad that everything was going well, the thought of using others to do her job was unnerving. The Elements of Harmony and Spike were risking their lives and she was what? Sitting in here and doing nothing?Princess Celestia rarely showed this certain negative emotion, since after thousands of years, she was capable of hiding almost everything behind her gentle smile, her royal façade. Still, there were times that even she failed to remain calm. –The focus stones didn’t offer any further knowledge about their origins and purpose.

One would think that being a goddess, she would know the answer instantly, but it was not so in this case. Gates were connected to the Void, a powerthat nothing could rival but the very force of nature itself.

Sighing heavily, she used a flick of her magic to tilt the glass levitating before her to sip some wine…she rarely drank it because of its sour taste but this time she needed it to calm herself down. She was about to continue with a plan to help her student when a scroll flashed into existence before her. Looking curiously at it, she opened the parchment expecting to find another letter of complaint because Luna and Discord were ‘having fun.’ Sadly, the idea of them befriending each other had quickly turned out to be a hoofful. She was actually ready to throw the parchment but when her eyes landed on the name of sender, her spirits lifted a little and she scanned the letter with utmost care.

Dear Princess Celestia.

Since Twilight wrote to you from Vanhoover, I have come to realize that you might be worrying about our journey and seeing as some time has passed,I took it upon myself to write this letter.

As you might know, we travelled through Los Pegasus before venturing straight to Appleloosa (after getting some rest, especially for Twilight). Applejack managed to secure our next form of transport which turned out to be a real blimp! Everypony sure was excited about the trip and we even got ahead of schedule thanks to that.

However, not everything turned to be as perfect as we thought because our blimp was sabotaged along the way. Don’t worry, we’re safe and sound and currently staying with locals. We have learned a lot of interesting things from them which I believe might help you with your research.

Firstly, we’ve learned that Appleloosa is currently in uproar…the locals don’t know how it all started, but everypony suddenly turned violent and theywill attack anypony who comes close to them. The buffalo chief and his people are trying to keep them at bay with force but we’ve heard that they are slowly beginning to tire.

Twilight theorized that it all has something to do with the gates becoming stronger, which means we have no more time to waste. Tomorrow,first thing in the morning, we’ll begin our journey and I can only pray that nothing goes wrong this time. Still, we will be on our guard and I will personally make sure that no harm comes our way so you can sleep peacefully.

I promise to write to you after the next stone is out of its gate andAppleloosa is restored back to normal…so please once again, don’t worry too much.

Yours truly,

Spike

P.S. I attached a copy of certain photo I believe you will find amusing!

As she rolled the parchment, Princess Celestia smiled softly. Spike had really turned out to be a good dragon, who thought of everypony, even her.

– What strange times when mortals worry about their gods…–

Laughing a little, she unrolled the second scroll, which she assumed was the photo Spike was talking about. Taking a sip of wine, she certainly didn’t expect to see what it showed, so all that she drank quickly left her mouth as her laughter echoed around the room…the photo showed Twilight and Spike on the rollercoaster.

***Outskirtsof Appleloosa – Early morning***

“How long until we get there?” asked Rarity, seated comfortably between Twilight, who stared daggers into her from time to time whenever the unicorn opened her mouth; and Spike, who was very uncomfortable because of her proximity, especially after what happened yesterday. The wagon pulled slowly by Applejack and Rainbow Dash continued forward, nothing hindering it. The kind locals they met yesterday gave it to them and they took turns in pulling it so they could travel without a moment of rest…and they really were in a hurry as the situation seemed dire from what they heard.

“Hopefully not much longer,” replied Twilight, annoyed beyond belief but trying to keep it to herself. However, the tone of her voice wasn’t missed by both Pinkie and Fluttershy who exchanged worried glances with each other. Unknown to the others,the mares had a long talk yesterday and concluded that there was indeed something growing between their two friends. The situation before them looked like a bomb that could explode at any time.

“Um…so how do we get inside?” asked the yellow pegasus, trying to change the subject. It seemed to work, at least for Spike and Rarity.

“We can fly inside…or create a diversion. The worst part is that we don’t know who this gate will permit entry.” Upon hearing Spike’s last sentence, Twilight cringed visibly, picturing the worst case scenario of Rarity going inside with him…she knew she was overreacting and was simply jealous, but she couldn’t help herself because the white mare was so clingy to her Spike, especially yesterday.

“We need to stay together. Maybe this gate will be different and more of us will be able to come inside. It might…” commented the lavender alicorn but was interrupted upon the wagon stopping suddenly, making her collide into the white mare and dragon as the trio landed on top of each other with a loud thud.

“Hey why did we stop?” asked Pinkie, getting off ofpoor Fluttershy, who landed under her. Helping the mare up, she looked ahead and her voice ran way…thankfully both Applejack and Rainbow Dash were there to comment for her.

“Uh…everypony–” began the earth pony with a blonde mane.

“We have trouble and they’re coming this way!” shouted Rainbow, and indeed, trouble was coming.

As everypony now looked ahead, three pillars of sand rose slowly from the earth before their wagon, and it didn’t take long before they began to morph.A single black eyeball made out of black crystals formed and turned to look at them. Screeching, the things started to shift and soon they turned into what seemed to be three familiar pegasi, the owners of the blimp, but instead of faces they had a large black jewel and were made out of sand. As the black orbs glowed, Twilight’s eyes widened in fear for she could feel magic building inside them.

“Scatter!” she yelled and with that, she ducked out of the wagon to the left side with others following her example, as a beam of shadow stuck the spot where she was mere seconds ago, making it wither and turn to ash.

“Those things are dangerous!” yelled Rarity, a rather obvious remark, still shocked at what had transpired before her eyes, but thankfully, the rest of her friends managed to overcome their initial shock just in time. Spike, who experienced a lot of in recent years was the first to shake the fear as he rushed forward, his bigger body colliding with one of the monsters, tackling it to the ground. He wanted to smash it using sheer force but found out that he underestimated his enemy. It tossed him off and began to mercilessly attack him, while at the same time Spike’s attacks on its body didn’t seem to have any effects.

As two more monsters prepared to lunge at him, one of them was quickly enveloped in a lasso and yanked off its solid sand hooves with Rainbow Dash flying up and delivering a kick right into the sand pegasus’ abdomen. The last monster was stopped by Twilight’s magic, who shot at it with a telekinetic burst, sending the monster flying back. However, both monsters quickly got up and began to close in on them.

“They are unfazed by our attacks!” yelled Twilight as she nimbly dodged to the side of another beam which was shot from the crystal black eye, missing her by mere centimeters.

“They must have a weak point!” shouted back Spike as he smashed one of his claws into the fake pegasus’ leg, ripping it off…however his victory was short-lived as his foe regenerated right away and lunged at him. Spike had little time to react, as a strong hoof connected with his muzzle, sending him to the ground. Looking up, he saw the monster looming over him, preparing itself to deliver another blow when a streak of yellow flew towards it and collided with the black jewel, which cracked a little.

“Way to go Fluttershy!” he complimented, shocked that the kind mare could find enough courage to attack violently like this. Still, he often forgot how strong she could bewhen somepony was in need. Looking at his enemy, he noticed that it roared in obvious pain, while its forelegs were clutching the black jewel. Connecting two and two, he finally got it but it was Pinkie’s voice that cut through the air.

“Attack that black shiny thing!” she yelled loudly, and both Rainbow Dash and Applejack didn’t waste any time as they repeated their combination with Applejack’s lasso and Rainbow’s flying skills, this time aiming for the head and finally crushing one of those stones, making their enemy turn into sand again.

Spike also didn’t waste time and quickly sent a green fireball at his still roaring enemy, finishing the job with victory plastered on his muzzle. Up in the sky, the lavender alicorn was however struggling to keep her foe off her…it was too close and she couldn’t concentrate on her magic as it relentlessly assaulted her time after time, adrenaline pumping through her blood. A light blue colored beam whizzed past her and hit the monster straight in the neck, missing the stone by mere inches but that was enough for Twilight to get another clear shot.

“Get…off me!” she practically yelled, releasing a burst of magic so thickly concentrated that it shoot like an arrow through the black stone, shattering it completely. Sighing tiredly, she landed near the white mare who obviously helped her during her struggle, a grateful look in her eyes. “Thank you Rarity…” she began but was cut short by the smiling mare.

“Don’t mention it, after all, what would Spike say if anything happened to you?” as soon as those words reached her ears, Twilight felt a vein pop up on her forehead.–That snobby little…–she began to think as she prepared to reply but what happened next, stopped her.

“That was a good shot Rarity, I didn’t know you could fight like that!” said Spike, amazed by her skills, while at the same time happy inside that Twilight was okay because the white mare helped. He owed her big time for this that much he knew.

“Oh, don’t mention it darling, a lady must know how to defend herself, doesn’t she?” she joked and smiled widely, making her way past the dragon to look at the wagon, which was only a little grazed. Thankfully,her baggage was unscathed and it still housed her many precious cosmetics…and nothing calmed her like applying them to herself after a stressful situation.

Watching that exchange, Twilight trembled, fuming with anger and was sure that if it continued a little longer and she would burst into flames, she knew that much.

Who does she think she is?!– her mind screamed as she stared blankly, entranced by her thoughts.Unbeknownst to her, Spike soon came closer and put his claw on her coat, seeing as she stood like frozen.

“You okay Twi?” he asked, concern clear in his voice but it only added salt to the injury.

“Yes I was SAVED thanks to Rarity,” she replied harshly, making the dragon flinch and look confusedly at her, as she stormed past him, not bothering to even look at him.

What’s wrong with her?– thought Spike, unable to grasp what was happening with Twilight but finally concluded that it must have been something minor, like her not foreseeing the possible ambush and putting everypony in danger.

***???***

“WHAT IS THIS?!” roared the black creature as it stood tall, its body shaking, mocking tone no longer present, replaced by that of absolute fury.Its eyes shifted, angry look completely wiped out, replaced by a smiling one.

“I seriously have no idea…” replied the third voice, as calmly as possible but the mocking one wasn’t stupid and saw the blatant lie.

“You know what I mean…you send those servants. Why are you destroying my game?” it demanded and the third one lost its smile, as its voice became very dry and cold.

“Know your place. I am higher in the hierarchy than you, I decide what happens now and if I wish it so, I will banish you…there are many that will replace you anyway!” it snarled loudly, threatening to tear at its own throat with the very gesture.

Calming significantly, the mocking one trembled, realizing that it had crossed a line.

“I…understand. But why now? Others don’t even bother with this, even the first one returned to slumber…why do YOU care about how everything happens?” it asked, while playing with the pawns between its newly formed claws…its form was becoming clearer and clearer.

“It is the will of the void, to return what went missing and I grew tired of this, you are too soft on them. Still, I didn’t expect them to come unharmed out of that attack…no matter. Soon, they will enter the gate and they will find that it won’t be as easy as the last one,” the creature laughed out loud, itsnow golden eyes with slits in them closing in delight at the very thought of what would happen.

Still, the mocking voice couldn’t help but ask, “What did you do?”

Smiling wider, while its jaw made the sound of bones breaking, the lying voice replied with a faint whisper,“Improved what you couldn’t. Now stop bothering me and watch as it all ends.”

The creature’s presence went away, leaving only the mocking one as it eyed the screen which showed him the purple alicorn…and seeing her face, it smiled a cruel smile, because its game still seemed to be on, or at least some parts of it.

***Outskirts of Appleloosa – Early afternoon***

As the wooden wheels creaked loudly with every shift of weight, Spike and Applejack looked ahead with determination…it was now their turn to pull the wagon and because of their combined strength, they didn’t have much of a problem. Their friends slept calmly, seeing as the fight left them a little drained, especially after adrenaline left. It didn’t take long for both the earth mare and Spike to engage in a friendly banter.

“Ah missed this place…wonder how Bloomberg is…ah miss the big boy so much…” said Applejack which made Spike smile widely. He remembered that day clearly, when they went to Appleloosa for the first time.

Those were the days…–he mused as he sighed with content. Still, his pleasant train of thought was broken by the possibility of what they would find when they reach the place. He really hoped that nopony got hurt. As he continued to think about it, Applejack shoved his side, catching his attention.

“Sorry AJ, did you say something?”

Huffing at first at his behavior, she slowly relaxed and looked at Spike seriously, “Can ah ask ya an honest question?” This sparked Spike’s curiosity, for the Element of Honesty rarely asked for permission like this, her usual nature being blunt about everything.

This must be serious…– he thought, as he scanned her bright eyes for some kind of clue that would point him what it could be, but found nothing.

“I…guess?” he said uncertainly, because as much as he knew, she could ask him anything and he really didn’t want to lie to her.

“Ah was wonderin’…ya know…about w-well…” stuttered Applejack as a blush started to show on her muzzle, making Spike panic.

Sweet Celestia, she isn’t going to confess to me is she?!–he screamed in his head but what followed was even more shocking than what he thought.

“How do ya feel ‘bout Twilight?” she shot, making his jaw nearly fall to the ground as his scales turned red like apples from embarrassment…that he didn’t expect at all.

“W-what might y-you mean Applejack?” he stuttered, asking innocently, but knew that there was no way around this question. Still, he stalled for time. –If I answer yes, Twilight might hear it later…no, she WILL hear it and not from me, but…If I say no, then it will be over!Think Spike think!–As his mind made a mental effort to come up with his reply, Applejack was continuing, trying very hard to explain her curiosity.

“Is not that ah’m nosy…ah was just thinkin’ that’s all and…” she began to ramble, coming with various excuses which gave the panicking dragon more time but he still didn’t have any solutions, –No way!

“So, ya like ‘er or no?” she asked once again, this time more demanding as she came out of her embarrassment. Spike began to move his muzzle, answering slowly but then, a sudden burst of inspiration hit him.

“I…never thought about it actually…it’s not something I can answer right away, sorry,” he said, while faking an uncertain tone of voice and apologized.–This will work for now…it isn’t all lie after all! Good job Spike! –he congratulated himself, upon seeing that Applejack bought that answer.

“Ah see…well, sorry for askin,” she apologized yet again and they continued forward. Soon a new topic emerged between the duo, but it soon died when they saw their destination on the horizon. Appleloosa was there. “Spike…wake up girls, it’s time to work!” commanded Applejack, toying with the brim of her hat as she felt fear rising in her heart. Soon, she would have answers if everypony was safe.–And if not, then ah will personally buck whoever is behind it.

***Appleloosa – Night***

Flying silently through the night sky, Rainbow Dash overlooked the small city of Appleloosa from high above. So far, the reconnaissance had only confirmed their earlier information…the city was acting weird. Of course Rainbow Dash wasn’t one to wait, but this time, Twilight really demanded that they gather information first.

Must have been that earlier ambush that put her on edge,– reasoned the cyan pegasus. Her shift would be over soon and they would finally go into the city…hopefully. They already knew where the gate was. It had materialized in the office of Sheriff Silverstar and took the settlers by surprise.

When the sound of loud drums filled the air, Rainbow Dash noticed that the settlers started to move to the south of the town, where an ominous looking wooden idol stood. They seemed to worship the shapeless contraption every two hours for about an hour, sometimes improving it and then they resumed their wandering around the city as if in a daze.

This is ridiculous,– she thought to herself looking up at the bright moon. It was time for her to go back, so shifting to the right she made a turn and returned to their hiding place. They actually didn’t have to hide because the settlers never wandered too far, but just in case because buffalos patrolled the grounds around the city.

As soon as she saw her friends down below, she landed gracefully, meeting their gaze.

“How did it go?” asked Twilight, not moving her eyes from something that resembled a makeshift map of the city. Sighing tiredly, the cyan pegasus sat down near everypony and answered the question as best as she could, so thatTwilight wouldn’t start asking about the details.If she did, there would be no end to them and Rainbow Dash knew it from her earlier experience.

“They did everything as predicted. After another two hours they began to worship that thing again. I dropped some rocks down here and there and they indeed reacted to movement but when not seeing anypony they simply reassumed what they were doing.Now, can we please finally do something about this mess?”

Analyzing the details, Twilight was about to stall for a little more time like before, but Applejack interrupted her, “Hate to rush ya Twilight, but ah agree with Rainbow on this one. Mah family is in danger and ah don’t want to wait any longer.”

As if to make her point, she stomped the earth with her hoof, her eyes looking directly into those of the alicorn…and this time Twilightknew there was no stopping them, even if she still didn’t feel sure about the whole plan.

“Okay, gather everypony,” she commanded and they sat in a circle while waiting to hear her out. “The gate is in Sheriff Silverstar’s office and that’s where we need to go…all of us. We can’t show ourselves to the settlers or they will attack us and it will be impossible to shake them off without actually hurting them.” To those words, both Applejack and Fluttershy stiffened visibly. Gathering her breath, Twilight continued with her explanation, “We know that they gather every two hours and are preoccupied and this time is right now. The plan is to get us all inside the sheriff’s office and then I can cast a protective barrier to keep them out, without hurting them. Finally, we can go inside the gate and close it, hopefully saving everypony.”

As she finished her explanation she looked seriously at everypony but upon noticing that neither had any questions she added, “I’ll teleport us into the sheriff’s office now.” She concentrated on her magic, as familiar sensation of power building inside her filled her senses and then…nothing happened. “Huh?” she opened her eyes and she noticed Spike looking at her with concern.

“What happened?” he asked, but she ignored him and tried to repeat the same action. Nothing yet again.

“I can’t teleport us…something is blocking me out,” she said, biting her lower lip, for her whole plan had just crumbled. It didn’t go as she predicted at all.–Why doesn’t it work? Could the gates block my magic? If so, then will the protective spells work at all?– she wondered, but there was no time to do anything about it and she knew that.

“Now what?” inquired Pinkie, but this time, Twilight didn’t have any answers.

“Oh great, guess we will have to do it the old fashioned way!” shouted Rainbow Dash drawing everypony’s attention to her, like she usually did.

“What do you have in mind darling?” asked Rarity, hoping that this plan won’t involve hurting any innocent ponies. Smiling broadly, the blue pegasus started to explain, her mind working at full capacity.

“We’re going to sneak in. We know the idol is to the south of the sheriff’s office. Fluttershy and I will go from the west, Applejack and Pinkie from east and Twilight with Rarity from the north,” she explained, her plan and then looked at Spike with serious eyes. “Spike will come last, after making sure we are all inside the office. If we don’t make it in time or are chased, he will set the idol on fire and that will help us out,” concluding her idea. It was reckless, much too reckless for Twilight’s liking, but it looked to be their only option now.

“Does anypony have any objections?” Twilight asked, but upon not seeing any she decided it was time to move forward.There was a city to save and after that, two more gatesaccording to Princess Celestia. –Still…why do I have to end up with Rarity of all ponies?!– she cringed at the whole idea but couldn’t do anything about it. After all, how would she explain it? –Sorry, I don’t want to go with Rarity because she annoys me with her clinging to Spike!– Sighing defeatedly, she felt a reassuring claw on her foreleg.

“Relax Twi, we’ll all make it so don’t worry,” said Spike with confident smile, which made her heart melt a little.

“You’re right. Okay everypony, let’s move out!”

With that last command, the six mares and one dragon proceeded with the plan but unknown to the lavender alicorn, both Fluttershy and Pinkie exchanged really worried glances yet again, for this could not end well. Still, both mare could do nothing about the current turn of events but hope that everything would somehow go smoothly.

“Come on Fluttershy, let’s fly!” loudly exclaimed Rainbow Dash as she grabbed the other pegasus’ hoof and they ascended into the air. Their direction was the hardest because they had to fly above the town and then go inside earth pony style.All of this, because the inhabitants could notice them when they landed. Soon, everypony and Spike left, which left only Twilight and Rarity.

“Let’s go,” Twilight threw shortly over her shoulder and started to move. Soon she heard Rarity’s hooves behind her. –Why am I even getting frustrated anyway? She didn’t actually do anything with romantic intentions…and Spike doesn’t seem to care…does he?– thought the purple mare, the first seeds of uncertainty in her small heart, that maybe she was just overreacting. However she shoved the thought aside as there was a certain goal they needed to achieve and that was to get inside. She was about to take another step but words from Rarity caught her ear.

“Don’t worry about Spike, Twilight darling. I’ll make sure he is happy,” whispered the white mare and to this Twilight turned towards her, with eyes wide from shock and heart slowly filling with anger. –This one…went too far.

“Rarity…we need to talk,” she began in low voice and slowly come closer to the smiling unicorn before her, jaws shut tight. She could forgive them talking to each other, her hugging him suddenly when he looked down…but it was time to make it clear that she didn’t want the other mare near HER Spike.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy

“Come on ‘Shy, we have to move faster!” urged yet again the blue pegasus, but her friend still didn’t want to come out from behind the rock.

“But it is so…scary and dark…” her voice whimpered, while looking around frantically as if something might be waiting in the darkness. Facehoofing her own muzzle, Rainbow Dash decided that there was only one way to go about this…a forceful way.

Grabbing the yellow pegasus by her hoof, she started to tug with all of her might and indeed slowly they started to move forward –No more stalling!–she thought as she tugged with more vigor. She wasn’t usually this impatient with her shy friend but this time they really didn’t had time to waste.

Applejack and Pinkie Pie

Moving from cover to cover, Applejack scanned her surroundings. So far, nopony saw them which was a good sign. “Okay Pinkie, it’scomin’ great so far,” she said, while turning behind her only to find that her friend was nowhere in sight. Panicking a little, she moved back a little while looking around. “Pinkie?” she called in hushed voice but then, a voice from behind startled her.

“What?” she inquired happily, and as Applejack turned around she noticed the pink mare stood behind her, with wide smile. –How did she…no wait, ah don’t want to know,– she concluded in her mind and replied with a smile of her own.

“Just makin’ sure ah didn’t lose ya. Let’s go…quietly.” And with that they continued, moving slowly and really carefully.

Spike

Flying above the clouds to hide his presence, the purple dragon overlooked the whole city of Appleloosa, his dark shadow painted on the sky filled with many stars. As his bright eyes scanned the ground below, he noticed many of the dazed ponies moving in circles before the wooden idol. The whole contraption was shapeless but he noticed that with each passing ritual the worshipers changed it a little, giving it more and more shape…and what was becoming of it sent chills down his back. Still, his mission wasn’t to observe their ritual, as he concentrated on finding his friends. He saw them in distance on all three sides, sneaking between buildings. Often would they look up at him and he would gesture with his claws if it was safe to proceed forward.

With the corner of his eye, he noticed that Twilight and Rarity were doing a great job, although the movement of his loved one seemed to be disorganized, as if something put her on edge. Strangely, the white unicorn moved like always, which told him clearly that this something was happening onlywith Twilight. – I guess I should talk to her after this,–he mused to himself and continued his job, trying very hard not to catch the attention of the crazed settlers.

Twilight and Rarity

Frown present on her purple muzzle and eye twitching, the alicorn princess moved silently through the enveloping darkness, her silent steps and heartbeat telling her all the time she is too loud…that everypony can hear her and their eyes which she couldn’t seewere following her every single movement. Behind her, another mare followed, her innate delicacy making her nearly invisible…save for the smell of perfumes and the white fur which really stood out in this night.

Remembering their earlier discussion, Twilight’s frown only deepened, for it didn’t go as well as she intended…it was a complete disaster in fact, and it only made her more nervous.

A few minutes ago

“Rarity…we need to talk,” said the lavender mare, her eyes angrily looking at the oblivious unicorn before her.

“About what dear?” her voice cheerful as always, unaware of the tumult of emotions that swam inside Twilight’s heart.

She is probably playing innocent…still, I can’t just shout into her muzzle my feelings for Spike, I need to be subtle,– concluded the mare, for two could play this game when truth is hidden between lines and she wouldn’t lose now.

“I think I can make Spike happy enough on my own, but thank you for your generous proposition…after all, he was pretty cheerful when we went to that amusement park,” said Twilight with a smile, expecting the white unicorn to fall back and finally stop pestering her number one assistant with her presence. However, it didn’t go as she planned, for Rarity pulled out the one card that the princess of friendship couldn’t dismiss.

“Nonsense Twilight, we are all friends and it is my duty to help Spikey-Wikey.”

Gritting her teeth in annoyance she clicked her tongue silently –Oh, so you mix friendship into this? Fine, I can do it to,– she thought and proceeded, “But aren’t you busy enough with your work? I know that you want to visit every fashion center along our journey and all…I really don’t want to add more weight on your back, I’m your friend after all and I have no right to do so.”

Smiling sweetly at the end of her sentence, she awaited Rarity’s response. She knew how the mare was about her dreams, –There was simply no way she would

“I appreciate the concern for me, but Spikey-Wikey really went through a lot and I can’t simply leave his side right now. He is important to me you know?”

decline my offer,– those were Twilight’s last thoughts before her frustration achieved its peak and finally decided to burst out from her usually rational and calm mind.

“B-But…he is no longer a baby dragon so stop calling him that! You don’t need to babysit him!” she raised her voice, upset about the milky unicorn’s behavior. –That’s right, Spike is a big dragon who can take care of everything by himself!– added the lavender mare in her mind, strongly believing in those words but also wondering when did she start to view him in this light.

Sufficient to say, Twilight’s outburst took Rarity aback, making the latter mare confused on her muzzle.

“Oh my, why are you getting so worked up about it Twilight? I always called him that…but maybe you are right. I won’t be babysitting him, only offering him my presence when he is troubled to ease him a little when he needs it,” she said apologetically, but for the alicorn it wasn’t enough, she wanted Rarity to back off from Spike. Regaining her composure, she decided to play one last card.

“I…but I still want to just make up for that accident and you are stealing his attention like this. How am I even going to do this with you around?” reasoned the mare, hoping that this time the white unicorn will finally understand that she is coming between them,– She isn’t stupid. Either she will agree and promise not to do this again or, she does have feelings for him.

As she waited for Rarity’s response, who seemed to collect her thoughts, the white mare finally responded after some time,“Oh…I’m sorry about this Twilight, I had no idea you felt like this darling, but if he comes to me on his own while in need or for any other reason I can’t simply decline can I? That would be simply rude of me.”

This was all Twilight needed to confirm her suspicions,–She does want to steal him from me! Fine, you win for now Rarity, but I won’t let you do this when I just realized how much he means to me!

“I guess you can’t…” she agreed with the fashionista for now, strongly believing that in the end, she would win the war anyway.Rarity, seeing as the alicorn finally smiled, decided to take it as a good sign to finally get them moving.

“Great, then if we agree on that,let’s move, we have another gate to close and ladies shouldn’t let their friends wait,” and with that, they trotted into the darkness towards the city.

Present

Guess I will have to work harder…maybe I should invite him on a date? Or take up that offer of his to teach me cook? – she almost shuddered at the latter for it was extreme but Twilight was sure that it would be enough to strengthen their bond and now she was becoming desperate, –But what would I talk to him about? I can’t simply tell him how I feel can I? Who should I ask…Princess Celestia? No, that won’t work. Cadence? No, she is too busy with ruling.

As she exercised her mind around the whole idea, she noticed that they were near the office. “Okay Rarity, let’s go inside…quietly,” she reminded to the milk colored mare and they went inside. The whole office wasn’t anything fancy, a wooden floor, wooden desk, a chair…some wanted posters on walls. It was very plain in everypony’s opinion.

Upon entering, Twilight noticed that every other element of harmony was already present,–Great, so far, so good,– she mused and looked around but couldn’t notice the most important element…there was no gate in sight.

Noticing her wandering gaze, Applejack offered her a clear answer, “If yerlookin’ for the gate, it’s in the jail cell.”

“Okay, thennow we need to wait for Spike and we can…” began Twilight as she was about to start pacing but the dragon voice cut her in the middle.

“I’m already here,” he commented as he silently slipped inside the building and closed the doors behind himself. Before the alicorn even turn to look at him, Rarity already made her move.

“They didn’t see you darling?” asked the mare with concern in her blue eyes as she came closer to him…too close for Twilight’s liking. The purple dragon shrugged his shoulders and grinned at her widely.

“Of course not, they were too busy gawking at that idol of theirs,” came his reassuring reply. He wanted to say something more but the lavender mare cut in.

“Okay everypony, let’s move, the faster we do this, the better for Appleloosa,”– And better for me,– she added in her thoughts as she made her way towards the jail cell. The gate was indeed there but this time it didn’t look like black orb of energy. This time it looked like an oval shaped black stone door with glowing green veins at its edges. Truth be told, the only similarity that remained was the ominous feeling it emitted, so clearly recognized by all of them.

Without further delay, Twilight closed her eyes and concentrated once again on the spell that Celestia provided to her. Casting it over and over gave her enough practice so she didn’t tire so easily now and it didn’t take as much time as before. She even went as far as to enhance it which meant it should work for everypony now. When she felt the magic particles gather in enough quantity she casted the spell. –This time I’ll accompany Spike,– she made her resolve as the magenta glow slowly died out.

“Uh…Twilight? I don’t think the spell worked…at least not like before,” began gently the dragon and indeed, this time both Spike and Applejack glowed…however the protective spell which should have been there was missing and he could feel it.

“No…” began Twilight as she sat down on her flank, strength leaving her as fear slowly crept inside her heart –This is worse than before!

However, before she could begin panicking for good Applejack smiled widely,“Ah was expectin’ this.” This got her puzzled stares from everypony present as if they didn’t expect how in all of Equestria she could know something like that. Realizing her poor choice of words, the earth mare smiled sheepishly, “Ah meant it was the same with others…ya know, one of us going in with Spike.” –Well, at least it’s not Rarity…but then again this is still not good– thought Twilight as she regained her calm and got up from the floor while furrowing her eyebrows.

Adorning a deep frown, while worry filled her heart, Twilight looked with all the seriousness she could muster in her eyes at both Spike and Applejack. “The protective spell didn’t work. This means you can’t go in there. Without it, you could get hurt even by simply going inside! It could…” as she began to become more frantic, she stopped upon noticing Spike’s gaze, and it told her enough. They couldn’t stop, not now, not ever.

Smiling broadly, the dragon himself puffed his chest jokingly, while reassuring his friend. “Relax Twi. We know it but there really isn’t much we can do, can we?” She liked how he tried to make her feel better, however she still didn’t sound convinced and began to start opposing the whole idea.

“I know that Spike, but–”

He didn’t let her finish as his still overconfident voice once again interrupted her in mid-sentence. “Besides, we already got those gates figured out, you said it so.This one would probably have something to do with dishonesty so we should be able to quickly close it and then return. In the meantime try to hide in here and stabilize the energy from the outside so we won’t crash down from the portal when it collapses. Please just have some faithin me.” With that, he motioned for Applejack to move and they ventured forth, soon vanishing inside the gate, not waiting for her reply.The place where they stood mere seconds ago still held the gazes of their many friends.

“Just…come back safely,” whispered Twilight, but her words were so silent that they remained unheard by anypony else that was currently present inside the office.

***Gate of Lies***

Going through this gate was one, strange experience for both the purple dragon and earth pony. While it was the first time for Applejack who couldn’t compare it to anything, Spike on the other claw could point out differences and much to his shock, traveling through this gate was actually pleasant. No swirling, no loud noises, no flashes of light…they simply exited on the other side from a wall, just like walking through a door. Before them lay the very center of the dimension which plagued the inhabitants of Appleloosa. It wasn’t anything extraordinary like before, no chambers made of living flesh, no corpses dangling from above. Even the usual ominous feeling that usually accompanied Spike wasn’t present.

Looking around, he noticed that they were in a single room, nothing fancy. Walls made out of wood, old bed, wooden table with single candle on top of it and a knife and two broken chairs near it. The only thing that was out of place was the lack of any doors or windows but it wasn’t something to get scared about. –Unless, it is a trap,– thought Spike to himself and began to move around, inspecting everything, looking for something out of ordinary. He knew enough to suspect that something definitely wasn’t right.

As soon, as she noticed Spike working, Applejack couldn’t help but say her thoughts aloud,“Ah was expectin’ more.” This got the purple dragon to look at her quizzically, so she quickly explained where did that came from,“Ya know, the way ya’ll were explainin’ those, but this looks normal…almost.” He had to admit that she had a point there, but still, he wasn’t one to be fooled by looks.

“We still shouldn’t let our guards down, it might be…argh!” as he was about to say, his mouth screamed in agony, as he quickly looked back at the wall he was examining a mere seconds ago, and noticed that many long strings that attached themselves to his arm and his blood flowing slowly through them. Mortified, he tried to tug at them, but it only hurt him.

“Spike!” he heard Applejack yell frantically, as she went up to him and observed what was happening with horror in her eyes.

Still shocked, the dragon wasn’t however going to stand idle because his next course of action took place –If I can’t tug at them…then I will burn them.– He slowly began to fill his lungs, the feeling of warmness built up inside him as he breathed hard with emerald colored flame, making the strings hiss, but it wasn’t enough, for they remained untouched…blood still flowing through them. He was about to say something, but suddenly, he was yanked off of his talons and collided with the wall, his backside glued to it by more strings as the blood started to flow faster.

“Hang in there Spike!” yelled Applejack as she took out her lasso from under her hat, put it around the dragon and tugged, but the wall kept him attached to itself. As sweat formed on her forehead she heard Spike yell to her.

“It’s no use, we need to find a way out of this gate…look around, maybe there are some clues!” with those words, she stopped tugging and started to quickly look around, believing in his words that there must have been something. With the corner of her eye, she finally spotted something out of place. Coming closer, she inspected the strange occurrence and indeed, there were letters from blood which were slowly writing themselves on the wall.

“Ah found somethin’!” she yelled to the dragon and began to readaloud:

“I lied to Applejack because I no longer consider her my friend, she is annoying and always pokes her muzzle in other’s business. Seriously, how can anypony stand her?” and so it continued over and over, repeating itself sometimes but one fact didn’t change and that was that the dragon lied.

“An’ what do ya make out of it Spike?” she asked, for now disregarding the fact that this wall made some serious accusations about Spike’s real thoughts andhis sincerity with her. The dragon however, didn’t look pleased at all.

“Of course! This is the gate of dishonesty and it shows my recent lie…but I really don’t think those things about you AJ, you have to believe me,” he said, while clearly annoyed as he felt weaker and weaker with each passing second. “We need to hurry, my blood is being sucked out fast,” he told Applejack but the mare casted a puzzled glance at him.

“Ah am a little conflicted and angry but ah can’t leave ya on that wall. So what do we do?” she inquired, possible solutions avoiding her.Whispering voices came from the walls, reading the lines which startled both friends but they quickly regained their composure.

After a little while the dragon sighed, as one idea popped up in his mind. –I’m going to try confess to my lies…if I tell the truth, it should shatter this illusion or at least release me.–with this, he inhaled deeply. It was quite an irony that earlier today he lied to the earth pony and now he was going to come out clearly, “I admit, I lied to you about my feelings for Twilight. I…actually l-like her more than a friend but didn’t want to tell you for fear of it reaching her ears from somepony other than me.” His eyes met up with Applejack’s and she could clearly see the emotions which he didn’t want to say.

“Ah see…don’t worry Spike, ah am not Rarity, yer secret is safe…uh…shouldn’t ya be released from that wall?”

Indeed, the wall didn’t had any intention of stopping,–So that wasn’t it,– thought the purple dragon as his vision became slightly blurry, but he wasn’t about to worry Applejack too much. “No good, I feel weaker and weaker…we need to…hurry…”he whispered as his head lowered, while he tried to think. Seeing his state, Applejack began to panic.

“Spike? SPIKE!”she yelled but there was no response from her fiend.–Not good! Think AJ, think! – She began to pace around frantically, looking from wall to wall, Spike’s blood everywhere and whispers resounding all around.

As her heart began to beat faster she stomped the ground hard, no idea coming to her mind and her friend slowly dying before her own eyes. She could swear she could hear a distant laughter alongside theannoying strange voices. Not being able to take it much further, Applejack finally shouted aloud, “Shut up, I don’t care if he lied to me or what he thinks of me! Just give him back!” but nothing changed, the writing continued, the whispers mocked and more blood began to show on walls. There was nothing she could do, absolutely nothing and she felt useless. With fright, she gazed at the dragon who now looked very pale, his breath so shallow and faint that she knew he was on his death bed.

No…Spike…don’t ya dare…–she began to think, her voice unable to go out from her tightened throat as she put her hoof on his chest and…nothing. She couldn’t feel his heartbeat. “N-no…” she stammered, as her tears began to fall from her eyes, matting her cheeks. The whispers continued, blaming Spike for everything and soon anger replaced her sadness and shone through her eyes. Turning towards the place which continued to scribble the lies, she made her he resolve. “Spike ain’t NOTHIN’ like ya write!” she shouted and then grabbed the knife which laid on the table.

Slicing fast, the sharp and cold metal parted quickly the skin on her foreleg as blood began falling down on the floor…but she didn’t care about it. Honestly, she didn’t know why she took this course of action, but being as straightforward as she always was, she knew what she wanted to do now and it was to stop those lies from being written. Coming closer to the place where the lies were being painted, she put her bloodied hoof on the wall and slowly wrote: ‘Spike,’blood letters appeared but she didn’t stop there, ‘is my,’ more blood fell down, soaking her fur further, ‘friend.’ was the last word and just as she finished the automatic writing closed in on this simple phrase and stopped…as if it was a wall that kept it from going.

Looking puzzled, she noticed that whispers stopped abruptly, soon replaced by a loud monstrous screech as everything began to shake violently. Looking back, she saw that strings which kept Spike in place began to vanish as his body slowly fell to the ground. Herheart beating in her throat, she came fast enough, before he could hit the floor. Catching his heavy body and smearing it a little with her blood, the earth mare laid him down on the ground, focusing her attention on his still form, fear gripping at her heart, no heartbeat felt.

Applejack tears continued to fall as many thoughts filled her head. “Ya can’t die Spike. Ya just came back to Twilight…she needs ya!” she said with quivering lips but there was no movement from the dragon and she sat there in complete silence unable to take her crying eyes off him…she couldn’t believe what happened, she simply couldn’t accept this fact. With another wail she put her head to his chest, nuzzling him gently, regret that she wasn’t faster…–If only I was faster,– she lamented but then her ear caught a silent sound.

*thump* Startled, she tried to listen closely, making sure she didn’t imagine the sound. *thump…thump…*,*thump…thump…* Eyes wide, from shock she looked at Spike, her tears stopping. –He is alive! Thank Celes…Ah have to get’im out of here!– she thought and looked around frantically, only now noticing that the room around them had been replaced.

As Applejack found herself in a chamber that she recognized as the heart of the gate, she looked at the center. There it was, in plain sight, levitating and humming silently. A focus stone, this one in shape of spiral but also emitting the ominous feeling just like others did. Quickly getting to her hooves, she moved forward galloping, her mind filled only with thoughts of removing it and getting Spike to safety. Putting her still bloodied hoof on it, she yanked it hard and soon everything began to swirl around her, just for a brief moment, her eyes caught a sight of two golden eyes staring at her with…

***???***

Rage, was the emotion which the creature of shadows felt as it trashed around while roaring. “HOW?!” it demanded, unable to contain itself as its scaly talons moved from place to place, unable to calm down. Soon however, its eyes shifted and three different voices sounded from within its throat at the same time, the doubled effect resounding around the darkness.

“Why are you making such ruckus?” it asked, both angry and mocking and cruel at the same time, neither voice dominating over another as raw power filled the air around. The voice from before stopped the body in its tracks and looked within itself.

“They overcame it, but it should have been impossible! I made sure the gate didn’t close even if they feed it with truth but it still did! My trap didn’t work! It…” it raged but the third voice stopped it, its ominous presence dominating.

“THAT doesn’t matter to us. They were lucky but they won’t stop us next time because we take matters in our own limbs…soon, with this newly formed body of ours,” it commanded, the verdict definitive and the first one had to admit that it was indeed true and being angry was pointless. There was only one path anyway, but still…

”If only it didn’t take so much time to reform this body…” but the third voice no longer felt the need to respond, for it was tired. Soon, everything would be resolved.

***Appleloosa***

In the sheriff’s office all went well. Four mares took turns to look through the window to see if any settlers were coming their way…thankfully they were still too preoccupied with their worship. Sitting alone in the jail cell was Twilight Sparkle, as she concentrated on the gate, trying as best as she could to stabilize it, until she felt a familiar change in it. Opening her eyes wider she said loudly so others could hear her, “They are coming back!” There was an obvious tingle of nervousness in her voice and her heart skipped a beat, for she feared if everything was okay with her friends, especially Spike.

The gate vibrated and shifted dangerously in place as it opened and threw out two bodies before cracking and finally falling apart with silent hiss. Catching both the dragon and earth mare before they could collide with the ground, they wanted to say something but Applejack stopped them quickly by shouting,“Spike got hurt! He needs help!” and that was enough to shock everypony and get their attention. Looking at the battered dragon and seeing the state he was in, especially his pale skin, they quickly acted.

“I’ll get help!” yelled Rarity, distress in her voice so great that it startled everypony as she exited the office.

“Let’s get him to the bed!” said quickly the cyan pegasus and soon along with Applejack and Pinkie they lifted him and made their way out of the office and onto streets in search for a suitable place. Looking at all of this, standing still from shock, Twilight could only blink as if watching disturbing movie that played itself before her purple eyes.

“No…Spike…” she whispered and felt hoof touch her coat.

Fluttershy looked worriedly at her friend, who trembled all over. She was aware of the feelings the mare held for Spike and wanted to offer comfort but before she was able to utter any word, the lavender alicorn sped out from the room, chasing after her other friends. With fear gripping her own heart, the yellow mare also moved forward, hoping and praying to Celestia that Spike would be alright.–We can’t lose him again…especially not Twilight.

It didn’t take long for Twilight to spot the purple shape as her friends entered one of many houses, while the settlers all around stared at them, unable to comprehend what had happened. Ignoring the inhabitants of Appleloosa, she rushed forward, inside that house, nearly trampling over Braeburn who moved on wobbly legs.

“Spike!” she shouted as she entered the room and found the dragon simply laying on the bed, his chest rising and falling calmly, Rarity in tears by his side, caressing gently his cheek and three others at the hoof of the bed, overlooking it all. Moving closer towards him, she looked at his sleeping face and it gave her comfort for he was alive…it took some time for her to notice that somepony was speaking to her as she looked up and noticed Rarity eyes on her.

“I-I’ll stay with him. You and the others need to take care of Appleloosa’s residents and–” she didn’t finish as Twilight face morphed into that of complete fury.

“Why don’t YOU go help and I stay at his side?!” she practically yelled at the unicorn, looking as if she was ready to murder her, which scared Rarity. The white mare didn’t know why Twilight reacted the way she did, but she was not a pony who you could simply shout down, especially if she was worried for her friend’s safety. She didn’t know why Twilight recently behaved the way she did and was unpleasant to her for some time now, but she wouldn’t let her do so any longer, especially when ponies of Appleloosa needed somepony of authority to explain the confusion. Sufficient to say, both of them were on edge and the stressful situation didn’t help.

“You have done enough Twilight! If your magic worked then none of this would have happened! Now go back and at least help people of Appleloosa!” she yelled back, which made the alicorn’s frown deepen as her magic boiled inside of her, however another voice cut in before things could turn into full fight.

“Ah heard enough! He needs rest and ah will stay with him!” commanded Applejack, still feeling guilty over the fact that it was probably her slow acting that made her friendsend up this way. Before either Rarity and Twilight could object to the idea, both Rainbow Dash and Pinkie respectively began to lead them out of the room…and they let them, upon noticing that their fight was doing nothing more than hindering Spike’s recovery. Still, Twilight knew that this wasn’t over…it was just the beginning…

Author's Note:

Me and QuBit really hope that you enjoyed this chapter, stay tuned for nr. 15 !