• Published 7th Oct 2013
  • 4,005 Views, 122 Comments

Friendship: Reanimation - ImaginaryCatnip



A failed experiment and the terrible memories that plague Spike upon his return from void. Join him as he journeys alongside the six mares to save all of equestria. Spilight story!

  • ...
16
 122
 4,005

Chapter 12 - Gate of sorrow

Important A/N: Hi my dear reades! As you might notice I have uploaded yet another chapter but there is an announcment that I really need to make so here goes: I re-read the prevorious chapters of this story and noticed that a lot of times I didn't squeeze as much of it as I could... I find my own story a piece of garbage because I rushed with it a lot, while I should concentrate on adding more details and use another writing style. This said, before posting chapter 13 I will be editing the current ones slightly. If I will post chapter 13 this will mean that I finished repairing my mistakes~! Have a good read as I poured more heart into this chapter than half-flanked job I did with prevorious ones.

Chapter 12 - Gate of sorrow

***Canterlot***

The mighty, white walls created from purest and hardest of all stones shone brightly in the rays of Celestia’s sun, as It promised another beautiful and warm day of spring. The structure of marvelous city loomed up high on the side of great mountain, overlooking most of Equestria, giving comfort to the ponies which were part of this country.

Under the watchful eyes of their gods and rulers, all of the country thrived in splendor and the fabled and ancient city of Canterlot was a crown jewel of it. Many towers which shoot up high into blue sky, detailed archways and sculptures which seemed to adorn every part of it would render speechless anypony who visited it for first time, as it was one of wonders which existed in this world, its very existence balancing between reality and dream.

The very castle, a mighty sight for eyes to behold, loomed over other buildings as big brother would over his younger siblings offering protection to anypony who needed it. In one of the halls of this beautiful structure, in its very heart was housed the throne room, a sight to leave others in awe.

The spacious room, which one would enter through heavy doors made of pure gold, didn’t house many furniture other than dual throne for both goddesses to sit and rule from, a new addition of past year. Of course, this lack of furniture didn’t mean the whole place was barren, far from it in fact, since many other decorations adorned it. Looking around, one would be able to spot massive, gold chandeliers above, the finest art of craftsmanship at its glory, the curtains and tapestries made of most delicate silk, arranged with so much care that it looked like waving rainbow for anypony entering through the door.

While those decorations were certainly a sight to behold still, they were but a fragment, a drop in the sea of splendor. On both sides, left and right alike there were many stained glasses depicting most important events which happened in Equestria’s past, since both princesses began their rule over other ponies. It was one of those images which held the gaze of Celestia as she pondered about her student and the long road the young alicorn came through.

The goddess of sun never had any children of her own as emotional attachment was not privilege for somepony as she… an eternal being, who was above others. Still, through the course of many years she took under her wings a lot of students, famed Star Swirl the Bearded counting among them, but it was with Twilight that the mare began to understand what it meant to have a daughter. Were it many dangerous adventures the young, lavender mare was thrown into? Or was it her personality which warmed the sun inside Celestia’s heat, the goddess still didn’t found out clear answer.

For one as she, time mattered little but with her inner eyes she could hear excited patter of small hooves on stone floor as the little filly ran up to her, a smile as bright as sun adorning her face upon completion of yet another research. Celestia wanted nothing more than to aid her protégé in any way she could, as that smile, which she remembered right now, was something that she wanted to preserve at all cost… for her it was the symbol of Equestria she tried to achieve and sincerely believed that Twilight Sparkle would be the one to bring about this final change in near future.

Suddenly, a voice which she recognized from thousands of years ago made her come out of her thoughts as she looked at two other occupants of the magnificent throne room. “What thou make of it, Discord?” Asked Princess Luna, upon inspecting the object which lazily floated between all of them. Its structure, upon closer inspection, resembled simple yet perfectly symmetrical stone cube. The whole stone wouldn’t offer anything to others, even the magic wielding unicorns, but the three individuals in the room were different as their senses could barely catch the faintest emanations of magic which slept dormant. A powerful magic, which if used, could bring about doom to all of Equestria as it housed the kind of power which was above either harmony, chaos, friendship or love… it housed one of two primal powers which gave the birth to everything, the very opposition of nature, which was called the void… the shadow of creation which could undo the existence of everything or bend it out of natural law.

As a set of two mad, red and yellow eyes scanned the object before them with curiosity, their owner started to play with his beard… a habit which Celestia remembered from times long forgotten. Discord, while a being who could seemingly change one thing into other was lost deep in thought as even his powers couldn’t faze the rock for they was high gap between their powers. After a while which stretched like forever, the draconequus finally looked out from the stone cube and without much care said.

“I’m fascinated how boring it is to stare at this. This is simply the most entertaining activity that I enjoyed with you two. Now, can’t we just toss it somewhere and find something more interesting hm?” He asked, while lying on his back in thin air, boredom evident in his voice but through the mask of it, the goddess of night could feel his anxiety upon being unable to find anything… or maybe he did and was just hoarding his knowledge like the trickster usually had in his habit? Luna needed to make sure, which is why she decided to use one of many manipulative tactics she observed among other ponies, especially mares in regards to colts when they wanted something from them.

“So you, the powerful spirit of chaos don’t know anything? Figures…” She let her tongue slide on the last word, disappointment evident in her voice and with hidden smile observed she waited as words began to have effect she desired. Discord might be a master at manipulation but even he was prone to take action when his intellect was insulted in such a way… it was a matter of male pride.

Looking frowning on the princess of the night, the draconequus lost his mask of not caring about anything for split second, before smile crept its way again on his muzzle. “Well… I know that it is hard, shaped in cube… in fact I think it is a rock cube. Happy now? Besides that, I don’t feel my hands after poking this thing.” And upon saying both of his hands literally fell to his side… until they began to chase each other around the room, which offered disturbing sight for both order loving beings.
“So we can’t help them for now.” Finally took voice the goddess of the sun, her normally calm demeanor dropping hints of frustration which wasn’t missed by other occupants of the room as silence fell among them. As the white alicorn looked through window which had yet to house recording of next history event, her mind wandered towards six young mares and one dragon. Never in her life had she felt so many times this helpless, as during this generation when she often needed to put the weight of Equestria on their shoulders.

It was ironic for her that while being a god, one who should have all the answers and should be able to oppose everything by simply willing it, all she could do was put her hopes and trust in mortal hooves whose life was so fragile and precious to her. – Times change… once I was the one who would go out of my way to protect everything dear to me, but nature willed this responsibility to be passed onto Twilight. Will more changes come? Will I also fade along the way? – Thought the eternal being, feeling for the very first time many years of her past that wore her out. She began to wonder how would Twilight cope if she were to live as long as she had and then it amused her slightly that she no longer looked at the world with her own eyes… Now Twilight was her sense of understanding everything but had this very sense outgrown her, becoming something even the goddess couldn’t comprehend? It was something for time to tell.

***Train***

High above between many clouds, a lone bird soared through the blue sky, its wings stretched wide while looking with its sharp eyes for prey which would serve as its meal. It descended lower, feeling the air current shift and soon found a tasty worm, one big enough that would certainly fill its empty stomach. The colorful bird prepared to attack, instincts of predator taking over but the loud whistle of train locomotive frightened it, making it ascend yet again and lose the target.

The heavy machine moved through tracks at amazing speed, not stopping for anything be it bird or worm, the words “Vanhoover Express” written on the tablet which was attached on the front. Indeed, this was a train which only had one simple destination and that was to travel between three major stations, the city mentioned in its name, Cloudsdale and Canterlot. Due to compact it only tugged three wagons after it, making the whole contraption light enough for high speed.

In the first wagon there were five mares, each of them talking vigorously to another as they related between themselves the events which happened two days prior. One voice, with higher pitch to it than others was obviously dominating the entire conversation. “…and then, the pegasi at the bakery were like ‘wow’ but not the kind of ‘wow’ when you get presents but the ‘wow’ when you are surprised before laughing out loud which they did!” told Pinkie Pie to her friends while making everypony present laugh from her tale of pulling pranks around Cloudsdale, especially Rainbow Dash as her story reached its climax. It was her role to keep everypony’s spirit up high, because it deepened their bond and brought them closer together on more occasions than any of the present mares could count.

Brushing her hair out of her eyesight way as it got disrupted during excessive laugh, Rarity heaved a content sight. In spite of everything that happened since they all became friends things really looked bright for all of them… the damage which Spike took in the rift turned out to be little more than big bruise which put her heart at ease. Thinking about Twilight reaction upon seeing the state the purple dragon really warmed up her hearth and filled her with new hope as one of her secret desires seemed to come closer and closer to realization… - just as Pinkie predicted long time ago – Thought the white mare, events of one day in past replaying before her eyes. While her overactive friend might be considered by most for only having fun and parties in her head, for Rarity she was more like a chunk of coal.. easy to discern at first sight but in reality hiding a diamond and her friend was one of the purest ones.

Looking at the door to second wagon, where the rest of her team was, she just hoped that certain duo would finally see what was in front of their eyes all along, her generous personality whispering through her mind, hoping it won’t take much longer before she will be able to come clean about her feelings.

In that very wagon, which the white unicorn was looking at, certain events played between purple dragon and alicorn of the same color. “Ow…” Cringed Spike as the mare he spent his entire life, the pony of his admiration, was trying to ease his pain with one of her spells, but he had yet to wonder if that was her true intention seeing as for at least ten minutes there were only new waves of stinging on his back which hurt a lot. As yet another painful feeling shot through his wing, the dragon decided that he had about enough of it already and sat up from the bed, moving out of Twilight’s horn reach, arms firmly crossed before him and back to the wall.

“Oh come on Spike, sit down so I can cast my spell properly.” Complained the laveder mare, for it was more than fifth time that her number one assistant escaped from her like that… and she was just trying to take care of him that’s all. Trying to move around him to once again reach the wing on his back she quickly found out that the stubborn dragon wasn’t going to sit down again and won’t evem allow her near the injury. “Spike, I have to take care of it or it will hurt, we both know it.” She began yet again but was cut short by growl from him.

“No we don’t and you are overreacting again.” He stubbornly refused to budge, the remembrance of recent events playing across his mind deepening frown which painted on his face…

Flashback

The distressed alicorn flew straight through puffy white clouds, not bothering to move out of their way as the only thing on her mind were two simple words ‘Spike’ and ‘Hospital’. Making her way towards now restored Cloudsdale she landed with impact in the center of one of the bigger clouds which made a lot of confused pegasi residing there look at her in both shock and awe, for it wasn’t a common sign in Equestria that alicorn princess landed in Cloudsdale while carrying a dragon with her magic. However, before anypony could as much as blink she ran up to one of the groups, starling it as her eyes seeped with distress, her mane a mess, giving her a look of being totally insane.

As she quickly looked at them, she shoot quick question in their direction “Where is the hospital?!” voice demanding and loud, she scared the hay out of them all, save for one red colt as her magic crackled all around which made the poor pegasus who remained to jump up in fright. Thankfully, the frightened stallion managed to retain enough reason to point out in the direction of building made of clouds which clearly bore sign of red cross, marking it as the place she was looking for.
Not wasting any more time, the lavender mare galloped through them, quickening her peace by propelling her wings at full speed. Whatever words left from Spike mouth, they were not reaching her ears as he soon tried to shout on top of his lungs to get her attention but it seemed she was in a world of her own, completely ignoring him. It didn’t take more than two minutes for her to burst through hospital door, getting them out of their hinges and Spike could swear that if she went any faster she would execute sonic rainboom.

Running through corridor she went up to the first stallion in white coat and glasses, who happened to be carrying his coffee, obviously on break. It came as no surprise that when the lavender mare popped up before him nearly giving him a heart attack in the process, she managed to get the black liquid all over him “Are you a doctor?” she inquired, crazed look not leaving her purple eyes “Ye…” “He is injured, I need you to examine him, do every test you can, take blood samples, EEG, USG, blood pressure, Bone density test, colonoscopy, FOTB, Prostate cancer, Eye exam…” She shoot name of one medical test after another, making the poor doctor pale in face as the stallion and Spike exchanged glances, one confused and the other one embarrassed beyond belief.

“Just agree with her for now doctor…” Said Spike, waiting till his lavender mare would calm enough to release her hold on him… then they would have one, long talk. Nodding, the doctor went along with what the dragon suggested and decided to listen for now, which seemed to help a little as the mare soon began to ran out of the possible medical terms to use.

“…and by order of princess Celestia give him enema!” She finally finished while panting out of breath and while waving the royal letter in front of the doctor face much to true terror displaying in Spike’s eyes, thankfully he was able to snatch it out of her hooves as soon as she released her magic hold on him before the doctor could as much as see it. Then the distressed dragon clasped his free claw over her mouth which finally seemed to have some kind of effect as the alicorn looked up to find the angry look in his eyes. They stayed like that for what seemed to be forever until the alicorn came to her senses. Feeling her throat dry, she gulped down the saliva, realizing her rash actions. Averting her purple eyes, Twilight tried to get out of Spike’s grip on her muzzle but the dragon held her firmly and turned his head towards the doctor, while trying very hard to contain himself.

“I’m sorry… she panicked a little when I damaged my wing. Would you happen to know where can I get my wings checked up?” He asked kindly, trying to act normal in spite the whole embarrassing situation which took place a mere seconds ago. Looking at them both, the pegasus doctor adjusted his glasses while pointing at reception desk with his foreleg.

“Uh, yeah… the reception, right. Thank you again doctor…?” Replied Spike while scratching the back of his head, making the last word longer, as he wanted to catch the doctor’s name before leaving. Thankfully, the pegasus who calmed visibly smiled gently at both of them and introduced himself.

“Calm Talker… Why don’t we go to my room? I can give you both basic cheek ups.” He offered kindly which made both the dragon and alicorn exchange glances as such generosity was rarely found, especially among doctors who had tons of patients every day.

“That would be very kind of you” Said Twilight, upon Spike’s loosening the grip on her mouth. Afterwards the duo made their way into the doctor office missing the paper on its side which clearly stated: Doctor Calm Talker, Psychiatrist.

End of Flashback

“…because of you, we spent two days at psychiatrist until our friends found us!” He practically yelled, unable to contain himself as the very experience made him very upset with her, especially the fact that she would use the royal letter from princess Celestia to…

“I said I was sorry!” Apologized yet again Twilight, casting downward her look of full embarrassment and shifting uncomfortably in place. As she remembered many talks with the psychiatrist while trying tell him she wasn’t a total nut case-obviously he didn’t buy that-the worst memory was that of Spike yelling at her afterwards. The dragon wouldn’t normally act like this, but she couldn’t blame him for she screwed pretty bad as they lost precious time, throwing most of their schedule out of the window. Thankfully princess Celestia, upon hearing more or less about what transpired in Cloudsdale, ordered one of the express train to assist them in getting to Vanhoover on time.

“I really want to make it up to you Spike. Just let me treat this wing…” She pleaded, voice breaking with each word and Spike, being the gentle dragon he was and a male at that couldn’t resist her anymore. If there was one thing he hated it was to see Twilight cry because of him, that simple fact never changed. Slowly, he turned around and sat down with his back to her giving his silent approval for her to continue and true enough, soon he felt yet another sting of pain at his back. Closing his eyes, a familiar sensation flowed through him, tugging at the edge of his conscience… a memory was resurfacing, one he was repressing…

***10.03.2009***

Fear… that was what I felt when going from school that day as my legs slowly carried me towards the place I called home but thought of it nothing more than hell on earth. The day didn’t started good, it never did but this one was especially miserable. Feeling the tight knot in my stomach I remembered what transpired today, as three bullies stole my homework which I tried so hard to finish earlier today. The whole experience was normal… it happened most of the time, today however another event was added to it which resulted in the worst possible scenario…

Flashback

I sat in my desk, nearly at the end of the classroom, when the teacher began to check for random victim who would be tasked to recite the homework. Soon, his eyes fell on one of the names…my name.

As heavy silence filled the classroom, I knew that I tried to reason with him but to no avail. Out of the corner of my eye I saw three bullies who obviously had the time of their life seeing my miserable weak self.

“It is another time that you are unprepared. I’m sorry but you get an F and I will have to notify your parents.” He stated calmly, which sent shivers through my spine. As in a dream I sat down, for it was all clear to me that while an F wouldn’t make as much difference…a call to my parents was another matter.

End of Flashback

As I looked at the door of my home, which dominated over me, I gulped hard steeling myself for what was to come… but how does one prepare for pain? Wish I knew that at this time. Opening this box of Pandora I ventured forth, darkness inside enveloping me completely upon silently closing the doors.

“I-I’m home” I called weakly but as expected, no cheerful greeting responded… only sound of someone getting up from couch in haste and the next thing I remember was the painful feeling of big hand on my hair as I was brought through the corridor inside my room, punishment already awaiting.

I gritted my teeth, knowing that any protest would result in more pain as I felt my shirt being stripped from me and then the pain began, the hellish torture that I witnessed many times before on daily basis. The long cable swung down with sickening swish, landing hard on my back exploding in pain as tears started to pour down my face but I wouldn’t made a single sound. Then another hit…and another, resulting in more red marks on my back, the pain burning through me, scaring me for life…

***???***

Inside the darkness a bored presence moved one pawn after another, trying to discern possible scenarios, checking if it didn’t omit anything in its master plan. It was about to move the pawn resembling purple dragon when a tingling sense tugged at it, pulling it out of dream. The other one felt it to as both of them, now awake, looked at the situation in the train with amusement.

“It started!” Hissed the first voice, delight clear in its tone, as it moved closer to the window which housed the interesting image.

“What started?” Inquired the second one not being able to avert its eyes from the spectacle which played before them, as excitement arose higher and higher.

“Their memories are breaking through!” Replied the first one, mockery accompanied with happiness for the goal was coming closer and closer.

“Still, It is a wonder he managed to shield himself from them for so long” Complimented the second but noticed that earlier speaker disregarded it with hiss. “Courtesy of his ‘friends’ I assume, but even they won’t be able to stop it once it begins” finished their conversation the second one as he noticed that first was clearly too absorbed in everything to even respond.

***Train***

Being preoccupied with her task of mending his wound, Twilight Sparkle noticed what transpired with her number one assistant as he moved yet again from the grasps of her magic. Looking up she began to scold him “Spike I told you to…” but stopped in mid sentence, eyes wide from shock as the dragon paled and trembled all over as if he was having an epilepsy attack. Rushing up front, she noticed his tightly closed eyes and salty tears which streamed down his face, leaving behind two stains on purple scaled cheeks. Panicking, she thought about getting the girls, but she couldn’t leave him in this state. Heart beating fast in her purple chest she was thinking about what to do however, she brought out of her initial shock upon hearing her name.

“Twilight…” Whispered the dragon weakly, his voice thin as air as he moved his clawed limbs helplessly and hugged her tightly to himself, surprising the mare. Unsure what to do, she responded to the hug naturally, as she wrapped her own forelegs around his scaly hide, heat of her body mixing with his own inner flames. Whispering and cooing him, which seemed to very slowly calm him down from whatever he was experiencing her mind began to wonder, looking for possible explanations about what happened while guilt began to grow in her heart that it was probably her fault.

As the pair sat on the bed sheets, not one of them uttering a single word, time passed for what seemed to be eternity when finally Spike calmed enough to get his voice back, still it broke Twilight as she heard raspy his words “I-I’m sorry…” He whispered but whatever he was apologizing for was lost on Twilight as she stroked the scales on his back with affectionate gesture “It is okay Spike…everything is okay, I’m here.” Her voice calm as sea breeze soothed his torn soul, but being the curious scholar that she was, the alicorn couldn’t help but inquire about recent events more “You scared me out here… what happened… do you… want to talk about it?” She spoke her words carefully, because while being curious she wasn’t one to be insensitive when it came to others, especially the dragon in her embrace.

Breathing hard and quickly, as if he woke up from terrible nightmare, Spike slowly regained his normal heartbeat rhythm and almost smiled at Twilight curiosity… almost… “I…don’t know, I was sitting here and then… those memories…” She felt him shudder which made her tighten the embrace as if on impulse “…It all felt so real Twi… I was living it all again…” he tried to explain but seeing as the shock still didn’t wear off he stopped there and Twilight had no intention on pressing the topic forward for she got out of him enough even in his current state… one thing was clear for her though and that was what she expressed in her next thoughts – There is connection between Spike and those rifts…We need to hurry.

***Vanhoover***

The fabled city of Vanhoover came in sight shortly after Twilight managed to calm Spike down. As the purple duo and the rest of their friends now looked through many windows the whole place came closer and closer and to their relief it looked to be in better shape than Cloudsdale… there was actually nothing wrong with it, but who knew what lurked inside many stone buildings?

“Finally! It was taking forever!” Cheered Rainbow Dash, speaking aloud everypony’s thoughts as indeed, sitting in the train for so long wore them all for there isn’t exactly much to do other than sleeping or talking while inside a wagon. Still, neither of them thought of it as lost time for they were friends who enjoyed spending time together no matter the quantity. “Hey, Spike, now that Twilight helped you with that wing why don’t we fly to the city and eat some ice-cream?” Proposed the blue pegasus, for she still felt that after many incidents that happened recently the dragon could use some nice and relaxing moments… as far as Pinkie told her, the purple dragon looked a little pale some minutes ago when he joined them so she figured it would be good to take his mind off things. Besides, she could use it herself, as the memories from that rift still sent shivers down her spine and she rather would like if those were shivers from cold ice-cream.

“I…don’t think I feel like flying yet RD” Responded the purple dragon, while telling half truth. If he wanted, he could easily fly towards the Vanhoover and be faster there than this train, but he was afraid that of what might happen if the situation from before would happen again. What if he had another attack like that while in flight? He wasn’t going to risk it. Upon receiving his reply the blue pegasi smile fell a little, but soon she waved her hove at it, as she wasn’t one to be disappointed for long periods of time.

Unaware to the duo, Pinkie Pie was secretly looking at her friends while bouncing happily around, getting good look from various angles and discerning their emotions… especially Spike’s and what she saw there for split second worried her greatly . Still, she smiled looking forward to their adventure, as smile was what would help them more than being worried… it was this simple truth she followed since earning her cutie mark. Besides, the truth will come to light soon anyway, she just needed to be patient.

It didn’t take them long until the train arrived at central station and soon enough they exited it, each of them coming to register the sight before them, as seven pairs of eyes glistered from amazement. While Cloudsdale was amazing because of its rainbow waterfalls and clouds, Vanhoover offered different kind of beauty. All around them, the big buildings grew from the very ground so high that one would get headache when looking up.

“This is…fabulous” Uttered Rarity as her eyes shone with excitement like two precious gems taking fully the sight before her. The white mare could basically see those fashion domes, shops with materials from oversea that would normally be impossible to obtain in Ponyville. Her daydream was however interrupted upon feeling powerful tug at her neck which made her move forward. Looking around herself she noticed that Applejack put rope around it and was tugging the white mare to move. “What in all of Equestria are you doing Applejack!” She angrily said, as it was humiliating for a lady of her stature to be on a leash like that, especially in Vanhoover where many ponies could see it.

The earth pony, upon noticing that Rarity finally came to her senses gave a big, sincere smile and pointed at the silhouettes of their friends which were already far away from them. “Ah, wouldn’t want to lose ya with all that spacin’ out ya’now?” She said simply as she tugged more strongly, but her generous friend resisted it with her full strength.

“I refuse to be led like a… why look at this.” Stopped in mid sentence the white mare as her eyes fell on shop-window which showed magnificent sky blue dress on display, one which Rarity recognized to be the new trend… and she liked that one seeing as it fit well with diamonds or sapphires. However, before she was able to take closer look another tug, this one strong enough to move her, pulled her out of yet another daydream. As she began to protest, Applejack ignored her completely saying only one simple phrase, before continuing her work “ya’ll thank me later”.

“Do you sense anything Twilight?” Asked Fluttershy, as she tried very hard not to bump into anypony or get lost but the sheer number of mares and colts around made it nearly impossible so she quickly started to fly above her friends which mad things a little easier. Looking around she noticed that something was odd about their situation but couldn’t quite put her hove around it.

“Nothing, but the city is big… maybe it isn’t inside the city at all? I mean everything looks normal” Mused Twilight, as she tried to think of good plan but was quickly interrupted by the Pink mare, who clearly looked distressed about everything around her. “Normal? Normal?!” She nearly yelled Twilight in face while grabbing her head between her forelegs but as always the alicorn had problems to follow her friend way of thinking. “Yes Pinkie, I mean, the ponies are going about their daily lives like normal” She tried to put some reason into her friend but the mare didn’t falter and pouted at her… seeing as it could continue for some time Twilight decided it would be best to do the usual and simply ask the mare what was going on, since she often had brilliant ideas even if her way was a little crazy. “Okay Pinkie what do you think is not normal?” and then a torrent of explanation followed.

“Well, those ponies don’t smile and they move like zombies” She showed one of the ponies to his side but he didn’t react in any way and kept walking forward oblivious to the nature of things that simply happened. In her mind she hoped deep inside that it would be enough for her alicorn friends to believe her… this time she was wrong.

“Uh…that certainly was strange but maybe he was just… busy? Anything else?” Asked the alicorn, purple eyes moving to analyze Pinkie. Somehow the mare might have found something important but Twilight still wasn’t convinced, not until they find anything out of place like those black clouds in Cloudsdale. Still, Pinkie Pie wasn’t one to disappoint her as the pink earth pony ear began to twitch, followed by the shake in her left foreleg and dry throat. “Well, the is this black sphere down the road after the next turn to the left, the same as before in Cloudsdale” She finished with wide smile, as everypony and Spike looked at her in shock but they already knew that she told them the truth.

“Let me guess…pinkie sense?” Asked Twilight, wondering why the hay did she even bothered to locate those rifts using her magic when her pink furred friend was capable of doing so without it. “Okay girls, follow me!” Issued her command the alicorn princess as she took flight to quicken their pace, feeling the urge to rush, memories of not too long ago still fresh in her mind. – Just wait Spike, I will make it all alright – She thought, determination shining brightly in her eyes.

It didn’t took them long to reach their destination and true enough there was the rift in the very center of the street but compared to others it was slightly bigger than the one at Ghastly Gorge. What caught their attention was the simple fact that while Vanhoover was swarming with ponies, this place was deserted. “Okay everypony, let’s try the protective spell again and hope it works” frowned Twilight and began casting. She could feel the power surge going through her body, gathering at the tip of her horn and the fired… - I will help you Spike – She promised herself but when the glow died on all others save for the purple dragon and pink mare she couldn’t help but groan in frustration while hitting the ground with her forelegs. “WHY?!” She asked no pony in particular as she prepared for yet another try only to be stopped by scaly hand.

“Stop Twi… it looks like this time I will have to go inside with Pinkie and…” He began but was curt shortly by her angry stare as her next words send chills even down his spine “I’m not letting you get hurt again!” She practically screamed at him but Fluttershy, sensing what was about to happen came down and hugged the trembling alicorn “There there… it is going to be okay” She reassured just as she does to many animals and believe it or not it worked, as the purple mare couldn’t find it inside herself to snap at the kind pegasus.

I really don’t want him to leave me alone again...I need him. – She thought to herself while trying hard to not make scene. They needed her to be collected leader not a filly who does cry because something didn’t went the way she wanted. She exhaled and tried to say something but Pinkie was quicker… “Don’t worry Twilight I will make sure your dragon returns to you in one piece!” She chirped happily, causing both the dragon and alicorn blush lightly – Aha, I was right! – Exclaimed happily the pink earth pony as she made her resolve… soon, everything will be like it should. “Come on Spike!” She shouted and galloped towards the rift and after her panicked dragon, who casted one last glance at Twilight before vanishing inside…

***Gate of sorrow***

As familiar sensation enveloped Spike, he tried to look around his surroundings for Pinkie but many swirling colors made the whole task in vain. He could swear that there was a shadow moving on the edge of his vision but even if it was true or simply his imagination it vanished without the trace. With loud sound resembling a roar of thunder, the purple dragon found himself standing inside the big, gray hall which was mostly shrouded in shadows which seemed to slowly consume the space around, starting from the top, as if the walls themselves were melting down. “Pinkie?” He called and then heard a sound of hooves behind himself. Whirling around for any sign of potential danger, which he knew existed in those rifts, he scanned the silhouette before him.

Upon closer recognition, he unmistakably deducted it was indeed his happy go lucky friend “Thank Celestia, you nearly gave me an heart attack Pinkie.” And that was truth as he still could feel his heart beating madly inside his chest. – What was I scared about? Pinkie is random but certainly no pony to be afraid off .

“I’m sorry, for starling you Spike…” The silhouette moved closer and Spike couldn’t help but notice that her appearance differed from the usual one he knew about… she looked like “…still, I would like if you called me Pinkamena Diane Pie” the fear returned towards him… in rifts there were many different things as he came to witness but he certainly didn’t expect that… for he knew that Pinkie other self could be either an ally or enemy. Gulping down saliva, he prepared for anything until…

“Hey Spike, so this is the rift? It doesn’t look as scary as Rainbow or Twilight said, were they making fun of me or is this the first time you see a rift like that and who…” Stopped Pinkie Pie in mid sentence upon noticing a pony who resembled her greatly. Overcoming her initial shock however, she quickly did the only thing Pinkie would do in a situation like this “Hey my name is Pinkie Pie, you look like me but are sad, you want to be friends so we can have fun together?” She asked, her outgoing personality getting the best of her but Pinkamena didn’t as much as twitch an eyebrow in annoyance, only sighed. “What have I become.” This response made Spike cast quizzical look at her. He was about to ask her something but she motioned with her hoof for him to remain silent which he did, the sheer force of her stare freezing him.

“We don’t have much time to talk Spike. I know you have a lot of questions but before you ask any of them let me tell you the most important things.” She said as he could only nod to her, unable to voice out anything, which he deduced was her doing. With the corner of his eye, he noticed that the usual Pinkie that he knew was suspended in the air as if time stopped for her but otherwise she looked unharmed. Looking back he concentrated on Pinkamena who began her long tale her voice while similar to Pinkie was devoid of any signs of laughter. “This place… the rifts as you call them, go by the name of gates. I think you probably already figured that your disappearance into void, your return, those memories, the gates… everything is connected to each other.” Seeing him nod, she continued her tale as her foreleg moved and a screen materialized out of thin air which showed him different places of this world “After you returned to Equestria something came after you… it tries to pull you back into the void for reasons unknown to me but before it can fully materialize itself it sends those gates to make its presence known. It created them for you to fail inside but it didn’t account for friends who would help you out on this quest. Still, it plays its own game and cheats at every turn. The fact of Twilight spell not working properly is being proof enough. However, you must know that those gates aren’t as indestructible as they seem. Usually a specific emotions controls them in this case sorrow… but because of this it can be destroyed by this very emotion or its opposition which would be laughter. Sorrow can get to focus stone because it allows it… it wants to absorb it, while laughter shatters away illusions.”

Thinking back about her words the purple dragon went with his mind back to the gate of Cloudsdale, and indeed there was something that shattered those corpses… whatever that was, he wasn’t sure but this was a start. “I said what you needed to know. Whatever you do Spike, don’t venture into gates on your own. Now do you have any questions for me?” Asked Pinkamena Diane Pie as her sorrowful look pierced through him and Pinkie Pie, releasing them both from her hold.

“So? Will you be my friend?” Inquired Pinkie yet again, to which Pinkamena calmly replied “Aren’t we already friends?” her question making Pinkie stop in place as she began to ponder about this fact. This exchange gave Spike the first of many question a priority as he now knew what he wanted to ask.

“Who are you really?” As soon as those words left his dragon mouth, the dulled pink mare looked at him and decided to answer this question… after all she promised to do so, no matter what he would ask about. Seating herself more comfortably she wished to stop the cheerful Pinkie Pie again but stopped before doing so. “I am her and she is me, we are both one and the same.” She began and then took a deep breath as she materialized images on the screen before Spike.

“You know that Pinkamena Diane Pie, before getting her cutie mark worked at rock farm… how she got it and what came after… what I’m about to tell you are the repressed memories which made it possible for Pinkie Pie to come to existence…”

Flashback

Young Pinkamena Diane Pie woke up to yet another day of hard work at the farm. Just as usual, she would continue her dull life, the same breakfast everyday and then hours upon hours of work alongside the rest of her family. Nothing in her life ever changed but what should it? She didn’t knew the wonders of life beyond her farm, never experienced them and the only source of enjoyment after a day’s work was reading… she did it to kill time between day, as her father had thousands of various books in his cellar. There were various kinds of tomes, which offered simple knowledge about constricting machines, mathematic, legends of old and much more, but the ones she enjoyed the most were about psychology as it provided a window to understand her own mind… yes, she enjoyed reading but wasn’t obsessed about it.

It was one of those rainy days that something uncommon happened in her life, a spark which shone through grey clouds of her heart, when in the middle of the night she heard a barking sound. Wondering if maybe a stray dog wandered around she trotted out of her bed trying to scare the beast but upon finding it, she noticed a single gray puppy, no bigger than her as it waved its hair happily at her. At first she tried to get rid of it, but then it got attached… and it stayed, just like that, becoming an addition of her daily life, changing her usual routine. Soon, all of her family brightened including her, while the little dog ran around farm, giving her first spike of happiness inside her dead heart which opened slowly day by day…

The little dog was named Pinkie, because Pinkamena didn’t felt creative when she found her but calling the little thing ‘dog’ seemed rude in her opinion. Pinkie and Pinkamena shared many moments, be it reading or work or breakfast… actually those were the only moments but it was enough for each of them…until that day happened.

It was snowing outside when Pinamena was lying in her bed, another book in her hooves as she read from paragraph to paragraph about the anatomy of animals when she heard a loud scowl outside which couldn’t be mistaken for anything else. Rushing outside as quickly as she could she quickly found the source but the sigh of red on fresh snow stopped her. There, few hooves away was bigger dog which was eating fresh flesh as blood dripped from its mouth without any regard for the pony that came closer. Noticing a big rock under her hooves, Pinkamena looked at it curiously, then at the dog which ate Pinkie, then again at the rock… a wide smile spreading on her lips as tears poured from her eyes…

End of flashback

“Those events broke me… making me even sadder than I was before meeting Pinkie… then I repressed those emotions, which gave birth to me that you talk to, while leaving the other me on her road to find her cutie mark and become Pinkie Pie you know.” Concluded Pinkamena, as she noticed the dragon getting teary eyed at her story. He never knew that somepony as positive as Pinkie could carry so much burden inside of them. He wanted to pull her into a hug feeling some kind of kinship because he too suffered from many memories. With the corner of his eye he noticed Pinkie running around happily, searching for focus stone, as Pinkamena ordered her in the middle of her tale.. of course it was all a lie as she already showed him the object they came here for.

“So what happens after me and Pinkie leave this gate? Will you… vanish?” He dared to ask but the mare of sadness shook her head before replying “I cannot vanish for I am Pinkie and Pinkie is Pinkamena. Haven’t you noticed already those rare moments when wise knowledge would flow out of your friend? Those rare moments when she could construct everything? Or the ‘Pinkie sense’? Those are nothing more than signals I send to my second personality to help you all out even if the ways in which the other me tells you everything is a little chaotic” Said Pinkamena as everything began to make sense in Spike’s head. He bashed himself for never really inquiring about Pinkie, only taking for granted that she simply was there, being random and spreading laughter everywhere. Bowing his head down, he said the only thing that needed to be said, one he might never have chance to tell again “Thank you for helping us out from behind the scenes”

This shocked Pinkamena as she never actually thought of being thanked before but then she remembered many times she saw the dragon… this was Spike after all even if he was a little broken. If she were able, she would probably smile but being made of the repressed sadness didn’t give her this possibility. Instead, she decided to express her thanks in another way. “There is something I need to tell… show you Spike, for it might clear you confusion later when need arises. “

With that, the floating screen began to show events in Ponyville from Pinkie perspective. The pink pony was standing before Rarity, his old crush and she wore one of those rare expressions of seriousness. Spike instantly recognized it was Pinkamena and not Pinkie who spoke the next words “Hello Rarity!” Shouted Pinkie happily as always, starling the white mare.

“Wha…Oh, um, hello darling, can I help you with something?” Asked Rarity, trying very hard to hid her annoyance upon looking at her new dress sketch which now had a big hole in it, thanks to the feather she was drawing it with.

“Actually I came to talk... it is about Spike.” Replied Pinkie, her cheerfulness suddenly gone but the smile of jester remained behind firmly placed on her muzzle. “Did something happened to Spikey-Wikey?” Asked frightened unicorn as she came closer and draped her forelegs on both sides of her pink friend. “Not yet, but might in future and I need you to help him out” responded the mare, smile still present, almost sadistic but Rarity was far more concerned for the baby dragon instead of analyzing her friend odd behavior.

“I’ll do anything for the little guy!” Promised Rarity and soon images began to flow through Spike, of events he never was aware off as they filled his head amazing him beyond belief. When the torrent stopped he looked shocked at Pinkamena before hugging her gratefully “Thank you… both Rarity and you…” he whispered as tears of gratitude fell down his eyes for he never knew how much the pink mare did for him until he actually saw for himself. Returning his hug Pinkamena whispered to his ear “You will thank me if you will finally dragon up and do what you must…now go…. and tell no pony about our talk.” with this she shoved the focus stone inside his claw and the world around began to phase out of sight…

***???***

In a space where no sound should exist a loud roar resounded in the room without walls, causing everything to shake even though there was nothing here save for chessboard and few pieces which scattered all around. The eyes of being without shape looked angrily as Spike and that pink mare came out of the gate it created.

“How… It shouldn’t be possible. What happened there?” Issued questions the creature, mocking tone filled with anger came from its mouth. Soon, its eyes shifted in place and another voice came from the very same being.
“I told you not to play with him” it said to itself as mad laugh escaped it afterwards.

“But it is interesting! I don’t know how they pulled that off but they severed our connection to the gate.” It congratulated, mockery returning as well, as the chess pieces began to drift closer, reassembling to their rightful position.

“Whatever transpired there might be our failure” Angry voice resounded again, but whatever the conversation the creature had within itself, there was no

“What are you? One of those ponies to believe in miracles? There won’t be one, as whatever they did won’t hinder the plan…” The second voice mocked the first one, as it clearly felt amused at the recent happenings. If it ever met the purple dragon, it would thank him for the entertainment his struggle provided.

“Then why are you angry and tossing everything around?”Asked the angry voice, frown showing on the creatures’ face.

“There is nothing around, only void and I hate being left in the dark” Continued the mockery the second voice from within this strange being but the first voice didn’t stop there before it would get the last say.

“We are always left in the dark…that is the way made for us three since the beginning.”

***Train***

The heavy machine left the central station with slow speed as it began to move towards next destination which was Los Pegasus. Inside one of the wagons, there sat six of friends as Spike and Pinkie finished narrating the events that happened in the gate. Strangely, the pink mare didn’t remember much, as for Spike, he related everything he learned from Pinkamena in the letter to princess Celestia, which they sent with crescent shaped focus stone. Of course, the purple dragon honored the wish of pink mare and never mentioned her involvement in any of this, instead saying that he found a book which gave away those details… it was a bad lie but one that his friends believed. He felt bad about lying to all of them, but when those words left his mouth, he could swear that he saw a spark In Pinkie’s eyes which left him to wonder… what was really going through her head.

“Great job, we managed to close the rift… the gate I mean and finally moved forward.” Congratulated everypony Twilight as she seated herself closer to Spike, the relief upon his safe return still painted over her muzzle. Unrolling the map before them all, she put her hove down and pointed at their next destination. “There is no rift in Los Pegasus, but we need to get there to travel to Apple Loosa where…”

“Apple Looosa?!” Nearly shouted Applejack as she got up quickly a troubled and dark expression on her face. Before anypony was able to say anything to calm her down, she stormed out of the wagon “Ah, need some time alone.” she said shortly and exited. They knew what went through their friend head, without asking.

“It must be hard on her because her family might be in danger…should I go after her?” Asked Fluttershy, concerned look clearly painted on her muzzle but Twilight shook her head in dismissal “No Fluttershy… what AJ needs right now is some time… uh… where is Pinkie?” Asked the alicorn and indeed the pink mare was nowhere to be seen.

In the next wagon, which housed their baggage… well, mostly Rarity’s there sat lone earth pony, biting her lower lip down. She didn’t want to storm out on her friends like that… but she saw what those rifts did to cities they encountered and Apple Loosa was long way ahead of them. She couldn’t help but worry about her family which lived in the small city not doing anything wrong to anypony. – Why do they need to be involved in this? – She asked herself but that was a silly question, because it was a place like everywhere in Equestria… it just happened to be picked randomly.

She heaved a sigh, but then a cheerful voice called out to her “Hey AJ, I saw you look sad and you know how I hate seeing my friends to be sad, so I came to cheer you up, are you happy?” Asked Pinkie with full smile. Applejack had to admit, that even though she would rather sit here alone she appreciated the gesture. “Ah sheesh thanks Pinkie but, ah don’t really want to talk ‘bout it” honestly said AJ but the pink mare wasn’t done there.

“Oh…okay! Then how about we talk about other stuff?!” She asked, not willing to give up… she never did and Applejack admired her stubbornness when it came to her friends. “Oh’kay Pinkie, shoot” Offered the hard working mare wondering what other stuff would Pinkie want to talk about. She guessed it would be about party as usual, so what she said next caught AJ totally of guard. “Oh, I don’t know… maybe about Twilight and Spike? Don’t you think they seem closer now? They look sooo cute together, almost like a couple!” Happily chirped the pink mare which made AJ eyes nearly bulge out of her eye sockets.

“Wha…Uh…I…ah…” Stuttered Applejack, as she couldn’t find word to express her mind. She already thought that something was going on between the library roommates but ultimately assumed that they simply are close because of Spike’s recent comeback after a year, the ‘romantic’ option never actually crossing her mind… - well… maybe a little when I didn’t want Spike to carry Rarity back at Cloudsdale upon noticing Twilight's look- The earth mare was however thrown out of her trance by the next thing that Pinkie said.

“They would be the perfect couple *sigh* and I think they like each other… if only somepony would help them realize it… they really need help. I would set them on a date in Los Pegasus but Twilight will probably busy herself with finding us a way to Apple Loosa…” This was enough to make Applejack stand straight and proudly before the pink mare. “No worries Pinkie. If ya goin’ to set them up, then ah’ll fill for Twilight and find us ah way to Apple Loosa” Said the element of honestly, and the pink mare couldn’t help but stiff a big smile. It went just so easy with Applejack as her need to help her friends with everything really got the better of her at times like those… not only will the mare do something meaning full for her by finding a way across, but she will also give Pinkie an opportunity to set her plan in motion.

“Really? Thank you Applejack! I’m sure both Spike and Twilight will appreciate this!” She squealed in joy hugging the earth mare tightly as the jester smile showed on her face. After some minutes, she pulled out, the look of confusion on her face. “Oh, Hi Applejack!” She greeted which made the honey colored pony look puzzled at her friend until she settled for one phase that a lot of ponies seemed to use constantly – Oh, Pinkie, ya are so random.

Author's Note:

This one chapter I can say that I'm proud off. It didn't involve spontanic writing that I try to practice (the one when you simply sit down and write without double checking anything) and I certainly didn't rush through the story this time. I assume you have a lot of questions after reading this one... that was the plan. Whatever Pinkamena showed Spike will be revealed later so stay tuned for the next chapters... because since the begining of this story one thing is sure: Nothing it what it seems to be.

Also...hope you like this "expansion" of Pinkie character... it was a mad idea. Honestly I put it in because it seemed to be original xD Enjoy R&R