• Published 7th Oct 2013
  • 4,005 Views, 122 Comments

Friendship: Reanimation - ImaginaryCatnip



A failed experiment and the terrible memories that plague Spike upon his return from void. Join him as he journeys alongside the six mares to save all of equestria. Spilight story!

  • ...
16
 122
 4,005

Chapter 6 - Gate of anger

Chapter 6 - Gate of anger

***Outskirts of Ponyville***

When the golden sun was high up in zenith, bathing everything in its warm glow, an unusual pair of purple dragon and lavender alicorn made their way through the grass plains. Equiped with heavy bags, neither of them spoke to each other since they left the library which they called their home, fresh anger still filling both of their hearts.

On rare occasions they would stop to look at provided map, but even this was done in silence. The tense air around them was so heavy and thick it could be felt from far away if somepony would look at the duo, but believe or not, Spike was enjoying this moment of peace. There was a task to perform and distractions in the form of words were one of the last things he needed.

Their silent travel would probably continue long enough until they reached the destination if not for Twilight sitting down out of tiredness as she panted heavily. The mare wasn’t weak but she certainly wasn’t Applejack to travel long distances while overloaded with heavy equipment. Said baggage was also keeping her out from flying so even though she had wings they were pretty much useless right now. Seeing her down Spike sighed and without any word, he took her bag of her back.

“I can… carry it myself…just… need a little breath.” She argued, still upset with him but in reality she was glad for what he did, as her hooves were killing her. “If you tire yourself now, then you won’t be much use when we get there” He stated simply, without any hidden meaning in his words, but the lavender alicorn certainly didn’t look pleased.

“Are you implying that I might fail at spell casting agai…” she began but cut shortly upon noticing the anger in his green eyes. Looking down at the ground, she found her hooves more interesting than the mad, purple dragon before her who now began marching forward. She was still angry at him for lying to her but there was no point in adding oil to the fire as she was smarter than that - well…he didn’t actually lie but not telling me everything when I asked is still not fair… he could at least have made it right by confessing everything when we traveled instead of staying silent all the time!

As the dragon began slowly walking in the general direction of the rift, she began to wonder if it would be alright to talk to him about those things he hid from her. – I already know that he is hiding something about what happened… something that probably changed him to be like this… I mean, he would usually do what I said! if I won’t inquire about it on my own then who knows when, if ever, he will say it out of his own free will.- While her reasoning was good, the mare obviously still omitted the simplest fact… he was no longer a baby dragon, shorter than her. He was bigger, more intimidating and was not going to let her do everything she wanted, especially if he had different opinion.

Steeling her resolve, she began trotting after him. As she tried to form a correct way to start the conversation, the dragon stopped suddenly, making her collide with his back, nearly stabbing her face with one of his sharp spikes. “Ow…” she yelped slightly “Why did you stop so abruptly?” she massaged her cheek, which had a little cut on it. “Sorry…but we are here” he replied, while rubbing the back of his head nervously, a gesture which she remembered belonging to younger dragon when he was embarrassed… somehow it made her glad that there still were parts of him that she recognized.

***The rift***

The small, black sphere which floated in the air at their eyelevel wasn’t what either of them expected to find. While it looked unnatural and definitely wasn’t something that should simply be in the center of the grassy plains, no matter how either of them looked at it, the thing seemed to be harmless which made the letter from Princess Celestia to be exaggerated. Still, they didn’t take any risk, for the duo learned well in the past that usually those small things caused the most harm.

“So…do you have any plan?” Asked Spike as they sat in safe distance from the mysterious emanation of dark energy. So far, Twilight was able to get some readings and it definitely was there… the occasional pulsation of dark magic, fain but there was no mistake. “It is hard to research something while being away from it this much. All I know is, that the emanations get stronger and stronger with each passing minute and we shouldn’t delay… still, it would be too risky to approach” Pondered about their problem the alicorn princess, trying to come up with a good way to change the current situation.

“Hm…the birds seem to be alright passing near it” Pointed out the purple dragon as he did his own observations that didn’t include any fancy equipment that Twilight took with her. “We can’t gamble our safety like that. What if this rift reacts to magic? What if…” She began coming up with reasons but was stopped when Spike’s heavy claw grabbed her foreleg.

“Twilight. We can either stand here for another four hours and watch it grow out of control or we can risk getting closer. Soon, the sun will begin to set and I don’t want us travel when it is dark… Besides we both know there is no way around it” As his words left his mouth the lavender mare thought them over. It was true that they wasted a lot of time while getting nowhere and she couldn’t argue with that. “Fine, but I will be the one that will do it first” She commanded to which the purple dragon growled in irritation. This wasn’t like he wanted it to be.

“And am I supposed to do what? Watch as you risk yourself?” He countered but one look in Twilight’s eyes already told him that she won’t budge about the subject, not this time. She could be stubborn like a mule sometimes and the dragon learned that a long time ago. “Spike. This is my assignment from Princess Celestia and I don’t want to risk your life in yet another research” Said the element of magic and he knew that to this, there was nothing he could say. – We already are on bad terms… just this time I will agree – He thought to himself but he didn’t buy his own reasoning.

“Fine, but if something goes wrong then I’m going after you” Huffed the purple dragon, waiting for her to move… he waited and waited but the mare simply sat there. “Aren’t you going?” he finally asked with slight irritation, seeming as she was so set about doing it. “I will, but… can you first stop holding my leg…?” Asked the mare, and only now he noticed that indeed, what prevented her to move was one of his claws, firmly wrapped around her foreleg. Releasing her quickly from his hold, as if he was touching an ice statue a blush flourished on his face.

“S-sorry…” he muttered, turning his head away to hide his embarrassment. If he didn’t do so, he would probably see that similar color of roses, adorned the cheeks of his companion. As no words were said, the lavender alicorn made her way towards the black sphere, her heart beating faster either of fear or the situation before. – Buck… I bet it looked like something from those many stories from my memories...still, it felt more pleasant. Probably because it was real. I wonder... – Thought Spike to himself, as he observed the mare with curiosity, memories of many stories yet again making their way inside his mind and heart.

As Twilight made her way towards the black rift she began noticing the details that were missed earlier by her. First, the consistency of the phenomenon was similar to that of water bubble but instead of the familiar liquid it was more like being made of tiny granules and moving like a cloud. Second, while getting closer the bubble seemed to calm itself which she took for good sign. – Maybe my magic is repressing it? - Gulping down the saliva, she came close until she was no further than two meters away from the object and then… a great relief washed over her as nothing bad happened. Turning around to face her dragon companion, she signaled to him that it was safe, while preparing for more extensive research happy that at least this went as planned.

Overlooking everything from a safe distance, Spike let out the air he was holding up until now. This really was one unnerving experience, not that he didn’t enjoy their adventure. Seeing as Twilight signaled to him, he grabbed the tools into a big pile and made his way towards the portal. The tower of tools was so big that he actually didn’t see where exactly was he going and with the alicorn looking at the purple dragon… Neither of them noticed that with each step Spike took, the sphere began pulsating and grow in size… not until it was too late as black tendrils shoot out from it, grabbing them, pulling inside of the darkness, before any of them could even scream…

***Gate of anger – corridor of memories***

On the other side of the rift, inside a room in the shape of circle, the ceiling gave way, as two screaming figures fell through, landing on soft floor. Both the dragon and alicorn tried to get themselves up, but the feeling akin to that of sudden teleportation washed over them with a wave of nausea.

“S-spike…are you alright?” Asked Twilight Sparkle as she tried to stand on her shivering legs, striving for balance. The dragon in question did slightly better at doing so because his sharp talons offered easier way of staying firmly on the ground. Still, it didn’t ease his head because his world was spinning.

“I…think so…” He replied as his vision calmed down and his eyes dinally fell upon the room they found themselves into. To his fright, the walls, the floor and the ceiling were made of live flesh, which pulsated from time to time, resembling more the inside of heart than any building… a sight from horror movie. The many veins and arteries pumped red liquid everywhere but in some places they were clearly damaged and thick blood seeped out of them. The purulent blisters made quiet, sickening sounds and on occasion they would burst as stinking fluids began to seep out.

It was then, that the stench of decaying bodies filled his nostrils making him nearly vomit everything he had for breakfast, for the sight was one from a nightmare. As he was calming his erratic breath a sound came from behind him. “Th…that…*blergh*” Vomited Twilight in a very unladylike manner but such reaction was to be expected as even he was struggling to keep himself together. Discord’s creations were disgusting…but this was way beyond the level of disgust. It was as if they were eaten by something big. Even the floor moved under their feet, the delicate tissue of muscle shifting and Spike saw red dots made by his sharp talons… more blood.

Out of pure concern he slowly steeled himself and came closer to the alicorn princess trying not to frighten her more than she already was. Eyes shut tightly, Twilight breathed heavily, obviously to calm herself down but to dragon it didn’t seem to work. Doing the only thing he thought was right, he hugged her gently and began whispering soothingly. “It is okay Twilight… I know how it looks but try to think scientifically. You studied anatomy… there is nothing frightening about it all.” He whispered to her ear and seeing as she slowly came out of her shock he noticed that her breathing slowed significantly.

“I-Its…different, seeing t-this in book… and for r-real” She managed to say which he understood perfectly. From his other memories he knew that many poeple who wanted to become doctors resigned when seeing blood… not to mention other parts of body with odor filling their noses. “I know…” he began, and slowly started to end the embrace. They needed to find a way out of this madness. Looking around he noticed something… a doorway…or he hoped it was it, seeing as it resembled more of a valve in heart. “I think there is a door…maybe the room on the other side will look less…disgusting…” Spike tried to reassure her, pulling away but the mare grabbed his claw in her hoof, not wanting to let go. He knew that she was obviously scarred, so getting a better hold on her foreleg he slowly began to lead her, carefully because he didn’t want her to trip over and end up in a puddle of warm blood.

As soon as they exited the ugly room, they found themselves in oval shaped corridor, but instead of flesh it was created from substance which, to Spike’s surprise, resembled plastic. The corridor was dark and it seemed to stretch long way forward, its end hidden in darkness.

The purple dragon cringed, for it seemed that a long walk was before them. Looking at Twilight, he noticed that she already composed herself, so he decided to stop holding her foreleg not wishing for any more embarrassments…although he had to admit that the feeling of her soft, warm body was pleasant, just like often described in many stories he used to read.

“Sorry, for freaking out…” Said Twilight softly but was quickly stopped by Spike. “What are you sorry about? Anypony would flip out seeing…that.” He tried to sound as normal as usual and bravely began to make his way forward. Funny, that if he were younger it would probably be Twilight who would lead him out of that room and he knew that. When the rhythmic sound of hooves came to his ear he was glad that the lavender mare had regained enough strength to move forward on her own.

As they traveled through the long corridor Spike looked around, noticing that with each step the panels which seemed to adorn the walls started to show random images and to his dismay he recognized them all, for those were some of those other memories that hurt him deeply. Quickening the pace he could hear Twilight call behind him. “Spike, wait up!” She yelled, which make him stop abruptly. As she caught up to him, angry look adorned her face “Why the rush…did something happen?” Asked the lavender alicorn and upon coming closer, she noticed that his eyes were staring daggers into the wall.

Breathing heavily, he turned his attention to her. “Nothing happened…I just don’t want to see the same things again…” his grim voice resounded in the corridor as he sat down with closed eyes trying to calm himself for it looked like explanation was in order and there was no escaping it. “Again…?” Began Twilight but seeing that her companion clearly wasn’t in the best mood she decided to tread more carefully about the subject. “Is this… the thing you didn’t want to talk about?” she asked and seeing as he nodded she put her hove on his claw.

“Do you want to talk about it?” As her delicate whisper reached his ears, he wanted nothing more to tell her everything happened but… “I want…but not now.” He said while sighing, looking into her beautiful eyes which offered comfort he needed right now. “We have to get out of here first…can you trust me a little and not ask about anything that you will see? I promise that after we are safe I will tell you everything.” He finally managed to say and somehow those few words made him feel as if a big boulder was taken from his shoulders.

Great, now we are getting somewhere – Thought Twilight as she adopted a thoughtful expression for some time before smiling to him the most sincere smile he saw since their first argument. “Pinkie promise?” Upon hearing her question his own laughter echoed around the plastic walls. “Cross my heard and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye” he managed to say while laughing to which his oldest friend smiled with delight. No matter how ominous this place was, when they were together, they could tackle it.

Helping him get up, the duo made their way forward. The images, while still present on walls, showing scenes of some strange animals hurting one another in various ways no longer evoked any kind of emotions… only interest from Twilight, who preoccupied herself with watching while sensing that they hold some important meaning to Spike. She wanted share his knowledge and so her attention was fully focused on them. – I want him to be happy – She thought and that line of thinking quickly took her towards her last talk with Pinkie, making her blush – Not in that way! - Twilight nearly screamed out loud but… a small seed of uncertainty began to grow in her.

As they made their way forward, the corridor seemed to shrink little by little. At some point, Spike began to wonder if they will be able to fit for he surely didn’t want to backtrack. “What do you think about all of this Twilight…? Twilight…?” He whirled around only to see that the mare was no longer behind him. Panicking, he started to shout but no reply came. He wanted to return the way he came from but found out a wall blocking his path, closing the whole corridor. He hit it with his claw but no sound was made as if it was created from wool. – This is NOT good…- his thoughts ran through his head as he decided to move forward… which was actually the only way and he already knew that staying in one place wouldn’t accomplish anything.

***Gate of anger – core***

The lavender alicorn opened slowly her eyes only to find herself in small room which seemed to be made out of thin blue glass. The walls were perfectly flat, the same with ceiling and floor…nothing interesting. The only thing that caught her attention was a pedestal in the center of the room where a strange oval shaped stone floated in air while humming silently.

“Spike…? SPIKE!!!” She called but no reply came, only the echo that resounded all around her as if mocking Twilight’s attempts at calling her friend. In her line of sight no doors were present but none the less, she searched for some hidden switch, for she knew that if there was a way in, then there must have been a way out. While doing so, she tried to remember what exactly happened. – I was walking behind Spike and looking at those images…when suddenly I seemed to drift to sleep – She recalled the unusual happening and bit her lower lip in worry. Scanning the room again, she noticed the oval looking rock and just as always, her curiosity was awakened.

Slowly making her way towards the strange item, she could feel its magical properties. She recognized the familiar feeling it gave and she understood what was floating before her very eyes. During one year of Spike’s absence, when she madly researched void and read Star Swirl the Bearded books which hold many interesting theories, she stumbled on topic about focus stones that could hold the whole dimensions together. It shouldn’t be able to exist, for even Star Swirl the Bearded stated so in his books but yet… it was here, right before her very eyes. If her predictions were correct, this was what was keeping the rift together and removal would collapse it. In theory, it would send her back to Equestria but there was one thing that worried her.

If I collapse the this place then what about Spike? – She thought, looking concerned at the stone before her. It was possible that by doing so she could kill the purple dragon… Rubbing her templates with her hooves she tried to think about any possible way out but after a while gave up. This was one of those situations when you have to risk everything because there Is no way or time to research…besides she had this strange feeling in her heart that she learned to trust over span of many other adventures.

Inhaling quickly, she decided to focus her magic on the little floating object while at the same time thinking of Spike. If she could reach his presence in this place then maybe, just maybe everything will turn out to be okay. As magic flowed through her body and concentrated on her horn she could feel herself becoming less and less material. The collapse was happening all around as the dimension seemed to vanish. - Just a little more… - She thought, pushing herself to the limits and just as she did so, all shattered around her, as images flowed inside her head. Events that she didn’t recognize to take place happened all around her, sometimes an image, sometimes black words on white paper which she read long ago.

She watched and learned, as she slowly began to comprehend that what she saw were only many possibilities created by somepony else. The result of imagination of different entities about both her, Spike and everypony she knew. Wild images of her and Spike kissing for first time which seemed to take place more than one time, him either grown up or still a baby dragon, her dying of old age, their wedding on numerous occasions, hurt, comfort, jealousy, their first intimate night… and more, as different scenarios filled her head.

All of this was overwhelming but somewhere in her consciousness she knew that all of it was fiction. – How can you have first kiss more than once? – She asked herself while trying to find some reason in this madness, but none the less, she continued to watch the many images, read many stories and unaware to her, Twilight's own heart learned little by little one of secrets that Spike held locked deep within himself. As possibilities unfolded before her mind the little seed sprouted in her heart, becoming a spark… spark that would become a promise of something she never thought possible. As she lost track of time and didn’t knew how long it lasted… soon everything turned black…only a remnants of pain present and feeling of flying...

Author's Note:

Finally the action goes forward... yay...
Sorry about cliffhanger at the end, I was going to write more but changed the idea a little (>*w*<)

Update 31 Oct 2013 - Upgraded. A little more consistency with character feelings and psychological point of view.