• Published 7th Oct 2013
  • 4,005 Views, 122 Comments

Friendship: Reanimation - ImaginaryCatnip



A failed experiment and the terrible memories that plague Spike upon his return from void. Join him as he journeys alongside the six mares to save all of equestria. Spilight story!

  • ...
16
 122
 4,005

Chapter 9 - Different kind of research

Chapter 9 - Different kind of research

***Everfree Forest***

A lone pair of hooves moved one after another, making an unusual noise in this place, which housed many wonders both beautiful and terrifying. In the dark corners, around many trees with rich leaves, where the sun of Celestia didn’t reach, one could lost himself inside the mysteries if imagination was left to roam free. For the lone mare however, the promises of adventures meant nothing and didn’t sway her out of way. As she trotted down the forest path, soon, the lone hut came to view, which she recognized instantly for nothing more than a house of one of her wisest friends.

Making her way forward, she admired the craft of many wooden masks, each of them with different meaning and purpose. This image was somewhat both inspiring to her and frightening, as she wasn’t the most social creature and the unreadable expressions of those wooden idols could mean anything to her.

Twilight wondered, why Zecora put them outside like this… was it the sign of her loneliness in land far away from those similar to her? She never dared to ask, partially because she felt that Zebra would avoid the direct answer and partially because it wasn’t her business to invade the privacy of others, especially if she respected them deeply.

Going up the small steps, she breathed heavily and without further delay, she knocked on wooden doors. The house wasn’t big or fancy, so she was sure that even the lightest knock would be heard by the owner. As expected the lavender alicorn didn’t have to wait long, as the steady trotting on the other side was clearly heard by her.

“I feel the stranger, knocking to my home, to seek the knowledge but this time… not in old tome.” Rhymed the zebra, as she opened the doors to greet Twilight, whom she clearly recognized before ever seeing her. One of many tricks, the lavender alicorn never could grasp despite her vast knowledge.

“Hello Zecora… may I… come in?” Shyly asked the alicorn, as the courage slowly left her along with air she used to speak those words. The decision to ask zebra for advice about her feelings seemed to be more shameful with every passing second. Truth be told, she choose to confine to her because of two reasons. One was, that Spike was unlikely to come here and even if he did, Twilight was sure Zecora wouldn’t tell him anything about this talk. The second reason was, that she believed the zebra to be wise enough to provide her with some insight.

“Come in, you may every day, but I see you are very troubled today.” Said the anchorites, as she moved out of the entrance way for the young princess to enter, which she did. As soon as the doors closed after her with creaking sound, the zebra looked with her wise, blue eyes at Twilight as if reading her like an open book…another trick the alicorn wished she knew.

“I sense many troubles in your young heart, I will make tea to ease the confession part” Gently smiled Zecora, making the young alicorn relax visibly. The feeling of being understood from the very start and of being welcome was what she needed right now and her zebra friend wasn’t going to send her away without help. Twilight was glad that the zebra, even though she was rhyming all the time, wasn’t beating around the bush. It always felt good for her when friendship manifested in such ways.

“Thank you Zecora” She said, her voice a faint whisper as she sat down on wooden stool, trying to collect her thoughts… there was just so much to ask as everything seemed to be priority. It didn’t take long, before Zecora joined her by the table after placing a stone cup of hot liquid before her. The zebra however didn’t say anything, instead she waited for Twilight to be the one to initiate the conversation.

The lavender mare had to admit that both Zecora and princess Celestia had similar aura about them. Both were wise, both could give her good advice, both were admired by her… but here the similarities ended, as Twilight just couldn’t imagine herself writing or speaking directly to princess Celestia about her potential love problems. “I… I’m troubled by something Zecora… but to tell you that, let me start from the beginning. Some time ago…

***Fluttershy cottage***

The lone cottage, on small hill was many things to many animals in past… but usually they all agreed that it was the oasis of peace, where the most kind of ponies lived. Today however, the place seemed to be the very epicenter of chaos, just like when Discord was staying there. However, it wasn’t the return of draconequus which disturbed the peace…

“WRONG!” Yelled the blue pegasus, as she flied to the right of purple dragon, who struggled immensely with keeping balance and not pummel down, even though the earth was just below him. “Keep balancing! Don’t tense so much, you need the wind to flow under your wings!” She scolded, which would irritate the dragon, if not the simple fact that in one hour he was actually gliding instead of still standing in the field and flapping his wings like scarred chicken.

“I’m trying!” He yelled back, as he breathed hard while trying to relax. Flying wasn’t as hard as he thought it to be but not feeling the ground underneath his talons was unnerving. Of course, he could simply take it slow from now, since he already got the basic but Rainbow Dash insisted on making him her number one dragon student… something about her ‘being so awesome, she even teaches dragons to fly’ or whatever she was boasting about. He could tell that she was really serious about teaching him everything she could.

“Trying won’t help when you start to fall!” Shouted the mare and the purple dragon had to agree with her logic, even if he was beginning to tire. Fortunately, Rainbow Dash must have noticed it too and that’s why she gestured for him to land.

Just as the two of them touched the stable ground, with Spike nearly crashing, the yellow pegasus ran down to them, smile on her face. “You flew so well Spike!” She complimented him and just as he was about to respond, the blue pegasus cut in. “Of course he did! After all I am helping him out.” Boasted more the blue mare, not missing a chance to do so. Turning towards the purple dragon, she smirked at him “And after you get better, I want a race”

To this, Spike couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “Consider it a promise… If I first won’t fall down during your training” He joked and it earned a few laughs from the blue mare, as she playfully shoved him with her hooves. “Hey, I can catch you if that happens you know?” She said, warm smile betraying her supposedly angry tone of voice.

“Didn’t think you would aim for heavy lifting… when did you change your dream of being the best flyer?” Asked dragon, his old habit of witty remarks returning to him for a short while, but he couldn’t help it… for the first time since returning he was really happy. – I seem to have forgotten what I was missing…even those bad memories are so distant now - Ran his thoughts, as his heart filled with warmth of friendship once more.

“Smartass” Replied Rainbow Dash to his remark and stretched her wings. Flying for nearly a whole day could tire everypony and she didn’t had dragon stamina. Truth be told, she was really looking forward to see Spike flying on his own.

All the time, the yellow pegasus looked at their exchange and when it seemed that they were finally over she decided to ask her simple, yet important question. “You look hungry and tired. Why don’t you rest and I’ll prepare dinner?” Her soft voice was like that of angels for the dragon and blue pegasus, as both of them were actually starving.

“Well…can’t say no to your cooking Fluttershy. Come on Spike, break time” Ordered Rainbow Dash, as she flew in the direction of the cottage, her speed betraying the hunger she felt, which made both the purple dragon and yellow pegasus laugh out loud… although the only one that was actually loud was Spike.

***Zecora’s hut***

“So this tale of yours leads to countless ways, many of which set your feelings ablaze” Concluded Zecora, after calmly listening to Twilight for over two hours. Most of the time the mare was just narrating everything that happened but when she began to explain her complicated feelings towards the purple dragon, she was actually rambling, which made the tale significantly longer… Zecora even had to change the candle which lit the room, for it began to end. Indeed it was one long tale, and very surprising at that, but the zebra wouldn’t let Twilight to find her confused.

“Yes… and I don’t know what to do, the books don’t explain anything! Should I consult Spike about those possibilities? What if he doesn’t want any of that to happen? What if it would destroy what we have already? What if only I saw those? What if he thinks I’m a freak? I mean, I don’t have anything about my special somepony being a dragon… he is gentle, and always took care of me but what if… what if he doesn’t see me that way? It is just…so complicated, I mean I might not even be in love!” She began to frantically ask her questions one after another, however Zecora, being experienced enough with talking to the purple alicorn, she waited patiently until Twilight ran out of breath. It was indeed all a big mess…but only for one who was thinking too much about it.

“The feelings in you are now but a single spark, you need to let it grow before it burns out. When the flame will shine bright enough, you will then know if those feelings are true or your heart bluff.” Told her the zebra with soothing voice, making the alicorn relax and ponder about words she spoke. Rhyming was always a good way to talk with others… because before they begin to argue they always have to think over your words.

“So…I should wait to learn if those feelings are true or not?” Asked Twilight slowly, for it was not the answer she expected. In truth, she didn’t actually know what to make of this advice. During many of research projects she often had to wait and observe before she could get any theories… was it similar? Upon seeing her confusion, Zecora decided it would be good to add one more push.

“Love is the most curious thing, both fragile and stronger than you may think. Give it time and do what you must, put fears aside and add a lot of trust.” Said the zebra, as she took the sip from herbal tea but found out, to her great dismay that the cup is empty already.

“But my feelings aside what should I do about his fear of outliving me and everypony else? I mean, I want to help him, I really do but… should I do it? What if I do love him and it only will cause him more suffering later?” Sadly frowned the lavender alicorn, as she eyed the wooden table, as if solutions to her problems could be in there. While she could now deal with waiting to learn about her and Spike relationship, this one problem remained and was not something she could ignore. However Zecora seemed to have cure for even this problem.

“This fear of future is a terrible wound, but given time, a solution might be found. I advise for you once more to wait and see, if no cure is found then come again visit me.” Assured her Zecora, as she smiled at the alicorn, which made the purple mare to look at her with hope and shock filled eyes.

“Does that mean… you would support me even if I decide to break the law and research the spell for Spike to change his lifespan?” Asked Twilight, disbelief clear in her voice. She was struggling with this decision but for Zecora it seemed to be simple matter of helping her friend. – How could I not see it before?! – She bashed herself, realizing that she ignored the very factor which should determine her decision. She was a princess of friendship and had forgotten that it should stay above all other things for her… even the law.

“We are friends are we not? I hope you haven’t already forgot. One last advice, If I may say, know Twilight that this world is nor black nor white, it is gray. Friendship is great, all of us know this warm and radiant glow, but remember that love is not replacement but the effect when it does grow.” Concluded Zecora as she took both empty cups and made her way towards what Twilight assumed to be sink. As the lavender mare thought over those words, she slowly got up from her seat, new resolve made in her heart. If Zecora could simply ignore the unjust law to ease her friend suffering… then so could she. With renewed vigor she slowly neared the door. “Thank you Zecora… It seems I went about it all the wrong way. If you excuse me, I have to come back to library and talk to certain dragon.”

“Be well Twilight Sparkle and visit again, there is still much knowledge I wish you to gain.” Replied the zebra mysteriously while looking at certain set of potions but from that angle the alicorn couldn’t see what those were for.

“I definitely will. Thank you again and goodbye.” Said the lavender mare, and closed the door behind her quickly… maybe a little too quick. Catching a fresh breath, all her troubles seemed to not be as big as she thought them in the morning. As she began her trot out of the forest and to her library, she started to piece together how should she approach Spike about the whole subject… for it was a thin ice. Still, she knew that he would be pleased for her help.

***Ponyville, somewhere in the air***

Whew… I’m glad it is finally over for today – Thought the purple dragon as he flew above the small town, making ponies look high in both wonder and fright for dragons flying above the small town wasn’t common sight. The fear vanished however, upon recognition of his trademark purple and green colors and soon turned into cheers… for many ponies knew him.

I should probably land… unless I want Rainbow Dash angry for stealing her spotlight – He mused to himself while smile formed on his muzzle. He owed the blue pegasus big time for this and was already set on returning the favor… for it was in his dragon code to return every debt.

I wonder what Twilight will say… - ran his thoughts further and to the lavender mare and it also reminded him of more important subject. Whatever happened one year ago didn’t matter for she was still his friend… he knew that, even If they have fought recently. still, his thoughts often wondered if they could be more in the future. He knew of many possibilities of it happening but still doubted that Twilight would ever see him like that…

If not for my cursed long lifespan, I would probably at least TRY to give her some hints… I mean… we were together since I can remember, how can the two of us even be apart? We are the best friends and besides, who will take care of her then if she won’t find anypony? – Thought the purple scaled dragon as he prepared to land near the Golden Oak Library. He knew that Twilight wasn’t the most social pony… in fact, he doubted that there existed anypony who could understand her passion of books and would forgive stuff like skipping date because of important research. Not to mention all of those checklists that could drive anypony insane! – Oh stop kidding yourself Spike. You are a dragon and she is a pony. Even if she were to see past that you are only friends, nothing more… still, it will become awkward to be around if she finds somepony else…

So absorbed by his thoughts was the purple dragon, that he didn’t see what exactly was he doing… and so it came as no surprise that he crash landed before the entrance to his and Twilight home. Thankfully, his hard hide and scales reduced the impact so he didn’t suffer any injures. - Ow… - He groaned out loud as he was awakened in rather rude way from his daydream. – Note to self… no thinking of Twilight when landing - Spike was about to get up when the door opened and there stood frightened mare, the very person he thought of before the crash.

“Spike?” She asked in rather loud voice as she quickly came closer and helped him get up. “What in all of Equestria are you doing?” she inquired, as she supported the staggering dragon when they made their way inside the giant tree.
“Can’t you tell? I was practicing crashing.” Replied the drake sarcastically as he seated himself on one of the couches near the fireplace… - Who built fireplaces in library made of wood anyway? - He thought and looked at Twilight. He noticed that his remark made her slightly upset, so he decided to quickly make up for it…after all he had a lot of stuff to tell her and making her angry contradicted with this. “Sorry… Rainbow Dash gave me some flight lessons but I still fail at landing” He apologized and to his great relief the mare smiled to this, as if remembering something. Not disappointing him, she soon replied to this.

“Yeah, I remember when she gave me those… I wasn’t used to landing either.” As those words left her mouth she seated herself on the same couch and soon a heavy silence followed. Each of them would steal occasional glance at another but it seemed that not one of them knew how to start the conversation. Finally, it was Spike who sighed and began. “Listen… I… promised you to… uhh… tell you everything right?” He said unsurely, to which she nodded shortly. The awkwardness of this situation was making her breath deeply, as heart pounded in her chest.

Relax Twilight… you need to hear this, you need to be strong – She reasoned within herself but already knew that she was asking impossible of herself. The lavender alicorn already knew that she caused Spike a lot of pain… but hearing details still scarred her. “I… just want to say, that I’m sorry for not telling you all of this earlier. You seemed to be happy that I came back and I just didn’t want to ruin your happiness with those memories…” He began to apologize but felt her hove on his claw. When he looked at her, the beautiful purple eyes said more than any words ever could. She understood him and didn’t blame him for his decision. If something, she blamed herself and they both knew it.

Steeling himself, he began his long tale, about years upon years of hurt he experienced. His dragon heart no longer hiding anything, not omitting any painful experiences, just relating everything, no matter how hard it was. The purple dragon noticed that often the lavender mare would flinch but she didn’t dare to interrupt him. As he told her about one year of imprisonment in the void, eighteen years of pain, anger, loneliness, betrayal and many other negative emotions which left him confused about everything, he noticed tears forming in her eyes. Often would he stop to wipe them out but then she would reassure him that everything is okay so he continued… until he finished.

“…I want you to know that even though it hurt and still hurts, I don’t blame you for any of it. It was all an accident and…” He cut shortly as he felt pair of forelegs wrap tightly around his scaly neck. Overcoming the initial shock and smiling softly, he hugged Twilight back, who sobbed silently, the last of tears about that unfortunate accident finally falling down her cheeks, landing on his scaly hide.

“I’m sorry…” She whispered over and over again, her heart in pain for what she caused. The knowledge that he didn’t blame her did little to ease her own misery and so, at this time she made a promise to herself that never would she let Spike to be hurt again, no matter what it would take.

Soon, Twilight slowly regained her composure and released the hold on Spike and seated herself more comfortably at the couch, the feeling of warmth flowing from her body. Taking a deep breath to calm herself, she looked at the dragon with determination which surprised him but not more than her next words. “I…made you suffer Spike. I will probably never repay you for all that you endured but if it is a start, then I will do it.” She said, voice unwavering as she never have been more certain in her life about anything that this.

“Do what?” Asked the dragon, puzzled as to the reaction of his best friend and also a little concerned. “I will find a way to grant you the wish of shortening your lifespan… even if it is against the law or Celestia will, or anything else, I don’t care as long as I’m helping my friend.” As those words left her lips, both the dragon and alicorn could feel big boulder taken away from their hearts… it was a small step but for either of them this meant everything because finally they both reunited as friends, new purpose laid clearly before them.

***Canterlot Castle***

The sound of hooves on hard stone surface echoed through corridor. This wasn’t the cleanest place in the old castle but nonetheless it was the most suitable for those kinds of experiments that Discord had performed on the focus stone.

Coming to a stop before massive wooden door, princess Celestia opened them to find… chaos… in its most raw form. The whole place was shifting, resembling big carousel, the furniture ran around the room, the stool chased dinner table and couch was snoring loudly. On top of that, the whole place lacked roof and sun shone brightly inside… even though Celestia was sure that she still was deep in castle dungeon.

Collecting herself from this sight, she made her way forward and soon found mad draconequus who was levitating and eating banana ice cream with what seemed to be cauliflower. The focus stone, object of her inquiry, was lying near him, tossed like used pair of socks. Upon noticing the presence of princess, Discord stopped his meal by turning it into fridge and greeted the white mare. “Welcome princess, it is so rare for you to visit me!” He cheered, offering her cup of tea… or just tea, as the cup seemed to not exist.

However, the princess was obvious not visiting him for fun and cut right to the main point. “Did you found anything about the stone?” She inquired, clearly not in the mood for Discord jokes. It wasn’t that she loathed his chaos… it was simply a different kind of order, but the growing rifts unnerved her as she could feel dark energy becoming stronger.

“No fun at all, but here are the results” Told her the draconequus as he tossed something that looked like a picture book to her. Still, she took it, as she already knew that it would be too much to ask Discord to write research notes like her student, Twilight Sparkle.

“I apologize for making you feel like that…” Began Celestia but soon an idea showed up in her mind, one that she couldn’t simply pass. “… why don’t you take day off? See the city? I heard Luna talking about new attractions opening and she just loves fun…” Before she was even able to finish her sentence, Discord already was gone. The white alicorn smiled to herself as she made her way out of the chaotic room. She noticed earlier that her younger sister and the spirit of chaos still didn’t see eye to eye… so what better way to make them understand each other than find some common ground?

As the ruler of Equestria, she knew that Discord was a wild card, one that is very hard to keep in check, so making those two become friends might prove to be an asset later… still, she shuddered at the thought of chaos which would unfold when two fun loving beings start to get along, as Luna often went overboard already… how did her younger sister often said it? ‘The fun has been doubled?’ well… it certainly will be today with those two.

Author's Note:

Finally...by Celestia... Zecora rhymes are the worst. Enjoy if you will, R&R.

Update 3. XI. 2013 - Didn't update much... the chapter still feels off to me but I really can't do anything more with it.