• Published 1st Oct 2013
  • 3,005 Views, 95 Comments

Lucidity - alexmagnet



Rainbow Dash has always wondered what it'd be like to do magic, like a unicorn, but seeing as she's not one, she's never had the chance. Luckily for her, Twilight has the perfect solution. Lucid dreaming.

  • ...
16
 95
 3,005

Stage 4 — Delta (II)

Stage 4 — Delta (II)

Having quickly found the spell she needed, Twilight positioned herself beside Rainbow Dash in a small armchair and lay her hoof over Rainbow’s.

“Okay,” she said quietly to herself, “physical contact complete. Next I need to close my eyes and begin the incantation.” Doing just that, Twilight let darkness engulf her as she closed her eyes and started to mouth the words of the spell. Within a second, she could feel the beginnings of the dream connecting spell take hold. She felt herself becoming more and more drowsy, and she could see flashes of images pass through her mind, images that she knew were not her own. If anyone had been watching they would’ve seen her eyes darting back and forth beneath her eyelids, entering the first stages of REM. With this spell, Twilight would skip over the beginnings of sleep and move right into the final stage. Finally, with one last word, Twilight finished the spell.

A sudden sense of vertigo overcame her as she felt herself falling down. The shock was almost enough to wake her up, but she held on. As she plummeted through total blackness, she could hear Rainbow’s voice echoing in her head. She couldn’t make it out, but it sounded like she was speaking to someone. A loud sound filled Twilight’s ears, almost like being at the bottom of the ocean. A second later, she found herself standing in the middle of a large field of flowers.

She looked around. Aside from miles and miles of flowers of all different colors, she saw nothing. Then she heard Rainbow’s voice again, clearer this time and coming from right behind her.

“Uhh… hello? Equestria to Twilight. You there?”

Twilight spun around. Rainbow was standing there with a confused look on her face, and her head cocked to the side. She tapped Twilight’s head with her hoof.

“Anybody home?”

Twilight blinked, then shook her head, throwing off Rainbow’s hoof.

“Rainbow Dash,” she said breathlessly. “Oh, sorry about that. I was just, uhh, thinking about something.”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “That’s not like you. Well, I mean, that is like you, but not like dream you. You were acting normal until a few seconds ago, then you just spaced out and I couldn’t get your attention at all. Is something up?” Rainbow held a hoof to her chin, then said, “Wait, what am I asking you for? It’s not like you’d know. You’re not even real.” She laughed and placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “Man, this dream stuff really messes with your head sometimes. I actually forgot if I was dreaming or not for a second there, heh.”

Twilight looked at Rainbow, her brow furrowed. “You know that you’re in a dream?”

Rainbow slowly took her hoof off Twilight’s shoulder. “Uhh, yes? Why wouldn’t I? I’ve been doing this for, like, two months. I got pretty good at it. Why are you asking me that? You’re definitely acting kind of weird.”

Twilight fumbled for an answer. “Uhh… umm… well—”

“You know what?” said Rainbow suddenly. “It’s probably nothing.” She waved her hoof dismissively. “Either way, I don’t really care. Let’s just go back to what we were doing before.”

“Right, of course,” said Twilight, putting on an unassuming smile. “Let’s do that.”

For a full minute the two ponies stood a few feet from each other, completely silently. Twilight let her eyes wander, taking in the surroundings fully now. It was amazing how complete the dream was. The sky was that perfectly beautiful shade of blue that Twilight loved so much, and the stray clouds that drifted by seemed to do so lazily, propelled only by the soft breeze that blew through the field. That breeze, in a similar fashion, also caused the flowers in the field to wave back and forth, welcoming almost in their own sort of fashion. Off in the distance, Twilight could make out a what looked like the edge of a forest, and perhaps the rim of a pond or maybe a lake. If she didn’t know any better, Twilight would’ve guessed she was just outside of Ponyville. Everything looked so oddly familiar, and yet so distant. It was an odd juxtaposition, one that she didn’t have time to think about because Rainbow was about to interrupt her thoughts.

Rainbow Dash stared at Twilight, her eyebrows raised. “Uhh, so any time now would be great.” She tapped her hoof impatiently.

Twilight’s eyes shot back and forth as she shuffled her hooves nervously. “Can you remind me what it is we were doing again? I forgot.” She chuckled awkwardly.

Rainbow sighed. “The same thing we always do, Twi. You were about to make me into a unicorn so I can do magic and stuff. That’s why this whole thing started in the first place, or don’t you remember?”

Twilight cocked her head to the side. “But… isn’t this your dream? Can’t you just do it yourself?”

“There you go asking weird questions again,” Rainbow laughed. “Of course I can do it myself. Like you said, it’s my dream. But that’s not how I want to do it. It’s too…” she made small circles with her hoof while her face contorted into into a look of concentration. “Easy,” she finished. “It’s too easy that way. It’s my dream, so I want you to do it, y’know, like you always do.”

Twilight felt her heart racing. She wasn’t sure why, but she suddenly felt excited. It was difficult to speak over the lump in her throat, but she managed to force out a couple of words. “So, uhh, how is that I normally do it?”

Rainbow shook her head, her mane bouncing lightly as she did. “Man, what is with you today, Twilight? Spacing out, forgetting things. It’s not like you. Well, since you’re just part of my mind, it’s more like it’s not like me, but still. It’s weird.” She rubbed her chin thoughtfully. “Maybe I wanged my head or something and forgot about it?” She shrugged. “Well, whatever, I’ll just chalk this up to dream weirdness. Anyway, normally what you do is put your forehead against mine and then do you magic whatever, then BAM! Unicorn.” She rubbed her hooves together like she was wiping something off of them. “Easy as that. There’s nothing to it.”

Twilight nodded. “Ah, I see. Sounds simple enough. I think I can do this.”

Rainbow grinned. “Ready when you are.”

Twilight took a few steps closer to Rainbow until she was face-to-face with her. The other mare’s grin split into a smile as Twilight got even closer to Rainbow. Her heart was pounding so loudly she was sure Rainbow could hear it. Each beat became more and more painful than the last as she edged closer. A soft gust of wind blew past, cutting right in between Rainbow and Twilight, playing with their manes. Only inches from her now, Twilight wondered why she felt so nervous. It’s not like she had never been this close to Rainbow before. She wasn’t ever this close to begin with since this was all a dream and Rainbow wasn’t real. Still though, she felt overcome with anxiety she couldn’t explain. She couldn’t even remember why she had entered Rainbow’s dream in the first place.

With a deep breath, Twilight placed her forehead against Rainbow’s. At first she tried to keep her eyes closed, but it was no use. She couldn’t help herself. She opened her eyes and found herself staring directly into Rainbow’s beautifully brilliant amethyst pools. She felt like she could drown in them they were so deep. Twilight’s eyes drifted downwards until she came upon Rainbow’s soft lips. It was then that she realized how close her own lips were to the other mare’s. She felt a sudden urge to have those soft lips pressed against her own, but she resisted, as much as she could anyway.

Her horn, rather than burst with life, slowly took on a muted glow. Magic flowed seamlessly from Twilight’s body into Rainbow’s. Like a river that had been recently freed from a dam, magic pouring into Rainbow with Twilight acting as the conduit. For what felt like a millenia, Twilight kept her head pressed against Rainbow’s, refusing to let go.

Once the spell had finally run its course, Twilight stepped back to admire Rainbow’s new form. With her wings gone now, Rainbow’s sides looked oddly bare, almost naked, but on her forehead a new appendage drew her attention. A thick blue horn jutted out from her head. Spirals ran along its length to the top where it ended in a dull point. Rainbow Dash grinned widely.

“Nailed it, Twi. This horn looks amazing!” Rainbow spun around, admiring her new horn. “Y’know, we may do this every week, but it’s always awesome. Like, I dunno, but something about this just feels… right, y’know? Oh, don’t get me wrong, I like my wings. Love them, in fact. But it’s nice to feel different every now and again. You look awesome too, by the way,” she added, motioning to Twilight.

Twilight gave Rainbow a puzzled expression, which Rainbow responded to by roller her shoulder blades. Twilight’s eyes went wide. She brought a hoof to her forehead and felt nothing but silky mane. Almost not believing it, she looked over her shoulder at her brand new pair of purple wings. She unfurled them, her eyes growing wider.

“But… how?” she asked, looking over to Rainbow.

Rainbow shrugged. “I’unno. You explained it way back the first time. Something about it being easier to just switch certain parts of our bodies than to make new ones. It made sense at the time.”

“Of course it did,” Twilight mumbled to herself. “It was all part of the dream, and dreams always make sense while you’re having them.”

“What was that, Twi? Couldn’t quite hear ya.”

Twilight smiled. “Oh, nothing. I was just saying how much I love my wings and your horn.”

Rainbow grinned. “Right? Aren’t they awesome? Hey!” she said suddenly, “check this out. I can totally change the color of all these flowers.” She licked her lips and stared intently at a patch of flowers a few feet away. Her eyes narrowed and she dug her teeth further into her lip in concentration.

Twilight watched her, but nothing happened. “Uhh…”

“What the heck?” Rainbow’s expression went from one of concentration to one of confusion. “Why can’t I feel anything? Normally the magic stuff starts to move into my horn whenever I concentrate on something, but nothing’s happening this time. What’s going on here?” She glanced over to Twilight who looked down at her hooves. “First, you space out for like a five minutes and I can’t get your attention. Then you start acting weird and asking questions you already know the answer to. Now this? What in the name of Celestia is going on in this dream?”

Twilight stared at her hooves, doing her best to come up with a satisfactory answer to Rainbow’s question. “Well, you see—”

“It’s gotta be something I did, right? I mean, this is my dream, isn’t it?”

“Well…”

“Well? Well, what?” Rainbow flung her hooves in the air. “Are you saying this isn’t my dream?”

“I’m not saying that.”

“Then what are you saying?”

“I… umm…”

Before Twilight could finish her sentence, the ground started to shake like an earthquake had just hit. Only, it felt like more than just the ground was shaking. The whole world was shaking. While Twilight was doing her best to keep her balance, she saw Rainbow standing opposite her completely unfazed, as if she didn’t even notice the whole world crumbling around her. The only emotion she showed was confusion, tinged with a bit of anger, or maybe pain. Twilight tried to say something to her, anything, but before she could even get one word out, Rainbow started to fade away. Her body became ethereal, misty almost, and she just started to disappear into nothingness.

Twilight, forgetting for a moment that everything was falling apart, and massive cracks were appearing in the sky and below their hooves, sprinted over to Rainbow, trying her best to grab her before she was gone. But she arrived too late. By the time Twilight’s hoof was reaching for Rainbow, the only thing she grasped was the air where the other mare used to be. A small “no” escaped Twilight’s lips. She looked around frantically, hoping Rainbow had only disappeared to another part of the dream, but all she saw was a crumbling world. Bits of the sky were falling down around her and a crevice had opened below her. She tried to jump out of the way, but she slipped on a piece of rubble and tumbled into the darkness.

Just like when she first entered the dream, she felt overwhelmed by vertigo, spinning around in circles, feeling nauseous as she fell further and further into the abyss. Again, just like before, she started to hear a voice calling out to her, but this time it wasn’t that soft, gentle voice she was expecting. The voice was loud and angry, and it echoed harshly in her ears. Another second passed and the darkness began to be replaced by light. Slowly, the world around her came into focus as she woke from the dream and opened her eyes to see a furious Rainbow Dash standing over her.

She felt something heavy hit her lap, and she pulled herself up to look at it. It was the book, the one she had used to help her enter Rainbow’s dream. Twilight picked up the book and looked at it. She could feel tears welling in her eyes. Tossing it aside, she looked up at Rainbow and said, “I can explain, Rainbow. Please, just let me explain!”

Rainbow shook her head fiercely. “No, I think I understand just fine.” She clicked her tongue. “I can’t believe I fell for your stupid tricks. I mean, how twisted do you have to be? Screwing with people’s dreams like that.”

“Rainbow, I wasn’t—”

“You weren’t what? Manipulating my dreams? Right, that’s why you have a book on how to do exactly that sitting on your desk open to the page about entering other people’s dreams. Because that’s exactly what you weren’t doing.” Rainbow laughed mirthlessly. “You’re unbelievable.”

Twilight, her eyes wet with tears, tried to stand up, to get closer to Rainbow, but the look on the other mare’s face kept her in place. “I’m sorry, Rainbow. I know it was wrong, but I—”

“Save it. I don’t want to hear your lies anymore.”

“Anymore? But I haven’t been lying to you.”

“Oh really? So how do you explain all the dreams I’ve been having over the past couple of months?” She held out a hoof, bobbing it up and down. “It’s always you, Twilight. Always. Every dream I have, you’re in it. It’s like I can’t get you off my mind.” Her eyes narrowed. “But now I know why. It was you all along. You’ve been manipulating my dreams since the beginning.”

“No, I promise. I wasn’t doing anything.”

“And I’m just supposed to believe that?” She shook her head, laughing. “I seriously can’t believe you, Twilight. First, you lie right to my face, then you turn right around and expect me to believe you? How stupid do you think I am? I mean, I know you think I’m not the smartest pony around, but even I can see that you’re full of it.”

Twilight wiped away fresh tears, saying, “Don’t say that, Rainbow. I would never lie to you. I wasn’t doing anything, I promise. You can ask Spike. He was with me the whole time.”

Rainbow looked around, then nodded. “Mhmm, and so that’s why he’s here right now, right? Is he hiding somewhere? Behind a bookshelf, maybe under your desk. Oh! Is he in the closet?”

“Well, he’s not here right now, but when he gets back he can tell you the truth,” Twilight said desperately. “Please, you have to believe me.”

Rainbow shook her head slowly. “No, I don’t have to do anything, Twilight. And I’m not gonna wait around for Spike to show up so he can lie to me too. Nothing against the little guy, but he is your assistant after all. If I can’t believe you, how am I supposed to believe him?”

Twilight’s eyes lit up. “Wait! I can show you all the notes I took during our sessions. That’ll prove I wasn’t doing anything!” She stood up and quickly moved to her desk. Before she could open the drawer however, Rainbow stopped her by slamming her hoof down on the desk.

“Don’t bother, Twi. I don’t want to see your notes. Besides, how do I even know you took them while I was sleeping? I don’t. You can’t prove that either.” She put her hoof back on the ground. “Y’know… I thought I liked you, Twilight. Like liked you. But I can see now that was all part of your plan. I don’t know what you were after, and I don’t care, but what I do know is that I don’t want to see you again.”

“Ever?”

Rainbow didn’t answer. She just turned away and started to walk up the stairs. A few steps up, she said, without turning around, “Oh, and by the way. Thanks for this.” She jabbed a hoof at her head.

Twilight followed her hoof. There, where there should’ve been nothing, was a horn. Just like in the dream. Twilight immediately looked at her side and saw that same pair of wings she had had in the dream. She looked back up just in time to see Rainbow pass out of her vision.

“Rainbow, wait! We have to fix this!”

“I am going to fix this. But it’s not going to be with your help,” came Rainbow’s voice from upstairs. A few seconds later, Twilight heard the door open, then slam shut.

Twilight waited for a few minutes in silence, hoping against hope that Rainbow would come back through that door and hear her out. But in her heart Twilight knew that wasn’t going to happen. She slumped into her chair and lay her head against the desk, crying into her hooves.

“How could I be so stupid!” she said, rapping her head against the desk. “I shouldn’t have done that. Not for any reason. She said she liked me, and now she’s gone. Why couldn’t I just ask her myself?” Twilight threw her hooves out, her left one knocking into something. She took her forehead off the desk and looked up. Rainbow’s bag was there. Just sitting on the edge of the desk looking as innocuous as can be. “Her bag?” Twilight mumbled. “She must’ve forgot it she was so angry.”

Without really thinking about why she was doing it, Twilight reached for Rainbow’s bag and pulled it over to her. Instinctively, she tried to use magic to open it, but realized quickly that she had forgotten a crucial detail. Rainbow Dash currently had the the horn that was supposed to be on her head. Shaking that thought out, Twilight used her hooves to clumsily open the bag and pull out Rainbow’s dream diary. She flipped past the pages she had already read, skimmed a few more, then stopped when she reached yesterday’s entry.

I had another dream about Twilight last night. You know, same as usual, nothing outta the ordinary there. I won’t go into detail since it’s pretty much the same as the last fifty dreams I’ve had, but anyway. I’ve been thinking a lot lately, a lot about these dreams I’ve been having. I mean, why always the same? Why always Twilight? I think I know the answer, but I’m not sure. When I see Twilight tomorrow, after our session, I'll ask her. I don’t know how she’ll respond, which I guess is the point of asking her in the first place, but something tells me that I’ll be okay. I don’t know. It’s just a feeling I guess, but it’s a good feeling. Like, I feel like things will work out in the end, even if Twilight doesn’t return my feelings. Well anyway, we’ll see, won’t we?

Oh yeah, remember last week when I told Twilight I was bringing those cloud pearls to Rarity? I don’t know why, but I lied to her. They weren’t really for my mother, or whatever I said. They’re for her. It’s weird. I don’t know why I did it, but I had the urge to do something for Twilight. You know, get something nice for her. I’m planning on giving it to her after I talk to her, regardless of the outcome. It’ll be a nice present even if she doesn’t feel the same way about me. I hope Rarity’s done making that necklace by now. She said it’d only take a week, but I wonder if managed it okay. Guess I’ll find out tomorrow, huh? Heh, kind of a lot of “finding out tomorrow” going on, isn’t there? Apparently tomorrow’s gonna be a big day for me. I suppose I should get ready for work now. Cloudchaser’s gonna be waiting for me down by the river. Well, I know this was a short entry, but that’s okay. I’m feeling too excited to write anything else down. I’ll let you know how everything goes tomorrow. Until then, see ya!

Twilight closed the diary and sighed. “How did everything go so wrong?” she asked herself out loud. “Oh, that’s right. You decided to be an idiot.” She rapped her hoof against her forehead. “Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” With another sigh, she placed her cheek against the diary and stared into some empty corner of the room. With her ear pressed against the book, she hoped that it would somehow gain sentience and tell her what to do. She briefly entertained the idea of writing Celestia for advice, but then realized that the ruler of Equestria probably had better things to do than deal with Twilight’s relationship problems.

Twilight turned to the other cheek and stared at the other side of the room. Only, instead of the walls she was expecting, she saw the green eyes and purple scales of a familiar dragon boy.

“Uhh, you okay there, Twilight?” Spike produced a bottle of Zap Apple jam and placed it on the desk. “I got what you were looking for.” Spike’s eyes narrowed. “Hang on a second… something’s different.” His eyes shot open. “Twilight! Where’s your horn, and why do you have wings?”

Twilight quickly sat up and pushed the diary aside. “Spike! You’re back! Maybe you can help me.”

“Sure, I can help you. Umm, but what is it I’m helping with again?”

Twilight bit her lip, unsure of how to explain everything. In the end, she just went with a breathless shotgun approach. “I read Rainbow Dash’s diary, found out she was dreaming about me, started having dreams about her myself, then decided that I needed to see her dreams for myself so I used a spell to enter her dream and when we woke, Rainbow found out I had been in her dream, thought I had been doing it all along and ran off furious with me for manipulating her dreams.”

Spike opened his mouth to answer, then shut it, holding up a finger. His mouth opened and closed a few more times before he finally said, “What?”

Twilight sighed. “Rainbow Dash thinks I’ve been manipulating her dreams to make it so that she likes me, so she ran off to who-knows-where and also she has my horn.”

“She has your horn?”

“Right, and I have her wings.”

“Umm… can I ask why?”

“It’s a long story.”

Spike nodded slowly. “I don’t think I wanna know anyway. So, what is it I’m helping you do?”

Twilight pushed herself away from the desk, stood up, and put on the bravest smile she could. “Win Rainbow Dash back, of course!”

Spike cracked open the bottle of Zap Apple jam, stuck his finger in and pulled out a big scoop. After stuffing it in his mouth, he said, “Well okay then. Let’s do this.”