• Published 12th Sep 2013
  • 3,114 Views, 536 Comments

The Diamond Exchange - angelbunny



Chaos ensues when Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon receive no punishment after a hurtful prank gets one of their classmates killed.

  • ...
18
 536
 3,114

Hungry

Author's Note:

Thought I'd be safe and throw in a gore tag.

Ponyville Hospital’s outpatient waiting area was bustling with activity. Silver Spoon did her best to weave through the chaotic flow of patients, nurses, and visitors walking through the halls in order to locate Diamond Tiara whose stitches had most likely been completed by now. She finally found her objective standing with her tail against the wall, presumably to hide her bandages.

“There you are!” barked Diamond Tiara as Silver Spoon approached her. “What kept you? I’ve been waiting here for ages!”

“Sorry,” said Silver Spoon. “I got held up at Carousel Boutique. Where’s your dad? Hasn’t he come back yet?”

“No... and I’m pretty steamed about it. You’d think he would’ve sent some of our servants for me from home... but nopony’s shown up since he ran off. I’m exhausted and half-starved. I’m too wealthy to be either of those – and right now, I’m both!”

“I know this isn’t the best place to sleep but they do have a cafeteria here.”

Diamond snorted in response.

“What’s wrong?” asked Silver Spoon. “Don’t you have an expense account at the cafeteria?”

“No,” muttered Diamond Tiara.

“Why not?”

“I never thought I’d need to have one here. Who visits a hospital for the cuisine?”

“Nopony that I know... but I have an account.”

Diamond Tiara’s eyes lit up.

“Seriously?” she asked.

“Yeah," replied Silver Spoon. "Let me buy you something to eat.”

Diamond Tiara frowned and puffed up her cheeks.

“No, thank you,” she said. “They had a chance to give me food on an IOU and they refused. Rut ‘em.”

“Didn’t they recognize you?” asked Silver Spoon.

“Yes – but they still refused to give me food without cash! So now I’m waiting until I get home and havc my supper rather than give those plotholes my business or yours.”

“Are you sure I can’t get you something? They have chocolate pudding.”

They have amazing looking chocolate pudding!” screeched Diamond Tiara. “It was the first thing I asked for!” She pouted and her eyes glistened mournfully as she recalled the dessert she was denied. “A layer of crumbled graham crackers on top with a layer of whipped cream on top of that? That’s genius! It should be a crime to keep such tasty treats out of my mouth! This shouldn’t be allowed to happen to me. This place should’ve been crawling with an entourage of ponies feeding me and taking me home the second my stitches were finished... yet here I am, being ignored by everypony like I was some rusty horseshoe on the side of the road.”

Silver Spoon closed her eyes and nuzzled her cheek against Diamond Tiara’s.

I’m here, Di,” she said softly. “Every cloud has a Silver Spoon.”

Diamond grinned and sighed as she returned the nuzzle.

“Sometimes I think you’re the only pony in this world who gives a damn about my pain, Silver Spoon.”

Silver Spoon had a pain of her own; a hunger pain. She wanted some pudding but she wasn’t going to buy any if Diamond Tiara was boycotting the cafeteria.

Diamond Tiara stepped back and turned until she was perpendicular to Silver Spoon in order to display her bandaged flank – along with the aluminum wheeled harness to which her hind legs were now strapped.

“Then there’s this stupid thing that I’m supposed to wear for three weeks straight,” she continued. “No rearing, walking or running using my hind legs and absolutely no sitting. You can imagine how much fun trips to the bathroom are gonna be.” She closed her eyes and sighed wearily. “I’m tired and frustrated... and I want to go home. I’d take a taxi carriage but they stink from all the unwashed plots of poor ponies that have been in those seats.” She pointed at Silver Spoon’s saddlebag with her right forehoof. “So let’s see the dress you got me.”

“Sure,” said Silver Spoon. She removed the dress from her saddlebag, a complimentary one which bore the Carousel Boutique logo on the flap. She stood on her hind legs and held the dress up to display it. “What do you think?”

Diamond Tiara raised an eyebrow.

“Why does it look like a wedding dress?” she asked.

“I was... wondering the same thing myself,” said Silver Spoon, smiling as she averted her eyes. “It’s pretty though, isn’t it?”

Diamond Tiara shrugged.

“As long as it’s fashionable and covers my plot along with most of my harness, I suppose I shouldn’t care what it resembles,” she said. “Help me put it on, would you? I can’t step into it with my hind legs and I don’t want to get it dirty by rolling over it so just put it on over my head. Take my tiara off first, though.”

Silver Spoon carefully removed her friend’s namesake with her mouth and held it in her teeth. She turned the dress upside down and slid it over Diamond Tiara’s head.

“I guess I don’t have to ask you if your shots hurt,” said Silver Spoon through her teeth as she continued to tug the dress down Diamond Tiara’s body. “Mine felt like the doctor was shoving the steeple of Town Hall into my face.”

“Oh, they hurt, all right,” said Diamond Tiara from beneath the dress. “All fourteen of them. The only thing more painful than the shots was the attack that brought us here in the first place... but I started to imagine how much worse I plan on making a certain out-of-work teacher suffer before she dies and that helped. I even started to smile by the eighth one.”

Butterflies bounced around Silver Spoon’s stomach walls. This talk of murder made her very uncomfortable.

“Y-You say that like you’re actually gonna kill her yourself,” she said followed by a dismissive chuckle. She spread her forehooves down the length of Diamond Tiara’s trunk to smooth the dress out over the harness.

Diamond Tiara looked around to see if anypony was eavesdropping on them before answering Silver Spoon.

“I told you that I would,” she said softly. “Did you think I was kidding? It’s a miracle I didn’t go into shock from the wounds Miss Cheerilee inflicted on me. I could have lost consciousness and never woke up again – but I’m still here because fate has bigger plans in store for me. I’m meant to do something great in the future. I don’t know what that thing is – yet. But mark my words, I will deal with Miss Cheerilee myself when the time is right. It’s just a matter of figuring out the most painful method and how to get away with it. She’ll no doubt get the maximum sentence for two counts of abuse of a minor but once she’s served her time, she’ll wish she had been given life behind bars.”

Say something, you big chicken, thought Silver Spoon to herself. Tell her it’s wrong. Tell her you don’t want to see her go to jail if she gets caught. Tell her that Miss Cheerilee’s punishment is in the hooves of the law and that she should leave it at that. There’s nothing wrong with saying that. It’s like Pinkie Pie said: you have to save her from herself.

“I... I have some bad news,” said Silver Spoon, settling for changing the subject rather than confronting Diamond Tiara about sparing Miss Cheerilee’s life. “I got a telegram from my dad in Canterlot. He heard about Miss Cheerilee’s attack on us... and he’s pulling me out of Ponyville Elementary. I’m gonna be homeschooled by a private tutor from now on.”

“Tchah! Homeschooling’s for slow kids and the socially awkward! It’s like your dad’s punishing you for getting attacked! Wait... don’t tell me that you’re actually going along with this?”

“I don’t have a choice.” Silver Spoon made the final adjustments to the dress and returned the tiara to Diamond’s head. “Well, I do but not really. My only other option is to go to some finishing school in Canterlot... but there’s no way I’m leaving Ponyville. I want to stay here with you – even if we’ll only get to see each other on weekends and summers until graduation.” She hung her head and sighed.

Diamond Tiara held her chin in her right forehoof in contemplation.

“Okay – this isn’t the end of the world,” she said. “There’s actually a very simple solution to this.”

“There is?” asked Silver Spoon, lifting her head. “What is it?”

Diamond Tiara smirked and placed her right foreleg behind Silver Spoon’s neck.

“I’ll have my dad transfer me out of Ponyville Elementary so that I can attend classes alongside you,” she replied. “It’ll be like being in a two-student classroom. We’ll make homeschooling cool again... assuming it was ever cool to begin with.”

Silver Spoon smiled as her eyes began to well up with tears of joy.

“You’d... leave school voluntarily... for me?” she asked.

“Of course I would,” said Diamond Tiara. “With Rumble gone, you’re the only other student in that school who’s worth a damn.” Seeing her friend’s tears made her roll her eyes and shake her head. “Do you have to cry over every little thing, Sil?”

“I can’t help it.” Silver Spoon sniffled and lifted her glasses to dry her eyes. “Sacrificing your normal graduation day just so I won’t have to be alone... You have, like, no idea how much this means to me.”

“Yeah, well, the way I see it, those losers didn’t lift a hoof to help me when I was being attacked. They don’t deserve to have Ponyville’s two finest fillies in their ranks. They can all go bite a hydra’s ballsack for all I care.” Diamond Tiara broke out into a giggle fit. “Hey, if they bit off one of the hydra’s balls, do you think two more would grow back? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!”

Silver Spoon reared her head back and joined Diamond Tiara in a hearty laugh. Her guilt over Twist aside, she felt good again. And having Diamond Tiara visit her home every weekday morning was going to be like receiving a daily Hearth’s Warming Eve present. As far as Diamond Tiara’s plans to kill Miss Cheerilee were concerned, Silver Spoon was convinced that, just like the future regicide, time was on her side. With a little effort, she felt she could soften Diamond Tiara’s heart with friendship and get her to forsake her murderous plans.

One day at a time, thought Silver Spoon. We’ll take things one day at a time.

“You stuck by me in my darkest hour like a true friend, Silver Spoon,” said Diamond Tiara, “so now it’s my turn to stick by you.” She walked closer to her and smiled as she held Silver Spoon’s chin with her right forehoof. “And to think that just a second ago you were wrinkling up that pretty face of yours with worry.”

“Yeah, I was...” Silver Spoon’s pupils shrank with astonishment and she blushed as her heart skipped a beat. “Wait – did you just say that I had... a pretty face?”

“Is that what I said?” asked Diamond Tiara as she cast her eyes upward and held a hoof to her lips. “What I meant to say was that you had... a kissable face.” She batted her eyelashes, puckered her lips, and kissed the air between herself and Silver Spoon. “Mwah-mwah-mwah-mwah-mwah-mwah.”

Silver Spoon’s mood soured significantly upon hearing Diamond Tiara’s exaggerated smooching. She frowned and sighed.

“Oh,” she said. “You were teasing me – again.”

“Well, come on, Silver,” said Diamond Tiara. “I’m gonna need somepony to tease if we’re gonna be riding blank flank free from now on. I just figured I’d get a head start before our homeschooling starts. Being a good sport about it is the least you can do.”

Silver Spoon smiled mischievously.

“Y’know, I might feel the need to tease my only other classmate, too,” she said.

“Hmph, then take your best shot,” challenged Diamond Tiara. “I’m unflappable.”

Silver Spoon raised an eyebrow and smiled with her lower lip held between her teeth.

“Mayyyybeeeee,” she conceded, “...but you’re not unrollable.” Acting quickly, Silver Spoon stood upright, lifted Diamond Tiara’s forelegs off the floor, and ran down the hall, pushing her friend along like a grocery cart. The casters on Diamond Tiara’s harness squeaked as their wheels spun at a speed greater than they were intended to spin. Diamond Tiara’s mouth hung open in a smile, amused and surprised by Silver Spoon’s audacity.

Aaaaaaaaah!” squealed Diamond Tiara. “Silverrrr! Stooooop! Ha ha ha! Put me dowwwn!” She made no effort to free herself. At the speed at which they were traveling, forcing her way out could lead to a spin out and a crash.

“Not until you say ‘My name is Diamond Wheelbarrow’ out loud for everypony to hear,” declared Silver Spoon.

There’s no way I’m gonna say that!” said Diamond Tiara.

“Don’t care for that? All right, then – tell me what you did to punish me on the night of our sleepover.”

Nooooooooo-ho-ho-ho!” Diamond continued to giggle in spite of her protests. “Come on, Sil, cut it out! This is dangerous! You might ram my plot into somepony and pop my stitches!

“Oh, sure, play on my sympathy, why don’t you?”

Silver slowed down and, after coming to a stop, set Diamond Tiara’s forelegs back on the floor.

“You may have won this round, Di,” panted Silver Spoon with a determined smile, “but rest assured, I will get that secret out of you one day.”

Diamond Tiara grinned confidently as she caught her breath and fixed her mane and tail.

“And I say that I’ll take it to my...” A sudden burst of noise and activity emerged from behind her. “...grave?” She turned her head to see what the commotion was about while Silver Spoon craned her neck out to the left to get a better view.

A gurney carrying an obviously occupied body bag was being wheeled through the hospital’s main entrance by emergency response personnel as well as several police officers. The gurney was being mobbed by a flock of curiosity seekers and news reporters who were bombarding the officers with nosy questions and flashbulb lights as they took as many photos as they could. Silver Spoon, conditioned to protect herself from flashbulbs, quickly turned her head, closed her eyes, and shielded her face with her foreleg.

Diamond Tiara saw a blue-coated filly among the crowd and she walked over to her. Silver Spoon followed, averting her eyes as she walked.

“What’s going on?” asked Diamond Tiara.

“That’s the body,” said the blue filly.

“That’s whose body?” asked Silver Spoon.

“Haven’t you heard?” asked the blue filly. “Somepony killed the town schoolteacher at a hotel early this afternoon – the murderer bashed her head in with a croquet mallet. They say that her skull looked like a dropped bowl of spaghetti. Gross, huh?”

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon’s jaws dropped. They looked at one another and then at the filly.

This town’s schoolteacher??” asked Silver Spoon as she gulped. “D-Do you mean... M-Miss Cheerilee??”

“Miss Cheerilee!” echoed the blue filly. “That was her name! Boy, that was driving me crazy! Yeah, that’s her. Did you know her?”

Silver Spoon didn’t reply, nor did Diamond Tiara who slowly walked over to the window by the entrance where the police wagon was parked. The blue filly shrugged off the strangers’ disinterest in a reply and followed the rest of the curiosity seekers who were tailing the gurney on its trip to the hospital’s morgue.

“Twist attacks me,” said Diamond Tiara, “I say that she’s dead... and then she dies the same day. Miss Cheerilee attacks me, I say that she’s dead... and then she dies the same day.” A smile formed slowly on her face. “This... is... AWESOME! Sure, I wanted Miss Cheerilee to suffer first but what her death lacked in torment, it made up for in efficiency! Two ponies that I wanted dead are gone within hours... all because I said so! I’m two for two!”

Diamond Tiara tilted her head from side to side and danced using her forelegs. She stopped moving and frowned, looking around as though something was missing.

“Hey!” exclaimed Diamond Tiara. “I’m trying to sing a song. Where’s my BGM?”

“You want to sing a song with musical accompaniment, you need to go over there,” said a donkey janitor as he pointed a hoof to an area down the corridor. “You’re in a no background music zone. Magically enforced.” He pointed another hoof at a nearby sign with a red circle and a line over a silhouette of an open-mouthed pony and a musical note coming from its mouth.

“Oh,” said Diamond Tiara. “Lame but... whatever.” She ran over to the designated area for singing. When she arrived, a bouncy showtunesque piano piece started up. “There’s my BGM.” She resumed her dancing and head tilting as she waited for her cue to jump in and sing.

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII’m two for twooooo
I do not mean to boast but I am two for twooooo
My enemies are toast
Did you hear what she saaaid?
Miss Cheerilee is deaaad
Somepony took a mallet and they smashed her stupid head
I’m two for twooooo
And if you think that’s bunk, have I got newwws forrrrr youuuuu
Cuz if you mess with me, you’ll be body number three because I’m
Twooooooooooooooooo
forrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
twooooooooooooooooo!
Who’s next?

Diamond Tiara basked in her budding body count and smiled at the prospect of bringing it even higher.

“This couldn’t have happened by chance, Silver Spoon,” she said, tilting her head back and looking at the ceiling. “This happened because I made it happen. Fate has given me the ability to wield magic: the magic of death. This isn’t Celestia’s will... and that makes it even more awesome.” She giggled at the thought. “Now that Miss Cheerilee’s ticket is punched, who should I wish dead next? Oh, I have so many grudges against so many ponies that I can’t decide who should die first! Should it be Apple Bloom? That turncoat ex-friend of ours Babs? Derpy? Pinkie Pie? Oh, but wait. What if it only works if I have to be attacked by that pony first? Ugh. That would suck. It’d narrow down my choices, too. I can’t think of anypony I want dead badly enough to get my plot beat by them beforehoof.”

Diamond Tiara had been expecting some kind of reply from Silver Spoon but her friend was oddly silent. She turned around and saw that she had been speaking to herself the whole time. Silver Spoon was nowhere to be found.

“Silver?” called out Diamond Tiara as she scanned the immediate area for her friend. “Silver Spoon? Where the Tartarus did you go?”


Silver Spoon wept as she sat in a taxi carriage en route to her home. She had slipped away unnoticed when Diamond Tiara started to sing. The abuse she had endured notwithstanding, Silver Spoon remembered Miss Cheerilee as sweet and kind – and she would be missed terribly. Despite trying to hold it together, a sob burst forth from Silver Spoon’s lungs and she stopped running long enough to lift her glasses and wipe her eyes. Would Miss Cheerilee have been where she had been at the time of her death if Silver Spoon had prevented Diamond Tiara from dropping the bag on Twist? The thought that Miss Cheerilee’s death could be traced back to herself sent Silver Spoon into a fit of weeping. One death on her conscience was already more than she wanted.

But Silver Spoon didn’t weep out of bereavement and guilt alone.

Miss Cheerilee’s death was a tragedy. Everypony in town who knew her would be in mourning – except for the pony who was celebrating the demise instead – musically, too. To Silver Spoon, that was more than disrespectful. It was repulsive. She had always felt that her love for Diamond Tiara was unconditional. Now she knew that there was a prerequisite for her affection: not behaving like a coldblooded, insensitive douchebag.

Silver Spoon made a decision when she fled the hospital. This decision terrified her because of what it might mean and how it could tear her life apart if it went badly. She would stage an intervention for Diamond Tiara. If it succeeded, then all would be well.

If it failed – then a certain frog was going to have to learn how to swim without a certain scorpion on her back.

“Excuse me, sir,” said Silver Spoon, “but I’ve changed my mind. Could you please take me to the west side of the lake instead?”

“Sure thing, miss,” said the cabbie. “Are you okay?”

“No, not really. That’s why I’m switching destinations. I need to see... a friend.”

She looked around to see if Diamond Tiara had somehow caught up to her. When the coast was clear, she removed a plastic spoon and a pudding cup from her saddlebag.


Diamond Tiara paced back and forth in the hospital outpatient waiting area. It had been well over a half hour since Silver Spoon ran off and she was irate that nopony else had come for her. It was now dark out and she refused to walk all the way home unescorted. She had faith that her father would send somepony for her just as he always had in the past. Had she not been told about Miss Cheerilee’s murder, she would have been in a much fouler mood.

To pass the time, she pictured how viciously the murderer must have struck Miss Cheerilee in order to cave in the mare’s skull.

Ignoring her cries of pain. Not letting up. Showing no mercy.

Diamond Tiara certainly knew what it felt like to be on the receiving end of such treatment and as she pictured Miss Cheerilee’s ordeal a bit too vividly, the tiniest wave of sympathy tugged at her stomach – but only for a moment. She convinced herself that there was a big difference between the two attacks: Miss Cheerilee’s death was wholly deserved whereas her own beating was unwarranted. Diamond Tiara knew in her heart that she had never provoked anypony – physically. It was Miss Cheerilee’s own fault; had she not lost her temper and taught class as normal, she wouldn’t have left the schoolhouse until after three o’clock and never would have been in that part of town at that time of day to encounter her murderer.

“The police said that they have the murderer in custody,” said a voice.

Diamond Tiara’s ear rotated as she caught a conversation between an old stallion and an old mare.

“Already?" asked the mare. "That was quick.”

“Apparently he never left the scene of the crime," said the stallion. "He waited for the cops to show and he surrendered without resisting arrest.”

“He should’ve run. Poor sap must not have known that he could be banished from Equestria for murder. Who was it?”

“That’s the biggest surprise yet. It was Filthy Rich, the owner of Rich's Barnyard Bargains.”

Diamond Tiara frowned.

“Are you serious?" asked the mare. "My therapist’s nephew’s the manager of the Barnyard Bargains back home.”

Diamond Tiara approached the couple.

"Hey, you," she said. The couple turned to look at her.

“Well, hi there, little filly," said the stallion. "Did somepony leave you at the altar?”

“Eh-heh-heh-heh... No... and you’re not very funny if you have to malign a stallion like Filthy Rich to get your laughs.”

"Malign? You've got quite the vocabulary for such a small foal. Anyway, the reason I’m not funny is because I wasn’t joking. That’s who I was told the murderer was.”

“Then you heard wrong! My dad wouldn’t hurt a fly!”

“Filthy Rich is your dad?”

“Uh, yes! You must not be from around here. Don’t you know who I am?”

“You know, I think I do know you. Diamond Tiara, right?”

Diamond Tiara smirked.

“That's right,” she replied.

“Didn’t you throw a filly in front of a train not long ago?” asked the stallion.

Diamond Tiara flinched. Just how much longer would she have to be associated with Twist’s accident?

“Wait, she killed a filly and she’s walking free?” asked the mare.

“If she’s Filthy Rich’s daughter, she can afford good legal representation,” said the stallion.

“Huh. I guess it’s true what they say: the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.”

Diamond Tiara snarled.

“How would both of you like to hit me?” asked Diamond Tiara through clenched teeth. “Just once. Right here.” She tapped her right forehoof against her face.

“Mistress!” said a voice from behind her.

Diamond Tiara turned her head and saw the owner of that voice.

“Randolph!” she cried.

“My apologies, Mistress,” said Randolph. “I waited at the spa for your arrival then I – uh!” His train of thought was derailed as Diamond Tiara tugged on his saddlebag and dug through it in search of something. “... then I heard about your hospitalization and I made my way here as soon as I could.” Diamond Tiara found what she was looking for: a container of pink frosted oatmeal cookies. She stuffed her face with as many cookies as she could fit into her mouth and chewed happily.

“Wandowph.” Crumbs flew from her mouth as she spoke with her mouth full. She pointed her right forehoof at the old couple. “Veev ftupid poniev fink my dad kiwwed Miff Cheewiwee.” She swallowed the mouthful of cookie mush. “Have you ever heard anything so ludicrous? Please inform these peons just how mistaken they are to even think such a thing.”

Randolph blinked.

“Let’s get you home, Mistress,” he said. “I’ve got the carriage double parked outside.” He began to walk toward the exit.

“Randolph," said Diamond Tiara, as she followed him. "I gave you an order. My dad pays you good money to do nothing but carry out our orders. Unless you want to be fired for insubordination, I expect you to do as I say.”

“I could carry out your order, Mistress... but then I’d be the one who was mistaken.”

“What are you...?”

Diamond Tiara’s pupils narrowed as she deciphered her butler’s mildly cryptic statement. She knew that Randolph knew better than to mislead her. She looked back at the couple with whom she had a conversation and then back at Randolph. The aged stallion was facing forward as he walked to the parking lot. He was all business, doing and saying nothing to console her. He was simply doing what he was paid to do and nothing more.

With her head hung low, Diamond Tiara followed her butler. Silently.

Knowing that her father would not be coming home made her sick to her stomach. Her attitude had abandoned her. Her friend Silver Spoon had abandoned her. All she had was a bag of cookies and an old butler who was taking her to an empty mansion. She took a quick mental inventory of the things that she felt were the most important to her. As each one came to mind, she measured it against the stallion who she had loved since she was a tiny foal and they all paled in significance. She envisioned his kind eyes, his warm smile, and his gentle demeanor – but she couldn’t bring herself to envision him locked away in a cell with common gutter trash ponies. Doing so broke her heart.

There was no mystery as to why her father had killed Miss Cheerilee. Just like he had chased away the scary foal-eating monsters living under her bed when she was a little filly, he played the role of her hero once more and dealt with a new monster, one that was more palpable than the imaginary ones.

There was also no mystery as to the pony most responsible for creating that monster.

She followed the sound of Randolph’s hoofsteps since her vision had become too warped with tears to reply on her sight.

What have I done? she wondered as she wept.


The magical ashes of Princess Twilight Sparkle’s dragon-incinerated message to Princess Celestia flew through the window of the castle and vanished into the moonlit sky. Twilight, along with Spike, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, were having a late night meeting to discuss the recent goings-on in Ponyville.

“There,” said Spike. “It’s on its way.”

“Thanks, Spike,” said Twilight. “I hate to cut Princess Celestia’s visit to Saddle Arabia short almost as much as I hate to keep you up past your bedtime... but I know that she’d want to be made aware of this and return to Equestria.”

Spike's ear spines drooped.

“I still can’t believe Cheerilee’s... gone,” he said softly.

“I know how you feel," said Twilight. "Cheerilee was one of the nicest and most intelligent mares I’ve ever met. And Filthy Rich was... well, I guess there’s no point in saying anything nice about him now. I just never would have guessed that he had it in him to take a life.”

“Me neither,” said Applejack, “...an’ his family’s done business with mine fer generations. The Riches’ve always been salt o’ the earth Ponyville folk, same as the Apples... well, at least until now.”

“I never met Filthy Rich.” said Spike, “but how could he... how could anypony... do what he did?”

Twilight held Spike gently in her foreleg.

“Are you going to be okay, Spike?” asked Fluttershy.

“I want to say yes,” replied Spike, “but... okay, so I know we’ve all faced dangerous villains before... but it was never one of our own neighbors. If this could happen out of the blue to a pony as beloved as Cheerilee, who’s to say that it couldn’t happen to one of you guys? And Pinkie Pie is-”

Twilight nuzzled her number one assistant.

“Shh... Hey, look at me,” she said. Spike looked up at Twilight. “We appreciate you worrying about us but we can take care of ourselves... and we will find Pinkie Pie. Would you like me to tuck you into bed?”

Spike nodded.

“G’night, everypony,” said Spike, waving his claw at his pony friends.

“G’night, Spike,” said Rainbow Dash. The others chimed in and wished Spike a good night simultaneously as both he and Twilight left the room. Moments later, Twilight returned.

“Okay,” she said, “I kept Spike in the dark about some of the more gruesome details but there’s more to it than what you heard so brace yourselves. Cheerilee wasn’t just murdered randomly. From the looks of it, she was also marenapped and held against her will. When the police found her body, they say her legs were bound with duct tape and that she was chained to a radiator.”

“Good heavens,” said Rarity.

“Ah think ah’m gonna be sick,” said Applejack.

“Oh, poor Cheerilee,” said Fluttershy. “She must’ve been so scared.”

“How brave do you have to be to beat on a mare who can’t defend herself?” asked Rainbow Dash. “I’d like to see him try to get the drop on me.” She threw a few of her best karate combination punches. “That no-good son of a mule.”

“Rainbow!” shouted Twilight. “How many times have I told you not to put down mules like that?”

“Oh. Yeah. Sorry, Twilight.”

“Uhhh! I don’t know how that ridiculous expression ever found its way into the Equestrian lexicon. Everypony knows mules can’t have offspring.” Twilight did a double take as the expressions on her friends’ faces led her to believe that perhaps not everypony was aware of the sterility of mules. “Wait, you did know that – didn’t you?”

“Sure, I did,” said Rainbow Dash with a guilty smile. “Heh. Common knowledge, really.”

“Of course, darling,” said Rarity, looking away.

“Does a bear spit in the woods?” asked Fluttershy rhetorically.

“Ah didn't know that,” admitted Applejack, pulling her hat over her red face. “I tell ya, some days it just don’t pay ta be the spirit of the Element o’ Honesty.”

“On to our next order of business,” said Twilight. “Pinkie Pie. Who here saw her last?”

“I did,” said Fluttershy, “but I have no idea where she could be now. The Cakes said that she didn’t come home for lunch or dinner. I took Gummy with me and left him back home with Angel, just in case... and he only bit me once. Um, Gummy, not Angel. Oh, but there’s something I haven’t told you. Something scary. When Pinkie ran off... she was shedding tears of b-b-blood.”

“Blood?” asked Applejack.

“No wonder she ran away,” said Rainbow Dash. “Who wouldn’t be freaked out by something like that?”

“Girls? I’ve seen Pinkie Pie cry blood tears once before.”

“Oh? When?”

“On the day that Twist died. Pinkie told me that she saw a doctor and that she was given a clean bill of health. Since she never brought it up again, I assumed that this was an isolated incident. Obviously, that’s not the case. I thought that it might have been a Pinkie sense but for what, neither of us knew.”

Twilight gasped.

“Wait a second. If it happened on the day that Twist died and then again today when Miss Cheerilee died...”

Rarity gasped.

“Oh, my stars,” she said. “She has a Pinkie sense...”

“...that tells her when somepony’s died,” said Twilight.

“But that doesn’t add up,” said Applejack. “Ah’ve been Pinkie’s friend since we were young’uns an’ ah ain’t never once seen her cry blood tears. An’ there must’ve been hundreds o’ ponies throughout Equestria who’ve passed on durin’ that time.”

“Maybe it’s just limited to deaths that happen within a one mile radius or something?” proposed Rainbow Dash.

“There’s no way to know for sure,” said Twilight. “What we can assume is that Pinkie Pie’s scared out of her wits. We need to find her and fast.”

“Oh, my,” said Rarity, “I do believe that... I’m about to faint... uh-h-h...” Rarity listed to her left, then swayed to her right – and as her eyes closed and her legs gave out, she fell into the waiting forelegs of Fluttershy who caught her before she hit the floor. Rarity’s eyes reopened with narrow pupils. She lifted her left forehoof to her face and stopped up her nose. She quickly distanced herself from Fluttershy. “EWWW! Fluddershy! Whyever do you sbell like vobit?”

“Oh! I’m so sorry about that,” said Fluttershy as she blushed and cowered in shame. “When I-” Fluttershy held her tongue as Rainbow Dash approached her and took a whiff.

“EWWW!” cried Rainbow Dash as she recoiled from Fluttershy and coughed. “She does!”

“Hold on a second,” said Applejack. “Rainbow, Rarity just said that Fluttershy smelled like vomit... an’ that made ya wanna run up ta Fluttershy and smell her fer yerself?” asked Applejack. “Why wouldja do that? Shouldn’t the word ‘vomit’ have tipped ya off ta do the exact opposite o’ whatcha did? Didja not believe her or somethin’?”

Rainbow Dash blushed.

“I... Oh, get off my back, would you, AJ?” she spat. “I do what I want.”

“Y’know, ah have some pig manure back at the farm,” said Applejack as she smirked and patted Rainbow Dash on the shoulder condescendingly. “Ah’d tell ya it smells like pig manure but, uh... ah’ll let you be the judge since ah don’t wanna spoil yer fun.”

“I don’t need to smell pig manure, Applejack,” grumbled Rainbow Dash as she shoved Applejack’s foreleg away angrily. “Not when I can smell your breath just fine.”

Applejack gasped and then frowned.

“Why, you little-”

Applejack charged at Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash took a karate stance.

No contact was made. Twilight levitated both mares and moved them apart.

“Focus, guys," said Twilight sternly. "We’ve got a missing friend on our hooves. This is no time for squabbling.”

“She started it!” said Rainbow Dash.

“Did not!” said Applejack.

“I DON’T CARE WHO STARTED IT!” shouted Twilight in a Royal Canterlot Voice. “IT TAKES TWO TO TANGO! NOW WHY DON’T YOU TWO START PRETENDING THAT I’M A PRINCESS LONG ENOUGH TO DECIDE ON YOUR OWN TO STOP FIGHTING IN FRONT OF ME INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR ME TO TELL YOU?! AND BEFORE EITHER OF YOU MAKE A JOKE ABOUT IT, YES, I AM PREMENSTRUAL!!”

Rainbow Dash and Applejack stared at Twilight, frightened into silence.

“That’s better,” said Twilight. She coughed and held her left forehoof over her nose. “Okay, whew, I just got a whiff of you, Fluttershy. Why do you smell like vomit anyway?” Twilight spread her wings and fanned the scent away from herself.

“When I carried Mayor Mare to the hospital, she threw up on me,” said Fluttershy. “A lot. That might explain why Gummy stopped biting me after the first munch. Anyway, that was when Rainbow Dash found me and told me that Miss Cheerilee’s body was found. I flew so fast to keep up with her that the air must have dried me off. With so many things happening all at once, I haven’t had a chance to shower off yet.”

“Absolutely unacceptable!” Rarity levitated a long handled scrub brush and produced a large washtub filled with soapy water from a compartment beneath her throne.

“You keep a... tub filled with soap and water... on standby?” asked Fluttershy.

“No excuses! We must remedy that offensive odor at once! Get in.”

Fluttershy gave her friend an offended look.

“I’m not a foal, Rarity,” she said. “I can wash mysel-”

“NOWWWW!” shouted Rarity.

Fluttershy squeaked and obediently hopped into the tub. Rarity levitated Fluttershy’s mane and tied her hair up in a bun before scrubbing her back rigorously with the bath brush.

“I’d like nothing more than to lead the search for Pinkie Pie myself,” said Twilight, “but as the resident princess, I’m needed here at the castle. Rainbow Dash? You team up with Applejack. Fluttershy, you team up with Rarity. A pegasus per team. If there’s any news, I want you to fly back here and report your findings to me.”

“I’m scared,” said Fluttershy.

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy,” said Rarity. “Filthy Rich is in custody for now. He won’t be swinging a mallet for a long time.”

“I’m not scared of him. I’m scared for him.”

“Fluttershy, he’s a murderer,” said Rainbow Dash.

“He’s still a pony, Rainbow Dash, and he must be frightened right about now. Taken away from his friends and family. He may never get to see his daughter again.”

“He won’t be convicted for this,” said Rarity.

“What makes you think he won’t get convicted?” asked Rainbow Dash. “He was caught redhoofed.”

“He’s wealthy. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon weren’t penalized for their involvement in Twist’s death, remember? The wealthy have ways of getting around the law.”

“Not this time,” said Twilight. “I’ve done some research. In serious cases such as this, a princess has the right to step in and act as judge. I’m sure that once Princess Celestia gets back from Saddle Arabia, she’ll appoint herself as judge so that there’s no possibility of a payoff.”

“Oh mah stars!” yelped Applejack. “Big Macintosh!”

Aaaah!” squealed Fluttershy as she covered her torso with her forelegs. “Where? Send him away! I’m bathing!

Rainbow Dash facehoofed.

“He ain’t here, Fluttershy,” said Applejack. “He was sweet on Cheerilee once upon a time. When he hears Filthy Rich killed ‘er, he’ll go plum loco! He’s liable ta go down ta the police station and bend them iron bars open ta wring Filthy Rich’s neck! They’ll be forced ta beat ‘im down an’ arrest ‘im an’...” Applejack trotted in place nervously. “Ah am so sorry, gals, but ah can’t join ya on your search fer Pinkie. I gotta go back home right now an’ talk him down. Maybe if he hears it from me an’ ah break it to ‘im all gentlelike, he won’t be quite so sore.”

“It’s okay, Applejack,” said Twilight. “We understand that your family comes first... and at least we’ll know where to find you if we need to.”

“Good luck with findin’ Pinkie Pie, guys,” said Applejack as she ran for the door. “Don’t hesitate ta come on down ta the farm an’ let me know if you’ve found her.”


Pinkie Pie zipped from bush to bush as she made her way through the Everfree Forest. The woods were always dangerous but they were doubly so at night. She was still wearing the mask she had taken from Cheerilee’s wall earlier. It made her feel stealthy, even dangerous. A part of her wanted some ferocious creature to cross her path so that she could convert some of her recent anguish into fighting spirit.

However, Pinkie wasn’t in the Everfree Forest tonight to tangle with manticores or cockatrices. She was taking the path to Zecora’s hut to pay the zebra herbalist a visit. If anyone in Equestria could help her decipher and/or extinguish this frightening new Pinkie sense, it was Zecora.

“Zecoraaaa,” called out Pinkie as she knocked on her door. She attempted to open the door and found that it wasn’t locked. It made sense. Who would dare venture this far into the forest apart from Zecora and those wishing to meet with her? Pinkie decided to let herself in and wait for Zecora to return.

She took a seat and spotted a bottle on the fireplace. She recognized it as the leftover potion that Twilight used to see the past when Princess Celestia and Princess Luna went missing. Zecora said that she didn’t dare try to use the potion herself. Pinkie, on the other hoof, was a born daredevil. She wanted to drink the potion herself and see the past as vividly as Twilight claimed to have seen it. Perhaps the potion could clue her in as to why she had this new blood-transferring Pinkie sense. Or perhaps the potion could poison her. She dismissed that notion quickly. Why would Zecora keep poisons in her home? And if Zecora had no plans on using it herself, she certainly wouldn’t miss it if it were to disappear.

“Hmmm... Should I? Or shouldn’t I?” she asked herself. “I don’t usually help myself to food or drink that doesn’t belong to me. Wait, what am I saying? Of course I do.”

Pinkie lifted her mask, drank every last drop of the potion, set the bottle down, and returned the mask to her face.

She smacked her lips. The potion didn’t taste anything at all like what she was expecting. The flavor was reminiscent of black coffee and its consistency was water thin. She sat on the floor and wondered which era of the past she would see. She remembered there was a slight delay before the potion took effect on Twilight and so Pinkie prepared herself for the trip through time.

Ten times that amount of time came and went, all with no magical trip to the past.

“Guess it must have exceeded its expiration date,” she said with a disappointed sigh.

Pinkie Pie noticed that she was starting to tremble. It wasn’t a doozy shiver. She was just cold. The fireplace wasn’t lit and the candles around the hut were not up to the task of creating enough heat to fend off the chilly night air. Pinkie chose not to start a fire since she didn’t want to alarm Zecora by having her return from her outing to find smoke coming from her chimney. She walked over to a coat rack where she found one of Zecora’s spare cloaks. She put it on and felt much warmer.

Pinkie looked around at all of the decorative wooden masks hanging on the walls of the hut. She removed what looked like a timberwolf mask off the wall and brought it to a mirror. She removed the comedy mask, put on the timberwolf mask and looked in the mirror. She growled and howled but she was no Rainbow Dash. She removed the wooden mask, set it down, and looked at herself in the mirror. Trails of dried blood remained on her face from when she shed the crimson tears back in Cheerilee’s house. As Pinkie started to rub the blood from her cheeks, she wondered why she had shed Twist’s blood a second time.

Pinkie’s hoof came in contact with the blood and she gasped as she suddenly found herself not in Zecora’s primitive hut but in some room in a mordern building of some sort. The room was furnished with an easy chair, a bed, a lamp and a nightstand.

“Holy moley, the potion worked!” exclaimed Pinkie excitedly. “This place doesn’t look very ancient. I must not have traveled back that far in time.” Pinkie sniffed the air and wrinkled her nose. “Ew... something smells like pee in here.”

Pinkie heard a whimper and then a muffled scream. She walked to the far side of the bed and shrieked as she saw her friend Cheerilee writhing on the floor. The purple mare had been chained to a radiator. She was crying and struggling to free herself from duct tape that somepony had wrapped around her mouth and ankles. The

“Oh, my gosh!” said Pinkie. “Cheerilee! What happened?” Opening her mouth, Pinkie leaned in to bite and remove the tape that had been stuck on Cheerilee’s mouth. Her snout passed through Cheerilee’s face as though she was a ghost. Pinkie tried again and found that she couldn’t touch Cheerilee at all. She stood up straight and whimpered.

“What’s going on?” asked Pinkie. “Why can’t I... oh, no... If this is the past, then this has already happened... and I can’t do anything about it. But when did this happen? Oh, Cheerilee... what am I gonna do?”

Pinkie screamed as a loud noise erupted from behind her. She turned around and saw Filthy Rich had broken the door down by running through it. His eyes were filled with rage as he approached the trapped Cheerilee who was screaming as loudly as she could through her taped shut mouth.

Pinkie gulped as she deduced that what she was witnessing had taken place earlier today.

Filthy Rich must have looked as angry as he did because he wanted revenge for what Cheerilee had done to his daughter Diamond Tiara.

Pinkie understood now. The blood tears she shed earlier today didn’t come from Twist. They came from Cheerilee’s death – which Pinkie was now seconds away from witnessing herself.

“Oh, Celestia...” she said again, shaking her head back and forth slowly as fear twisted in her gut. Tears streamed down her face as the inevitable was unfolding before her. Knowing that she was powerless to stop what was about to happen, she still charged at Filthy Rich in an attempt to intercept him. She moaned as she passed through him harmlessly. She tried to buck him but her hooves didn’t connect. “No... No... please don’t hurt her. Please? Please?

She watched in horror as Filthy Rich walked over to the easy chair and picked a long object up with his mouth. It was a croquet mallet. He walked closer to Cheerilee.

Please put that down, Filthy! Stop! STOOOOOP!!!

Filthy Rich turned his head so that the head of the mallet was behind him. He stood on his hind legs, turned his head and grunted as he brought the mallet down on Cheerilee’s head.

Pinkie Pie closed her eyes and screamed over and over. The sound of her own screams was only loud enough to drown out the sounds of Cheerilee’s skull cracking open and the blood that was babbling and flowing freely onto the carpet from the freshly made gashes in Cheerilee’s head. She could still hear Filthy Rich grunt angrily with each swing of the mallet – as well as the strikes themselves. The nauseating smell of coppery blood and pulverized tissue invaded Pinkie’s nostrils and she held her nose to keep from vomiting. For a flashback which she couldn’t touch, her other senses were certainly being given a lot to work with.

Pinkie crumpled onto the carpet and wept for her dear friend. The mallet strikes ceased and she heard Filthy Rich’s labored breathing. She then heard a thud which she reasoned was the sound of Filthy Rich throwing the mallet down, having completed his murderous task.

“OH, MY CELESTIA!!” cried an unknown stallion who sounded as though he stood just outside the broken door. “Police! Help! Police! Murder! Bloody murderrr!!”

Pinkie Pie sniffled and as she did, she caught the aroma of chamomile. She stifled her tears for a moment and listened. She heard nothing except for her own heartbeat and her rapid breathing. She stood on all fours and opened her eyes.

She was back in Zecora’s hut. She blinked and looked around. She caught her reflection in the mirror. She had cried so much that the tears had washed her face clean of blood. Her hair had also straightened out, as it did anytime she lost a friend. She approached the mirror carefully. Did this mirror somehow have the power to activate her flashback? She retraced her steps to figure out exactly what she was doing when it happened.

Was it the mask? she asked herself. Was it when I took it off?

Pinkie gasped.

No, she thought. It was the blood. I touched Cheerilee’s blood on my face... and that’s when the potion took me back to show me how she died.

Pinkie’s heart jumped out of her throat as the silence of the hut was compromised by the clatter at the front door as it opened. Zecora had returned.

“Why, hello, Pinkie Pie, and how do you do?” asked Zecora as she approached Pinkie. “When I opened my door, I was not expecting to find you.”

Pinkie was about to reply to Zecora when the zebra’s eyes were drawn to the empty bottle. Zecora gasped.

“Did you enter my home and then drink this white potion?” asked Zecora. "Whatever gave you such a ridiculous notion? It was not intended for earth ponies to ingest! Its properties have not yet been put to the test!”

“It works on earth ponies, too, Zecora,” said Pinkie weakly. “It just works a little differently. Do you remember my Ponyville friend Cheerilee? The town teacher?” Pinkie lowered her head. “She’s... dead now. She was murdered by Filthy Rich. The potion took me back to the moment it happened. I saw it with my own eyes.” Pinkie’s eyes glistened with new tears. “I’m so sorry I drank your potion. My curiosity got the better of me.”

“Nopony should see such a terrible sight,” said Zecora sympathetically. “I forgive you for drinking my potion of white. I am sorry for the loss of your friend, Pinkie Pie. It must have been tragic to watch your friend die.”

“You have no idea,” said Pinkie as she placed her right foreleg behind Zecora’s neck. Their cheeks brushed against each other and Pinkie instantly felt her eyes burn. “AH!!” She shut them but doing so burned her eyelids.

She reopened them – and found herself standing in the middle of a lonely, dry savannah in broad daylight. The heat of the sun was so brutal that it distorted the horizon of the vast flatland.

“Ohhhh, what the Tartarus is this?” asked Pinkie Pie out loud as sweat poured down her forehead. “Why is this happening? I already had my flashback from drinking the potion once... so why am I having another one if I didn’t drink the potion a second time?”

Pinkie heard a whimper followed by the sound of somepony crying. That sound didn’t lead to anything pleasant in her first flashback and so she turned around slowly, hoping that she would fare better this time around.

There, impaled on a spit from mouth to plot, was the skinned corpse of a zebra, roasting above a bonfire. Pinkie deduced that the corpse was that of a zebra from the pile of black and white striped skin that stood out like an island in a veritable swamp of bloody grass.

Beside the spit sat a young Zecora. She was holding a piece of the roasted flesh of the corpse in her hooves and she ate it as she cried and sang sorrowfully at the sky in her native tongue.

Though she didn’t think it was possible, Pinkie Pie was horrified beyond what she had felt during the first flashback.

“OH, CELESTIA!” she screamed. “OH, CELESTIAAAAAA!!!”

She lost her balance while turning to run away and she fell on her belly.

When she hit the ground, she was back in Zecora’s chilly hut in the Everfree Forest. Pinkie looked behind her. When she saw Zecora standing over her, she screamed and scooted away.

“AHHHH!!! GET AWAY FROM MEEEE!!” cried Pinkie, trembling with fear. “YOU’RE A CANNIBAL! A CANNIBAAAAL!!

Zecora gasped at the accusation but Pinkie didn’t stick around long enough to witness it. She scrambled to her hooves, opened the door to the hut, and took off galloping like a bolt of lightning.

She didn’t stop running until she was back in Ponyville. Once there, she stopped in front of a stallionhole cover, removed it, climbed down the ladder to enter the sewer, and returned the cover.