• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 7,816 Views, 237 Comments

The Jolly Rogers - lockheed



Two F-14A Tomcat's of VF-84 and their crews are transported to Equestria.

  • ...
50
 237
 7,816

11: The Bomb and a Baby

~~~~~
Three and a Half Months Later
December 1, 1986
~~~~~

The sound of glass breaking jerked me and Thunderstreak awake. Grabbing the alarm clock I saw it was already ten to seven.

“What the hell is going on down there?”

We hopped out of bed and wandered down stairs where the kids were desperately trying to make pancakes. On the floor, a glass that been full of orange juice lay shattered.

“What are you kids even trying to do?”

“Our best.”

“Well if you wanted breakfast you should have just told me.”

“Well it was supposed to be a surprise for you guys. We were going to bring you some breakfast in bed.”

“You kids don’t have to do that. If we wanted breakfast in bed we’d sleep in the kitchen.”

The kids all sighed in defeat and made way for Thunderstreak to make breakfast for everyone.

“It’s almost seven so cereal for everyone.”

“Can I have the rainbow loopy cereal?”

“I don’t know. Can you?”

There was a groan from all the kids as they were reminded of the phrase that was popular amongst their teachers. Thunderstreak and I chuckled at the kids and went about our normal routine. I ran upstairs to shower while breakfast was being prepared. After the shower I dried off and put on my new blue uniform where two stars now sat on each shoulder. Rushing downstairs I sat down to eat with the kids as much as I could. Soon it was time for them to go to school and Thunderstreak sat down with me at the table.

“This is about the only quiet time we get anymore.”

“Eeyup.”

“Don’t give me a Macintosh answer.”

“I do that just to annoy you.”

“That’s what we have three kids for.”

We looked outside at the sun gradually rising in the morning sky. In the distance a small speck roared skyward from the new airfield at the edge of Ponyville.

“Guess I should probably get washed up and dressed huh?”

“I’m a major general, head of the base, and you’re a newly minted colonel. No one’s going to bother us if we’re late.”

“Shouldn’t we wake your dad?”

I had completely forgotten about dad. Getting up I walked down the hallway and opened the door to the guest bedroom. Sprawled out on the bed was the grey pony I had met at the gala that was non-other than my father.

“Dad, get your ass up! Gotta go to work.”

He groaned and threw a pillow in my direction before sitting up and looking at me with eyes full of crud.

“Fuckin’ hell dad. Get yourself cleaned up. We’re supposed to be going soon.”

“I knew I should have moved in with Amelia when she got that two bedroom flat. She wanted a roommate but I had to say ‘no’ didn’t I?”

“So go call her and tell her you rethunk it.”

“Maybe but right now I’ve got a splitting headache.”

“That’s what ya get for spending your nights drinkin’. Ya got three future grandkids ya could be spendin’ time with.”

He groaned and crawled off his bed to go take a shower and dress for his day at the base. I walked upstairs and laid down for a quick nap while Thunderstreak and dad got ready. After about twenty minutes I felt a hoof poking me in the shoulder and I looked over to see Thunderstreak in her uniform all ready to go. I climbed out of bed and we left for the base while dad sat at the table with a mug of black coffee and holding his head.

“See ya later dad!”

“Fuck off you smartass.”

As we walked to the base I watched a couple of biplanes high above loop and roll in the clear December sky. For the last three weeks factories had begun to push out the designs we needed like Stearmans, Flying Fortresses, and even a few early model Mustangs. We reached the base about quarter to eight and went our separate ways to our respective offices. My boots clacked on the tile floor as I walked through the base headquarters building, making sure to avoid the few construction workers that were still putting the finishing touches on the building. On the way to my office I passed the offices for my four men and the secretary’s desk.

“Ink Quill, do I have any mail?”

“I put it on your desk sir.”

Setting my brief case down, I picked up the stack of mail and sat down at my desk. Flipping through the envelopes I saw quite a few enlistment forms and a manila envelope from Canterlot. Opening the top of the envelope I pulled out a piece of paper and several photographs from the Griffin Empire. Looking back at the paper I read over the few sentences that had been typed.

Dear General Jones

These are photos taken by informants in the Griffin Empire. The markings of the uniforms are unknown but we did manage to get three more men than had been previously thought to be on this world on camera. Our apologies for the poor quality of the photos but we believe if anyone can identify these men it is you.

~Princesses Celestia and Luna

I grabbed the pictures and a magnifying glass and began flipping through them. In one of the pictures there was a griffin in a black uniform standing at attention outside a government building. Looking closer though, I found two small, lightning shaped s’s on his right coller. Flipping to the next photo I saw a man whose face was shaded by his cap and completely blocked all aspects of his face, on both sides of him stood men in black SS uniforms.

“Ink Quill, when’s my first appointment today?”

“Nine sir.”

“Thank you.”

Shutting the door I picked up the phone and had the base operator connect me to the royal palace. The secretary to Princess Celestia answered and put me through to Celestia.

“I take it you got our delivery, general?”

“I did. So far all I’ve got is they’re SS. Looks like the two men in the black could be Gestapo.”

“Gestapo?”

“Nazi secret police. Cruel, heartless bastards who’d kill anyone soon as look at ‘em.”

“So what would they need the SS for?”

“Well they’re tryin’ to run ponies out of their country, maybe they’re locking up all those they find.”

“Do you suppose they could be connected to the compounds that have been photographed being built?”

“The what?”

“The compounds. They’ve been springing up all around their country. They look almost like POW camps from the air.”

“Did you send pictures of them?”

“We didn’t believe they could be connected until now. I’ll make sure to send them today. They should be on your desk tomorrow morning.”

“Thank you princess.”

“You’re welcome. I also gave Marko some things for you to sign.”

There was a knock at my door and I could see a shadow on the other side of the window.

“Speaking of Marko, there he is.”

Hanging up the phone I called Marko in.

“Have a seat Marko.”

“No thank you sir, this won’t take long. I need you to sign off on these.”

Two folders stamped ‘top secret’ landed on the desk in front of me. Flipping open the first folder it was all documents of approved B-29 and B-50 designs.

“All you have to do is sign these so they can begin production.”

“Why are there silverplates in here?” I asked looking over my reading glasses at Marko.

“That is what the second folder is for sir.”

I signed off on the contents of the first folder and handed it back to him before opening the second folder.

“Marko, you do know what this is, don’t you?” Taking off my reading glasses, I walked over to the window to the right of my desk. From here I could see from Ponyville to Canterlot. “I stopped this world from being destroyed once. I don’t want to sign the death warrant for it.”

“This is only as a last ditch option sir.”

“I understand that, but we saw what this weapon can do. The whole world back home did!” Walking over to the desk again I looked Marko in the eye. “I would sooner fight the enemy by myself before I sign this.” My fist slammed against the desk and the force knocked over a few things.

“Sir, this has already passed approval by the princesses and the other generals in Canterlot but the princesses said they will not start the project until you sign.”

“Well why the fuck should I sign?! This is the fate of this world on my desk! This ain’t some fighter plane! This is a god damn weapon of mass destruction!”

“General please, I don’t like this anymore than you but if war does breakout, which you and I both know it probably will, this could end it all sooner and save lives.”

“But what of the innocent? An entire city, in one go. One plane, one bomb, one city, but how many thousands dead?”

“General, I know how you feel but it would be for the greater good if you signed it.”

Flopping down in my chair I looked at the stack of paper inside stamped ‘Manehattan Project’ and thoughts of mushroom clouds across the planet horrified me. Then the thought came to me that here or home we could be faced with a nuclear apocalypse.

“Fine, I’ll sign. But I’m only doing it cause it might, might, work out in the long run.”

“Thank you.”

Putting my pen to the paper I began signing the papers.

“And so I have become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

Handing the paper over to Marko he saluted and turned to leave. On the way out he passed Rainbow Dash who was entering my office.

“Hiya general.”

“Hello Ms. Dash. What can I do ya for?”

“Five hundred a night.”

“What?”

“What?”

“What do you want Dash?”

“I was just wondering when our fighters were supposed to get here.”

“Tomorrow.”

“What type?”

“Warhawks.”

“Oh come on! I know the air force has better fighters than that.”

“Not enough for an entire fighter group right now. As soon as there’s enough Mustangs for your pilots I’ll put in a request to the princesses and headquarters in Canterlot.”

“Thank you.”

She turned and left my office leaving me by myself.

“Today, is going to be a long day.”

~~~~~
20:00 Hours
1237 North Main St.
~~~~~

The TV screen was nothing but darkness as we all sat around the house. On the far side of the living room the radio let music flow into the room as Lancaster switched between the EBC and CBC.

“Lancaster, just pick one already.” Typhoon snapped.

“But they both have good music.” Lancaster wined. “And besides. You’re leaving soon for your date anyways.”

Closing my paper I looked at Typhoon.

“You have a date tonight?”

“I told you about it.”

“Did you do it while I was half asleep?”

“Yes.”

“Then honey, I wasn’t listening.”

There was a knock at the door and I ran upstairs if I was to meet Typhoon’s date. Grabbing what I needed from my bedside table I ran back downstairs and threw the bullet in my hand at her date.

“Dad! Why did you do that?”

“To warn him that if he doesn’t have you home by ten thirty it’ll be movin’ a hell of a lot faster.”

The colt gulped and began sweating as I stared him down.

“And before you go, I want to lay down a few ground rules. One, anything you do to my soon to be daughter I will do to you. Two, if you in anyway hurt her I will put your severed head on a stick in the yard as a warning to others. And three, you will address me as sir. Understood?”

“Yes sir.”

“Good. You kids have fun.”

They hurried out before I could try to scare the boy more. Opening my paper again I read an article about some sergeant being awarded a Silver Star for landing his bomber after an accident disabled the pilots. From the other side of the room the radio finished playing a Swing Sisters song and switched to the evening news.

“Our top story comes from the Griffin Empire where the chancellor has just announced a pact with the Changeling Empire. The changelings have been in the news as of the last few weeks for their relentless attacks on Vietmane. There has been concern from the international community about this pact as there is feeling this could be taking the world further down the road to war.”

I lowered my paper and looked over at the radio as the broadcast continued.

“More issues arose when the griffins moved tanks and troops to the coast of the channel between them, Equestria, and the Crystal Empire. Let’s bring in our foreign affairs annalist for this. So, what do you think could happen in response to these troop movements?”

“Well many different things. It could lead to talks to remove them, absolutely nothing, or allied troop movements to counter them if they do attack.”

Grumbling under my breath at the talk of ‘allied troop movements’ I began wondering what might happen if war started within the next week or two.

“Now what about the griffin government? Surely they want to avoid war?”

“From what we have seen in the last few months, and just these last few days, they seem to be pushing what they can get away with before the international community pushes back. The Crystal Empire signed a non-aggression treaty with them but this seems to be a direct violation of the treaty. Now if the Crystal Empire feels that they are threating them, they have the right to attack first according to the treaty.”

“So this could be the prelude to war?”

“It very well could be. If the griffins and changelings continue on the path they’re on the world will have to step in and stop them.”

“Alright, thank you. Our other story for tonight is the show for the troops being put on in Ponyville tomorrow night. All military personnel that wish to attend have been invited and Major General Jones and his fiancée, Colonel Thunderstreak, are to be two of the VIPs in attendance. Also there will be Princess Luna, the elements of harmony, and several performing acts like the Swing Sisters and Dame Blue Song. The EBC and our sister station from the Crystal Empire, CBC, will be broadcasting live from the show. That’s all for this evening so from our families to yours, goodnight.”

I stayed up later than normal that night. Not because I was worried about how the show tomorrow would go, but waiting for Typhoon to get home from her date. Around ten I heard them come up the path to the door and exchange goodnights before she came inside.

“So how’d it go? I ain’t gonna have to kill ‘im am I?”

“No, he was a gentlecolt the whole time. I invited him to come with us to the show tomorrow night.”

“Oh goodie. That’ll give me the perfect time to have a little chat with him.”

“Dad, don’t scare him away. He’s the nicest boy I’ve dated so I’d like to keep him around for a while.”

“Alright sweetie, I’ll be nice to him.”

“Thank you. Now, it’s late, I’m going to bed.”

“Yeah, I suppose I should go to bed too. Night kiddo.”

“Good night.”

Climbing the stairs I got into bed with Thunderstreak who was sitting holding her stomach.

“Ya alright honey?”

“Yeah, just some stomach cramps.”

“Ya think it could be related to you pukin’ yer guts up almost every day for the past week?”

“Maybe, but why is my back hurting too?”

“You’re the nurse. If I knew what was goin’ on I’d tell ya but for now let’s get some sleep. If you need something through the night don’t hesitate to wake me.”

“Thanks honey. Good night.”

“Night.”

We gave each other a quick kiss, turned off the lights, and went to sleep.

~~~~~
18:00 Hours
Ponyville Aerodrome
~~~~~

The crowd of military personnel, from privates to colonels, had filed into the impromptu seats in front of the stage with a giant Equestrian flag as the backdrop. In the front row sat Thunderstreak, the kids, Me, Princess Luna, and Major General Brave Soldier. We all chatted with the soldiers around us as we waited for the show to begin. Soon a pegasus stallion in an olive uniform stepped up to the microphone and began the show.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, officers and enlisted, I am honored to present to you the three most popular mares on Equestrian television and radio, the Swing Sisters!”

The crowd roared with applause as the three mares stepped out onto the stage.

“Hello Ponyville! We are the Swing Sisters. So girls, what do you think we should sing first for these fine folks?” Jazzy looked at her sisters on either side of her.

“Well a lullaby is always nice.”

The band struck up and they began singing along to the music.

Come on along and listen to
The lullaby of Broadway
The hip hooray and ballyhoo
The lullaby of Broadway
The rumble of a subway train
The rattle of the taxis
The daffydils who entertain
At Angelo's and Maxi's

When a Broadway baby says good night
It's early in the morning
Manehattan babies don't sleep tight until the dawn

Good night, baby
Good night, milkmare's on her way
Sleep tight, baby
Sleep tight, let's call it a day
Hey!

Come on along and you can listen to
A baby cry the lullaby of ole' Broadway
The jump & jivin' & the swingin' roo
The lullaby of Broadway
The band begins to jam a tune
And everyone goes crazy
You rock-a-bye your baby soon
The atmosphere gets hazy
Hush I'll buy you this and that,
You hear a daddy saying
And baby goes home to her flat
To sleep all day

Sleep tight, my baby
Get a lot of sleep as time goes by
Good night, my baby
Have a lot of fun in the night time
Get a lot of sleep in the day time
Good night, good night
Let's call it a day
Good night, good night, good night
Milkmare's on her way

Good night, baby
Good night
Milkmare's on her way
Sleep tight, baby
Sleep tight, let's call it a day

Listen to the lullaby of ol' broadway

The crowd again roared with applause as the girls bowed.

“Now, for this next song we’re going to have Dame Blue Song come out and sing for you all.”

The sound of hooves clapping was deafening as the crystal pony mare walked out onto the stage.

“Good evening everypony. When I was offered the chance to perform for all of you, I immediately said yes. So, without further ado.” Again the band began to play and after one verse the sound of her song the sound of hundreds of ponies’ voices filled the air.

Bless 'em all,
Bless 'em all.
The long and the short and the tall,
Bless all the Sergeants and WO1's,
Bless all the Corporals and their blinkin' sons,
Cos' we're saying goodbye to 'em all.
As back to their Billets they crawl,
You'll get no promotion this side of the ocean,
So cheer up my lads bless 'em all

And so it went for the next two verses that when she finished hundreds of voices floated on the air above Ponyville. We sat in the cold December air, warmed by the excitement, the hundreds of soldiers around us, and most of all the flasks that most everyone had snuck in. Several hours later, close to midnight, the show ended with the four mares performing a medley of songs before taking one last bow. The crowd dispersed and we headed home.

“So what was y’all’s favorite part?”

The kids thought a moment then answered the end with the four mares singing together.

“Mine too. Honey, did you ever talk to the doctor today?”

“No sweetie. I’m sure it’s just some stomach bug.”

“Honey, stomach bugs don’t just make you sick in the morning. Something’s gotta be goin’ on. The wedding is Monday. If you’re sick I want you to be feelin’ your best.”

“Fine, I’ll go to the doctor in the morning. But I tell you again, nothing is wrong with me.”

~~~~~
13:45 Hours
Ponyville Aerodrome
December 3, 1986
~~~~~

Filling out paperwork at my desk my phone suddenly rang. Answering the phone I heard a mare on the other end.

“Is Colonel Thunderstreak there?”

“This is her husband. Who is this?”

“This is Nurse Redheart from the Ponyville hospital. We are calling concerning her visit today.”

“Well I’ll have her call you back as soon as I can.”

“Thank you sir.”

We hung up and I continued about my work.

~~~~~
19:37 Hours
1237 North Main St.
~~~~~

Thunderstreak had been on the phone for the past half hour. Lying on the bed I flipped through a book on the banishment of Princess Luna when suddenly I heard hoofsteps coming up the steps. Thunderstreak walked in and sat down with a mixed expression of happiness and shock with a bit of sad thrown in.

“Honey, what did the doctor have to say?”

“Well they got the results of the tests I had to take. There’s something I need to tell you.”

“Is something wrong?”

“Depends on what you call wrong. Remember when we stayed at the palace for a couple of days?”

“Yeah?”

By now I was sitting next to her with my arm around her.

“Well, the thing is, the main reason I pounced on you that one night is I was in heat. James, I’m pregnant.”