• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 7,761 Views, 237 Comments

The Jolly Rogers - lockheed



Two F-14A Tomcat's of VF-84 and their crews are transported to Equestria.

  • ...
50
 237
 7,761

16: Demons Run

~~~~~
06:00 Hours
December 25, 1986
Royal Vacation Mansion
~~~~~

A sudden weight landing on my chest jolted me awake as Lancaster hopped up and down on our bed.

“Dad! Dad! Get up! Santa came!”

He hurried out of the room and Thunderstreak rolled over to face me.

“We spent a half hour setting up presents under the tree. Couldn’t he wait until eight to wake us?”

“No, I know what it’s like to be a kid on Christmas morning. Let him have his day.”

Climbing out of bed I slipped on a pair of pants and my red and white flannel shirt. Walking downstairs I went over to the banister that over looked the living room where several guards had helped erect a pine tree a couple of days earlier. Below Lancaster ran around grabbing every gift that had his name on it while Typhoon and Charger sleepily made their way out from their rooms. As we made our way down we saw a maid coming in with hot chocolate and coffee on a silver tray. Grabbing a mug of coffee I sat down in one of the chairs as Lancaster tore open a present. He pulled out a small stack of books that was tied up in red ribbon.

“You wouldn’t believe the trouble I had to go through to talk Celestia into getting me those for you.” I told him as he untied the ribbon to reveal my copies of the Sherlock Holmes books.

“You had Celestia use her magic to get a few books from another planet?” He asked as he looked up at me. Suddenly he jumped up and gave me a hug before going back to his gifts. Off to my left Typhoon opened up a gift of hers that was mostly makeup while Charger stood by in his uniform.

“Dad, didn’t you get Charger a gift?” She asked as she looked over at him.

“You mean besides not killing him? Yeah but that’ll come later.”

Suddenly a gift appeared before me and I saw it was from Thunderstreak. Opening up the box I saw a new .45 revolver sitting at the bottom. Pulling it out I held it in my hand for a few seconds before slipping it into my pocket.

“Thank you dear. I love the new gun.”

“I thought you would. Your dad recommended it.”

“Of course he did. While all of you open up gifts I’m gonna go clean up. The others are supposed to be getting here around noon.”

“Alright sweetie. While you’re getting your uniform can you layout my red dress for me?”

“Yes dear.”

~~~~~
12:15 Hours
December 25
~~~~~

The staff cars slowed to a stop and I stepped out to open doors and butlers did the same. From the first car the four men under my command and dad in his human form stepped out with the six mares and their younger sisters in the second car, the Swing Sisters in the third, and finally the princesses in the rear car. Walking back to their car I saluted quickly as confusion set in.

“Your highness, why didn’t you tell me you, your sister, and niece were coming?”

“A bit of a surprise for you general.”

“To say the least. The chefs weren’t expecting you or they would have made something more elegant than pasta, breadsticks, soup, and pizza.”

“That sounds fine to me general.” Luna said from beside Celestia. Leading them all inside I showed them to the dining room where lunch was laid out on the thirty foot table. Taking our seats we began to pass food to each other and my plate was soon filled with pasta and pizza. Stuffing my face I saw Thunderstreak, Luna, and Austin doing the same. After an hour we had finished off the meal and dessert and now sat in the living room surrounded by gifts. I now had two guns, a new record that was yet to be released, and a pair of brand new aviators. “Alright, I think it’s time Charger got his gift.” Celestia nodded and floated a couple of patches over to Charger with her magic. He took the patches and looked up at us in surprise.

“You’re making me a sergeant?”

“That was before I found you making out with my daughter.”

“Sir, I still apologize I didn’t tell you earlier.”

“Oh shut up before I strip you of a stripe and make you corporal again.”

“Yes sir.”

~~~~~
18:00 Hours
December 25
Ponyville, Equestria
~~~~~

Stepping down from the Huey I turned and helped Thunderstreak and the kids down. Walking away we climbed in the waiting jeep that then took us home. Walking in the front door I nearly stepped on a pile of mail that had accumulated below the mail slot. Scooping it up I flipped through it and found a letter from Germareny addressed to Thunderstreak and I. Tearing open the envelope I pulled out the letter and looked it over.

Dear Mom and Dad,

I’m finally all settled in here in Germareny. Quite a few soldiers are worried about whether or not the griffins will invade Germareny now that Prance has fallen. We listen to the CBC for updates and the other soldiers treat me no different. Even if I do get most of the girls. Two other soldiers and I even started a small band and have been playing at a local bar for spending money and have managed to make close to fifty bits each. The city we’re stationed in is beautiful. I wish you two could see it. I’ll try to write again in a couple days.

Love,

Sabre

~~~~~
18:10 Hours
Hayburg Target Range
Hayburg, Germareny
~~~~~

“Target, white shack!” The orange twenty year old colt shouted down to the light green unicorn in the turret.

“Got it.” Sabre replied as he looked through the sight for the turret. “Target is two hundred yards.”

“Fire!”

“On the way!” He hit the trigger and a flash emerged from the end of the barrel as the shell left it. A second later the white target shack exploded with a fire ball. Sabre pumped his hoof in the air in victory as the spotter climbed into the turret.

“Your parents still think you’re a show pony?”

“Yeah. This beats staying in camp all day I’ll say that.”

Sabre looked through the sight again at the smoldering rubble but something caught his eye.

“Hey, look over by the shack and tell me if you see that.”

The spotter stood up and climbed up on top of the turret where he began scanning that section of tree line.

“Looks like something moving over there.”

“Another one of ours?”

“Looks more angled on the armor than ours. One of those fake Panzers maybe?”

“Maybe but why would its turret be turning towards us?”

“No clue. Maybe,” The spotter was cut short as a white cloud emerged from the other tank’s barrel and the shell landed a few yards to the right of the tank.

“Fuck! Driver, radio base the war is on! And somepony get me more shells!”

~~~~~
Meanwhile in Northern Prance
~~~~~

“Warum zum Teufel ist es so kalt hier?” (Why the fuck is it so cold here?) A young blonde man in his black SS uniform asked the other soldier with him as they stood guard outside the museum.

“Weil es Winter ist, du Narr.” (Because it is winter you fool.) The other replied as he turned up the collar in his coat, the movement making his black helmet slide down almost over his eyes.

“Warum hat der Führer selbst wollen zu dieser Stadt kommen? Es sieht aus wie ein Mini-Paris.” (Why did the Fuehrer even want to come to this city? It looks like a mini Paris.)

“Weil er will Kunst für seine Sammlung.” (Because he wants art for his collection.)

“Das ist keine Entschuldigung dafür, dass uns aus in der Kälte.” (That is no excuse for making us stand out in the cold.)

“Beenden Sie jammern. Wir schworen einen Eid auf den Führer und wir werden sie gehorchen.” (Quit your whining. We swore an oath to the Fuehrer and we will obey it. )

“Das war in Deutschland! Nicht dieses, Nutsy Land!” (That was in Germany! Not this, nutsy land! ) The younger said throwing his hands up in the air.

“Halten Sie den Mund! Wollen Sie der Oberst zu hören und mit Ihnen auf Sie geschossen?” (Keep your mouth shut! Do you want the colonel hearing you and having you shot? )

“Nein.” (No.)

“Dann halten Sie ruhig.” (Then keep quiet.)

They resumed their shivering and clutched their MP 40s with one hand. Suddenly the door to the museum opened causing the two guards to snap to attention as an SS officer and an older man in a greenish-grey overcoat stepped outside. The old man turned around and in the glow of the city street lights the two SS soldiers tried to remain calm as Adolf Hitler looked them up and down.

“Ich wünschte, ich hätte mehr treue Männer wie Sie am Ende.” (I wish I had more loyal men like you in the end.) He mumbled before turning back around and climbing into his staff car. The two soldiers opened the other door for the colonel before taking their spots in the front seat.

“Sergeant?”

“Ja, mein Führer?” (Yes my Fuehrer?) The driver asked.

“Wollen Sie Musik hören?” (Do you listen to music?)

“Ja, mein Führer.” (Yes my Fuehrer.)

“Welche Art?” (What kind?)

“Wagner mein Führer.” (Wagner my Fuehrer.)

“Ich auch.” (Me too.)

“Was halten Sie von Valkyrie glaube, mein Führer?” (What do you think of Valkyrie my Fuehrer?)

~~~~~
21:30 Hours
December 25
Canterlot War Room
~~~~~

Two marine sergeants opened the doors to the room and allowed Princess Celestia entry. The other generals and I turned to look at her but resumed looking over maps and reports of the invasion so far.

“Where was the first sighting?”

“Hayburg.”

“What division is based there?”

“Third Armor.”

“That’s my son’s division. Any reports on casualties?”

“They’ve reported several tanks destroyed and enemy aircraft bombing the base. So far almost one hundred killed, a couple hundred wounded, and a few dozen captured.”

“Who first reported the invasion?”

“A tank crew who was fired upon at the Hayburg target range.”

“I want files on that crew.”

A brown stallion in a green army uniform stood up and I saw the light glint off the four stars on each side of his uniform. ‘Fuck. What’s this jackass want?’

“General Jones, what authority do you have to request files from the army?”

“I have the authority as Celestia’s tactical advisor to speak with the crew to determine the best way to take out a Panzer so do not question me general.”

He sat down again and I resumed looking over the map of Germareny when a sergeant at one of the radios shouted a message to us.

“Reports of an explosion at Gold Feather’s palace and an aircraft taking off from Gryphus towards Equestria just minutes apart!”

Walking away from the map I went over to the radio operator who was still receiving information.

“Intercepted messages suggest it was a member of the SS that caused the explosion. We may be looking at a defector sir.”

“Radio all bases along the eastern coast to look for that single airplane and watch for a parachute or it landing. Do not fire on it unless makes any threatening movements. When you’re done with that I want you to radio the headquarters in the Crystal Empire and tell them the same thing.” Turning to face everyone else in the room I saw them all looking at me. “What the hell are y’all looking at me for?”

Celestia approached me and I could tell she had bad news.

“Tia, I can see in your eyes it’s not good. Spit it out.”

“General, the tank crew that spotted the first Panzer was captured.”

“Alright. I’d still like to see their files.”

“That’s the thing general.” She gave me the files and I noticed a name I didn’t want to see. “I’m so sorry.”

I felt rage boiling up inside me and I ripped up the files in my hands.

“Demons will run.”

“What?”

At the table I saw a grey stallion stand and look over at us.

“Haven’t you ever heard the saying princess?”

“What saying admiral?”

“Demons run when a good man goes to war. Night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war. Friendship dies and true love lies. Night will fall and the dark shall rise when a good man goes to war. That saying. I’ve only ever seen that look in his eyes once before and he nearly killed someone. He is going to get his son and my grandson back if it is the last thing he does.”

Nodding I walked out of the room and went downstairs to head home. Climbing in the jeep I waved my hand for the driver to head for the Canterlot airbase and we took off. As we careened through the streets of the city I kept thinking over and over about what the griffins might do to Sabre. Every general and admiral had heard the rumors about the camps that they sent POWs to and how they were treated. ‘What’s one more mission over enemy lines?’

~~~~~
10:00 Hours
December 26, 1986
Ponyville Aerodrome
~~~~~

Sitting in the left seat of the stripped down B-25B Mitchell I looked up at the green flare in the sky. Releasing the brakes I let the bomber roll and pulled back on the controls. As the flags grew closer I felt the bomber want to climb and start hopping a couple inches into the air. Just before we reached the flags the bomber lifted and started to slowly climb into the blue sky over Ponyville. Banking left I looked over at Mac who was watching the instrument panel for any abnormalities.

“Hey Mac.” He looked up at me and I reached down and locked the controls to keep the plane level. “What would you do if someone you really cared about joined the service and got captured?”

“Ah’d do everything in my power to get ‘em back.”

“Good. Because I might have a mission for you after this one.”

“What is it sir?”

“We’ll discuss this after we land.” Reaching down I unlocked the controls and pulled back on the throttles. Looking out the window I saw the airfield to my left and the group of aircrews waving up to us.

“Ponyville tower, this is Red Leader. Left downwind for runway 3-6.”

“Roger that Red Leader. Runway 3-6 is clear. You’re cleared to land.”

As we passed the end of the runway I dropped a notch of flaps and the landing gear. Banking left again I dropped another notch of flaps before lining up and lowering them all the way. Pulling up just above the runway I felt the main wheels make contact as we rolled down the runway. Letting the nose wheel drop I let the bomber slow before turning it onto the taxi way. Rolling up to the parking area of the airfield we were met by the applauding and cheering aircrews. Shutting down the engines I climbed down and opened up the forward hatch. Climbing down to the tarmac I was met by the happy aircrews who had been beginning to doubt if the bombers could take off in the short distance. Helping Mac and the bombardier down I led Mac to my jeep which drove off for the house.

~~~~~
11:30 Hours
1237 N. Main St.
Ponyville
~~~~~

“So let me get this straight. You want me to risk my life over enemy territory and then go on a ground mission to an enemy POW camp to help rescue your son?”

“Yes Captain I am. The camp has over three hundred Equestrian and Crystal Empire troops inside its perimeter. If we can get fifty out it’ll be a success. But the main objective here is my son. There is no power on this planet that will stop me. And keep quiet about this. Thunderstreak still doesn’t know about Sabre.”

“Mah lips are sealed sir. Where is the camp?”

“It’s near the Germane border with Romaneiga. Of course the griffins haven’t pushed into Romaneiga yet so we can fly over Germareny from there and parachute in.”

“And how’ll we take the camp?”

“We’ll have explosives that we’ll place at points along the perimeter fence. We’ll then detonate them in the middle of the night and create a distraction and help the prisoners overrun the camp. We have reports that a group of airmen and other personnel that were captured have set up a secret transmitting station in a hut in the camp. We can radio them and establish a plan for where to place the charges and maybe the best time to strike according to the guard’s schedules.”

“Who’s the head of the group?”

“Some air force colonel who got relocated there a few weeks ago. He’s supposed to be there for another four weeks until they finish the officer’s camp. We also got reports from resistance fighters that they’ve been moving troops out of the camp for the Griffin Empire. If we wait too long we may risk Sabre being sent to a camp in the Griffin Empire. Surely you’ve heard the rumors of the camps there.”

“Ah have sir. And don’t call me Shirley.”

“Not the time for jokes Captain Macintosh. Can I count you in?”

“Yes sir.”

“Good. Now, here’s a slip for a pass tomorrow so that you and your family can go do something. I heard the new theatre in town has a good comedy making fun of Gold Feather.”

“Applejack’s been wantin’ to see that. Ah guess the whole family can go.”

“Yeah.” Filling out the pass for Mac I saw him looking over at the bookcase where rolled up blueprints stuck out from the top shelf. “Those are original blueprints I drew up for the planes that we’re all flying. They’re supposed to start sending out the first batch of Lightnings this week. One of them is supposed to go to the 339th here in Ponyville.”

“That fighter squad with the peppermint candy looking noses?”

“That’s the one. ‘The flying candy canes’ as the 332nd calls ‘em.”

“Ya know yer gonna hear it cause the mares didn’t get one.”

“Not my fault if the higher ups don’t send them one.”

“So what’ll happen to mah bomb group after this mission of yours?”

“They’ll probably get sent to a base in the Crystal Empire to fly missions against the griffins.”

He gave a small “hmpf” at that but seemed glad when I handed over his pass. Standing up I showed him to the front door while Thunderstreak cooked lunch in the kitchen.

“What was Mac here for sweetie?”

“Nothing. Just discussing some military stuff.”

“Any news about Sabre?”

My blood ran cold and I attempted to quickly think up a lie.

“He’s safely behind our lines in Germareny.”

“Thank the heavens. Are they sending him back here?”

“They’re keeping him there to perform for the troops to keep moral up.”

“Alright. But if he gets hurt I’ll kill Gold Feather myself.”

“I know honey. I know.”

~~~~~
13:00 Hours
December 27, 1986
Manehattan Naval Yard
~~~~~

Walking along the deck of the still incomplete Hornet I stopped to watch a crane lower a large section of the island into place.

“General!”

Turning around I saw a black stallion in a navy captain’s uniform walking towards me.

“Captain, I understand you’re the soon-to-be commanding officer of the Hornet.”

“Yes sir. How many bombers are going to be on here?”

“Sixteen.”

“And what about the new carrier capable Mitchells?”

“The prototype hasn’t come off the assembly line yet. We’re having problems with the hydraulics for the wing folding mechanisms and the arrester hook got bent by some dumbfuck in a forklift. We might just scrap the entire project.”

“Shame. I really want to see one of those serve on here.”

“As do I. How soon will this sail for Honoluna?”

“The island is supposed to finished in a week and then we’ll sail out for Haywaii on the first.”

“So now we have a date for Doolittle. January eighth, nineteen eighty seven.”