• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 7,815 Views, 237 Comments

The Jolly Rogers - lockheed



Two F-14A Tomcat's of VF-84 and their crews are transported to Equestria.

  • ...
50
 237
 7,815

30: Mistakes

~~~~~
10:03 Hours
May 3, 1987
1237 N. Main St.
~~~~~

I held the hockey stick with my left hand as I taped a can of hairspray to the end of it with my right hand. Next to me Austin had a wooden pole with a match taped to the end. Thunderstreak looked out the window at the wasp nest by the door. She turned around and sighed at us. “Are you sure you don’t want to call somepony to get rid of that? Or at least, you know, wait for a third stooge?” She asked with a tone of sarcasm.

“Hey, you sting my head; I burn down your house. That’s the Jones way.” I replied as I ripped the tape and stuck down the last little bit.

“Besides, John was busy.” Austin told her as he lit the match. We nodded to each other as I taped down the button on the hairspray and placed a dented army helmet on my head. We flung the door open as Luna joined Thunderstreak by the window. I followed Austin out and he suddenly shouted about his match going out. Inside, Luna sipped her coffee as we got stung by a swarm of angry wasps.

“You know what we have to do, right?” Thunderstreak asked as she stood next to Luna.

“Yeah. I’ll go get the video camera.”

~~~~~
12:30 Hours
May 3, 1987
Ponyville Air Force Base
~~~~~

“We lost an estimated two hundred fifty aircraft on the ground during the invasion of Canterlot. Of course we know fifteen pilots managed to get their planes here to Ponyville. The other thirty five planes of the fifty that managed to get in the air are unaccounted for. We’ve called every allied aerodrome and civilian airport within their range to check for them and we’ve had no luck. We’re listing them as lost in aerial combat.” Spitfire explained as she showed me the list of aircraft based in Canterlot. The ones that had been destroyed had their serial numbers written in red ink with the survivors written in black.

“And the Navy managed to destroy their research planes before their evacuation of the city?” I asked. Her white dress uniform seemed to glow from the light that streamed in through my office windows.

“They did. All classified information was destroyed to prevent its capture.” She replied as she adjusted her cap which she had tucked under her wing.

“Alright. Thank you Captain. You’re dismissed.” She snapped to attention and saluted before trotting out of my office. Looking back down at the paper of the lost aircraft, I sighed and my right hand made a fist as it sat on my desk. Slamming it against the wood in frustration I heard a knock from the doorway. Looking up at the door I saw Gilda standing in her Equestrian Air Force uniform. Her talons held a manila envelope with classified stamped on it in red ink. “Come in. And shut the door behind you please.” She stepped in and kicked the door shut with one of her paws.

“Sir, urgent intelligence for you.” Gilda said as she placed the envelope onto my desk. Opening the envelope, I reached in and grabbed the pictures from inside. I grabbed my glasses and put them on to get a better look at the pictures. In the first picture a plane could be seen parked on the ground, its swept back wings each had an engine. And each engine had no propeller to be seen. Flipping to the next one I saw a profile shot which showed off the plane’s shark-like shape. My hand shook as I reached up and removed my glasses.

“Get every member of the general staff and the princesses. If they question it, tell them it involves something that could cost us the war.”

~~~~~
14:00 Hours
May 3, 1987
Ponyville Town Hall
~~~~~

“Fillies, gentlecolts, and gentlemen; today at twelve thirty hours I received recon pictures of a new aircraft the Nazis have now put onto the aerial battlefield. This aircraft, if different variants are built, could affect the outcome of the war. We may have two F-14s in our arsenal; but the fuel reserves for them were located in Canterlot.” I said as I looked around at the ponies and few humans sitting around the conference table. The conference room was located on the second floor and outside Marine Corps pegasi stood guard by the windows. “Now, we only have piston aircraft. The Air Force’s best fighter? The P-51 Mustang. The Navy and Marines’ best fighter? The F4U Corsair. And the Army Air Corps doesn’t even have any frontline fighters. The aircraft that we may all now have to face,” I removed a fabric cover that was over a large display board next to me. “has been issued the military-wide codename of ‘Swallow’. This aircraft is the Messerschmitt ME-262.” I said as I pointed to the aircraft illustrated on the display. “It is equipped with two Junkers Jumo 004 B-1 turbojet engines, four 30mm cannons that can go through a B-17 like a hot knife through butter, and it can fly at altitudes up to thirty seven thousand feet. This is around two thousand feet higher than the Air Force’s B-17Gs. We’re facing a wonder weapon folks; and if it can be put on carriers then it won’t just be the Army and the Air Force who has to deal with this aircraft.”

“General, you say it can turn the tide of the war, but what would the effects actually be on the battlefield, for all branches, if this aircraft went into mass production?” A Marine Corps colonel asked from his seat halfway down the table.

“It can be used for interception, ground attack, and high speed recon missions. This plane will be the ultimate weapon against us. If we don’t manage to damage their production process then the tide of the war will be turned against us.”

“It wasn’t against us when they took our capitol?” A Navy commodore asked with a tone of annoyance.

“Commodore, if I may,” Gilda stood up from her seat and gently placed her cap on the table. “as someone who has flown the 262 in its testing phase, I can say that what planes you have that you think can take on the Swallow; will get shot to pieces. Your pilots will get slaughtered before they even know they’re under attack. The tactic they teach the pilots to use is a dive attack. Now, they’ve cured the problems of the controls freezing when the aircraft approaches Mach 1. There are even reports of a 262 going supersonic but those aren’t confirmed. And this means they can easily dive from above any Equestrian formations without concern about their planes killing them. This plane is going to slaughter your troops in the air and on the ground.”

“Well it should be easy considering General Jones is killing just as many in the air as the enemy!” An Army colonel shouted. Everyone looked at him before looking at me. My brain finally finished processing what he said and I slammed my fist on the table.

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?!” I shouted at the colonel. He stood up and tossed a folder towards me. It landed halfway between us and slid to a stop in front of me. Picking it up I opened it up and flipped through the contents.

“James.” I looked up at Celestia who had a somewhat upset look on her face. “We’ve gotten reports from mechanics and pilots in almost every branch about planes being damaged even when not in combat. Wings collapsing during the most basic maneuvers, Corsairs ripping in half when they catch a wire, bombers having engines rip from their mountings during level flight. We believe it to be faults in the designs. The designs you drew up. As of yesterday I brought in a team of aeronautical engineers from earth to investigate the safety of the planes. We’ve got engineers from Grumman, Boeing, Douglas, and Lockheed out at Area 13 checking out the designs and making improvements. It also seems we’ll be needing jets now. But, due to the closeness you have to this case, I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to take a leave of absence until this all blows over.” I sat down and rested my head on my right hand. Nodding my head I sighed and looked up around the table.

“And what am I supposed to do until then?” I asked as my sights stopped on Celestia.

“Well, I’d recommend finding a hobby. Besides getting stung by wasps.” Luna suppressed a laugh at her sister’s comment. “Thunderstreak is only about three weeks from her due date. I’m sure she could use some help around the house.” I nodded my head again and stood up. I started walking towards the door but stopped behind the two four star Air Force generals. Placing a hand on their shoulders I looked down at them.

“Take good care of my Air Force, boys. I’ll be watching very closely from the sidelines.” They nodded and I walked out the door. Heading downstairs I gave a small nod to the receptionist and stepped outside. The warm spring air greeted me and I sighed again. Going down the steps I walked through town towards the elementary school. When I arrived I stood with the other parents who were waiting for school to let out and talked with some of them.

“So what do you think about them wanting to cut the amount of funding the elementary gets?” A mare in the group asked and there was a collective groan from the rest of us.

“The school is already using old textbooks. What’s the money going to now?” I asked.

“Well, I heard from Rose who heard from Aloe who heard from Thunderlane that they’re funneling that money to the high school hoofball team.” Rarity said which got even more groans from us.

“Can’t they raise their own money?” Button Mash’s mom Milano asked as I gently sat on the top rail of the fence that surrounded the school yard.

“If science club, soccer, volleyball, and even cheerleading have to raise their own money; why does hoofball get to just sit back and do nothing for their funding?” I asked the group and there were mummers of agreement. “I mean, when I was in school, our teams earned all the money they needed. They didn’t get it handed to them. Science club and FFE, if they have to work for their money then by Celestia so should the hoofball team.” Another round of agreement went through the group just before the sound of the bell ringing made us all look up to the door of the schoolhouse. A crowd of colts and fillies poured out of the school and into the yard. I saw Lancaster walking down the narrow path with the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Rumble. They all walked out the gate and over by me and Rarity as the other foals began to leave with their parents. As they stopped by us, Rarity and I both asked how their day had gone.

“Fine.” They all answered in unison.

“Nothing fun or exciting happen?” I asked them to which Rumble immediately got a devilish grin.

“I leaned that if you do this,” He leaned over and kissed Lancaster on the cheek which caused his coat to revert to its crystal state. “he does that.” Lancaster immediately blushed and his coat returned to the regular blue. Next to him the girls let out a giggle and I had to suppress a small laugh myself. And then I realized what just happened.

“Did you just kiss my son in front of me?” Rumble tensed up but Lancaster came to his defense.

“Dad, I’m nine years old. In some cultures I could be married by now. Besides, how old were you when you got your first kiss?” He asked as he looked up at me.

“That’s not important.” I replied.

“Oh yes it is.” Rarity said as we stopped in the road about halfway home. “I got my first kiss when I was ten.” She said as she put a hoof up to her chest. “Alright James, your turn to share.”

“I said it wasn’t important.”

“Is too.”

“Isn’t”

“Is too!” The Crusaders said in unison.

“Nineteen! Happy? I didn’t get kissed until I was nineteen.” I admitted and Rarity covered her mouth with her hoof. “So help me if any of you laugh I will skin you alive and turn you into shoes.” I threatened them as we started walking again. As we walked through the town center I saw a number of colts climbing on the B-17 that was parked next to town hall. After the completion of their tour of duty the crew of Ponyville Belle went on a war bonds tour of Equestria per the request of Princess Luna. Once the tour was completed the Air Force presented the bomber to the town of Ponyville. Now instead of war weary stallions it hosted the foals of town as their play area. Continuing on through the square we said goodbye to Rarity and Sweetie Belle who broke away towards Carousel Boutique.

“Hey dad?” I looked down at Lancaster who was looking up at me. “What’re we doing for dinner tonight?”

“Well that depends on whether or not your mother agrees to something.” I replied as we neared the house. Pulling my keys from my pocket I flipped through them and found the right one as we turned up the walkway for the house. Unlocking the door, I opened it and immediately removed my jacket. Hanging up my jacket and cap I made my way upstairs to the bedroom. Opening up the bedroom door I walked over and flopped face first onto the bed. Behind me the sound of hooves entering the room made me open my eyes.

“Long day?” Thunderstreak’s voice asked as she sat down on the other side of the bed.

“You have no idea. I’ve been ordered to take a leave of absence by the princesses. How does a vacation to Las Pegasus sound?” I asked as I turned my head to look at her.

“Why did they ask you to take a leave of absence?” She asked as she laid down next to me.

“The blueprints I drew up for the planes we use are shit. They brought in engineers to find all the faults with them. I’m pretty sure the Air Force is out of the war until they fix all my fuck ups.” I told her as I rolled over onto my side to fully face her.

“Well it’ll be nice to have you home more. And what was that thing earlier about Las Pegasus?”

“I was thinking, it may be awhile before I’m back from this leave. And while that trip on the Titan after the war is going to be our honeymoon; I was thinking that we could go on a family trip. Go see the sights, maybe see a show or two. I heard Blue Solo and Romantic Rhythm have a duo show out there at one of the casinos. Maybe we can go see them.” She smiled at the idea but then frowned a bit.

“How will we get there? There’s no civilian gas stations to fuel the car between here and there.”

“Just leave that to me.”

~~~~~
18:30 Hours
May 3, 1987
Ponyville Air Force Base
~~~~~

“Thanks for letting us borrow the Electra, Amelia.” I said as the kids finished loading up their bags into the silver airplane.

“Not a problem. I’m just glad you’re out of that camp. Can’t have my future stepson in a prison camp.” She replied as the setting sun caught the diamond ring on her left hand.

“How’d you get yourself, dad, and the plane out of Canterlot before the griffins captured the city?” I asked her as I looked back at the plane.

“We were actually on a trip to Manehattan when the invasion happened. As soon as your dad heard on the radio you were reported captured he immediately wanted to come to Ponyville.” Amelia said as we began to walk towards the plane.

“When did you put all the seats and windows back in?” I asked her as I eyed the windows lining the side of the plane.

“Oh, I had that done a few weeks ago. With the war going on I figured there’s not going to be much long distance flying. Besides, it was designed for times like this. Your father and I were actually planning on a trip out west ourselves. Maybe we’ll stop over in Las Pegasus and see Sabre’s show.”

“What show? He never told us about any show.” I told her as we stopped next to the door of the Electra.

“Apparently he’s got some sort of big dinner show type thing going on at one of the casinos.” She said as I climbed up the small metal steps by the door. Giving a small ‘hmm’ of acknowledgment I smiled at her and stepped into the plane. I shut the door and heard her grab the steps. As I walked hunched over towards the cockpit I stopped by the entrance to the cockpit and turned around.

“Your families know you’re coming with us right?” I asked the Crusaders and Rumble who all were strapped into their own seats. They nodded their heads and I turned around again. Climbing into the cockpit I sat down in the left seat and buckled the seatbelt. Sliding the side window open I felt the evening breeze dance into the cockpit as I went through the preflight checklist. After making certain that everything was as it should be I stuck my hand out the window and made a twirling motion with my index finger. Flipping the magnetos to both for the left engine I hit the starter and the propeller began to spin. Pulling my hand back inside the plane, I watched the propeller spin before the engine finally sputtered, coughed, and then roared to life. Looking over at the engine’s tachometer I waited until it reached an acceptable point before repeating the process with the right engine. As soon as both engines were running I signaled for Amelia to remove the wooden chocks under the left main gear. She ran over and under the wing before appearing a few moments later with the chocks tucked under her left arm. With a wave she bid us farewell and I waved with my left hand while nudging the throttles forward with my right. Looking forward out the front window I taxied the plane out to the runway. Clipping on my throat mic, I called the tower before slipping on the headset.

“November Romeo One Six Zero Two Zero, you are cleared for departure to Las Pegasus. You’re currently the only mechanical air traffic in Equestria. Should be easy flying.” The single controller in the tower said. I eased the plane onto the runway from the taxiway and lined up with the far end. Lowering the flaps I took a deep breath and was about to start moving the throttles forward when something moving in the cockpit doorway caught my attention. Turning my head I saw Lancaster standing next to me.

“Hey kiddo. Wanna sit up here with me?” He climbed into the right seat and strapped himself in. Looking back out the window I pushed the throttles forward and continued to glance between the window and the airspeed indicator. The tail of the plane rose and I no longer had to stretch my neck to see ahead. Once the airspeed reached 130 mph I pulled back on the wheel and the plane began to rise from the runway. As we climbed out of Ponyville I leveled off at three hundred feet and raised the flaps and gear. Banking right to a west heading I rocked the wings as we flew over Harts Fire’s now grounded cloud house. Flying over Sweet Apple Acres I dropped altitude and came in low over the farm house. As we flew over I had to pull up early to avoid hitting the chimney with the left wing and I looked back in the cabin to see the kids all looking outside while Thunderstreak had her muzzle in an airsickness bag. Looking back out the front window I put the plane into a climb and watched the altimeter start climbing up towards eight thousand feet.

~~~~~
23:05 Hours
May 3, 1987
Las Pegasus Airfield
~~~~~

As I carried the last of the kids to one of the carriages that were waiting for us; I looked around at the bright lights of the city. Looking back towards the carriage ahead of me I saw the other four foals asleep. Typhoon and Charger both sat on one side while I placed Sweetie Belle onto the bench with the others. I quietly shut the door and made my way up to the carriage for Thunderstreak and I. Climbing in, I shut the door and sat down next to Thunderstreak.

“Thank you for the trip, sweetie.” She said as she laid her head on my shoulder. “But, where are we going to be going to stay?”

“Well, Sabre apparently has a show out here. He lived with you for seventeen years so I think it’s time he played host for you. Especially since he’s one of the biggest stars in Applewood.” I replied as I rested my head on top of hers.

~~~~~
23:37 Hours
May 3, 1987
Moondust Casino Royal Suite
~~~~~

The door of the suite swung open to reveal a very tired Sabre.

“Fucking tartarus guys. It’s almost midnight. Dad, I thought you’d be in Ponyville. Not that it’s not pleasant to see you; you guys are always in my heart.”

“Yeah, well; I’m here, I’m there, I’m fucking everywhere. I’m the eggman.” I said as we started to make our way inside.

“You all come to bother me in a different time zone?” He asked as the door swung shut behind the last of us. We immediately tossed our bags down to claim where we would be sleeping and no one dared to take the couch before Thunderstreak could lay claim to it. Laying down on the wooden floor I removed my smoking jacket and rolled it up to make a pillow. Bidding goodnight to everyone I turned onto my side and quickly fell asleep.

~~~~~
07:13 Hours
May 4, 1987
Moondust Casino Royal Suite
~~~~~

I flipped the pancakes onto plates with a spatula before moving the pan and spatula to the sink. Turning around I grabbed the plates and passed them around to everyone in the kitchen and the dining room. Taking my own plate to the corner of the dining room I stood and grabbed the pancake on top. I took a bite before noticing the sound off hooves in the hallway. Looking towards the doorway I saw Sabre making his way towards the table. He sat down with a huff and was breathing heavily as he leaned back in his seat.

“I swear, everything I do wears me out nowadays. I need to lay off those peanut butter and banana sandwiches.” Sabre said as he continued to try and catch his breath.

“I told you those things were addicting.” I said just before I took another bite of my food.

“Honey, you need to go to a doctor. You’re worn out just from getting out of bed.” Brush Stroke said as she placed her hoof on his.

“I’m fine, Brushy. I just need to cut back on the junk food.” He replied as he leaned forward and grabbed a pancake off his plate. “You guys coming to my show tonight?”

“Yeah. We figured we’d go see the sights today too. You want to come with?” Thunderstreak asked Sabre who had half a pancake crammed in his mouth. He shook his head and Brush Stroke looked over at Thunderstreak.

“Sabre actually has to meet with the casino owners today. I’d be happy to join you though. I need to look for some stuff for our nursery.” Brush Stroke replied and they both looked down at their stomachs. “Girl’s day?”

“Absolutely.”

~~~~~
18:27 Hours
May 4, 1987
Las Pegasus Police Department
~~~~~

“I look away for not even one minute and you five manage slip away and cause more chaos than Discord.” I told the kids as we walked down the front steps of the police station. “How did you even manage to get onto the casino floor? Not to mention play any of the games? I mean, the blackjack dealer should’ve known from the lack of cutie marks that you all were underage! And then the aquarium. You literally blew up a one hundred thousand bit aquarium.”

“It was the only place big enough to demonstrate the experiment.” Lancaster explained as we turned down the sidewalk back towards the Moondust.

“You can’t just throw a brick of sodium into a gigantic fish tank.” I told him while the others just walked along looking guilty. “And another thing, Scootaloo, you don’t peep on the showmares. Applebloom, if you see a bunch of mares going in a place called the Adam’s Apple, it doesn’t mean there’s apples involved. Sweetie Belle, you actually didn’t do anything really serious so you’re fine. Same with you Rumble.”

“One question though.” Applebloom said as we entered the lobby of the Moondust. “Why were those mares all throwing money at those stallions?”

~~~~~
19:10 Hours
May 4, 1987
Moondust Casino Restaurant
~~~~~

Thunderstreak and I walked around backstage looking for Sabre. As we looked I felt a small smack against my leg and I looked forward to see Brush Stroke waving at us. We gave her a smile as we approached her and we followed her into a dressing room. At a vanity Sabre sat in his black suit looking like it was brand new.

“Look at my baby boy!” Thunderstreak exclaimed as she rushed over and wrapped her hooves around Sabre. He seemed barely able to lift his forelegs to hug her back and I looked over at Brush Stroke with worry. She had the same concerned look in her eyes but like me she kept quiet. “You look so grown up.” Thunderstreak said as she pulled away. He smiled to her and I finally noticed his eyes. The once vibrant, blue eyes now looked exhausted and bleak. He offered us a smile that seemed to say he thought he was doing better than he was.

“I’m glad you guys are here. This’ll be the first show of mine you’ve seen won’t it?” He asked as he looked between Thunderstreak and I.

“Besides you and Brush Stroke’s movie; yeah this’ll be our first show.” I said as I stepped forward to give him a hug. I gently wrapped my arms around him and I felt him do the same before I started to pull away. “So how you feeling?” I asked him as I stepped back.

“Tired. Got a little nap in after my meeting. But I should be good for the show.” Sabre stated as he picked up a glass of water. He took a drink and then gently set the glass back on the vanity top. “You guys probably ought to get back to your table. If what I heard about the aquarium at the Sunrise is true, there might be something destroyed out there.” We nodded and walked out into the hallway where Thunderstreak looked up at me.

“What happened at the Sunrise?”

“Nothing of significance. It’s better not to ask questions.” I told her as we entered the restaurant through a side door. At the table the kids were all sitting talking with each other, much to my relief. At a nearby table Charger sat in his dress blues as Typhoon talked about something I couldn’t make out from a distance. Sitting down at our table I loosened my tie a bit and undid the top button of my white dress shirt. A waiter brought out the night’s meal and a few minutes later the lights dimmed and a spotlight shone on the side of the stage. Sabre appeared and made his way to the center of the stage. He smiled as the crowd applauded and he chuckled as he picked up the microphone. As he gripped it in his magic he began to walk up to the edge of the stage.

“Fillies and gentlecolts, I’d like to thank you all for coming out here tonight. I’m gonna try to do the songs you want to hear. Now without further ado.” The band began to play a song I knew well and Sabre let the intro drag out longer than normal before he began to actually sing.

Somewhere-beyond the sea
Somewhere waiting for me
My lover stands on golden sands
And watches the ships that go sailing

Somewhere-beyond the sea
She’s there watching for me
If I could fly like birds on high
Then straight to her arms
I’d go sailing

It’s far beyond the stars
It’s near beyond the moon
I know beyond a doubt
My heart will lead me there soon

We’ll meet-beyond the shore
We’ll kiss just as before
Happy we’ll be beyond the sea
And never again I’ll go sailing

The band played a bit and Sabre stepped down off the stage. He walked over to our table and grabbed Brush Stroke’s hoof as the music turned into something one could slow dance to. They danced their way around the table before he kissed her hoof and made his way back up onto the stage.

I know-beyond a doubt
My heart will meet me there soon
We’ll meet; I know we’ll meet, beyond the shore
We’ll kiss just as before
Happy we’ll be beyond the sea
And never again I’ll go sailing

No more sailing
So long sailing
Bye, bye sailing
No more aqua
Bye, bye H2O

The band finished the song and the crowd, everyone at our table included, applauded him.

“Thank you. Thank you very much” Sabre said as he attempted to catch his breath. I immediately felt something was wrong and looked over at Thunderstreak. She had a concerned look too when we both looked back to Sabre. He suddenly let out a deep breath and then collapsed.

~~~~~
22:00 Hours
May 4, 1987
Las Pegasus General Hospital
~~~~~

I paced back and forth as hospital security attempted to keep reporters out. The white walls of the waiting room glowed from the lights on the ceiling and I looked at my watch to check the time.

“James, when he’s awake and alert they’ll let us know.” Thunderstreak said as I started pacing again. Just as I was about to turn on my heel and start back the other way the door opened and a light blue unicorn stallion stepped through. His white coat flapped a little with each step he took and I took a step towards him.

“Mister and Missus Jones?” He asked as he put a note pad into his coat pocket.

“Yes?” We replied in unison and he singled us out from the rest of our group.

“Sabre is awake and he should be fine but there is something I think you should know.” We both sat down and he teleported a clipboard into the room that he then began looking over. “I’m afraid his red blood cells aren’t absorbing as much oxygen as they should be. It’s a genetic disease and often times the illness remains dormant. Some carriers can go their entire lives without showing any symptoms of the disease. But usually it emerges itself after an injury and according to medical records he broke his leg while in the service. I feel this is the most likely thing to have brought on the symptoms. Now, I’m afraid he’ll have to use oxygen most of the time. That also includes when he sleeps because the slowed breathing reduces the already low levels of oxygen in his system. He should be fine for his nightly performances as long as he’s on oxygen immediately before and after the show. He should also avoid most physical activities. Now, if you’d like you all can go back to see him but only two at a time.”

Thunderstreak and I stood up and walked out of the waiting room. We made our way down the white hallway and found the room Sabre was in. I opened the door and saw Brush Stroke sitting next to the bed, her hoof holding Sabre’s as he looked at the flowers that had already been sent to him. We made our way in and stopped next to the bed.

“How you feeling kid?” I asked as I kneeled down next to him.

“Tired. Very tired. Who sent the flowers?” He asked through the clear oxygen mask.

“Uh,” I leaned over and looked at the attached card. “Soprano Note.”

“Is he the one down at the Starlight?”

“I think so.” I replied as I looked at something else by the bed. “And Blue Solo sent you a bottle of bourbon.”

“If the hospital food is as bad as all the stories say, I may be surviving off that bourbon.” He said with a chuckle. I stood up and patted his hoof before stepping out into the hallway to give Thunderstreak her time with Sabre. Shutting the door behind me I leaned against the wall and slowly slid down it to sit on the floor. Tilting my head back to rest it against the wall, I sighed and closed my eyes.

“Sir, is everything alright?” A female voice asked and I opened my eyes and looked over to my left. Next to me stood a nurse with a white coat and green eyes who was looking at me with some worry.

“Yeah. Just-do you have any kids?”

“Oh yeah. Twin boys.” She replied with a smile as she sat down next to me.

“How old?”

“Ten. You have any kids, sir?”

“Three plus twins on the way.” I told her with a small smile. “One of my boys is in that room.” I said as my smile dropped and I pointed a thumb to the door next to me. “I knew I should’ve told him to go to the doctor’s sooner but I thought ‘it’s just him eating junk food’. I should’ve said something. I noticed him breathing kind of heavy for months when he’d visit but I still just thought it was from all the junk food. I’m a horrible father.”

“Hey now, don’t you say that. You love your son right?” She asked me as I leaned my head back again.

“Of course.”

“And you’d do anything for him?”

“Absolutely.”

“Then you’re a good father. Every parent makes mistakes. Mine usually involve letting my boys have sweets but we all make big mistakes. That’s usually how you end up with more kids.” She said with a smile and a chuckle. “Well, I probably ought to get back to my rounds.” She stood and stretched her legs before looking back down at me. “Remember, every parent makes mistakes. Don’t beat yourself up over one mistake. You do that and you’ll make more mistakes because of it.” She walked down the hallway and I thought about what she’d said. As I watched her walking away I heard the door open and I turned to see Thunderstreak walk out with Brush Stroke behind her.

“I’m going to take Brush Stroke back to the suite. Will you keep an eye on the kids until I get back?” Thunderstreak asked me and I simply nodded my head in response. Slowly standing up I began my way to the waiting room to escort the kids back to see Sabre.

~~~~~
00:05 Hours
May 5, 1987
Las Pegasus Airfield
~~~~~

I ran my fingertips along the aluminum skin of the Electra. With the end of every panel I felt the rivets slide under my fingers and I smiled at the shine that the reflection of the moon made on the skin of the plane.

“I thought I might find you here.” A tomboyish sounding voice said behind me. I turned around to see Rainbow Dash perched on the wing of the Electra.

“Hey Dash. What’re you doing all the way out here?” I replied as I walked over and climbed up onto the wing to join her.

“I actually need to talk to you about something serious.” Dash answered as I laid down next to her so my view was up to the stars.

“Alright. Shoot.”

“I’m pregnant.”

“Yeah, and I’m the President of the United States.” I replied with a laugh at her statement. “For real Dash, what’d you want to talk to me about?”

“James, I’m serious. The group’s chief medical officer sent me home. I’m pregnant.” I looked over at her and saw she truly was serious.

“Dear God. You really are aren’t you? Well, congrats. I never took you for the motherly type.”

“That’s the thing, James. I’m not the motherly type. Moms don’t become famous fighter pilots or stunt fliers. Moms can’t do fun things like go to Wonderbolts shows or go on weekend trips to Las Pegasus.”

“Plus with you being pregnant you can say goodbye to cider this fall.” I said as I looked back up at the stars. There was the thud of Dash smacking her face against the plane’s skin and she let out a loud groan.

“You just had to mention that didn’t you?” She said with a whine as she flopped over onto the wing.

“Yeah. But think, if you have a filly, you can make her a little Rainbow Dash Junior. Tell her all about how her mom was one of the first mares to fly in combat and what all those medals on your old uniform are. In fact, I probably shouldn’t tell you this, but the royal sisters are filling out the papers to present you the Medal of Valor for the first mission to Gryphus and for helping in Operation Doolittle. You’ll be Equestria’s most highly decorated female service member in history.” I told her as I rolled over onto my side to face her. She looked over at me in shock from what I said.

“The Medal of Valor?”

“Yep. You’ll be the first mare to receive it. Not even Captain Spitfire has been awarded the Medal of Valor. Closest she’s got is the Navy Star.”

“Wow.” Dash said as she looked up at the stars.

“Wanna say you don’t have potential to be a Wonderbolt now? I think if you meet the right stallion you could pull off being the most awesome mom ever and being one of the best stunt pilots in the world.”

“You know,” She rolled over and looked at me. “you’re right. I could totally do that. But there’s a problem. I don’t know many good stallions.”

“Well, what about Thunderlane? He seems like a nice guy. Plus he’s an instructor right there in Ponyville.”

“I suppose. He does seem like he could be a cool guy.” Dash answered as she rolled back over.

“And just because they’ve grounded you, it doesn’t mean you can’t fly in civilian life. In fact, you can start right now. Climb in.” I jumped up and opened the hatch in the roof of the cockpit. Climbing in, I flopped down onto the pilot’s seat and looked out the window at for Dash. A thump next to me made me turn to see Rainbow Dash in the right seat. I reached up and shut the hatch and began running her through the preflight check. Once the engines were running smoothly I let Dash taxi the Electra out to the runway. At night the Las Pegasus airport switched over to uncontrolled airspace as very few planes flew in or out after dark. I slid my headset on and clipped on the throat mic. Reaching down by her seat I grabbed Dash’s headset and throat mic for her. I gave them to her and clicked my microphone on. “November Romeo One Six Zero Two Zero is taking off from runway 1-8.”

“Can you hear me?” Dash asked over the radio.

“Yeah. You hear me?”

“Yep. So where are we gonna go?” She asked as we turned onto the runway.

“Don’t know. Maybe go out to the salt flats north of here. How far along are you?”

“Well the medical officer said it couldn’t have happened more than two weeks ago. Why?”

“I’ve got some cognac and champaign in the back. Maybe we should toast your decoration and the future Rainbow Dash Junior.” I said as I pushed the throttles forward while she grabbed ahold of the control wheel.

“No drinking remember?”

“You’re only a couple weeks along. I don’t think it’s gonna affect the kid if you have a drink or two now. Besides, what’s the worst that could happen?”

~~~~~
08:15 Hours
May 5, 1987
Great Equestrian Salt Flats
174 Miles North of Las Pegasus
~~~~~

My mind slowly began to wake up and I kept my eyes closed yet the red glow of my eyelids still hurt. My head was pounding as I opened my eyes to see the sky and the sun rising from the east. I groaned as I closed my eyes and rolled over. I wrapped my arm around something furry and smiled slightly to myself as I felt the feathered wings of a pegasus against my chest. And then I remembered where I was. My eyes shot open and I saw my arm around Rainbow Dash. Removing my arm I tried to get back and away from her but began flailing as I fell off the trailing edge of the wing. The thud of me landing on the ground awoke the pegasus who slowly and groggily crawled to the back of the wing.

“What’s going on back-“ She froze and her eyes went wide as she looked at me.

“Uh, good morning?” I said as I looked back up at her.

“James, I think we did the nasty.”

“What makes you say that?” I asked. I had already assumed what her answer was but what she said next surprised me in that I hadn’t noticed it before.

“Well, number one is that you’re naked.” I looked down at myself and immediately covered myself with my hands and my mind began running through what to do. “And number two is that we’re both covered in dried sweat.”

“Alright, where are my clothes?” I asked as my mind’s priority went from covering myself to get dressed and make a plan. Getting up I looked on top of the wing and then under it. As I continued to walk around in search of my clothes I heard a snickering from the wing. Turning to look at Dash I saw her looking at me.

“I was satisfied by that?!” She began rolling back and forth on the wing while holding her stomach with laughter.

“Fuck you, Dash!” I shouted as I found my clothes strewn under the nose of the plane.

“You did, remember? And going by the smudges and white spots on the wing I’d say we had one hell of a time.” She said as I put my underwear on.

“Dash, this is serious! I’m a married man who just slept with another mare! Do you know what would happen if all this got out?” I asked as I slid my slacks on.

“Not really.”

“Number one, I’d probably get a divorce and lose everything I care about. Number two, I’d likely end up surrendering my command out of shame. Number three, the princesses would likely not submit the paperwork for your Medal of Valor.” Dash’s face suddenly got very serious at that and she started to realize the gravity of the situation. “And finally, I’d forever be known as the most famous guy who fucked Rainbow Dash.” Buttoning up my shirt I walked over to the main door of the plane and climbed in before sticking my head out and looking at Dash. “Get in! Come on! I think I know somebody who can help us cover this up.” Walking forward to the cockpit I flopped down in the pilot’s seat and the main door slammed in the back.

“Where’re we going? We can’t exactly go back to Las Pegasus like we are.” Rainbow Dash asked as she made her way forward.

“Area 13. I know some guys out there who can keep a secret.”