• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 7,815 Views, 237 Comments

The Jolly Rogers - lockheed



Two F-14A Tomcat's of VF-84 and their crews are transported to Equestria.

  • ...
50
 237
 7,815

7: Secret Bases and Golf Courses

The guards snapped to attention outside the throne room as we all came down the corridor.

“Can we help you Colonel?”

“No. Is Celestia in there?”

“No sir. She went to bed. Princess Luna is at the throne until just before dawn.”

“Then Luna will have to do for now.”

Pushing the doors open I walked up the red carpet towards the throne where Princess Luna was sitting looking rather board.

“Princess Luna, we need to talk. Now.”

“Guards, please wait outside.”

“But Princess Lun-“

“Now.”

“Yes ma’am.”

The bat ponies trotted out into the corridor and shut the door behind them. As soon as we heard the door shut Luna broke into a wide smile.

“I knew there was a reason Tia chose you Colonel. It is because you take charge and you find a way to get what you want. That is a quality we like in a military officer.”

“So you know what Ah found?”

“Of course. I doubt there would be any other reason that you, Admiral Harvard, Captain Stardust, Lieutenant Norseman, and Captain Electra would be here together except you figuring out some of what we are hiding.”

“So I ain’t in trouble for breaking into a top secret government facility?”

“Certainly not. We knew it would only be a matter of time before you figured something out. Think about it for a moment Colonel. Admiral Harvard, Captain Electra, Lieutenant Norseman, they’re all aircraft names.”

“So what about Thunderstreak and her kids?”

“That’s simply a coincidence. I find it rather ironic that of all the mares in Equestria you chose her.”

“Yeah, fucking hilarious. So Ah know there has to be strings attached to this. If you brought us here you can send us back, so one question. Why? Why bring us here?”

“Colonel, we saw the rapid decent of governments around the world and we knew that those events would eventually lead to a war. Several governments in foreign nations have anti-Equestria parties so we knew it would only be a matter of time before another nation attempted to attack us. We have had problems like Changelings in Canterlot before so we knew we needed some of the best warriors in the universe. We just happened to find all of you and then some.”

Luna stepped down from her thrown and led us over to an adjoining room with pictures and documents spread across several tables.

“Hangar Four was only one of our facilities. We have several more hangars in the badlands around twenty miles from Appaloosa. It is really the only place where we can fly aircraft.”

“What kind of aircraft?”

Princess Luna slid a file over to me with Top Secret stamped in red ink on the front. Flipping it open there were pictures of a B-17, B-24, B-25, P-51, Spitfire, F6F, and most of a B-29 at a desert air field.

“Why are you showing me this?”

“Because, your father helped us with our naval fleet and we hoped you would help us with our air fleet. Your father said you studied aviation designs as a child. Can you use that to help us?”

“Ah’ll help on one condition.”

“That is?”

“You send me and everyone else home.”

“In due time we will. In the meantime you’re going to get a star on your shoulders for agreeing to help.”

The blue aura of Luna’s magic unclipped the Colonels pins from my shoulders and replaced them with a polished silver star.

“Now, Brigadier General Jones, you and your friends pack your bags. We leave for the air field in the morning.”

“But what about the Corsair project?”

“We’ll arrange for some ponies to go and take your place. Now, go pack and be ready to leave at five tomorrow morning.”

“Yes ma’am.”

Turning on my heel I hurried out of the room for the bedroom to start packing what little I had. Practically running up the stairs I hurried to the room and began throwing whatever I had in a suitcase that had been in the closet.

“James, what’s going on?” Thunderstreak rolled over to look at me as I packed the suitcase.

“We’ve gotta pack. We’re leavin’ for the badlands at five tomorrow.”

“Five! They can’t even show some generosity and make it ten?”

“Nope. So go make sure the kids are packed cause Ah ain’t leavin’ here without all of ya.”

“Ok.”

Rolling off the bed she landed on her hoofs and trotted over to the door for the next room. As soon as the door opened the sound of the two oldest kids arguing filled my ears.

“Will you two stop arguing?! Don’t make me get the spray bottle again! Start packing your things. James has to go to the badlands and we’re going with him.”

“Now?!”

“No, in the morning but start now. Typhoon I know you definitely need to start now. You need a whole bag just for your make up.”

The kids groaned and began throwing things into their bags.

“And don’t forget to get the soaps and some towels from your bathroom and put those in your bag too.”

“Yes mom.”

She shut the door, trotted over, threw open her suitcase, and tossed a few things in her bag. From where I was standing I could just barely see ruby red fabric in her bag.

“Is that the dress Ah bought ya for the gala?”

“Of course it is. They only let us grab a few things before we left and I wanted to grab the dress I got from the man of my dreams.”

“Ah would have got ya a flower too but Ah couldn’t find one to match your beauty.”

“That’s it!”

Jumping over the bed Thunderstreak tackled me and gave me a seductive look.

“You. Me. Bed. Now.”

“Yes ma’am!”

~~~~~
08:37 Hours
Somewhere in the Badlands
~~~~~

The armored transport train roared down the tracks towards the military base in the middle of the desert. The clinking of cups and saucers drew my attention away from the rapidly passing desert outside the window.

“Would you care for some tea?” An orange unicorn mare in an olive uniform pushed a small cart with cups of tea and coffee along the aisle of the car.

“Coffee please.”

The mare levitated the saucer and with the cup over to me before looking at Thunderstreak.

“And for you ma’am?”

“Coffee.”

Thunderstreak took her coffee and the mare continued down the aisle of the passenger car.

“How do you think the kids are doing?”

“Ah’m sure they’re fine. If anyone should worry about anyone it’s ourselves. It’s a miracle we got any sleep.”

“Told you I was flexible.”

My cheeks felt like they were on fire as I thought about the night before.

“Ya weren’t lying”

“That was something I learned in collage.”

“Well they taught you well.”

“Got an A in history thanks to those moves.”

“Ah can understand why.”

“So when did you get those stars on your shoulders?”

“Last night before you attacked me Luna bumped me up a rank for agreeing to help them.”

“So now I’m dating a general now? I never thought it would ever happen.”

“Well think again sweetheart. Shouldn’t be long now. We left Canterlot at five and Princess Luna said we would reach the base before nine.”

“So what all is at this base?”

“So far all Ah know is they have old warplanes out there. What else or who else is something that Ah don’t know.”

There was a scream from the train whistle and the train began to slow.

“Ah suppose we’re here.”

The train passed through a gate in a razor wire fence and we could see hundreds of ponies going about their work amongst a couple dozen hangars. From the train I could see the runway and the parking area for aircraft where a large bomber with olive and grey paint sat in the sunlight.

“Oh, oh, it’s a B-17! Someone let me off right now!”

“You’re like a colt in a candy store James. Calm down, we’ll be stopped soon enough.”

“Fine. Ah’ve never seen a Flying Fort up close. Ah’m just excited that Ah might get to fly one.”

“Of course you can fly it.”

I turned around and saw Princess Luna standing behind me with a smile.

“I am sure Colonel Ambrose will let you fly it as long as you are careful.”

“Colonel Ambrose?”

“He is another human here on the base. He was the pilot of an aircraft that we brought here. Once we stop I will take you to him.”

“Sounds great. So, what is this place?”

“Restricted area thirteen. The most secure military facility in the world. Here is where we test weapons, house aircraft, and even some captured enemies of our nation.”

“Sounds ‘bout like Area 51 mixed with Guantanamo Bay.”

The train rolled to a stop and I hurried over to the door to get out.

“James, the plane will be there in a bit. Why don’t we let Luna explain why we’re here first.”

“Fine.”

The doors opened and the warm desert air rushed into the train. Stepping down onto the dry, cracked ground we were met by a man around six feet tall with black hair and blue eyes in a light blue uniform shirt with oil and grease smeared on his face.

“You must be James Jones.”

“Eeyup.”

“I’m Colonel Christopher Ambrose but you can call me Chris.”

“Well Chris Ah hope we didn’t interrupt anything.”

“Naw, I was just working on the Superfort in hangar fifteen. So far we’ve got the engines working again but the fabric for the rear controls is being a pain in the ass. Then the Spitfire blew a tire on landing yesterday so it’s getting a new tire and rim in the shop. So all we have for you is the 17, 24, 25, 51, and the Hellcat. As he stood and listed the aircraft that were flyable for the day a sound resembling bees droned in the distance. We all turned and saw three aircraft flying along in the morning sun.

“Looks like we got three more for you General.”

All eyes turned to the sky as the gleaming twin engine Electra led the Texan and a Norseman over the base.

“Let’s head over to the control tower and get a better view.”

The small group headed for the control tower and we climbed the stairs that wrapped around the tower. Walking inside we were surrounded by ponies sitting at primitive radio and radar sets. Walking over to the one facing in the direction of the landing aircraft we stood behind the controller and watched the aircraft slowly descending towards the runway.

“King How Able Queen Queen, cleared to land runway 2-7 right. Texan One follow the Electra on final. Transport Three follow Texan One in and land right behind him.”

The landing gear of the Electra swung down which was followed by the Texan. The Electra seemed to float down towards the runway until the wheels made contact with the concrete with a small puff of white smoke from the rubber. The tail of the Lockheed dropped onto the runway as a the Texan made contact with the runway.

“Let’s go greet them. I think there’s supposed to be some passengers on board too.”

Hurrying down the stairs we jogged the whole way to a hangar where there were roll able steps for the planes. Grabbing two of them Colonel Ambrose and I pushed them out to the tarmac as the planes taxied in. The blindingly polished Electra pulled up to the parking area first and shut down its engines. The props slowed and clicked with every revolution until they completely stopped. We stood by door until it swung open to reveal the elements of harmony all sitting inside along with Spike who was clutching an air sick bag.

“Enjoy the trip?”

The pilot stuck her head into the doorway with a slightly aggravated look.

“Get someone over here that can get dragon puke off a wood navigation table.”

“Miss Earhart they didn’t invent the rank of Private for no reason.”

She hopped out of the plane and gave each of us a quick handshake.

“Ah though Celestia put a spell on the doors at that hangar so you would be ponies when y’all left.”

“She did but she can cancel it out too. She’s in the Norseman if you want to talk to her about it.”

Chris pushed the steps up to the door for the six mares and the green faced dragon to get out of the rapidly warming plane. As we stood around waiting on the Texan and the Norseman to shut down we looked around at all the hangars and ponies trying to stay out of the sunlight and in the cool shadows of the buildings.

“How hot can it get out here?”

“Record is one hundred fifteen degrees.”

“So what the fuck do y’all do when it’s that hot?”

“Mostly sit inside and work on stuff in the hangars. When it was a hundred fifteen out here we pulled all the aircraft into the hangars from the sun and we still couldn’t touch them for almost an hour without getting burned. Some corporal in the Flying Fort’s hangar put a couple hundred globs of cookie dough on the wings and baked cookies for the ground crews.”

“Least he used it to his advantage.”

The engines on the other two aircraft shut down and the props clicked like the Electra’s until they finally stopped. I rolled the other pair of steps over to the Norseman where the door was wide open with Celestia waiting inside.

“I figured it would take you a few months, not the next day to figure it all out.”

“When Ah want to know somthin’ Ah’ll figure it out one way or another.”

“I knew I chose you for some reason.”

“Just get out of the plane so Ah can go fly one.”

Celestia walked down the steps with Captain Miller and the pilot following right behind her. Meeting up with everyone by the Electra we headed for the main hangar where the B-24 was housed. When we entered we found a gleaming silver bomber having what little paint was on it being touched up.

“General Jones, this is the first bird you’ll be flying. We’ll put it outside so the paint will dry faster so it’s ready for tonight.”

“Why can’t he fly it in the daytime?”

“Thunderstreak, the air is thinner in the heat of the day so ya gotta fly at night most of the time when you’re in the desert cause it’s easier to stall from the thin air.”

“Oh.”

“Now General Jones if you’ll follow me I’ll introduce you to the controls so you’ll be ready by tonight.”

~~~~~
22:30 Hours
Area 13
Runway 27 Right
~~~~~

The growl of the four radial engines drowned out every sound except the static in the radio. Finally the tower responded to the take-off request we had radioed almost a full minute before.

“Liberator One you are cleared for takeoff. Runway 2-7 right.”

“This is Liberator One, roger. Cleared for takeoff. Runway 2-7 right.”

I shoved the throttles forward and the engines roared in response. The bomber rolled down the runway until I felt it desperately trying to get into the air. My hands pulled back on the wheel and the bomber sluggishly began climbing towards the cloudless night sky. We circled the base as we climbed and looked at the lights below us. Looking away from the base to the altimeter I leveled the bomber out at eight thousand feet.

“James! See that glowing spot on the horizon?!” Chris yelled in the headset over the engines.

“Yeah!”

“That’s Las Pegasus! We’re gonna want to head in the opposite direction towards Canterlot!”

“Roger that!”

Turning the wheel I spun the plane until the tail turret was facing Las Pegasus. Over halfway towards Canterlot the plane suddenly lurched and the cockpit was illuminated by an orange glow.

“The right outboard is on fire!”

Looking out the window I could see the far right engine belching flames and the prop wind-milling out of control.

“We’ve got to land before it spreads! The extinguishers can only do so much sir!”

“Roger that! There’s a town about fifteen miles dead ahead! Let’s try to land there!”

We nosed the bomber down towards the town, chopped the throttles, and managed to put out most of the fire with the extinguisher.

“We’re at three thousand feet sir! Flight Engineer, kick down the gear and add two notches of flaps!”

“Yes sir Colonel!”

There was a loud clunk as the gear jerked out of the gear bays and snapped into the down position.

“Town is approximately three miles ahead! Turn on the landing light and brace for landing!”

I looked behind me to see the flight engineer watching the town slowly growing in the windows.

“Two miles!”

My mouth tasted of blood from biting my lip in anxiety.

“One mile! This is it!”

The ground lit up in front of us and all we could see was grass. The bomber shuddered violently as we made contact with the ground. As we slammed on the brakes the landing light illuminated something in front of us for half a second before the bomber struck it with a loud bang.

“What the fuck was that?!”

“Who cares?! Let’s just get this big son of a bitch stopped!”

The brakes howled as we kept on them until the bomber stopped. Shutting down the engines we all scrambled out of the bomber and saw white smoke coming off the brake pads.

“Ok so where are we?”

As we stood looking around at the darkness I noticed something lodged in the belly of the plane. Reaching down I pulled it out and looked at the small yellow and black checkered flag on the thin metal pole.

“What the hell is that General?”

“It’s a golf course flag. We’re on a fucking golf course!”

“Of all the places to land we ended up on a god damned golf course with a flag in the belly and a crispy engine.”

“Guess we’re just a bunch of bad luck chucks ain’t we?”

“Yep. So where are we?”

As we stood looking around we saw more lights on in town than when we had landed along with lanterns and voices growing closer towards us.

“Looks like we woke the locals. Let’s hope they aren’t pissed we woke them up.”

“Ah hope so too.”

It was about five minutes later when the few stallions from town reached us and stared wide eyed at the bomber.

“Are you all alright?”

“Yeah. Just had a little engine fire. Do you have a phone we can use?”

“Of course. Are you three going to need somewhere to sleep tonight? We can set you guys up in the inn if you like.”

“It’s fine, we can get back to base soon.”

“Alright well you can use the phone at my house. I’m sure my wife will want to meet Equestria’s newest most handsome stallion.”

“They’re callin’ me a stallion? That’s a new one. Ah figured everyone’d see me as an ugly hairless monkey.”

“Obviously not.”

We all set off for the small town with the stallions leading the way.