• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 7,805 Views, 237 Comments

The Jolly Rogers - lockheed



Two F-14A Tomcat's of VF-84 and their crews are transported to Equestria.

  • ...
50
 237
 7,805

15: A Date Which Will Live in Infamy

~~~~~
12:00 Hours
December 12, 1986
Canterlot Palace
~~~~~

Flashbulbs illuminated the grand ballroom of the palace as Princess Luna stepped up to the podium. From my spot off stage I looked on as Princess Celestia stepped up next to me.

“We all knew war was inevitable, but we should have been better prepared.”

“Princess, I hope you know that no one blames you for what happened.”

“Your father wrote this speech for me. I only hope that we will be better prepared in the future.”

Princess Luna finished her short speech and Celestia made her way to the podium where flashbulbs again lit up the room.

“Yesterday, December 11, 1986 - a date which will live in infamy – Equestria was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Griffin and Changeling Empires. The changelings have, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Haycific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The citizens of Equestria have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation. As commander in chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense. Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the Equestrian military in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory. I hereby declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by the griffins and changelings on Thursday, Dec. 11, a state of war has existed between Equestria, the Griffin Empire, and the Changeling Empire.”

She stepped down from the podium as questions were shouted about the attack and we hurried to the national military headquarters on the far side of the castle. As we walked into the headquarters we were met by the other generals and some officers from the Crystal Empire.

“I want a full briefing on the attack as well as information on when the soonest we can strike them back is.” Celestia ordered as she took her seat at the table in the middle of the room. Taking my seat to her left an admiral stood up to give a briefing.

“Your highness, we have reports that the Phoenix has been sunk with over a thousand sailors still trapped inside. We also have reports that a changeling mini sub was sunk by DD-139 outside of Honoluna yesterday morning before the attack.”

“And this information wasn’t relayed to western fleet headquarters at that point why?”

“It was believed that the situation was handled at that point your highness.”

“Well obviously not admiral. General Silverwing, what are the reports on the status of the air bases in the affected cities?”

A white pegasus stallion in a blue uniform stood up and looked around at the others at the table.

“Your highness, we have reports that over six hundred aircraft have been either damaged or destroyed. Some pilots were able to get airborne and have claimed twenty enemy aircraft shot down.”

“Thank you general. General Jones, do you have any suggestions?”

“I do actually. You see, when I had Admiral Harvard add the larger aircraft elevators to CV-1 I had a special operation in mind. This mission, operation codename Doolittle, would enable us to strike at the heart of the Changeling Empire. But we would need full cooperation between the air force and the navy for the mission. As for the Griffin Empire we can start establishing bases in the Crystal Empire for strikes against targets deep inside their territories.”

“General Jones,” A navy captain stood up and looked over at me “how do you propose the air force would be any help with this unknown operation of yours?”

“Operation Doolittle is the launching of R.E.A.F. medium bombers off the Hornet.”

“Are you mad? You can’t launch an air force bomber off a navy aircraft carrier! It can’t be done!”

“Actually captain, it has been done before so don’t tell me it can’t be done.”

“This is why I like General Jones.” Celestia said as she looked around at the other military officers. “He doesn’t have time for bullshit, and neither do I. General Jones, I want you to head Operation Doolittle and get it underway as soon as possible.”

“Yes ma’am.”

“Very good. I want the rest of you to be preparing to launch an all-out attack against the enemy in any way you can.” She stood up and walked out of the headquarters leaving us all sitting at the table. In the corner of the room teletypes were continually typing out messages from all around Equestria but one of the sergeants manning the machines grabbed one of the papers from a machine and brought it over to me.

On behalf of the captain of the Fillydelphia, request that the Equestrian Medal of Valor be awarded to Lieutenant Colonel Marko Loginov for his service at Honoluna during the attack of December eleventh.

“Good god. Gentlemen, please excuse me. I need to get back to Ponyville.”

~~~~~
14:00 Hours
Ponyville Aerodrome
December 12, 1986
~~~~~

The engines on the silver C-47 shut down as the door swung down. From the airplane emerged Marko in his blood stained olive uniform with a black patch covering his left eye.

“Welcome home Marko. I needn’t ask how your trip was.”

“So when are you putting Doolittle in effect?”

“As soon as possible. How long do you need to wear the eye patch?”

“A while. When does the Hornet launch?”

“Seventeenth. I need air crews and someone to put them together. Tell me you would be up to that.”

“Of course sir.”

“You’ve also been awarded the Medal of Valor which is basically Equestria’s version of the Medal of Honor and the Silver Star. You are to report to Canterlot tomorrow where you and five others will be awarded the Medal of Valor for service during the attacks.”

“Not important. What’s the status of the eastern fleet?”

“It’s in far better condition than the western and the fools neglected to hit dry-docks and ship building facilities during the attack so the keels we already have laid down for three cruisers and a new battleship are unharmed.”

“Very good. General, I bid you a good day.” He snapped to attention and gave a quick salute before turning on his heel and walking off for his office. Standing on the tarmac I looked up at the sky as fighter planes from another airbase flew overhead towards Manehattan. Turning around I walked towards the gate where the two MPs saluted me but I didn’t even bother saluting them back. Making my way through the streets of Ponyville I ignored the colt selling newspapers with the headline of ‘WAR!’ printed on them. As I turned onto the block that the house was on I saw reporters waiting outside for me. Shielding my eyes from the flashbulbs I made my way to the door and breathed a sigh of relief at the peacefulness. Making my way into the kitchen I grabbed the phone off the hook and pressed zero.

“Operator.”

“Connect me with Canterlot please.”

“One moment sir.”

“Canterlot operator.”

“Connect me to the royal palace.”

“Please hold sir.”

“For fuck’s sake. It’s the palace, how many folks could be calling?”

“Royal palace.” The exhausted voice of Princess Celestia’s assistant answered.

“This is General Jones. Can you connect me to Celestia’s mountain house?”

“One moment sir.”

Sighing I grabbed a chair and sat down by the phone as I heard someone answer the other end. The sound of Thunderstreak’s voice relaxed me after the day I had had.

“Hello?”

“Hey honey.”

“I heard Celestia’s speech on the radio. How many are really dead?”

“We won’t know for sure for days, maybe weeks. There are still around a thousand still assumed trapped inside. If we can’t get any out in a week they’re all to be reported as KIA.”

“That’s awful. Please tell me there are plans to get back at those bastards.”

“There are but this isn’t a secured line so I can’t tell you what they are. We got a bunch of registration forms from ponies wanting to avenge the attacks today and it’s just been one giant pain in my ass.”

“I’m sorry.”

“How are the kids?”

“They’re fine. They love the view from here. I really wish you could be here too.”

“So do I but I’m needed here. Especially with the operation we have planned and maybe when you get back from the mountains in a few weeks I’ll have a surprise for you.”

“Like what?”

“If I told you then it wouldn’t be a surprise would it?”

“No. Aw shit, Lancaster just pickpocketed a guard. I’ll call you back in a bit. Love you!”

“Love you too.”

There was a click and I hung up the phone as I heard a knocking on the door. Hurrying to the door I opened it up and Marko rushed in and slammed the door. He breathed a sigh of relief and pulled a manila folder from his briefcase that he presented to me.

“What are these?”

“Files on the pilots I think could be up to the job for Doolittle.”

“Come on. We can discuss this in my office.”

Walking down the hallway I glanced at the family picture on the wall of all of us just a week before the attack.

“You’re very lucky sir. I never had a family of my own.”

“It’s never too late. I’m proof of that.”

“I suppose so sir but I’ve yet to meet a mare who gets me like Thunderstreak does you.”

“We all have our Thunderstreak somewhere Marko. You just have to search.” I told him as I sat down at my desk. Marko took a seat across from me as I flipped through the files.

“I see you have Captain Macintosh and Major Dash in here. I can see Mac but Dash? Mac is a good pilot and flies by the book but Rainbow Dash can be reckless. Not to mention she’s cocky, arrogant, and she’s only qualified in fighters like the forty and thirty nine. Not a Mitchell. I trust her to run a squadron of mares because they’re all quite frankly shitty pilots, but her at the controls of a twin engine bomber taking off from an aircraft carrier? Her guts would be splattered all across the water.”

“Sir, I would not have put her in there if I didn’t believe she could do it.”

“I understand that Marko but I’m not just looking out for her safety. I’m also looking out for the five crewmembers on her plane. If she fucks up that’s six fliers less we have towards the war effort.”

“I know sir but I feel if we have someone here in Ponyville that can help this mission it’s Major Dash.”

“And again I trust her with a scrap worthy P-40. Not a brand new B-25. But if you feel she’ll be useful then get her and the other flyers together at the field in a week.”

“Yes sir.”

~~~~~
10:00 Hours
December 19, 1986
Ponyville Aerodrome
~~~~~

Eighty flyers stood at attention in a line before me with their uniforms freshly cleaned and most of them seemed not yet to have seen the age of twenty-five.

“You are all here as part of a secret program ordered into action by Princess Celestia herself. This mission is dangerous and could prove deadly. Any of you brave enough to accept, step forward.”

All eighty took a step forward and I led them to the sixteen B-25Bs and B-25Cs that lined the tarmac of the airfield. Leading them to the B-25B that would serve as my bomber during the training I walked them around it before stopping by the left side of the nose.

“Your grandmother could take a B-25 off a mile long runway. I’m going to teach you how to do it in three hundred eighty six feet. Because at three hundred eighty seven feet, you’re dead. Those flags on the runway mark the point you need to be at by the time you take off. For this I need a copilot and aircrew.”

A red stallion stepped forward and four other stallions followed suit. Climbing into the cockpit I took the left seat and Mac climbed into the right. Down below we heard the bombardier shut the hatch and make his way to the nose. Flipping the battery switch I plugged the throat mike and headset in and did the usual check before calling role.

“Copilot?”

“Eeyup.”

“Bombardier?”

“Here sir.”

“Turret gunner?”

“Locked and loaded sir.”

“Tail gunner?”

“I hate these goddamn tail turrets!”

“Flight engineer?”

“Here.”

“Alright, let’s roll.”

Sliding the window open I stuck my head out and looked down at the seventy one ponies and four men below me.

“Clear prop!”

They all ran in the opposite direction and I flipped the magnetos and depressed the starter. Watching the prop slowly spin before the engine fired and roared to life I had Mac slide open his window as I fired up the other engine.

“Tower this is Red Leader, request permission to taxi to runway 3-6.”

“Red Leader this is tower. Taxi to runway 3-6 using the taxiway in front of you.”

“Roger that.”

Pushing the throttles forward a half inch the engines shook the plane as she slowly started to roll. Pulling back on the right one I let it spin around towards the taxiway.

“Alright Mac, it’s basically like your 17 but with two less engines and a nose wheel. Just steer with your throttles and you should do fine.”

“Ah learned in an A model. Ah know what Ah’m doin’.”

“Alright then. She’s yours till the runway.”

Laying my head back I closed my eyes and listened to the roar of the engines until a poking at my shoulder. Looking over I saw Mac pointing ahead and I saw the runway and the bright red flags. Dropping thirty degrees of flaps I held the brakes as I pushed the throttles all the way forward. Holding it until it was at max rpm I heard a cry of “Let her go before she shakes apart!” before I released the breaks. The bomber lurched forward and the red flags fast approached. Pulling back on the stick the nose wheel stayed firmly planted on the runway as we rolled past the markers.

“Fuck!”

Chopping the throttles I let it slow and we turned onto a taxiway. We rolled up to the parking area and the other aircrews watched as we shut everything down. Climbing down from the front hatch I waved the crew chief over.

“I want you to strip this plane of all unnecessary equipment. Including that bombsight.”

“Yes sir.”

“Alright, the rest of you are dismissed until the bomber’s ready.”

They all walked away for the rec hall but a cyan mare turned around and approached me.

“General?”

“Yes major?”

“I could see when you walked down the line earlier you didn’t like me being here.”

“Major, don’t take this personal but to me you seem reckless. You pull unpermitted stunts over the base, you wrecked the first fighter the air force gave you, and you focus more on impressing Colonel Spitfire than doing your job.”

“If that’s how I truly act then here are these.”

She pulled the silver wings form her uniform and dropped hem at my feet. Just as I was about to talk she turned and trotted away for the base gates. ‘Fuck. What did I just do?’

~~~~~
11:04 Hours
Golden Oaks Library
Ponyville
~~~~~

“You did what?”

“Twilight, I know I fucked up but can you try to get her to take her wings back?”

“I can try but have you met Dash?”

“Yes. She’s a stubborn asshole but I need her for this mission.”

“So why did you tell her all that?”

“Because if I don’t pull off this mission it’s my ass on the chopping block so I’m under a bit of stress.”

“That’s still no reason to say what you said!” Twilight replied as she paced the floor.

“Look, I don’t think I’ll get her back to base and I don’t want to get someone from the goddamn reserves to replace her.”

“Fine, I’ll talk to her but don’t expect me to get her back for you.”

“Thank you Twilight. Call me later with any news.”

~~~~~
15:10 Hours
December 19
Ponyville Aerodrome
~~~~~

Climbing into the stripped down bomber I followed the normal checklist before taking it out to the runway. Pushing the throttles forward I held the brakes until a green flare rose above the field. Releasing the brakes I let the bomber roll towards the flags. I began pulling back on the stick and the nose wheel lifted but the main gear remained firmly planted to the runway as we rolled past the flags. Chopping the throttle I parked it and gave it over to the crew chief.

“Do whatever you can to lose weight on this thing. Lose the armor plating if you have to.”

“The armor?”

“Are you questioning my authority sergeant?”

“No sir.”

“Then lose the goddamn armor.” I saw Rainbow Dash standing by the nose of another bomber off to the side watching me. “Everyone go play ping pong or something. I got someone to talk to.” They all dispersed and I walked over to the sky blue pegasus in her olive uniform.

“Twilight came by my house and talked to me. I’m sorry. You’re right. I can be reckless, arrogant, and I’m not the best squad leader.”

“Major, I should not have said what I did. Yes I didn’t originally want you on this mission but if you swear to fly as I tell you, I’ll keep you on the mission roster and put in a promotion request for you at headquarters.”

“You would ask them to promote me if I fly right?”

“Only if you promise to fly as I tell you.”

“Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

“Then I’ll send in the paperwork. Oh and here’s this.” Reaching in my pocket I pulled out silver wings and gave them over to her. Rainbow Dash happily pinned the wings to her uniform and looked up at my bomber.

“So what’s the target for the mission anyways?”

“That, major, is classified.”

Walking away I headed for the Tomcat hangar where the Iroquois sat waiting. I climbed on board and slid the door shut. The pilot started it up and the blades turned into a blur as the blue and white helicopter lifted from the ground. Looking down at the ground personnel I thought about the mission in a couple of months before grabbing the bottle of champagne in the ice bucket by my seat. Popping the cork I grabbed a glass and poured myself a drink. “Damn, I should have been a general a long time ago.”

~~~~~
17:24 Hours
December 19, 1986
The Royal Mountain House
~~~~~

Sliding the door to the helicopter open I looked down at the landing spot and Thunderstreak off to the side of it. Swinging my legs out I placed my feet on the skid and hopped out before the chopper was on the ground. Looking up at the pilot a few feet above me I waved to him before jogging to Thunderstreak. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I grabbed her carefully around the waist.

“And how is the most beautiful mare in the world?”

“Better now that her handsome husband is here. The kids have missed you.”

“Is that why they aren’t here?”

“Actually I didn’t tell them. Thought I’d make it a surprise.”

“I hope they like it.”

We walked up the small incline towards the mansion that sat atop the mountain. From what I could see of it, it was made of grey stone that blended into the surrounding mountains and royal guards stood at attention all around it. Out on the deck I saw Typhoon sunning herself while Corporal Charger stood guard next to her. Walking up the steps I saw her look up at the sound of my boot nails on the wooden deck. As soon as she saw me she jumped up and ran over to me. Bending down I gave her a hug which she eagerly returned.

“Now, where’s your brother?”

“He’s in the library. He’s barely left that room since we got here.”

“Well let’s go surprise him.”

Standing up I let Thunderstreak lead me, Typhoon, and Charger through the house towards the library. Looking around at the oak paneled walls I admired the many painting depicting life and history in Equestria. We turned a corner and walked past giant oak doors into a vast two story library that was seemingly overflowing with books.

“Lancaster!” Thunderstreak called out and it echoed slightly before a blue head popped up over the railing of the second floor.

“Yeah mum?” He looked over at me and I gave a small wave to him. He galloped over to the staircase and all the way down. “Hi dad!”

“Hey buddy. Your sister tells me you’ve been hanging out in here.”

“Not just hanging out here.” Thunderstreak said as she stepped up next to me. “Sleeping in here too. He’s got a sleeping bag all set up upstairs with a little book fort all around him. I swear he’s gonna be as bad as Twilight when it comes to libraries.”

“What’s wrong with libraries? In a world of fools it’s the only intelligent place I can go.” Lancaster said which made me laugh.

“Aren’t you a bit young to be antisocial?”

“I’m not antisocial, just selectively-social.”

“I also heard you pickpocketed a guard.”

“I read how in a book on shelf fifty six.”

“I think you need to get out of the library. Maybe watch that show you like. What was it again?”

“Doctor Whooves.”

“Yeah. I think there’s supposed to be a new episode on tonight. Let’s watch it and then you can spend the rest of the night in the library if you want.”

“Alright.”

“Good. Now, let’s go eat. I’m starving.”

We all made our way out with Thunderstreak leading the way again. Walking down a couple more hallways we entered the kitchen which looked big enough to cook for an army. We stood waiting for a few moments before the head chef approached us and gave a quick bow.

“What may I fix for the general and his family?”

“I was thinking pizza.”

“Then it will be done. We will bring it to the dining room when it is ready.”

“Thanks. Hey, what are your policies on midnight snacks?”

“The staff goes to their homes at the base of the mountain every evening so the kitchen is yours.”

“Fantastic.”

~~~~~
20:00 Hours
December 19
Library of the Mountain House
~~~~~

Walking into the darkened library I saw a light on the second level and made my way up the stairs. Looking around the corner of a book case I saw Lancaster lying in his sleeping bag with his face in a book. Knocking on the case he looked up at me from inside his little book fort.

“Permission to enter?”

“Granted.”

Walking over I took a seat next to him and he set down his book. Looking over at it I saw it was easily college level or over. Reaching inside my jacket I pulled out a small book that was brightly illustrated.

“I, uh, Will made this little book for you and I thought I’d give it to ya.”

Handing him the book I saw him look it over before giving it back to me.

“Can you read it to me?”

“Sure.”

Flipping open the book to the first page I cleared my throat before commencing.

“Twas the night before Christmas,
And all through the camp.
Enlisted men sleeping, MPs on a nap.
Snuggled up warmly in their OD beds.
Dreams of no PT danced in their heads.

“The grass swayed silently on the parade grounds.
Soft white snow covered the campground.
Mailroom letters of holiday cheer.
A pine tree bearing standard issue gear.

“All was still, from the rifles and ammunition.
To all the soldiers, with or without commission.
2330 hours with a clam winter breeze.
Not a single thing stirring all were at ease.

“Then out of the clouds a dark figure did appear.
A floppy hat and facial hair of white.
Big round barrel, red snout so bright.
His sack held presents for the armed forces.
Wonderful gifts for Celestia’s horses.

“He landed his sleigh atop the rec. room.
Dressed in camouflaged woodland costume.
Quietly he moved, and performed his routine.
Being extra careful not to be seen.

“He climbed off the roof without a peep.
And noticed twenty pounds of snow in the captain’s jeep.
With a wave of his hoof the snow melted away.
A private will thank him come Christmas day.

“On his way back, a wire did snap.
This was the sound of the master sergeant’s trap.
With a double-barreled shotgun came the first shirt.
He screamed into the intercom, putting the base on alert.

“Ponies grabbed their rifles, helmets, and bandolier.
Galloping out, battle ready, without any fear.
They had him surrounded, ponies all around.
He looked around but no escape could be found.

“With rifles trained upon his head.
The dark figure shot first, with a burst of hot lead.
‘He has a gun!’ they did discover.
Everypony rushed and ducked for cover.

“No one could shoot back, the troops tried their best.
Some how he had the whole base suppressed.
In a blaze of gunfire, he moved hoof after hoof.
Shooting and climbing to the top of the roof.

“The figure took off, his guns still spitting lead.
30 caliber bullets wising just overhead.
But I heard him shout, as he flew out of sight.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight!

“Then came the morning, Christmas day.
But there was absolutely no sign of foul play.
No bullet shells, no tracks from a sleigh.
There is no other answer, Santa’s a green beret.”1

Closing the book I looked down at the sleeping colt next to me. Leaning down I gave him a quick kiss on the head before quietly getting up and heading down stairs. Turning left I made my way to the kitchen and found it already occupied. On the counter Thunderstreak sat with a spoon and a tub of ice cream.

“Mind if I join you?”

“Not at all. Spoons are in the third drawer to your right.”

Pulling out the drawer I grabbed a spoon and hopped up on the counter top with her.

“So why are you down here eating ice cream by yourself?”

“Because I’m four months pregnant and around this time in my last pregnancy I tried eating everything I could.”

“At least the princesses are paying for this food and not me.”

“Yeah cause we’d be broke and then some.”

“Listen, I’ve been thinking about all this and I think we should think up some names.”

“Alright, like what?”

“Well, James Jones the third has a nice ring to it.”

“Oh geez. James, while it’s a nice name, what if they’re more pony than human?”

“Ok. How about Lightning? Or maybe Mustang?”

“I was thinking maybe Starfighter. I saw the blueprints in your office a few weeks ago and the name seemed nice.”

“How about Phantom?”

“Sounds a bit scary.”

“Alright, let’s discuss this tomorrow.” Digging into the ice cream I sat and ate with Thunderstreak for nearly a half hour before talking her into putting the ice cream away and going to bed. Letting her lead the way she lead me upstairs to the bedroom where she had been staying. Looking around at the extravagant room and the large bed I noticed doors to a balcony. Walking over I opened the doors and walked out into the cold night air. Looking up at the clear sky I saw what looked billions of stars all across the sky. Looking down at the deck below I saw Typhoon leaning on the railing and looking up at the sky. The sound of hooves on the wooden deck got our attention and I saw Charger walking out in his uniform.

“Hey honey, come here.” I said in a whisper loud enough for Thunderstreak to here and she made her way to the balcony with me. Looking down at her I saw she was already in her black robe. She looked down at the deck with me and we saw Charger offer Typhoon his uniform jacket to cover up. She draped the jacket over herself and they proceeded to converse about something. Just as I was about to go back in I saw something unexpected, Charger lean over and kiss Typhoon.

“Hey! You get away from my daughter!” I shouted and they both wheeled around in shock and I saw the blood drain from their faces. Turning around I hurried downstairs and made my way towards the deck. Just as I swung the door open I came face to face with Charger and wrapped my hand around his throat. Pinning him up against the wall I reached for the holster on my hip. Finding the gun missing I looked at the squirming colt before me.

“That’s ok. I’d rather kill you with my hands anyway.” Squeezing his throat I watched him gasp for air as Typhoon and Thunderstreak attempted to pull me away from him.

“James! Let him go!”

“I’ll kill the little son of a bitch if it’s the last thing I do!”

Finally they managed to pull me away and Charger dropped to the floor trying to catch his breath. After downing a couple of shots of whiskey from the kitchen I was willing to sit down and listen to whatever he had to say. Going into the library we all sat down in the chairs in the center area of the first floor. Looking over at the light brown stallion I felt my rage bubbling up again.

“Dad, listen. I know you thought he was gay but the truth is that he’s bisexual. He tends to lean towards guys but I’m the exception.”

“So I shouldn’t kill him why?”

“Because I love him. He finally admitted he liked me a day or so after we arrived.”

“Well he better keep his hooves to himself or I will kill him. Family bodyguard or not.”

“Sir,” Charger stood up and approached me “I would never hurt your daughter. I love her too much.”

“You’ve known her for a couple weeks.”

“No offence sir, but you and Mrs. Thunderstreak moved in together after only a week.”

“Don’t get smart with me corporal. I can have you working in the frozen north or in the jungles of Vietmane fighting the changelings at a moment’s notice. And I will ensure it happens if you ever hurt her.”

“Yes sir. I apologize for not telling you sooner.”

“It’s alright. But I’ll be watching you. Even when you don’t think so, I’m watching you. Pop quiz, what am I doing now?”

“Watching me sir?”

“That’s right. Now both of you go to bed. And if I catch you two out of bed together after ten while I’m here I’ll make sure he’s deployed and you young lady will be grounded. Now I am going to bed. If anyone wakes me up before ten tomorrow I’ll kill ‘em.”

Making my way to the second floor of the library I went out into a second floor hallway I headed for the bedroom. Opening the door I flopped down on the bed and removed my tie and cap. Unbuttoning my uniform I laid down as Thunderstreak came in and sat next to me.

“Thank you for not killing him.”

“It took everything in my power not to.”

“I know honey but she’s seventeen and will be graduating in the spring. You can’t protect her for the rest of her life.”

“Wanna bet? She’s my daughter now and if something happens to her I don’t think I’d be able to handle it. And that goes for Sabre and Lancaster too. I love all of them and I’ll protect them as best I can. Someone breaks her heart; I’ll break the little bastard’s neck.”

“I know sweetie but they need to fall and get hurt before they go out into the real world. Because if they don’t they’ll get hurt then and be living in our house for the rest of their lives. And I really don’t want to be cooking for three when we’re old and grey.”

“I know. Oh and before I forget, my dad, his friends, and all our friends from Ponyville are coming out here for Christmas.”

“Great. One more Jones I get to deal with. Was your dad this bad tempered about when your sisters had boyfriends?”

“He used to greet them at the door with either a shotgun, his machete, or a hand grenade.”

“Did he ever nearly kill any?”

“All the time. There was one that nearly lost his head when dad came out with his gun.”

“Great. Well, I’m going to sleep. Goodnight sweetie.”

“Goodnight.”

Author's Note:

1: the Christmas story was borrowed from here http://firstawesomeplatoon.deviantart.com/art/Seasons-greetings-from-santa-hoofs-290211967 with a few changes. I hold no claim to it.