• Published 17th Aug 2013
  • 7,805 Views, 237 Comments

The Jolly Rogers - lockheed



Two F-14A Tomcat's of VF-84 and their crews are transported to Equestria.

  • ...
50
 237
 7,805

25: The Bandito and the Fox

~~~~~
20:30 Hours
February 6, 1987
Ponyville Dance Hall
~~~~~

“As in the Colonel Stauffenberg that planted a bomb at the Wolf’s Lair?” I asked as I sat down.

“Indeed.” He replied as he lifted his beer mug to his lips with his left hand.

“I see they placed you with the Military Intelligence Department.” I said as I looked over his uniform. His peaked cap sat on the counter and I noticed the purple trim on it. “I’ve yet to see a division with purple trim on their uniforms though.”

“It’s a new branch of the department. Our division’s mission is to kill Hitler and bring down his new regime.” Stauffenberg said as I took a sip of an unattended beer.

“Alright, next question. How are you speaking English?”

“Some sort of technology the princesses gave me.” He replied as he took off the unit pin on his collar. “As long as I have this on or near me, everything I say is translated into English and I can understand everything people say to me.” He placed the pin on the counter and I looked it over.

“No technology, just good ol’ fashioned magic. Translation spell. They use it on the fences of our POW camps.” I said as I gave the pin back to him. He pinned it back onto his uniform and we sat at the bar in silence for a length of time before I finished off my drink and bid him goodnight.

~~~~~
07:00 Hours
February 7, 1987
1237 N. Main St.
Ponyville
~~~~~

I opened my eyes and looked at the ringing alarm clock on my bedside table. Reaching over I shut off the clock and rolled over to face Thunderstreak who was staring at me.

“Good morning.”

“Fuck you and everything you stand for.” She replied as she rolled over to go back to sleep.

“Love you too.” I told her as I sat up in bed. Swinging my legs out over the side I got up and walked down the hall to the bathroom. Turning on the shower I placed my hand under the stream of water to test the temperature and adjusted the shower multiple times. Finally it seemed close to reasonable as it seemed the only options were scalding or freezing. Climbing in I made sure to shower quickly and I was out within fifteen minutes. Wrapping a towel around myself I stepped out into the hallway. Returning to the bedroom I flipped through the clothes in the closet for my uniform. Laying out my uniform I slipped on my khaki colored riding pants and the knee height leather boots. Tucking in the khaki colored shirt I slipped on my olive colored dress jacket and buttoned it up.

“Where’re you going?” Thunderstreak asked without rolling over.

“Out.”

“Out where?”

“Just out. Thought I might run by the store, get some groceries. Then maybe swing by Sweet Apple Acres and see if they need help cleaning up. Not much else to do around here on a Saturday.” I told her as I put on my cap. She rolled over and looked at me.

“You’re going grocery shopping in your dress uniform?”

“Well my class B is at the cleaners and I don’t exactly have a sweater so this is the best I’ve got.”

“Alright, I’ll call Rarity in a bit and see if she can make a sweater for you.” She said as she rolled back over. I walked out into the hallway and downstairs to the living room where I found the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Lancaster all sitting in front of the TV watching Saturday morning cartoons. “I’m going to the store. Anyone need anything?”

“The store?! Are you going in the car?!” Lancaster asked excitedly.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Can I come?!”

“Well of course. Get your coat and scarf and we’ll get going.”

He hurried over and grabbed his coat and scarf from the rack on the wall. The Cutie Mark Crusaders followed him and grabbed their coats. Lancaster slipped on his blue/grey coat and wrapped his blue scarf around his neck.

“Alright, let’s go.”

He hurried out to the car and the girls followed him to the garage and I thought I noticed Applebloom’s cheeks were red. Walking out behind them I walked out to the garage and opened up the door. The wind stung as it hit my face and I climbed into the car. Starting the car I looked in the back seat where the kids were all sitting looking back at me.

“Seatbelts?”

They all clamored for the two seatbelts, each going around two of them. As I was watching Sweetie Belle struggle with the buckle I noticed Applebloom sitting close to Lancaster. Shifting into reverse I backed out of the driveway and drove through the snowy streets of Ponyville. As I drove I waved to Lyra who was sitting on a bench by the square talking with a marine drill sergeant. Driving through the square I turned left and turned into the parking lot of the grocery store. “Alright, couple ground rules. Number one is only one box of sugary cereal for each of you. Number two is no running off. You all stick close to me alright?” I asked as we all climbed out of the car. They all agreed and we made our way into the store. Grabbing a cart I began to push it up and down the aisles. While I looked over a can of ravioli I felt a tug at my pant leg. Looking down I saw the kids looking up at me.

“Can we go get some candy from the next aisle over?”

“Yes but only one candy for each of you.”

They hurried off around the corner into the next aisle and I placed a couple cans of ravioli in the cart. Pushing the cart into the next aisle I saw the kids bringing four giant gummy bears towards the cart.

“What the hell is that?”

“Five pound gummy bears.” Lancaster replied as they stood up on their back legs to place them in the cart.

“Well go ahead and get your mom and I one too.” Looking up from the cart I saw Colonel Stauffenberg placing a bag of candy into a small basket. Walking down towards him I looked at the candy in his basket. “Hard candy? You don’t look that old to me colonel.” He turned around to face me and I noticed he wasn’t wearing his pin. “Haben sie was vergessen Herr Oberst?” (Forget something colonel?) I asked as I pointed to his coat collar.

“Ja.”

“Hier. Nehmen sie eine von diesen.” (Here. Take one of these.) I told him as I pulled a small white pill from my inside pocket.

“Was ist das?” (What is this?) He asked as he took the pill from me.

“Eine besondere Pille, um die ich die Prinzessin bat für Verhöre aufzutreiben. Man nimmt sie und sie übersetzt alles was man sagt. Wir zermahlen sie normalerweise und vermischen sie mit Wasser.” (Special pill I had the princesses whip up for interrogations. You take it and it translates what you’re saying. We normally grind them up and mix them into water.) I explained to him. He swallowed the pill and a few moments later he looked at me

“Is it working yet?” He asked and I gave a small nod.

“Amazing isn’t it? They can do just about anything here when it comes to magic or medicine.” I told him as the kids brought two more giant gummy bears and set them in the cart. Stauffenberg looked down at the kids and I noticed he gave a small smile.

“Are they yours?”

“Only Lancaster. Kids, say hello to Colonel Stauffenberg.” I said as they all looked at the man with the eye patch. They all said hello and I could tell they were all keeping themselves from asking about his injures. “How long have you been in Equestria colonel?”

“Only a few days.” He replied.

“How much money did the princesses give you?” I asked and he pulled out his billfold. He opened it up, trying not to drop it as he did, and I saw a five hundred bit note inside. “That’s a very handsome amount.” I said as he put his billfold away and picked up his basket. “Where are you staying here in town colonel?”

“A little inn on the edge of town.”

“Oh that won’t do. Tell you what, you can take the guest room at our house and since the girls are staying over they can just stay in Typhoon’s room. Just come on over around five and we’ll all have dinner together. Let you get to know the family.”

“I do not wish to intrude.”

“Oh, it’s alright. Besides, it’ll be nice having another guy around the house. Don’t get me wrong I love my wife but I’m swimming in an estrogen ocean.” I said with a small laugh.

“So what time did you say dinner is served?”

~~~~~
07:59 Hours
February 7, 1987
On the road to Sweet Apple Acres
~~~~~

As we drove down the small dirt and gravel road towards the orchard I noticed a turn up ahead.

“Hey kids, wanna try something fun?”

“Yeah!”

Turning the wheel sharply I pulled the emergency brake and the car began to slide around the turn. Glancing in the rearview mirror I noticed the kids all grabbing onto each other except for Scootaloo who had her hooves up and was laughing like a madmare. Turning the wheel again I released the emergency brake and stopped the car.

“So, was that fun?” I asked as I turned around. The three were still clutching each other while Scootaloo shouted for me to do it again. Turning around I began driving again and looked for the turn off to the farm. Finally I found it and turned up the snow covered lane towards the bright red barn. Slowing to a stop I shut off the car and climbed out. Looking around I saw nothing but charred trees and exhausted members of the Apple family. Shutting the car door the kids slowly got out and followed me up to the house where I noticed two large holes in the roof. As I looked at the holes I heard hoofsteps behind me and I turned to see Mac slowly walking up to us.

“One of the pilots misjudged his aim and dropped two drums through the roof.”

“How much is all this going to cost?” I asked as I looked back at the orchard.

“The insurance company is only willing to pay for the house. The trees, that’s our problem.”

“And the cost for that?”

“At least a quarter million.” He said with his ears going back a bit. Reaching into my pocket I grabbed my checkbook and the pen that was inside it. Unscrewing the cap from the pen I began writing.

“Mac, I have a lot more pull in Canterlot than most like.” I said as I ripped the check out and gave it to him. “This is a check for two hundred fifty thousand bits. I want you to get this place fixed up. If you need more just let me know. Lord knows we’ve got more than enough money in Canterlot to support the war and fix this place up.” He looked up at me and I noticed he had tears at the corners of his eyes.

“Thank you. I’ll pay you back.”

“No, no. This isn’t a loan. This is a gift.”

“We can’t just take your money and not pay it back.” He replied as he went to give the check back to me.

“First, it’s not my money. It’s the princesses’. Second, as your superior I order you to take the check.” I told him as I pushed his hoof away. He reluctantly took it and stuffed the check into the inside pocket of his leather coat. We all turned around and I looked out over the orchard. “So how far did it burn?”

“All the way to the west pond.”

“The west pond?!” Applebloom asked in a panicked voice.

“Eeyup.”

“Did you check on the clubhouse?!”

“Eeyup. It’s alright. Fire never touched it.” Mac told her and I noticed she visibly calmed down. We all stood looking over the orchard for a bit but the calm was broken by a grumbling noise. Looking down at my stomach I sighed and looked over at the kids.

“You guys eat breakfast yet?”

~~~~~
08:30 Hours
February 7, 1987
1237 N. Main St.
Ponyville
~~~~~

Everyone dug into their pancakes as we all sat around the TV and watched the cartoons intently.

“So, he’s the bad guy?” I asked as a black stallion ran across the screen.

“Yeah.” Lancaster replied as we continued to watch the cartoon.

“And he’s stealing the Sun Stone so he can try and take over the world?”

“Yeah.”

“And the Doctor is trying to stop him because it would change the course of history?”

“Yeah.” They all four replied in unison. We all continued to watch animated Doctor Whooves and I found myself more confused and interested as it continued. When the show ended I looked down at the kids who all seemed to understand what had happened.

“I didn’t understand any of that.” I told them as I got up to take my plate to the sink. Walking into the kitchen I set my plate in the sink and went back upstairs where Thunderstreak was still lying in bed. Climbing into bed next to her I pulled the blanket up to my chin and went back to sleep.

~~~~~
17:00 Hours
February 7, 1987
1237 N. Main St.
Ponyville
~~~~~

“Well dad, that’s the risk you take when you release a mongoose into the apartment. Now look, I’ve got a guest over and we’re about to sit down for dinner. Just promise me you won’t try to kill it.” I told dad as I turned to look at everyone gathered around the table.

“Why?”

“Need I remind you of the outhouse episode? Now I’ve got to go.” Hanging up the phone I grabbed plates off the counter and set them in front of everyone at the table. Setting my plate at the head of the table I sat down and Stauffenberg looked around at everyone at the table. “Is there a problem colonel?”

“No. Just thinking about my own family.”

“I understand. I have many family members back on earth. But, we must all make the best of it.”

“Indeed.”

We all began to slowly eat and chat as everyone got to know Stauffenberg.

“So Claus, where are you from?” Thunderstreak asked as he used his fork to cut a slice in his steak.

“Berlin but originally from Albstadt.” He replied before eating the piece of steak he’d cut off. He chewed for a few moments before swallowing and he gave a small smile. “This is very good. Where did you get this?”

“Special store in town that caters to creatures like griffins here that eat meat.” I told him before taking a bite of my salad.

“And you do not eat meat?”

“I’ve been a vegetarian since tenth grade.”

“Well for a man who doesn’t eat meat I must say that you can certainly cook it.” He replied before taking another bite of his steak. We all ate in silence but soon I noticed Scootaloo had set her fork down and was looking at Stauffenberg. ‘Please don’t ask about his hand.’ I mentally begged but to no avail.

“Where’s your other hand?” She asked as he was halfway through lifting another piece of steak to his mouth. He smiled and gently set his fork down.

“You’re a very inquisitive filly aren’t you? If you must know, I lost it in North Africa to a British fighter plane.”

“Ok.” She said and she finished up the rest of her meal. After about a half hour everyone was finished eating and the kids had all gone out to do something around town. The three of us left in the house all went into the living room and sat down.

~~~~~
Meanwhile on the Streets of Ponyville
~~~~~

“What’re we doin’ out here?” Applebloom asked as they all walked around town.

“We’re looking for somepony to sing for Fluttershy and Big Mac’s wedding.” Scootaloo said as they continued to trot towards the dance hall down the street. “And I know a few ponies who may just be up to it.” She told them as they stopped in front of the dance hall and a couple marines and their dates looked at the kids with interest and confusion on why kids would be out after dark. “Here they are guys!” Scootaloo announced as she pointed to a poster on the dance hall. “The Swing Sisters. In route to-“

“Haywia” Applebloom interrupted.

“I'm fine thanks. How’re you?” Scootaloo asked with a grin at her friend’s butchering of Haywaii. Applebloom swatted her hoof away and they all made their way into the crowded hall. “Can you guys see anything?” Scootaloo asked as she jumped up and down trying to see over the sea of marines and pilots.

“Not yet.” The other three replied in unison. Just as they were about to give up Lancaster called out for the others. They hurried over to him and he pointed to a hallway over in the corner of the dance hall. They trotted down the hallway and stopped when they saw a door at the end with a gold star on it. Lancaster walked up to it and slowly opened the door. Sticking his head inside he saw three mares sitting at their vanities. As he watched them one of them noticed him in their mirror and turned around to face him.

“Hey, sweetie. What’re you doing here?” Jazzy asked as she smiled at Lancaster. Scat and Ragtime turned to look and smiled at the young colt.

“We’re here to talk to you about something.” He replied as he pushed the door open more to reveal the three fillies behind him. They all filed into the dressing room and shut the door behind them. “How long are you going to be in town?”

“We leave the eleventh for the Crystal Empire.” Ragtime replied.

“Perfect.” Scootaloo said as she stepped forward. “Would you be able to play at a wedding on the tenth?”

~~~~~
20:00 Hours
February 7, 1987
Ponyville Aerodrome
~~~~~

I looked over at Thunderstreak who had fallen asleep in a chair in the corner of my office. Looking back down at the paperwork in front of me I sighed and removed my reading glasses. Setting the glasses on my desk I pinched the bridge of my nose before looking over at the clock on the wall.

“It’s only eight?” I asked as I looked at the papers on my desk. “This is gonna take me all night.” As I gave another frustrated sigh there was a knock on my door and I looked up to see Sabre standing in the doorway. I waved him in and he sat down at the chair across from me.

“So,” He began as he sat down with a small groan “what’s new?”

“Not much. Just one of those ‘same shit, different toilet’ type deals. I’ve got a shit ton of paperwork for new aircraft types that need approval, requests for new planes from a number of fighter and bomber groups, and then there’s the requests for leave from a couple of generals I sent to the Crystal Empire.”

“Generals have to ask for leave?”

“They do if I send their asses to the Crystal Empire. I’m their superior and what I say goes. If I say ‘jump’ they better damn well ask ‘how high?’. But anyways, how’s that movie of yours coming along?”

“It’s starting to come together. The dance instructor is a real hardass on us. Although I think he’s going a little easier on Brush Stroke. Though, to be fair, she does have experience as a dancer.” He said as he set his black fedora on the desk.

“So what kind of movie is it?”

“Musical comedy. I had to do four different shots today just for one scene. One scene! And I was soaking wet the whole time. Then they’ve got me swinging and singing on a lamppost; and they keep bitching about my makeup because it’s going to be in color and it’s driving me nuts. If the next movie I do is like this then I’m done.” He told me as he propped his back hooves up on the desk and turned on the Zenith style radio with his magic. As the music replaced the silence in the room I put on my glasses and went back to the paperwork in front of me. Signing off on several designs I set them aside and looked at the next one in the large stack. As I looked over the design for a new heavy bomber I noticed something in the list of bombs it would be able to carry. Picking up a red phone I was connected directly to the war department.

“Equestrian War Department, Sergeant Major Spearhead speaking.”

“Can you connect me to Princess Luna’s line please?”

“And may I ask who this is?”

“Commanding General Jones.”

“Right away sir.” He replied and a few moments later there was a small click as Luna picked up the phone.

“Good evening James. How may I help you tonight?”

“Well I was signing off on some of these designs you sent to my office and I noticed this new super heavy bomber has nuclear weapons in its list of bomb loads. I thought I told you to cancel Operation Manehattan?” I ask her as I removed my glasses again.

“You did but I overrode your request. This is all in the name of peace.”

“You’re creating the possibility of a nuclear conflict further down the line. If you open relations with my home country they’re not going to be happy about you having atomic weapons. Those of us involved in the project could possibly even be tried for treason for giving away nuclear secrets. Between you and me I don’t feel like being on the wrong end of a firing squad.” I told her as I turned in my chair to face the window of my office.

“I can understand that James but you must see things from my point of view. I kept this project going to ensure that war is avoided in the future. If the world knows we possess this type of weaponry then countries may be more hesitant to start a conflict with Equestria or our allies.”

“Or they develop their own and we start a new cold war. I survived one close call in my lifetime and I know of a second one after this war. I’m not ready to go through a third. Besides, even if I did approve of Equestria having atomic weaponry, I would most certainly know not to use it.”

“James, I understand your view as your friend but as a princess I must order the program’s continuation. I’m sorry. But the Manehattan Project will-“ Luna’s voice was cut off as the line went dead and I set the phone down. Picking up the black phone I heard the Ponyville operator on the other end.

“Connect me with Canterlot.”

“I’m sorry sir but Canterlot is experiencing some bombing right now. I’m afraid it may be awhile before we’re going to be able to get communications back up.” The mare’s soft voice replied as I looked out the window towards Canterlot.

“Alright. Will you please call my office or home phone when the line is open again?”

“I will sir. You have a nice evening.”

Hanging up the phone I turned in my chair to face the door where Claus stood looking in with a piece of paper in his hand. He stepped into the office and his boot nails seemed to echo off the walls as they clicked on the wooden floor. He stopped in front of my desk and held the message out for me. Taking the paper from him I put on my reading glasses and looked over the message.

“Sabre, get your mother home and get everyone out of town.” I said as I removed my glasses with a shaking hand.

“Why? What’s wrong?” He asked as he removed his hooves from the desk and leaned forward.

“Just do it.” I told him as I stood up and grabbed my greatcoat off the coatrack. Slipping on my coat I walked past Claus and he turned to follow me out. As we walked down the hallway towards the outside I began talking to Claus. “How many tanks are we looking at as of now?”

“As of five minutes ago we’re looking at fifteen panzer divisions.”

“Fifteen?!” I asked as I turned to look at him.

“I’m afraid so sir.” He replied. Turning around I continued down the hallway and out into the cold February night.

“Any news on how many more we may be looking at?”

“No general but reports also put another twelve divisions making landfall in the Crystal Empire.”

“Jesus. Claus, I want you to radio headquarters in Canterlot. Get every Equestrian Armor general there that you can.” I ordered as I walked towards my personal C-45. Climbing in I made my way up into the cockpit and strapped into the pilot’s seat. Starting the engines I taxied out to the runway and got airborne as quickly as I could. As I climbed out of Ponyville I heard small click and a moment later a voice came through my headset.

“Ponyville Tower to Air Force Two; do you read?”

“This is Air Force Two. I read you loud and clear Ponyville.”

“General, new radio message in from the coast. We’re now looking at nineteen panzer divisions. This is a full blown invasion.”

“Alright. As of now I’m issuing the order to maintain radio silence unless on a secured line and have all available aircraft on high alert and ready to fight at a moment’s notice.”

“Yes sir. Ponyville Tower, over and out.”

I resumed looking out the windows at all the darkened towns and roads below me. Up ahead I could see the city of Canterlot burning in the distance.

~~~~~
22:45 Hours
War Room, Canterlot
February 7, 1987
~~~~~

A large map of Equestria spread across the wall was the center of everyone’s attention as a pony with a large wooden pole moved a red magnet over a small coastal town on the right side of the map.

“Nineteen. Nineteen panzer divisions and we didn't catch it until all but four had made landfall.” I mumbled to myself as I looked at the map with Princess Luna. “Do we have any idea how they got that many tanks here?”

“We believe a mixture of landing craft and Me-321 gliders.” She replied as we continued to watch the map. As we stood I heard the large wooden doors to the war room open and two men in their fifties or sixties walked in. They approached us and I noticed one was a four star and the other was a five star general. They both gave a salute to Princess Luna and she smiled at their presence. “James, don’t believe you've formally met our newest general officers. I’d like you to meet Field Marshall Erwin Rommel and General George Patton.”

Author's Note:

Not as long as some of my more recent chapters but I wanted to introduce the new humans before I go on vacation. I hope you enjoyed this chapter and I hope you all have a nice holiday season.