• Published 14th Aug 2013
  • 12,594 Views, 60 Comments

The Genial Carnival Cat - HeartTortoisePigeonDog



A Carnival has come to Ponyville, deep in the Everfree Forest. Not all is as it seems. Beware the Gential Misathrope!

  • ...
3
 60
 12,594

Carnival Cat (Part 1)

Big MacIntosh noticed Applebloom's favorite doll, a small kitten plushie, thrown in a corner on the stairs just as he was preparing for bed. This is odd, he thought. Applebloom never went to sleep without her kitten; and certainly never left him alone around the house. As a caring and responsible older brother he should be the one to bring her kitten to her.

"Applebloom musta dropped Freckles. I'm going to Fluttershy's," he said to Applejack as he passed her at the bottom of the stairs, with a glint in his eyes.

"Alright." Applejack smiled. Her gaze followed Big Mac as he stepped out the front door and into the dark world outside.

The door clicked shut. A dull thud immediately followed. He hesitated. Hearing no call for help, and assured Applejack was unharmed, he trotted off, kitten plush in his mouth as though his own cub, a smile painted on his face, evidently amused at the picture he created of Applejack tripping on the stairs.

The atmosphere was cool with the air of Autumn. A gentle, chill breeze tickled the leaves of the trees. Small, dark shadows wafted like phantoms, slowly dancing under the veiled moon. The clouds threw the earth into even deeper darkness, but they were merely thin. They were growing thicker. Some spots were particularly swollen. Everything looked gray and faintly glowing. Dark shapes transformed themselves again and again, like great living masses of dough. The light from lamps and houses colored the night all the more beautifully, giving color to the colorless.

A breeze sent a shiver down his spine, like an electric shock.

The top of Fluttershy's cottage came up as a dark mass at the edge of the path. Coming nearer, it grew in color and beauty, everything around it in varying shades of yellows, blues, and violets; a warm hill in a valley of cold waves.

He knocked once with no answer. He knocked again and again, slowly, until Fluttershy opened the door, shaking slightly.

"Oh," Fluttershy whimpered, "it's you. I thought it was some kind of monster... Um."

He smiled and proffered the doll.

"Oh!" Surprised, Fluttershy took the doll and flushed slightly. "What's this for?" she asked sheepishly.

"It's Applebloom's."

Fluttershy made a half-step back, embarrassed. She evidently had thought the doll was for her.

Big Mac gave her a look which seemed to say "How are Applebloom and her friends? Not too much trouble, I hope?"

"Um..." Fluttershy held the doll in her arms as though it were one of her own little animals, or a foal. "They're always little angels. They're upstairs, sleeping. They've been very quiet." Her voice trailed off as she flew upstairs leaving Big Mac wondering why she had flown off, looking in through the open door. He let himself in and followed Fluttershy.

"Girls?" She opened their room door. Light from the hall lit up a bed free of three little fillies. "They're gone!" She gasped. "Oh no!" She flew in and tore off the covers from the bed. She frantically peeked under the bed, threw open the closet doors, and overturned chests and dressers. It was hopeless: they were gone. "Not again," she sighed, panic washing over her face. She flew past Big Mac who stood watching from the door-way, dropping Freckles before him. She burst into room after room calling out to them, worry penetrating her tone deeper and deeper with each silent, hopeless return.

Big Mac followed her outside. He set the doll on the kitchen table still not entirely clean from flower and still wet pizza sauce.

"Girls? Girls? Girls? Girls?!" Fluttershy called out unusually loud for her usual quiet voice, searching everything from the chicken coop to the rabbit holes. She rose high up in the sky and called out as loud as she could: "Girls!"

The trees chuckled in return. The sun finally gave up its last rays over the whelming clouds, plunging everything into complete darkness. The clouds and thin fog swallowed up even the hope of an echo. Her voice failed. They were gone.

Returning to the ground, head low, she turned to Big Mac for support. His usual strong face had become overcome with a shadow. His littlest sister: lost? His face didn't betray it as clearly as Fluttershy's, but his heart raced, pumping thick fear into his veins. He worried what could have happened to them.

"Um..." Big Mac gulped. His eyes darted left and right, anywhere but Fluttershy's pleading gaze.

"Big MacIntosh... where... where do you think they could've gone?"

"Um... " His mouth was dry. He walked past her without answering, in part so he wouldn't have to look her in the eyes and partly to try to look for any clue as to where they could have wandered off to. He took a deep breath, and continued to take in deep droughts of the chill, moist air. He had to find Applebloom and her friends. He tried to assure himself they were fine and were merely on another one of their crusading adventures. This appeared to calm him enough to start looking around for clues.

And there they were, just under his nose: hoof-prints leading into... into...

"Um... Fluttershy. They went in there." He pointed out into the Everfree Forest.

Fluttershy took a deep breath. Once again they've run off into there.

No problem. No more worrying. We'll go in, find them, and return home. There is nothing to worry about. I'm sure they are completely fine, she told herself, gathering her courage. And with the blind bravado of a mothering defending her children, she started on ahead with a bugle like call to Big Mac: "Let's go, Big Mac!"

This was just what Big Mac had been worrying about. He might have been a strong stallion, a hardy stallion, a stallion who'd stand up for his family, a powerful defender, a solid rock of support... but he was anything but brave. He was a coward and he knew it. That's why he couldn't look Fluttershy in the eyes. It would have been clear as crystal to her that he was desperately hiding himself shaking in his horse-shoes.

He followed her without a word. His mouth wouldn't open. His legs felt like led.

Fluttershy touched down just on the edge of the forest. The hoof prints were faint, but still there. Big Mac joined her, struggling to look normal. She smiled at him.

"Thank you for helping me," she said with a strange confidence. "Oh!" She brushed past him and flew off back to her cottage.

"Where are you going?" he burst out.

"A lamp."

With her gone he couldn't stop shaking. Why did it have to be the Everfree Forest? She's been in here several times, but I hain't been in once. Not once! I don't know what's in there. What if somethin' happens? He braced himself. Fluttershy was returning with a pair of gas lamps. But I have to. For Applebloom and her friends. And for Fluttershy...

"Alright." She gave Big Mac his lamp. They were saddle-lamps. The lamp hung on a long rod over the wearer's head; it was adjustable, and the lamp could be taken down if the wearer wished to hold the lamp instead. Fluttershy already had hers on. He caught a whiff of Fluttershy's scent as she pressed close to him to put the lamp on. Her eyes glistened in the light. He found himself suddenly more nervous than scared, a feeling not much better, but preferable to the situation, he figured. He pawed at the ground when she reached below him to grab the other strap to tighten on the saddle.

"There we are!"

It only had taken a short moment for her to do the job, but for Big Mac it was an eternity of conflicting emotions and dizzying sensations. His stomach was in knots.

"Ready to go, Big... Mac?" She flushed slightly before grinning confidently.

He gulped. "Eeyup."

"Let's go!"

She lead the way, head close to the ground, watching the hoof-prints. Big Mac stuck close behind, saying they had best stay close so as not to lose one another. Fluttershy fell for it. A rush of adrenaline pulsed though him in time with every strange noise in the bushes or movement in the trees, the thought of something hidden in the bushes, crawling along the ground, poised and waiting to attack. They followed what appeared to be a path for quite some time before the hoof-prints turned sharply through a dense row of trees and bushes.

Fighting through a thick stretch of scratching bushes and caressing leaves, they found their way out and onto another path, smaller and clearly less-traveled. The hoof prints appeared to pick up speed. Fluttershy and Big Mac silently followed. Their nervousness became more and more evident. Their voices became lost somewhere in their throats, and fearing to go any further and be exposed to danger, sank into their tremulous legs. Neither had ever been this deep into the Everfree Forest. They wanted to just find the fillies and get out. But the prints ran on without hesitation. The darkness around them pressed in threateningly closer.

The forest hushed eerily silent.

They stopped dead. The sound of shrill screams weaved through the trees, twisting round their necks and chocking their hearts. Panic paled their faces. The screams slipped away, pulling at their neck hairs, before pealing again. Fluttershy and Big Mac exchanged terrified, fallen expressions. Everything became suddenly so cold and they shivered.

Big Mac twitched to start running the other way, but in company with Fluttershy, he merely froze. He looked at her out of the coner of his eye, without moving his head aimed straight ahead down the path. She was shaking.

Fluttershy took a few determined steps forward. Small at first, and soon bolder.

Big Mac knew what she was thinking, and he was thinking just the same. No matter their own fear, they had to find Big Mac's sister and her friends. It wasn't a matter of staying strong or brave for one another, it was a matter of doing what had to be done. They each told themselves this in their own way so simply and plainly, it didn't give them the courage to continue, but the feeling of something that must happen and which they could not avoid doing. Far from courage, the thought filled them with only protecting the ones they loved, despite fear.

Like strong, caring parents, they pushed forward through the troubles together. The wind howled in the trees. The branches above closed all around them as bars of a prison interlacing like fingers. Clouds rolled and twisted in the sea of deep indigo above their heads like monsters. Soon there was no moon-light left. Only their lamps lit the way, swaying and casting long, dark shadows. The darkness only seemed to devour their light.

They both gasped when they quite literally ran into an iron-bar gate. It looked old. Very old. Dilapidated. The bars were falling apart, rusty and cracked; the marble archway grown gray and oozing green moss. Where the bars attached to the marble pillars were stained long streaks the color of dried blood. The entrance was rusted permanently ajar. Bold words which once had curved over the the entrance had fallen away, leaving too much to the imagination:

C_R__VA_ __ __TS

"Crv... Cravats?"

Big Mac graced her a questioning glance.

"They are a kind of tie. Popular at one point in Equestria's history, it was tied in a knot similar to a... a noose..." She chocked as though an actual noose tightened round her neck.

They stood silent a few moments. A dark fog like blacked smoke rolled in around them.

Big MacIntosh was the first to break their stillness with a silent motion of his head; and he stepped under the threshold of the arch. Before squeezing though the gates he turned back to Flutteshy.

"Don't be so frightened," she reassured, clearly trying to hide a slight shaking. And yet, this kindness in spite of danger warmed Big Mac's heart. He took a breath and sucked in his gut. He pushed through. The gate moaned. The rust chipped off and stuck to his sweaty coat.

What am I worried about, really? he thought to himself. We might be just making the forest out to be more frightening than it really is. Zecora lives here; the zap-apples came from here. Sure there are some scary things, but not all of it is so. Yes, he gazed at Fluttershy, who glowed under her lamp-light, this will all be over soon... He assured and comforted himself.

The gates slammed shut and a wall of black cut him off from Fluttershy. She screamed out just before the darkness shut her out completely. Her voice cut off as cleanly as though she had really been suddenly dropped, hung by one of those cravats she had spoken of.

Big Mac panicked, and rushed against the wall. He found himself running the other way. Had he really started running away? Was he such a coward? He turned back to it and made a mad dash for it. Again he found himself turned completely about. He put one hoof to it. It fell into a void. The same hoof came jutting straight back out at him! He whimpered. A chill bead of sweat ran down his neck and past his breast.

"Don't be so frightened, my little pony," a soft, feminine voice cooed. "There's nothing to fear," she added in her virulently sweet tones.

Big Mac's heart leaped. The voice had sounded like Fluttershy's.

An ink-black form played in the shadows. It appeared the very black of the inner mouth of a deep and dark tunnel. As the figure came into the light it appeared more to melt out of the shadows than simply step in to the light. A head floated into view first.The bust of a very beautiful mare. Clear, effulgent eyes like deep pools irresistibly tugged at his heart and drew him closer. She held herself up very proper and proud, with a kind of easy grace. As she glided towards him, his body moved forward without his volition, closer to her. Her clear, pearly teeth glistened in his lamp-light. Tossing back her silvery mane, she slid up to him like a cat rubbing up against a broad tree.

The sudden appearance of such a beautiful mare froze Big Mac to the spot. He pulled himself tighter together, appearing as small as possible as though he were trying to hide behind a lamp-post. His fear only seemed to arouse something within the accosting stranger.

There was something more alluring in her little figure, like a foal. She gazed up into his eyes.

Tilting her head coquettishly: "Are you lost, young stallion?" She smiled with her eyes. A tinge of red was perceivable under her golden-yellow coat. Stepping back almost timidly, ears fallen against her head, she added, "If you are, you are welcome to come stay with me until light. The Forest can be quite confusing to navigate at night. Please," she divined some hesitation in his manner, "I won't take 'no' for an answer. You must come with me; I can't in good conscious leave you here alone and lost, my love."

Big Mac's heart was pounding. Not from fear, nor even from nerves—both he had expected—but from excitement.

She wrapped a hoof round his neck. Big Mac swollowed the extra moisture filling up his mouth. She held herself just so close enough to his body without actually touching, still he felt her radiating warmth.

"Come with me, I insist."

She pulled him in suddenly and pressed her body against his. Big Mac sweated profusely. She was so close and warm, and so... soft. His eyes darted from tracing the curves of her body, to guiltily shooting back to look in her eyes, to jutting forward nervously looking at nothing in particular. Her cutie mark was a Ferris Wheel. He noticed his trembling shook her as well.

She giggled and elicited something like a purr when she said, "My name is Catherine. And no need to worry... I'm not going to eat you or anything."

Big Mac smiled weakly.

"Big MacIntosh," he managed, his voice tremulous and faltering in an unusually higher pitch.

"Big Mac, hmm?" She closed her eyes and a titillating shiver ran down her spine. "I like your name."

He flushed a deeper shade of red. He felt cold; it only made her feel all the warmer and inviting.

Big Mac started at the force with which Catherine pulled him forward. She guided him along, still cleaving close to him.

"So water ya doin' way out this deep in the Everfree, Sweetie? Lookin' fer somethin'?" She had detected his accent when he told her his name and teasingly, if not somewhat superciliously, tried copying it.

He craned his neck as though stretching.

"My baby sister and her friends."

Catherine cut him off rather too excitedly. "Oh, what a fine and brave older brother! You know, I think I espied your sister and her friends earlier."

Big Mac jumped out of her grasp. Her hoof fell limply.

"You have?" he ejaculated. "Really? You have! Where?" His heart raced. With hope in view, he felt ready to run into hell and back to find his little sister.

He had already forgotten about Fluttershy.

Catherine swayed. "A red-maned one, a lavender-and-pink-maned, and a magenta-maned—fillies?"

"Yes!" he cheered.

She brought her hoof to her breast. "So high?" she sung.

"Eeyup!" he cried.

"OH!" she moaned.

She swooned back, her eyes a-flutter, egging him on with a wave of her rear. "They came by my amusement park not but a half-an-hour ago." She turned her tail to him and gave his nose a small tickle. "I'd rather think they are still playing." Her voice was pleasantly raspy.

"Playin'? In an amusement park in the middle of the Everfree Forest? But they have to come home now." Big Mac protested like he was a young colt again, pouting and stomping emphatically with one of his mighty, stallion hooves.

Catherine continued to walk him by the unfurled sway of her tail, toward the entrance of her park.

You're mine!

She brushed her tail sensually up his neck, across his lips. Big Mac raised his nose and leaned with longing so far forward he nearly lost his balance.

"We can play too!" she squealed excitedly and bounced in a remarkable transformation of character. "There are all sorts of rides at my amusement park! Did I mention that I'm the designer as well as the owner, too?" She turned toward Big Mac, hopping backwards as he still followed her glowing countenance, all smiles, not by any amount of dim-wittedness, but for the simple suddenness of her appearance and how welcome her inviting and radiant, and very kind presence was to him in such a place as this. It all made him want smile, relax, and forget about his troubles.

For the first time since wandering into the Forest with Fluttershy to find his little sister and her friends, Big Mac was beginning to feel happy and hopeful; and that this single mare could make him feel so, and not cripple him nervous like being with Fluttershy could, was something he wholly admired and could not get enough of; how it was that he did not feel that way with this mare was still yet a mystery to him, but it only made her all the more curious and interesting.

She babbled gleefully on, tilting her head this way and that.

"I originally founded the park as a haven for lost foals who didn't listen to their parents and wandered into the Forest after dark—letting them live their dreams until morning when it was light enough to guide them back home. That was quite some time ago. Then a fire broke out in the Forest and burned most of my Park down. Since then, so many long years, never mind how long precisely, I've been restoring it. And, by what an act of providence, I finished repairs this very day and I should have my very first visitors tonight. I could not have planned better! Don't worry, I personally spent all day testing every ride and attraction for safety and maintenance. All runs smoothly! All is ready for tomorrow's GRAND OPENING!" She sung and pulled aside a curtain of black foliage.

"Behold!" She exclaimed with ostentatious gestures. "Behold the Carnival of Cats! Paradise of the Everfree! The Shining Light in the Dark! The Glee of Somber Faces! Haven of the Lost! The One True! The Only! A Warm Hearth and Warm Food and Refreshing Drinks, and even Warmer and More Refreshing Hospitality—Legendary Friendliness, honey." She winked and nudged his side.

When had they gone up an incline? Sweeping out below him was a marvelous city of lights and movements! The shadows stole away from the small valley in which the park made home. The blaze of fog only reflected the light and made the scene all the brighter. He couldn't see the far end of the valley, but the obscuring fog suggested vastness and depth in the park a clear night could never. Mesmerized, he turned excitedly to Catherine.

Catherine chuckled. "Race ya!" And she bolted down the hill.

Big Mac chased after her. It was thrilling. The wind blew through his mane. The moisture in the air pregnant with the scents of the forest. The wet dirt licked at his hoofs. A smile plastered on his face. A very animal passion filled his heart. His goal was in sight—though something about it was becoming fuzzy... Yes: to save his sister and her friends... Right?

"C'mon, Big Colt! You almost got me!" Catherine teased, easing up her gallop. She leaped between two thick and tall trunks. Big Mac somewhat squeezed through them.

The tall entrance to the park was wide open. The many colorful, round light bulbs shone dazzling. The first time he had been to an amusement park in so many years—he grinned from ear to ear!

Catherine pounced ahead, and stalked over between the wide open gate. She raised herself as though lifted by the strings of some sultry puppeteer. "Let's wander now inside, my sweet!"

He trotted to her side. They crossed the threshold. Big Mac did not notice the gate close behind them with the faint sounds of cluck, cluck, bwak, cluck, hiss.

"Mane Street." Big Mac read aloud the gilded letters embedded in the pavement at his hooves.

Just past the title were a set of rail-lines. A red trolley, probably just big enough to fit twenty ponies comfortably, with twisting golden railings and black cushions with white blazes, pulled up before them. It stopped and a pony inside pulled at a string, causing a bell outside to ring.

"All aboard who's comin' aboard!" The pony called out in a low bass. He stuck out his head from the front cabin, a gray face with a well-groomed burnt sienna brown mane and whiskers. He submissively tipped his hat when he saw Catherine, and gave her a look that seemed to silently repeat, with more respect, what his former statement had said aloud.

Catherine smiled at the trolley-pony before motioning to Big Mac that they should step aboard.

Big Mac returned her smile and helped her up before joining her inside and sitting beside her. The cushions were soft, yet firm: a sign of newness. He could smell the freshly lacquered dark-wood at his hooves and the paint on the ceiling and walls. It was an open trolley, with only a chain that attached to a small latch for the entrance door. No glass windows: completely open air. The seating ran parallel to the length of the car. Catherine pointed things of interest out to Big Mac as the trolley tugged along a little faster than trotting speed.

"And this is Mane Street: the opening street into My Amusement Park. There are shops all along with small apartments above them for foals to sleep and stay; maps found there, a small museum, just past, and many concession-stands with all sorts of treats to nibble on!" Catherine scooted closer. "There is even a fancy high-class 5-star restaurant at the end of this line; the trolley only runs to the central-hub and back." Her advances were lost in Big Mac who was taking in the buildings they passed.

The style of Mane Street was very faux New Old-Canterlot style, with brick walls, limestone accents, cobbled streets, and marbled shop floors below crystal chandelier lights. Inside the polished lighted shops, he saw ponies shuffling back and forth, arranging merchandise and setting up decor, clearly making last-minute preparations for tomorrow's grand-opening.

The ride didn't seem to last very long, but it was longer than it felt. Before he knew it, Big Mac was stepping off, still gaping at the scenery, tail intertwined with Catherine's. Catherine turned to the trolley-pony with a knowing look, and he rung his little bell and was off again.

"He's practicing for tomorrow," Catherine explained to him in answer to a question he had not asked.

They had got off just after the central-hub of the park which was marked by a rather modest sized bronze statue of Catherine with a warm smile on her face surrounded by scared little fillies, lit from below. Around which were small corners of flowering grasses. Antique-looking lamps lined the circumference of the of and lit up the round central-hub in a dreamy glow.

They had got off at the restaurant Catherine had spoke of: a grand and ornate building of the finest style of high-society Canterlot, mimicking the look of the Princesses's Castle, twelve stories high. The fog rolling by the windows of its brilliantly lit interior gave it all the more a special shine.

"Shall we dine now?" Catherine asked shyly, already tugging Big Mac up the polished stone steps. "Or are you too eager to wait?"

Big Mac did not say a word. He gazed up at the imposing structure, allowing its soigne architecture to awe him. His eyes fell onto Catherine herself. His heart skipped a beat.

"Well?" she purred.

"Eeyup," he nickered and turned his head to the statue, entirely engrossed. He tugged at her, and she submitted with a soft giggle.

"Excited, aincha?"

He turned back to her and nodded rapidly.

"Never been to an amusement park like this, I gather?"

He shook his head just as rapidly.

"Well then, we can have diner later, hun. Let's walk around, hmm?" Catherine smiled and held Big Mac's tail a little firmer. "But wait." She reached under him and unbuckled his lamp. Big Mac was bright red when she took the whole lamp off and set it aside. She winked and blew out the fire.

Catherine guided him away and down a wide street.

"Come with me, and I'll take you into a land of enchantment."

They walked closer to one another; Big Mac nearly leaned against her several times.

The cobbled street quickly yielded to a dirt path, and with it foliage sprung up around them. The foliage grew thicker and darker the further they walked.

Catherine pulled him in suddenly. They stopped. They were just far enough away for the light of the central-hub to disappear behind them and yet not quite close enough for the light of their destination to reach them. It was a brief moment of darkness.

Big Mac felt a soft pressure and warmth against him. A moist warmth passed over his lips, and a soft breath entered his mouth. Almost. He leaned forward, eyes closed, and it was gone.

Hoof steps sounded ahead. Catherine appeared silhouetted down the path.

"This way!" she beckoned. "Come this way. We are nearly there!" And she bounded around the corner.

Had she tried to... no. No. Certainly not. He shook his head as though he could shake the thought from his head if he just shook hard enough. He was mistaken. Nopony has ever done that to him before. He felt hot, and he was sweating.

The corner turned on to a large plaza overlooked by a large pointed-top building. Many lines of festive orange and violet Nightmare Night lights, the only source of light for the plaza, strung from the top of the of the building streamed down over the plaza giving the impression of a large circus tent. Black cypresses, pulled over and twisted together at the top into an arch, severed as the entrance into the tent.

Catherine tapped one of the poles the lights were strung to. The strand shook pleasantly. She gallivanted from one pole to the next, hitting each in turn. The whole tent of lights convulsed and waved like the surface of a troubled sea.

"Don't just stand there, cutie. Come on inside my tent of play," Catherine cooed. She slipped behind a table-clothed table and rummaged around back there. The table was too small to hide her tail wagging excitedly. She jumped out, stared at Big Mac with a look of shock on her face, before turning away bashfully, face fully flushed, and murmured, "Ahh... H-how un-feline of me... I-I am sorry you had to-had to see that... How embarrassing."

Big Mac found her being embarrassed very alluring. But he could find nothing more to do than to stupidly stand in place, and stare at her smiling like a love-struck fool. When Catherine glanced up at this imposing stallion, who looked for all of Equestria like a foal pining for his mother, she couldn't help but giggle to herself which had an immediate effect on Big Mac, who turned a bright shade of red.

The music started.

Big Mac's heart fell; Catherine's rose. Their hearts beat faster. Big Mac sweat and shook; Catherine breathed and shivered.

She swayed toward him. She took his trembling hoof and placed it on her waist. He made an audible gulping sound. She attempted to take off Big Mac's yoke, but he stopped her. She gave him a sultry glare, and slipped her hooves under it and around his neck. He started, as though by a sudden and loud noise, when she did this.

"Hush now, sweet baby; it's only a dance."

She stepped, and he falteringly followed. She stepped again, and he did his best to step in time without tripping over himself. She gave silent nods of approval every time he followed her correctly, even if he stumbled slightly. Gradually, in this way, they danced, and Big Mac soon fell in swing with Catherine's steps. When he seemed comfortable with this, she became more ambitious and took more complicated steps. Big Mac would appear to have some trouble at first, but he was becoming quickly used to following this mare's movements, and would fall in time with little trouble. The more they danced, the more his nerves seemed to fall away, and the closer and more comfortable he felt with this very cute little mare. She'd smile, and he'd smile back, and it wouldn't be awkward, indeed, it was very pleasing and pleasant, and he started even chasing after that return, and would go as far as to initiate the exchange of smiles and would feel glad. He felt aware of how soft and fragile she felt, like he could break her if he was too rough. She felt very precious and delicate, and it impelled him to treat her with such care. They danced all around the plaza.

The music stopped.

They huffed, taking a few moments to catch their breath. They couldn't let go of each other. Their eyes were glued. A yearning inside them dragged them forward. Without words an entire exchange of feelings was taking place in their eyes and in their bodies.

Catherine blinked. Her eyes were cyan in color. Big Mac moistened his lips. He leaned slightly forward.

"Not now!" She let go, beaming, and let her grasp fall into his hoof. "Come with me, first. Follow me: there is still so much to see!"

Big Mac allowed himself to be dragged away by this joyous, precious little filly. He never felt happier. This is going to be a wonderful night!

She guided him to the opposite end of the plaza from which they had entered. Again there was a dense layer of black trees all around them. They galloped through without braking pace. They came out on an area full of carnival rides. The whole place was lit with bright, round electric bulbs. Sounds of carnival music filled the air (Big Mac could just imagine this place full of happy, laughing ponies).

While Big Mac, again taking in the new sights, gawked at the motion of a carousel, Catherine talked in whispered tones to the operator, who, eyes half closed and posture far too laid-back, was clearly testing the performance of the ride for the hundredth or so time that day. Catherine gave nothing but smiles to everything she related. When they seemed finished talking, the operator added one more thing, and a corner of Catherine's mouth pinched.

Catherine threw herself on Big Mac.

"Babe? Wanna ride the horsey?"

The operator stopped the carousel and opened the gate for them to enter. Big Mac silently obliged Catherine's capricious desire to ride the carousel, and gave no resistance when she pushed him toward the only pony mannequin on the entire carousel. The pony, indeed every animal mannequin from the rat to the eagle, were majestic, idealized manifestations of their living counterparts. The pony, a magnificent stallion, was particularly beautiful. Toned muscles shimmering; golden-red coat gleaming; dark-orange mane quaffed; brilliant eyes staring forward into infinity with magnanimous confidence.

"Mount him."

Catherine fell back onto a stationary davenport. Big Mac looked at her questioningly. She demanded his compliance with a sharp glare.

Forced to ride a pony, and a stallion at that. This was so wrong, he thought. He couldn't bring himself to do it: it felt too weird.

Catherine jumped up, forcing his head to turn away from her and turn back to the stallion.

"Ride him! I want to watch you do it!" Tilting his head back to her, gently added, "Please, darling, it would please me greatly. It's only a small request."

Feeling humiliated, he gave in. She helped him up, and then once again fell back onto the davenport. The davenport lay behind and a little to one side of the stallion Big Mac rode. Catherine motioned to the operator to start the ride. Big Mac looked back at her. She smiled a sly, crooked smile and told him to look forward the entire ride.

"Don't look back, baby. You will make me very happy if you just looked forward. Pretend you're a little colt again, and just enjoy the ride, okay."

Big Mac smiled nervously and did what he was told by the pretty filly.

The ride started round, and the motion of the animals started with it, moving up and down rhythmically. Catherine lay down in her stable davenport, and let one hoof slip below her navel.

Big Mac gazed ahead, just as was asked of him. A fiercely loyal colt. He watched the animals ahead of him move gently up and down, up and down, and let that distract him for a bit, before looked at the things he passed outside the ride. He noticed the operator... there was something odd about her. Maybe it was the lighting, or the motion of the ride being just a little to fast to make out properly, or both, but he was sure he noticed, several times, her wiping away black tar dripping from her snout.

Over the music of the carousel, he could hear faint moans behind him, but he did not dare look nor allowed himself to think about what was going on back there, so he closed his eyes and let the odd and cheery, repetitive music of the carousel carry him off into a land of enchantment. You know, he thought to himself, this isn't bad. I am happy. This Park is certainly full of wonderful things. I'm glad I met Catherine and accepted her invitation here...that's what happened, right?

The ride came to a stop. Before he could even step down off the stallion, Catherine tackled him off. She laughed a great, resonating laugh.

"Oh, Big Macintosh, that was so much fun!" She was flushed to her chest. "I love that ride, don't you?" She eagerly nuzzled him.

"Eeyup," he half laughed back.

He didn't even know why he fell into fits of loud laughter with her as they got off the ride; all he knew was that she was laughing, and it was infectious. He couldn't help laughing with her.

"Know what!" She leaped in front of him, crouched like a lioness poised to pounce. "Let's go on a slower ride!" Her mien suddenly changed from ecstatic to coquettish. "It's lovely at this time of night. It's just on the other side of the Park, however. Set aside in the Carnival section."

Big Mac gave her a questioning look.

"This? This is the fair section, not the carnival: the carnival is much more interesting."

Big Mac held his look which Catherine returned. He added an out of character wink in attempt to make his silent mark clearer. She thought a moment. Nope. Still unclear. She rapidly shook her head and smiled to mask her bemusement. Big mac just stared at her like a puppy who has just heard his master say "walk."

"Excellent," she said, patting Big Mac on the back. "Well, my fellow, clearly you are one as profound as your work. Yes!" She strut ahead. "To the Carnival portion of your tour." She beckoned him with a wave. "Come along now," she added before her words finally appeared to process and Big Mac walked behind her. Together they evaporated into a veil of purple fog.

It was strange, she thought to herself. The effect of the miasma in her little game appeared a tad too strong. His mind was foundering for it, and so was lost something in the pursuit she rather much enjoyed: the struggle. But however it played out, this new found piece she now had the long-awaited titillating pleasure to properly test was proving to be worth the sacrifice.

Author's Note:

A YEAR?! My lord...