• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 2,852 Views, 102 Comments

To be a Wonderbolt - Diablomuerte2



Rainbow Dash's dream comes true it must be great right?

  • ...
10
 102
 2,852

The Dream Come True (edited)

The Dream Come True

Rainbow Dash was an enigma to those around her, she was always efficient at her work and yet spent most of the time doing anything but. She had always been around to help others, even when she was pursuing her own dream. To those who knew her she was the very definition of loyal. Even on the worst of days, she wouldn't falter loyalty unless enchanted by some mystical chaos entity. Rainbow Dash’s dream was one that she had kept since filly-hood. She wanted to be a Wonderbolt, an elite pony in the world of flying. Her speed and technique were excellent, but her devil may care attitude was concerning to say the least. She had always felt like she belonged in the group she desired to join, and yet for the life of her she couldn't figure out why she wasn't one of them.

Time passed and yet nothing was learned. She felt like she was stuck and it was slowly driving her mad. Ponyville was a nice town and she had great friends, but that can only keep her happy for so long. She remembered the day she won the ‘Best Young Flyer’ competition. Princess Celestia, whether by slip of the tongue or by admission, had heralded Rainbow Dash as the best flier of all Equestria.

____________________________________________________________

*Flashback*

Rarity, stuck on a purple balloon, was looking out towards Celestia as she approached the group. After a bow and some words, Rarity decided to plead for Celestia to not let the competition be nulled by her reckless actions. She felt guilty about entering and even more grateful that she still had Rainbow Dash's friendship after being such an idiot to her. She spoke with words unneeded. "I am very sorry I ruined the competition Princess Celestia, Rainbow Dash is really the best flyer in all Equestria," she said those words; spoken pure and not a single word of it faked or exaggerated. With a look of seriousness and honesty, her gaze never changed.

Celestia herself then said something with a tone of softness while remaining genuine. "I know she is dear..." More was said but wasn't necessary, because in Rainbow Dash's mind, that was all she needed to hear to feel amazing. The princess of the entire nation of Equestria had just admitted that Rainbow Dash was the best flyer, bar none. Though having that said, she continued to award Rainbow Dash with the title of Best Young Flyer, which at this point wasn't really as special as being the best period.

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash broke off from her memory as she moved around on the cloud she was napping on. She wasn't able to sleep because of the thoughts jumbling in her brain. She was really about to lose her cool if the world continued to keep her down as it was already doing. Her friends have always been there for her, to console her or cheer her on when she was down, even though she kept her emotions hidden behind an armor that was damn near invincible. The only pony who could even take it off to see Rainbow Dash's true feelings was the one bright soul in the rotten lot.

Fluttershy was a soft spoken and shy individual, and yet somehow she and Rainbow Dash were able to forge a friendship that lasted through the ages. They even conveniently ended up living in Ponyville together after they decided to leave Cloudsdale. Though the circumstances around that event are unknown to anyone but Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, it is what keeps them bonded. She was the only pony who could see through the rainbow maned pegasus' defense. Fluttershy had always tried consoling Rainbow Dash in private because the prismatic maned pegasus' rep needed to be protected.

Rainbow Dash's mind slipped from Fluttershy to the current situation at hoof as she was roused from her flow of thoughts by a gray pegasus with papers in her mouth. "Dit- I mean Derpy... what do you have for me?" She asked while eyeing the wavering pegasus before her. The Dash, as she sometimes thought of herself, always had a soft spot for Derpy due to her being such a joy to others, regardless of her space cadet antics.

Derpy, on the other hoof, was smiling while her eyes were moving about, as if trying to focus on the cyan pegasus laying before her. She started to mumble as the letters fell from her mouth. "Sflum Leflters." She sounded out while the letters rained on the cyan pegasus.

Rainbow Dash smiled sadly as she knew that, while Derpy was great as a mail mare, most of the time, she had that disability that just made her more precious. Seeing someone like Derpy do her job, even with the people constantly being upset with her, made Rainbow Dash feel proud for some odd reason. "Alright, thanks for bringing them to me..." Rainbow started kindly before finishing with a slightly edged tone. "Though you could have just left them in my mailbox."

Derpy was already on her way off before she looked to Rainbow Dash and simply stated, "Muffins," and flew to her next destination. She wasn't upset, nor was she going to let anypony make her feel so. Rainbow Dash had always tried to be gentle with her, even when she messed up.

Rainbow, now looking through the mail she had received, started shuffling through them. "Bills, fan mail, death threats, cease and desist, ooh what's this?" She eyed the final envelope carefully, admiring the colors before her brain flared from excitement. "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh," she chanted while holding the letter to her chest with her hooves. She wanted to open it now, but was afraid of what the outcome would be. She wanted her friends there before she would feel safe enough to open it without the fear of collapsing in self pity and wallowing in her failures. On the other hoof, if she had gotten good news, she could brag and boast for a bit while not taking it too far.

She had 'learned' her lesson when she was 'helped' by her friends to see that her actions were not 'humble' enough for them. Though she was seething because of the thought she had in her head, she quickly allowed that moment to be blocked from her conscience to regain her sanity. Soon her moment of imminent joy or infinite sorrow would be taking place, and that is all that mattered.

She had decided she was going to get off the cloud and attack the day with gusto. She was planning on inviting her friends to some picnic in the field so she could announce something important. As usual, minor mishaps and an unrelenting Pinky Pie caused her to almost slip out the information before-hoof, but luckily for her, she was able to maintain her cool.

____________________________________________________________

The picnic was in full swing. The day was still bright, and yet it wasn't too hot to be out without sunscreen, Ponyville weather had always been pleasant when it needed to be. After all, when someone as awesome as Rainbow Dash does something right, it usually ends up with everyone pleased.

She was ready, her heart racing, her look of overwhelming confidence was suddenly slipping into panic as she slowly thought of how to approach the subject. The issue wasn't that the news would be devastating to the entire world, but to a group of close friends, either result could end up being bad. She knew that some of them would try to convince her to stay, if only because they would miss her. But at the same time, if the news was sour, she would be pampered and fussed over until she could smile.

"So, you guys are probably wondering why I organized a picnic in the park right?" She looked around as some bright faces nodded and one bored looking individual nodded as well. It wasn't exactly that Rainbow Dash news isn't exciting news, but when you wait 20 minutes into a picnic to tell people things and just stand there with the expression between panic and joy, it can kind of tire other ponies out.

Applejack grumbled slightly. "Hurry up RD. I've been waitin’ this long and want ta eat," she stated in a bemused way as hunger had set in on the group. Applejack had brought a fresh baked apple pie with some cinnamon sprinkled on it and a tiny barrel of cider for the group to enjoy. It wasn't because she was expecting anything too serious from Rainbow Dash, but on the off chance that it was bad news, Rainbow Dash would flee before they had the opportunity to dig into the feast.

Rainbow Dash showed off her letter and, with slight gasps and pained faces, she realized this was going to be harder than she imagined. "Just look, I am moments away from finding out if I will be a.... WONDERBOLT!" Her excitement overshadowed the group's. She had expected this, not because her friends were jealous, but because being a Wonderbolt meant being away often. Though Rainbow Dash and her friends had grown closer, it wasn't her fault that she had a dream career that would separate them. She had this desire to fulfill her dream since she was a filly and she was itching to see it through.

Twilight Sparkle, the princess of the group, literally, was somewhat enthusiastic about this revelation as she wanted to see her friend succeed. Though, as close as they had gotten since the whole Daring Do incident , it wasn't like she herself wouldn't see Rainbow Dash often. After all, royalty gets to enjoy the Wonderbolts show for free with a special VIP box waiting for them. Still, it would sting a bit to see her friend not be able to spend time with her, reading books or being a test subject... for science! "Way to go Rainbow Dash, but aren't you going to open it?" She looked on, wondering why Rainbow Dash hadn't already torn it to pieces and read the results.

Fluttershy was silent the entire time, her face was mixed between overwhelming joy for her friend and wanted to cheer, her heart had felt otherwise. She was conflicted; Rainbow Dash gets to live her dream, but what about me... I want to be there with her, I want to enjoy the days with my friends and with my longest and most dearest of them. Her thoughts betrayed her expression as she tried to force a smile. "Woo hoo, I knew you could do it. Please open it, I am sure it's good news." Her voice was a mix of shyness and support.

Pinkie Pie was bouncing while using her nervous voice. "Oooh, I want to know already, please open it." Her bouncing was turning frantic as she waited for Rainbow to reveal the answer to the long awaited question. Pinkie was really excited, even though she would miss her friend, she would still be able to reach her through letters or surprise visits. Right? Her mind started to turn to sad thoughts. What if she forgets me? No, she won't, because we are her friends and I want all my friends to smile.

Rarity was giggling and was unable to contain her joy. "Oh Rainbow darling, please don't keep us waiting. We know that you are going to be accepted, if not then I will... " Her face turned from a sophisticated ladylike smile to one of rage. "Rip them apart." She was being her usual dramatic self, but she meant all of it. Rainbow Dash had saved her life over and over again and a hero deserves a reward, don't they? Still, without her being there, I guess I will have to be more careful from now on.

Applejack was furious, she wasn't going to hide her emotions, doing so would be dishonest and she couldn't afford to be even the slightest bit dishonest when it came to something like this. "Ya still after that silly dream RD? Why do ya want ta be a part of them when ya are already better than them? Ya always working so hard ta impress them and they waited so long, and now when ya finally enjoying ya life as it is, they decide ta finally accept ya?" Her body was trembling with anger as she snorted out air. Her face was red with anger as tears streamed out. She wanted to run after making a fool of herself but couldn't, cyan hooves found themselves wrapped around her.

Rainbow Dash knew why Applejack would be upset, regardless of the news, it was the intention of leaving to join the Wonderbolts that was upsetting her. "I know AJ, I am going to miss you a whole lot. I understand your frustration, being tied down to the farm, but this is my dream, and you wouldn't want me to not live it, would you?" She looked into the painful expression that AJ was giving off before tightening her grip on the farmer, pulling her into a deeper embrace than she would usually allow as her coolness factor would die down if people saw her being mushy. But she pushed that thought aside for her friend. Applejack had been her rival, friend, confidante, and an all around awesome pony to hang out with. They were almost a match on the physical scale. Both strong, fast, and never giving up. It was how they 'danced' the days away.

The group looked on, stunned with the emotion that was pouring out of Applejack. Most of them knew they were close friends, but to see Applejack break down, even before knowing if Rainbow got accepted, made them all realize the same thing. If Rainbow did become a Wonderbolt, she would be gone. Even if she tried to visit as often as she could, how long in between shows would she really have. The shows themselves were tiring and, even with Rainbow's mind blowing speed and stamina while flying, it was dangerous to prolong the usage of wings in attempts to continuously fly back to Ponyville from gigs just to make visits.

Applejack let go from the hug and nuzzled Rainbow Dash lightly as a way to say 'sorry' while putting her hat closer to her muzzle to hide her face as she gathered her wits. She wasn't going to apologize for her anger as she felt justified, so if the group prodded, they wouldn't get anything from her. She just waited for what seemed like hours while Rainbow Dash grabbed the letter back in her hooves and started to tear it open.

While silently reading it, her eyes started to widen. She gasped, almost in terror, before realizing how her actions would be taken. She looked to the crowd as her eyes teared up and her mouth formed a smile. "I did it guys... I AM A WONDERBOLT!" She was so excited she flew off into the air and put on a short and albeit entertaining show. She finished with a Sonic Rainboom that felt more intense and dazzled the sky with it's prismatic brilliance.

Now she could live her dream and be excited, right? Nothing could go wrong since she had her friends at her side, and she would always be there for them. No matter what the future held, she could always count on her friends. Even if she was a Wonderbolt, she was still Rainbow Dash, and she would never forget those who helped her. She scanned the group one last time before preparing to pack. Her future seemed bright, and her dream was coming true.

Author's Note:

So this is my first chapter. As you know fame and success changes people. Time separates and strengthens the bonds of friendship and reality and fantasy never quite match up. So what happens when Rainbow Dash realizes the Wonderbolts aren't as exciting as they seem? Find out next time.