• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 2,853 Views, 102 Comments

To be a Wonderbolt - Diablomuerte2



Rainbow Dash's dream comes true it must be great right?

  • ...
10
 102
 2,853

Preparations (edited)

Preparations

Sugar Cube Corner was bustling with ponies, Pinkie Pie was almost having a nervous breakdown. "But you guys, this has to be the most funnerific party in all partydom. Rainbow Dash will be super duper happy if we can throw one wild paaaartaaay,” Pinkie cheered, her tone betraying her emotions. Part of her wished she could just injure her friend to the point she couldn't continue being a Wonderbolt, but that wouldn't make her smile, it would make Dashie sad. She resigned herself to throwing on a brave face and continue on as if nothing was going on, after all, Dashie would be ok. "So we have to spend all we can and make sure we have it just perfect. I mean, it's probably..." she started before her hair began losing it's puffiness. She wanted to be strong and to be happy. She wanted to be able to handle it. It was only two days that have passed after all. Sure Dashie hasn't visited her, and it's not like she visited the other ponies. Even though Rarity got to see her, it didn't mean that she wasn't important enough. "Going to be a while before we can party with Dashie again, right?" She tried finishing like her usual self, but no one was buying it.

Fluttershy looked at Pinkie and frowned. "Well... it's not like she is leaving forever. I mean, she will definitely come back once in awhile," she squeaked with her soft, silent voice. It wasn't the first time Dash was gone for a period of time. Rainbow once spent an entire weekend away with Applejack and Rarity and the Cutie Mark Crusaders, and that was alright. But then again, both Pinkie and Fluttershy knew it was just a weekend away, and they didn't mind it. Pinkie always enjoyed pranking with Dashie and hanging out. Fluttershy was an odd one, she enjoyed the quiet moments with Rainbow Dash. She didn't like all that moving around and exciting action, she preferred it when Dash was at her speed and taking things slow. The butterfly migration was great, even if she was pretending to be all huffy. I just hope she can come with me this year to another migration.

Applejack, on the other hoof, was visually upset and taking it harder than the others. Brave faces were meant for brave moments. This wasn't something they should all be hiding. The one week away at the Wonderbolts academy was alright to endure. After all, they did end up visiting her and being saved by her. "Ya know RD wouldn't want us ta be like this. If ya'll start cryin' like that, she ain't going ta feel good and will start feelin' guilty," she said with her accent, straining each word, trying to keep her emotions in check. She was the first one to let Rainbow know of how hard she was going to take her leaving. She didn't want to crowd Rainbow, so whenever Rainbow was about; hanging with other ponies, it wasn't a problem. They did hang out a lot and it sure as heck felt empty in the barn with no annoying prankster to teach a lesson to. "I mean we gots ta be ready, she’s comin' in a couple o' days." Her voice was relatively normal, which managed to hide her true feelings.

Twilight was wondering why in Tartarus she didn't see how this could affect the Elements of Harmony. She forgot that if they aren't in synch with each other, the jewels won't emit the energy for Twilight to use the Deus Ex Machina spell that hasn't been named. She was a princess, and her duties have been keeping her busy and her studies as well. She managed to take some time off to prepare the party with her friends. They were initially discussing what the budget was and how to use it. The argument usually started small, but it soon got bigger. Then Pinkie said her piece, and now the atmosphere is sullen.

Twilight looked over to Rarity, who had decided to stay quiet. Twilight was shocked they let her go see Rainbow Dash during the fitting for the suit. Twilight herself couldn't even gain access to the Wonderbolts secret base, and she was a princess. So why did they let her in? She didn't keep putting thought on it as they probably had a good reason. Maybe they needed her expertise on dealing with calming Dash down when trying to get her to sit still. She tried to chime in. "Hey girl's, don't be so down, remember we all are getting free VIP season passes." Those words shouldn't have left her mouth, because when they did, it was too late. The storm had happened.

"As if you need them," said a soft voice, almost unsure of itself. "Yeah, you are a princess, you get to see her more when you aren't too busy not hanging with us," spoke a broken sounding voice that belonged to a pink, usually happy, furry joy bringer. "After all ya bein' the princess and all." Came a southern accented orange pony. "Darling, those passes doesn't cover the cost of travel, and not all of us can teleport, or get free passages to far away locations." She didn't mean to jab at Twilight about her increasing number of spells and powers. Twilight's alicorn ascension made it easier for her to cast spells. Though it didn't give her infinite energy or an artillery of new spells, it did increase the efficiency of her most used spells and lower the energy needed to pull them off.

The room got quiet again until a cocky voice broke into the crowd. "Yeah, I mean it's not like Rainbow Dash is just going to drop out of the sky and visit you whiny bunch," she said with a chuckle at the end. The pony who spoke those words was wearing a Wonderbolt's outfit and was sporting the multi colored hair that made her famous and unique. "Sup guy's, why are you all down?" she asked, more in her own tone.

Everyone perked up and a pink blur tackled the costumed pegasus. "Dashie, I am SOOOO HAPPY!" She exclaimed while gripping her 'victim' like a vice and locking her hooves around the cyan pony. The rest of the group joined in, but Rainbow Dash could tell something was off with them. "Guys, you are crushing me, let go," she said a little sternly while being ever so playful since the mood in the room was full of tension and uneasiness.

They all started letting go slowly while though one lingered on, blushing when she noticed she was still leaning on the pony she missed. "I.. I am sorry I was just.." She hid behind her bangs and started pawing at the floor. Rainbow knew she was going to have to deal with her friends being all weird around her, especially since she was going to be gone for long periods of time, but this was a bit ridiculous. "Guys, it's been two days and you are already acting as if I am a distant memory or something." She was worried about her friends. They usually wouldn't make this big a fuss about Rainbow's absence. Well, everyone except Pinkie.

She remembered, when she first joined the academy, that barely a week had passed before they all surprised her with a visit. Upon returning from her first week at the academy she spoke to Fluttershy, who told her that Pinkie had waited three days in front of a mailbox just to get a letter that was never coming. Apparently Pinkie used some giant megaphone to shout at Rainbow about writing to them. Though honestly and sadly, Rainbow Dash had never heard her because she was already too far for even Pinkie to reach her. She remembered chuckling when Fluttershy told her that even the mountains shook and the sky parted at the event. Still, this is beyond any of that, is it because of my tour starting after the party? They can't be this selfish, can they? I won't let them crush my dreams because they aren't mature enough to handle me shine while they wilt... wait, what am I saying... I can't think like that, these are my friends. I love them. Even if they did make a fool of me in front of the entire town that one time... let it go Rainbow, you are starting to sound petty. They were teaching me a lesson, so why did it feel like they tried to break me?

As if on cue, Soarin and Spitfire showed up, walking into the bakery with their costumes on. "So Dash, you trying to skip out on training?" Spitfire teasingly asked, though she grew a bit worried as she looked around the bakery. The faces of the other ponies in the room were a mix of anger, sorrow, and disgust. She wasn't sure what was going on, but something heavy had happened, and it wasn't a good thing for a starting member to be hit with emotional situations. "Come on, we have to keep practicing if we want to get the moves just right." She didn't want to leave this room with the unresolved tension, but she knew the dangers of letting the mind drift during practice. It wouldn't be a good time for anyone.

Soarin was looking around the bakery, wanting some apple pie. "Hey, before we go, can I have a delicious apple pie, I am really hungry," he said, jovial as ever. He wasn't able to read emotions, because if he was, then his voice wouldn't have betrayed his common sense when he spoke about something so trivial during an emotional crisis. So the storm that had started had escalated quickly.

"Apple pie... ya want a pony feathering apple pie?" The farm pony spat out the question as if it was venom. "Ya already took my best friend, now ya want an apple pie?" Those words were said with much force. Her demeanor changed from hostile to just plain angry. With her body already displaying an attacking poise, she slammed her hoof into the ground as she snorted, her face red with anger. "I tell ya what, ya can have yer pie when I can have my friend back," she said before running off.

Rainbow rushed off to stop her but Spitfire got in the way. "Look Rainbow, I know you want to help your friend, but if we are going to perform in such a short time from now, we need to make sure we have our choreography down pact." She wasn't sure if she crossed a line, but at the same time, captain trumps rookie. Her word is law, and that is how it goes when you join the Wonderbolts. She wanted to let Rainbow be there for her friends, but she has shows to put on, and one mistake can cost way more than one troubled mind.

Rainbow, half way between anger and submission, was contemplating her next move. She could rush off and console Applejack, but will that really help her? Maybe she just needs time, and I really need to get ready for the show, it's not just my life on the line if I mess up, it's my team's. "Alright." Her voice sounded defeated, but she kept her cool. "Let's keep training, after all, we have to prepare for the greatest show in history," she said with her false bravado back in full swing. She was so emotionally wrecked that she didn't have the strength or courage to look at her friends as she walked off. Knowing full well her loyalty was being put to the test, she felt like she was failing. This wasn't how she imagined joining the Wonderbolts would be like. Still, it's her dream, and her friends aren't in any danger. She would always be there for them, but she didn't have to be there for every little minor event, right?

____________________________________________________________

When they finally got back into the secret base in Cloudsdale, Spitfire knew that Rainbow wasn't ready to practice with her emotionally distraught mind. She needed to find some way to make her relax if she was going to be able to continue training today. Time was of the essence, and she needed Rainbow ready, especially for her debut. "Newbie, go hit the hot tub for a bit, then join us in 20," she said softer than usual but still with a commanding tone.

Rainbow just snorted. "I am fine, so we can train. I won't mess up, plus I learned to block out all the shit," she said, half lying. She had to block out painful memories or feelings if she wanted to remain friends with the girls she loved. A while back, when Rainbow was getting too high and mighty for her own good, as they claimed, the 'friends' of hers decided it was time for a readjustment. Though how they went about it wasn't what good friends normally do. Instead of trying to talk it out and listen to one another, they just went behind Rainbow's back and played the cruelest of pranks. It's how I have to look at it if I don't want to really think of it by the name it should have been called. The word that rightly fit their actions was known as betrayal. Though she was long past the situation, it still felt like a bite to her hoof when she recalled the events.

Spitfire wasn't sure how to proceed until Soarin gently nudged her and whispered in her ear. "She seems like a tough girl Spits, we have nothing to worry about. Remembered the Best Young Flyers competition? From what I hear, she was a bundle of nerves, but when she really wants to get something done she can." He wasn't too sure of how the events played down, but from what he gathered at the royal wedding from Rainbow Dash while she was dancing near him, was that she was supremely nervous when Rarity was plummeting, but seeing her fall cleared her mind and gave her new focus.

Spitfire nodded slowly and decided to go with Soarin's gut, even if it usually lead to pies or other food items. "Alright then Newbie, get to the sky and start the routine," she commanded as she gradually lessened her worry, even though she still had this feeling in her gut that something might go wrong.

____________________________________________________________

Sweet Apple Acres was home to the Apple family that had started the town of Ponyville and yet were simple farmers through and through. Applejack was in her barn, sobbing, when she heard someone come in. "Who's there?" She asked while trying to put on her regular face of a hard working, strong, emotionally stable pony. The voice didn't answer and just got closer to the sound of small pitter patter feet that wasn't hard to recognize. "Fluttershy?" She asked with her accent in full force.

"Eeep" was her response. "I am sorry... I was just checking on you, I hope I didn't startle you," she said while pawing at the floor as more of the light from the outside shone into the barn. She was looking through her uncovered eye as she watched the orange pony relax. "I was just worried about you... are you okay Applejack?" She asked, trying to sound comforting, not patronizing.

Applejack looked to Fluttershy who was supposed to be even closer to Rainbow Dash than she was, and yet the timid pony seemed to be dealing with the situation better. "How can ya be that calm when Rainbow is leaving us?" She asked while looking down, not wanting to see the look Fluttershy would give with such a question asked. She wasn't upset at her, just upset with the whole situation. Applejack wasn't sure if she could keep this up. She knew that, one day, ponies would leave. After all, they all had dreams to fulfill, and she already was living hers. But did this mean that she would be left behind, and would this mean that she would no longer be anyone to Rainbow Dash. Her thoughts were cut off as the timid mare spoke.

"Well you see, I have known Rainbow for years, and she hasn't always...." She was trying to word her statement carefully, "Been around, since she is always flying off, you know..." She looked down as she continued speaking. "Then Gilda came.. and everything changed." Her voice sounding a bit angry at the thought of the friend stealing gryphon. "That mean, old, stupid, smelly gryphon. She came when me and Rainbow were really, really, really... close." She started crying, remembering the event.

____________________________________________________________

Flashback

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were enjoying the day together, it was a weekend and classes weren't on their mind. They were enjoying the view of the sun from the clouds. The day was serene and had been since they met at the 'old spot' as they called it. It was a part of Cloudsdale that usually was vacant, and that is what they enjoyed about it. No one to see them being gentle or loving with each other. Their sessions of snuggling and cuddling were un-interrupted by anyone and at any signs of noises they would always bolt off and make sure it was safe. Rainbow Dash has a reputation to maintain, and even the slightest hint of being mushy wasn't cool and would damage her rep. Fluttershy, on the other side, didn't have any reputation to maintain as she wasn't regarded much and never thought of in any high esteem by other pegasi.

She was never, never the center of attention and never wanted. The only pony who made her feel an ounce of importance was the one pony who was her friend. Though they grew really close, they weren't a couple, no matter how much Fluttershy would have enjoyed that, she knew that if she broke the one friendship she had it would crush her. She didn't dare make any moves and was just content being loved and cared for by the cyan wonder. The talk of town was always that if anyone messed with Fluttershy then her knight in shining armor would rescue her. It had started at flight camp and then, even as the two fillies enjoyed their time together, it was going to end soon.

Gilda had been unusually excited to hang out with Rainbow Dash. The filly pegasus was the only pony she cared for. The gryphon, being of a proud and majestic race, didn't have high esteem for 'inferior' species such as ponies. Gilda though, and her family by extent, did respect Rainbow Dash. After all, she was the fastest girl as Junior Speedster Flight Camp and the only one who could go hoof to claw with a gryphon in a battle. Gilda had been tracking Rainbow Dash, wanting to see her friend.

A bottle rolled down the alley near the vacant lot and Rainbow Dash, suddenly aware of another presence, stepped in front of Fluttershy to protect her. "Who's there, show yourself," she said with her gruff and yet strangely cute voice. Her cries of warning were wasted as a gryphon slowly approached. "Hey Dash bro, it's just me, chill out." The gryphon, now jealous at seeing just who was with her, wanted to attack the timid mare. "So what are you doing here with Fluttershy? You two aren't fooling around are you?" She asked while her eyes widened.

Rainbow Dash was in full rage now. "You are kidding me right? Fooling around? I don't have time for that, I have to fly and be ready for the Wonderbolts. I don't do love and I wouldn't be fooling around with Fluttershy, because I don't fool around with mares that I am not going to toss away the next day." She had no idea what she was saying at that time due to her youth, and the only knowledge of adult things came from individuals she thought were cool. Turns out they were just scummy ponies who loved to just have one night stands. But what could a young filly know about any of that. Especially one who wasn't all that knowledgeable about anything other than flying and the Wonderbolts.

Suffice to say, Gilda convinced Rainbow Dash to go flying with her to see if she had the speed the Wonderbolts needed. It was an easy thing to convince Rainbow Dash to fly, but she had to wait for her to bring that whiny, timid, clingy mare home. Gilda did not like Fluttershy, and the feeling was mutual.

____________________________________________________________

"... after that I hardly saw Rainbow.... until we decided to move to Ponyville together," she finished, her tears were spilled and Applejack had pulled her into a comforting hug with her hooves locked around her. She wasn't sure when that happened, but she knew it felt good to tell someone. The reason she wasn't too overly sad about Rainbow Dash leaving was because she would come back... but how long would she have to wait?

Author's Note:

Next up is the party scene with all the feels and gut wrenching heart breaks to go with it. Unless my chapter gets taken over by a mysterious 4th wall breaking pink demi god... nah that won't happen...