• Published 2nd Aug 2013
  • 2,853 Views, 102 Comments

To be a Wonderbolt - Diablomuerte2



Rainbow Dash's dream comes true it must be great right?

  • ...
10
 102
 2,853

Bittersweet Parting(edited)

Bittersweet Parting

Rainbow Dash was in Spitfire's office, it wasn't as intimidating to be there as before. Soarin and Misty Fly were beside Spitfire, causing Rainbow Dash to be a little more excited than when she first walked in. Spitfire pulled down her glasses and waited for the unending silence to get to the critical point where Rainbow Dash would start to get anxious. "Relax newbie, we are just getting a good look at our newest member," she said, breaking the tension and the silence as the senior Wonderbolts looked at each other conspiratorially.

Spitfire nodded to Soarin, who finally chuckled. "So Rainbow Dash, just one question," Soarin began before ominously stopping. He grinned widely as he continued. "When we have our first performance together, do you think your friend can make another delicious apple pie?" His face was blushing a bit in embarrassment, but he wanted that damn pie.

Rainbow Dash could only look up questioningly at the three Wonderbolts until Misty Fly interrupted what would have been Rainbow's confused question of "What?" with a statement that would make Rainbow jump with joy. "Because we are going to perform our first show with you in Ponyville." Rainbow's eyes lit up as she heard that she was going to be able to perform her first show with all her friends watching her and was too excited.

Spitfire quelled Rainbow's imminent burst of joy and adulation with a simple statement. "Of course we will have to practice a new routine and will be getting you suited up..." She stopped for a second to let Rainbow to get off her emotional high before continuing. "We still need to go over a few things before you can storm out and celebrate." She chuckled, putting her glasses back on and looking out into the sun from her window, wondering if Rainbow Dash knew what she was truly getting into. She has spirit, I can say that, but let's hope she has the drive after the first month.

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow's joy had faded. She was at a hospital, getting her physical done to ensure she was in tip top shape before they got her suited up. "Oh come on, I want to get my suit," she huffed and snorted as one of the Wonderbolt's personal doctors checked her over. She was being a bit overly troublesome, but she had her reasons. "You are taking forever, just sign the paper and be done with it," she snorted while he ignored her and kept doing his job.

He wasn't going to allow anyone to rush him. He had a responsibility to his job and his ethics. "Listen, you can keep whining all day and it won't help, or you can just relax and let me make sure you aren't going to be a liability. I also need to make sure your body can handle the strenuous activities and check if it's combat ready." He spoke with a calm tone of authority so he didn't further upset the cyan menace.

Rainbow Dash heard the word combat and quizzically inquired about it. "What do you mean combat ready?" She was now a bit nervous, she remembered the time the other Wonderbolts tried to fight off Spike, but was that part of the job? She wasn't informed of this when they sent her the letter of acceptance. Then again, she wasn't really tested after the whole 'breaking all the school records' fiasco. She had finished graduating the Wonderbolt's Academy just a week before she got the letter, but never had she went through any combat training. Maybe it's because they know I am so awesome and that I saved the world... with help. But still, I was awesome and badass right? Yeah, that is why they didn't train me to fight. I mean who trains Rainbow Dash to fight? No one, that is who.

The doctor finished surveying the body of someone who was well toned and hardened by whatever she had endured, but he was worried about her youth. Spitfire was a very young Wonderbolt herself, but she wasn't breaking sound barriers and causing untold damage to her body. He would die for a chance to study the effects of going through a Rainboom or creating one, how much did the body suffer to create the beauty that is the Rainboom? His thoughts left as he noticed he was staring and he blushed a bit. Luckily Rainbow Dash was off in her own world at this point. "Well, it seems that nothing is wrong so far, though I have to do something uncomfortable, and you may not like it. If you wish for a female doctor to step in, then please say so."

She mulled it over in her head, she wasn't a child, she knew exactly what he was going to check for and shrugged. "Yeah I guess, but make sure she is professional. You see, I have this effect on women," she said cheekily. She wasn't opposed to male doctors checking her lady bits if it was in a professional matter, but Dash has always felt it was more comfortable for women to be there instead, it was less awkward for her and she could flirt a bit. "So send her in, and don't worry, I'll be gentle," she said with a wink as to further indicate her joking mood, even though it was just a way to cover her anxiety, as she was suddenly feeling rather uncomfortable with the whole physical.

The doctor didn't even reply as he left and sighed. Her ego is big enough to fill an entire squad, never mind keep her from breaking. He was sure that she would make a fine Wonderbolt physically, but mentally he felt that she was too youthful and endearing. Reality hasn't set in for her in his mind, but he would be there if anything were to occur. After all, he gets paid a lot to do his job, and do it well he will.

____________________________________________________________

"So yeah, she was totally checking out my lady bits and was like, 'Oh Rainbow Dash, I want you too, so take me,' but I of course refused." Silence filled the room before Rainbow finished. "I refused because I wasn't into her, she was too desperate for me." She finished before chuckling.

The attendant who was taking Rainbow's measurements wasn't amused, she just kept indirectly contributing to the conversation with "go on," and "you don't say." She wasn't appalled by Rainbow Dash, but surely wasn't going to risk being the subject of her next fable. She finished taking the measurements while jotting them down on a piece of paper meant to fill an order. After she finished, she excused herself while the designer came in to prepare the suit with the measurements given.

Rainbow Dash frowned when she didn't see Rarity come in, as she almost wished would happen. She sort of wanted to see a familiar face after having to go through a sea of anonymous ponies. Just as she was starting to deepen her frown, a dramatic voice broke the tension. "Rainbow Dash!" The voice said and Rainbow looked up to see that, standing next to the Wonderbolt's own designer, was Rarity.

Rarity was asked by the designer to help with Rainbow Dash on account that he didn't want to deal with a fussy pegasus and needed someone to make her stay still. Rainbow Dash didn't care how or what, she just smiled and jokingly asked, "You missed me so much that you came all the way here to torture me?" She smiled softly, not wanting to hint that she had missed the drama queen. It wasn't as if she missed them that much, but Rainbow Dash had always gone to Rarity... well more like Rarity made Rainbow Dash go to her for fashion. Rainbow Dash wasn't girly, but when it came to social events like the Gala or weddings, there was only one designer that she allowed to make dresses for her.

While they silently embraced the serenity of the atmosphere, Rarity coughed into her hoof and got serious. "You know why I am here, right?" She asked suddenly, as if something grim was going to be said. Rainbow Dash wasn't sure why, so she just shrugged her shoulders with her usual flair of answering things. "I was allowed to help, but only in keeping you still. Now I don't have magic like Twilight, but I do have your trust, right?" Rainbow Dash nodded, not wanting to talk all mushy or anything in front of a stranger.

The designer was grabbing the fabrics needed to make a mock design before stitching the official suit together. The Wonderbolts had a special outfit meant for extreme speed and to withstand gale winds and brutal weather. They needed to be sleek and durable, as they had to keep the pony wearing it comfortable, and yet mobile. Though the start of the suit was just cheap fabrics to get a grasp at how it would fit, it was important in cutting costs since the material needed for the actual suit wasn't cheap.

Rarity and Rainbow talked while the designer started doing his job, he wasn't too fond of hearing idle gossip or exaggerated events, but the pegasus was remaining still. He wondered if any of the stories being shared were true, especially the one about some chaotic draconequus being friends with some shy, grounded pegasus. He wasn't listening in too intently, but he was intrigued nonetheless. "So then you guys wear costumes and fight bad guys?" He asked while putting on the final touches, trying to gain perspective on the two young women before him.

Rainbow Dash blinked. "Ok, first of all, we don't wear costumes, and yeah, we kick flanks." Her tone was almost boastful, but she refused to puff her chest out in her natural poise for the sake of getting done so that she could be finished with the boring stuff. She wanted to do the awesome stuff like practice with her idols... Wait a minute. They weren't idols anymore. The realization hit hard. She was now their equal and her dream had come true. Now what goals did she have for her life?

Rarity was gabbing on until she noticed something trailing down the cheek of the cyan pegasus. She thought it was a tear, but Rainbow doesn't cry, she pondered but didn't say anything in hopes of avoiding a social faux pas. She wasn't going to say something that could upset the defensive friend and cause a scene. She was, after all, there to keep her calm.

The designer finished his job and pulled the mock suit up with the colors matching the normal suits' and eyed it to make sure the finished product wouldn't have any mars or holes. Once satisfied, he gave Rainbow Dash a ticket with a time and date to retrieve her suit when it was ready. "That should be enough time for you to get settled with your routines and enough time before your first show to make sure it fits and works right." With that he trailed off and left the girls alone.

Rainbow Dash looked to Rarity and chuckled. "He is gone and now I can move my body. So, are you sticking around or going back to Ponyville?" She wasn't sure how long Rarity would be there, but she knew one thing, it was nice seeing a friend, even if it wasn't one of her preferred ones. Nothing against Rarity, but she wasn't really one of the ponies Rainbow really hung out with. But seeing her, just for this moment, helped Rainbow Dash relax and make it through the day.

Rarity frowned a bit. "I am sorry Rainbow Dash, non Wonderbolts aren't even allowed here or in the training area." She tried to hide the sorrow as she spoke on. "I was allowed this rare chance, with permission, just to help you in case you got nerves. However, I will see you in a week, right? They said something about a show to all of us before Spitfire personally came to me."

Rainbow chuckled, imagining Rarity being afraid because of the whole Best Young Flyers competition. "So she approached you after making some announcement?" She was curious about this town announcement, because she was wondering if her friends were excited for the show.

Rarity swooned while bringing a dramatic hoof to her head. "Darling, you should have been there. Princess Celestia herself came by to announce that the Wonderbolt's were going to be performing in Ponyville as a special send off to you. The town is preparing this big party in your honor and we are more than excited to see you strut your stuff," she said with a giggle that usually annoyed Rainbow, but this time it just made her smile.

Rainbow Dash was excited, but she realized that they were still in the shop and that she had to get to practice. "Well tell the girls I can't wait to see them, and tell Fluttershy to cheer loudly for me," she said with a small laugh. The soft voice of Fluttershy was something that was both soothing and annoying to Rainbow Dash, but when she was excited, that mare could cheer. "Rarity... thanks for visiting and for helping me see this day through. I am glad you guys are my friends, and I can't wait to make you all proud." She finished her statement by rushing off before Rarity could reply.

Rarity, with a small tear rolling down her face, whispered, "You already made us all proud Rainbow..." She gently sobbed, it had been one day since the picnic and already Rarity could see the sadness in her friends, it wasn't like they all were secretly in love with Rainbow Dash, but it was as if she was dying slowly and no one could cure her. She had seen how success could poison people. Fluttershy was a temporary model and Rarity herself was a big shot in Canterlot before coming to her senses when her friends showed up to party with her that one shameful day. "I just hope you don't forget us when time isn't on our side darling." She enunciated the last part while tears spilled. She was happy for her friend, but sad for the rest.

Applejack was grumpier than usual, Fluttershy was quiet again, Twilight wasn't as excited about the new Daring Do and was busy with royal duties, Pinkie seemed a bit... down. Rarity recalled the pink haired girl's obsession with Rainbow Dash and how she called her Dashie. Though even with Pinkie being that into Dash, she felt more sad for Fluttershy. It was as if Fluttershy's knight in shining armor had vanished. Then again, maybe she was being overly dramatic and seeing things that weren't there. All she knew was that she was going to miss her hero, the one who saved her from falling three times without so much as a second thought or wanting a gift in return. It's only been a day and yet it feels as if it has been a year. She put her dramatic hoof down and walked out the store, waiting for her ride back to Ponyville.

____________________________________________________________

Rainbow Dash was heading to the training grounds to practice with her ... team. Yeah, team I guess. Now that I’m a part of the team, I guess they’re more my friends than they are heroes. The tiring day left her a mix of sadness and excitement that she was living her dream. Just one day it had been since the picnic and already she was one day closer to being able to perform in front of thousands and being showered with diamonds... as she dreamed at the start of the Gala.

Author's Note:

So yeah this chapter was surprisingly stretched to just a day when it was supposed to be about her going to the party and performing and stuff but I guess I ended it here since I was going on about the design and physical. Well so far it has been one day and while yes Rainbow Dash being a bit sad is ooc-ish just remember she was in a sea of nameless faceless ponies and when you are used to seeing a friend for certain things having them not there is just a biting feeling. Though she shed one tear it wasn't too sad of an event just suddenly aware of changes. Small changes are fine in life sometimes too much change so fast can make ponies nervous or anxious anyways. Enough Rambling soon the fun begins right? I mean she is living her dream it can't go wrong at all.....