• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 3,445 Views, 307 Comments

Cause, Effect, and Consequences - Coltsguy



It looks like I get a second chance at a life in Equestria. Let's all find out if it works out this time or not.

  • ...
11
 307
 3,445

PreviousChapters Next
Wake Me When It's Over

This was kind of weird. I was just standing there in the Everfree Forest while standing face to face with a manticore about two feet away from me. It wasn't growling at me. It wasn't creeping towards me. It was lying on it's belly while smiling. Smiling! What was weirder was that I was smiling back without being afraid at all.

"I'd walk over and ruffle your mane, but I think we've got a good thing going right here and now."

Manny gave me a meow/purr thing that sounded like he was agreeing with me. This right there was the kind of thing I was thinking that would be what I might be doing when I came here the second time around. Facing down strange creatures wasn't quite like this, though, but I'd take it anyway. It kept me from be bored, anyway.

The whole reason we had to go into the forest was pretty simple. Manny the manticore had hurt his wing in some manner and Fluttershy was the only one that would treat him anywhere. He couldn't walk to her cottage, though, because it might create a panic if he left the forest in the wrong area. The reason for that was the fact that he didn't know the way there and almost all the animals in the Everfree gave him a wide berth so he couldn't ask for directions.

Anyway, the trip in was completely uneventful. It was sort of an odd coincidence that we ended up in the same field where Discord and I usually worked on my magic, but I chalked that up to there being very few safe and clear spots in the forest. Fluttershy was still a bit spooked by the forest, though that could just as easily have been me making things worse. All this time and I still hadn't seemed to make any headway with her. Or maybe I was just misreading things? I'll admit, I'm good at reading things on screen, but my skills in real life can be pathetically bad at times; not all the time, just sometimes.

"How do things look Fluttershy? Is this going to require a round trip?"

"Oh no, it's not too serious. Just a small fracture. I can patch that up right here and we can head back."

"Sounds good. Ya hear that Manny?"

Manny responded by rolling his eyes at me.

"Alright, it was a stupid question. I've just never talked to a manticore before. Hell, I've never- well, I guess when I was training with Discord that first time he had a manticore attack me, but that really doesn't count I think."

"Discord sent a manticore after you?" Fluttershy asked with some concern.

"Yeah, he did. Don't worry, I didn't hurt the manticore at all. I turned it into a kitten actually."

I received differing looks from both of them. A small, gentle look with a smile was given by Fluttershy. Manny just gave me a look that was part confusion and part 'are you kidding me?' It was pretty weird to say the least.

"It's in the past and I don't think anyone is holding a grudge."

A snort from Manny and things went silent again. God it was just really hard for me to talk to Fluttershy. She's shy and I just don't have any topics to talk about other than animals. Every time I chat with her it's either awkward silence or one sided talking fests on my end that just don't seem to head anywhere.

"Fluttershy?"

"Um, yes?"

"Why do we have such hard time talking with each other?"

Fluttershy looked up from where she was working on Manny to look at me. It was only for a moment as she quickly lowered her head again and hid behind her mane.

"I mean," I continued, "whenever I talk with anyone else around here, they'll at least engage me in conversation. I feel like when talk to you I'm just talking at you."

I squatted down next to her to meet her at her eye level. If she hadn't lowered her head it would've been off a bit, but then I wouldn't have needed to anyway.

"I mean, I told you this already but you're the being I identify with the most here. I'm usually introverted and hate when I have the attention of lots of people. Don't you remember when I had to give that public apology to Ponyville?"

"I wasn't there for that."

"Oh, well... um, I don't really think I have a good example other than that. At least nothing you would have seen."

I let out a sigh and tried to collect myself again.

"I just- I guess I just feel like I'm not doing a good job at being a good person with you or... whatever."

Yeah that came out eloquently. Fluttershy simply looked back to Manny.

"Manny, I've finished wrapping up your wing. Now don't go moving it around too much for the next few weeks or it might get worse. Okay?"

Manny made a growl that I'm sure was an affirmation. Then he gave me a quick glare before walking off into the forest. I was a little put off by it because I really hadn't done anything to get that treatment. In the end, I just had to let it slide since I could do anything about it.

"Ready to head back Fluttershy?"

"Yes. Let's go."

"You know, I could teleport us back if you would prefer so that you don't have to walk back through the forest."

"Well, that Doctor pony did seem like he needed to tell you something important. So I guess it's okay."

"The Doctor may need me for something, but I set my own schedule. Which do you want to do?"

I placed my hand on the top of her head to give her some assurance but when I did I felt her shiver and recoil slightly. I'd have to be an idiot to not notice this. I mentally sighed at seeing and feeling this. I didn't want to spring my issue on her like this, but I had to do this sometime and I would rather do it now so it wouldn't come up during some crucial moment to come. After all, knowing that this was a reality that was on television meant that the chances of that happening were significantly higher.

"Fluttershy, is everything okay? I feel like there's something coming between us that's more significant than just the usual shyness."

"N-no, there's nothing really," she said looking away.

I gently put my hand on her cheek and guided it back so that she was looking at me face to face. I also put my other hand on her other cheek so she didn't just look the other way.

"Please don't say that. There's something palpable here between us and I want to fix that. It can't just be my size because that manticore was bigger than I was and I've seen you talk down bears before that were being actively aggressive. I also know it isn't because of my chaotic nature because you're friends with Discord. There is something specific about me that is bringing this on. Please... please talk to me about it."

I actually started tearing up a bit because I had made myself a bit sad saying all of that. I didn't feel guilty about it until later when I realized that it might have made her feel bad too.

"I, um, I have a tough time trusting you," she half-whispered to me.

"You don't trust me?" I blinked.

"Um, not-not completely?" she finished lamely.

"Wow. That's... actually not a bad reason at all."

"It's not?"

"Fluttershy, when I first came here I made up a lie on the spot that I didn't know any of you. I did it because I was concerned what knowing about your lives being semi-televised would do to you all. Especially you. I mean, I've been messing around with magic without any education on the subject and that can't be very reassuring for any ponies to be trusting of me. People can end up using deception as a tool and keep using it until well after it breaks. It's not something that we are necessarily proud of, but it's something we use often enough that it just comes easier to do than not sometimes. Lying can help and lying can hurt. It's all in how you use it. I won't say that I won't lie again, but I won't ever try to hurt you or anyone else I care about by lying. Of that, I can assure you."

We both stared at each other for a bit before Fluttershy gave me a smile.

"That's really all I can ask for I guess."

"Alright, now let's go back and see what's troubling the Doctor."

"We can teleport back to your place to see if he's there."

"You're fine with teleporting?"

"I think I am for right now."

"Okay. Let's go!"

That said, we teleported right into the living room of the cabin. I then stood up and led her out of the house. Waiting outside for us was the Doctor and the rest of the Justice League- I mean Main Six.

"It's about time you got back," Rainbow Dash huffed.

"Just helping someone in the Everfree. Now that we're done with that, we can attend to whatever the Doctor is here for."

"I'm afraid it's nothing good. We need to head to Appleloosa as quickly as possible."

"What for?" asked Twilight.

"The spacial tears are reopening. If they get too big then Equestria and those other worlds will likely be ripped asunder."

Everyone let out a gasp at the news. Well, I made more of an 'ugh' sound. It was still indicative of what I thought about the issue.

"I try to get out, but they just keep pulling me back in," I blurt out. "So, just what are we going to be doing about this?"

"Well, the energy being emitted from the tears are affecting the area to an extent that I must unfortunately leave the TARDIS here."

"No kidding. I've seen what happens if it blows up."

"Really?" he asked very inquisitively. "Does that mean that someone destroys my TARDIS?"

"It did but it wasn't a fixed event so it got better."

"Interesting."

"Hello!?!' yelled Rainbow Dash. "Both of you eggheads are getting off track! We've gotta save Equestria remember?"

"Rainbow Dash is right," Twilight said while getting our attention with a stomp. "Let's all head to the train station as quickly as possible."

"Aw man, not the train again," I grumbled out loud.

"What's wrong with the train?" Rarity asked. "It's easily the fastest and most luxurious way to travel to our destination."

"It's great for you because you can fit inside it without feeling cramped."

"Well there ain't no other way tah get there so yer just gonna hafta buck up and get it over with."

I was going to listen to her, but I had a nice little epiphany.

"Or, I could choose to ride in style."

With a snap of my fingers, I managed to teleport us all to the train station. Before anyone could recover from the impromptu change, I snapped my fingers again. There was a large flash of light and after it dissipated everyone was quite confused at what they saw. It was a 1970 Plymouth Barricuda; the same car that was used in the series 'Nash Bridges'. I was going to make a Mustang convertible to be a bit of a gag, but I felt that this would be more appropriate.

"Now this is how I'm going to head there."

"What is that?" asked Twilight.

"This is a car. A more personal type of transportation device. It's a lot like a wagon only with machinery providing the force to make it move, similar to how the train goes, but more compact and quite a bit faster."

"How fast does it go?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"It can top out at over 150 miles per hour."

"That's pretty good. Can I go with you then? I wanna feel the wind in my mane when I'm traveling."

"Well, I really don't think it's designed with a pony in mind and I really don't like anyone riding in this without a seat belt on which wouldn't fit you right now."

"Well you could just turn me into a human for the ride there. That would work."

That kind of left me speechless for a bit.

"Well? We don't have all day," she said impatiently.

"This doesn't make much sense to me, but you know what? We'll just discuss it on the way there."

I concentrated a bit and snapped my fingers. A flash of light later and Rainbow Dash was now fully human. There wasn't even the wings there from when I did that by accident last time though she still had rainbow colored hair going halfway down her back. Also unlike last time, I had her clothed from the start. I didn't want to get in trouble for that again either. She was wearing a white t-shirt with a light blue hemline around the edges and her cutie mark displayed in the middle of her chest. She was also wearing some snug blue jeans and a pair of black athletic sneakers.

"Alright! This is- Hey! Where are my wings?"

"You won't need them anyway and they would just be really uncomfortable while sitting in there."

She touched at where her wings would likely be and nodded with a grunt.

"Leeeeet's just get going," I drolled out. "I'd rather not have anything happening while we're on our way there."

PreviousChapters Next