• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 3,444 Views, 307 Comments

Cause, Effect, and Consequences - Coltsguy



It looks like I get a second chance at a life in Equestria. Let's all find out if it works out this time or not.

  • ...
11
 307
 3,444

PreviousChapters Next
They Call Him Jack

Fuzzy Lumpkins. What the fuck man? The second I ask where we were headed, I was told that we were going to the Lumpkins' family home. It's like you're being told you're headed to the Hulk's house. Nothing good is going to come from that. For the record, the two are not on the same level of strength. It's that Fuzzy can become sort of like a rage monster if you trespass on his property. The same can be said if you mess with his banjo. Guess which one I was going to be stuck doing?

I didn't get informed of where we were headed before we left. Just that they knew where the rift was. A bit secretive of them for no reason I could discern. The didn't stop Deedee or Dexter from declining to come with us. Apparently, the preparations that he was making were simply because his parents had told him to set the table for a family get together that was going to take place for the rest of the day. A lunch then and a dinner later. That also meant he couldn't explain any of the functions of my new eyes in any sort of detail. Knowing this he gave me a printout of the functions so that I could read them myself. It was a hundred and eighteen pages long. That was how long it was with just information relative to what I could possibly do with them. He had also said that he dumbed it down for me so I could comprehend it properly; the smug jerk.

I didn't have a chance to read it as I was carried the whole way there by Buttercup. I didn't go in a fireman's carry nor under the shoulders. I ended up being carried bridal style. It was so odd that I couldn't even comprehend it until she said something while we were in the air that really shocked me.

"Don't read into this. I kinda like older guys, that's all."

I simply stared at her for a minute.

"What? What's with the look?"

"You haven't been hypnotized right? Like by accident or-"

"Shut up! I should've kept my mouth shut. And don't tell anybody I said that or I'll beat you up!"

"Alright, alright, I won't!"

I didn't until now. Somebody hadn't learned their lesson. I did check to see if anyone messed with her head just in case I fucked up again, but I couldn't feel anything wrong. If something had been done to make her think that way then at least it wasn't my fault. That's really the only solace I would take from it.

For the record the only reason she was the one carrying me was because Fluttershy was being carried by Blossom and Bubbles was busy carrying Mac who had decided to come along. In all the time he had been around there he hadn't ever run into any of the Lumpkins' family. He had wanted to meet them for awhile, but didn't want to trespass for fear of being shot at. I can understand that.

It took the six of us fifteen minutes to get to the hillside that belonged to Fuzzy. We all touched down on the trail that led up to their house. I didn't see the rift from the air, but there was quite a bit of forested area out there. I wonder how they knew it was there if they couldn't see it? Life is full of mysteries I just couldn't get answers to. Well, that or they used an aerial search pattern with the coin as a guidance point. Not sure about that since Eris seemed to be the equivalent of catatonic.

It took a few moments before a lone figure was spotted coming down the hill. I thought it would be Fuzzy himself, but I realized that they were too slender to be Fuzzy. As they got closer, I became awestruck as I realized who it was. He was of Asian decent wearing his black hair up in a topknot. He was wearing a white Chinese silk shirt with long sleeves and a pair of what seemed to be over-sized black pants. It wasn't until he got closer that I could see that it was just the legs that were too big and the rest was fit properly. I bet that was designed as such for easier running and other movement. On his feet, he was wearing a pair of wooden sandals with black straps. Even without some of his normal features, the sheer presence surrounding him as well as the katana hanging on his belt led me to a single conclusion.

I was in the presence of Samurai Jack. I think I almost squeed.

"Greetings everyone. I have managed to convince Mr. Lumpkins to allow us temporary passage onto his property to remove the... what was it called again?"

It took me a moment to realize that he was talking to me.

"I just think it's a spacial rift so I'm just calling it a rift or a tear," I told him a bit softly.

"I see. Once we repair the damage we are to leave immediately. Does everyone understand?"

"Yes sir!" the four natives chorused.

"Are we going to see Fuzzy sir?" Mac asked with mild excitement.

"As long as we do not overextend our welcome we should not have any issues that require his attention. He is merely going to observe us from his home."

An aww of disappointment came from Mac as Bubbles let out a giggle and patted him on the head. I ignored them pretty much. Instead, I placed my hands at my sides and gave a deep bow to Jack.

"Samurai Jack, you have my deepest gratitude not just for your assistance here, but for all the deeds you have performed in the name of defeating Aku. You are a true hero and an inspiration."

"Please, there is no need for such graciousness. I simply did what needed to be done. I dare say I owe you a bit of gratitude for assisting my granddaughters the other day. Though I am glad to see there was no permanent harm done from their later mishap."

I stood back up and looked at the two in question. It seems that they either underplayed the damage done or they already told him that I received the new eyes and he determined that since I could still see that that constituted no permanent harm in his mind. Either way I decided to play along so nobody would get upset.

"Nah. It's all good now," I said and turned back to face him. "They apologized and I forgave them so there's no ill will there. All that's left is for us to save the day."

"I am glad to hear that. We should hurry along. Mr. Lumpkins' patience is not very long."

A few agreeing nods later and we started up the hill. I will say that when we passed by Fuzzy's shack, and believe me it was little more than a wooden shack, a few minutes later I could easily feel the weird vibe coming from it that let me know someone was watching us despite no one being outside. It weakened after we passed it by, but it never really went away as we continued on. I pulled Eris out of my pocket and performed a quick check to see where to head. It turned out to be unnecessary as Jack had already pinpointed the location when he was speaking with Fuzzy earlier. Apparently Fuzzy wanted to claim the thing as his since it was on his property already. He almost didn't give up on that until he had it explained to him, three times I might add, that it could destroy the rest of his property if left alone. It still took a bit of effort to smooth things over before we were allowed to rectify things.

As it was, the rift was held in place on the trunk of a tree. I expected some kind of issue to prevent me from just finishing the whole thing up but nothing was there waiting for me. Pretty much as anticlimactic as you might think. Then again, if I had just come here before without getting those knockout blows we would have just walked onto the hill and ended up fighting Fuzzy and perhaps some of his kinfolk. I guess that was the trade off. I got my face bashed in there so I missed the boss fight. I missed getting fighting experience and instead I received some kick ass new eyes.

I think that's a fair trade. I'm not really a direct fighter anyway. I'm more of a misdirection-based attacker. It shows in the spells I know. Invisibility, illusions, teleportation, all of these are better for fooling an opponent and picking my spots. That beautiful 'warp kamehameha' I pulled off is my prime example of this. I think 'stealth mage' is probably the best term I could come up with to describe it, but I bet someone else would have a better one.

"Alright! Time to fix things and get Fluttershy back to her friends. Are you ready Fluttershy?"

Said mare shrunk back a little with attention now directed on her.

"I, um, yes. I'm ready," she said a little shakily.

I bent down on a knee beside her and held out Eris. I gave her an encouraging smile as well before she gave a hint of a smile herself and reached out and took her from my hand. Then, she walked in a slow gait over to the rift. She held Eris out to the rift, hesitated a bit, and looked away with her eyes closed as she placed Eris up to it. There was a small flash as the rift closed up around the point of contact. Fluttershy opened one eye, then the other, and finally she settled down and walked back over to me.

"Good job Fluttershy. You did great," I praised.

"Oh, um, it was nothing really. Eris did all of the work."

"But without you nothing would've worked at all. You were essential here."

I glanced down at Eris, which was still in her hoof, and noted that it was counting down again. This time there was still over two minutes there.

"It's time to head back to Equestria though. We've got four more of these to fix."

"Maybe we can come along!" Buttercup said excitedly. "That might be a good way to help you for what we did."

"If only you could Buttercup. You wouldn't be able to survive the trip let alone come back. I wouldn't want to do that."

She sagged a little at hearing that. Blossom placed a knowing hand on her sister's shoulder that helped get her back to normal quickly enough.

"Well, this trip was much better than the last one anyway. The people actually like me here."

"You are most kind in your words stranger. May your quest end in success," he said with a slight bow.

"Well, thank you very much sir," I said while returning the small bow with one of my own. "If I ever find my way back here under non-hazardous circumstances I'd love to hear about how you did make things right."

"I do not usually like to talk about it, but I shall think upon doing so."

"Good enough for me."

"Come and say hi if you're ever around," Blossom said.

"Don't be a stranger!" Bubbles cried happily.

"Yeah, all that mushy goodbye stuff and whatever," Buttercup said dismissively.

"Yeah, I don't know you very well yet, but you seem nice," Mac said trying to be nice.

"I'll take it."

Thirty seconds left to go. It felt a bit awkward when goodbyes were said and we were still there. Near the end of it, Fluttershy tugged on my shirt to get my attention.

"I-I guess... maybe I could start to trust you a little maybe."

I didn't even get a chance to ask what she was talking about before the light from Eris appeared and whisked us off to our next destination.

Author's Note:

I had to finish this chapter from my mobile phone since my computer suddenly decided that it hated anything to do with the internet. If anyone sees some issue or spelling goofs let me know. I can't check things out well enough from here.

PreviousChapters Next