• Published 12th Jul 2013
  • 5,190 Views, 62 Comments

Never Gone - YourNeighborhoodAlicorn



Spike was never born into a lifestyle filled with ponies, he was raised with dragons as Razzie. One day, after an incident, he wakes up in a strange town filled with ponies.

  • ...
4
 62
 5,190

A Difficult Situation

Ow...

That’s really all I can say right now.

It hurts to think, and anything else for that matter.

I feel disoriented. My mind is in shambles, and I don’t know what is going on. I can’t see, and even if I did, my eyes were really sore. I feel something covering my eyes. I can feel something on my hands holding me back. There’s something cold I feel on my wrist and there’s some sort of material bounding me to it. How did I end up here? That really depends on where ‘here’ is.

My throat is completely dry and I doubt I want to call for help right now.

I’m laying down, that much is obvious. My back is arched and my head is at a slight elevation above. I can feel something on my side, but I don’t know what it is. There seems to be a cover over me as well, and it sticks to me as I move.

I feel some sort of weird paper on my head. If only I could touch what it is. I can feel the same paper around my chest and on my hips. They feel wet, and it’s really itchy too.

I guess the real question to ask here is, where am I? More importantly, who am I?

I struggle with whatever is tieing me, but to no avail. I have absolutely no energy, and every time I move, I feel some sharp stick at my side. I can hear birds chirping and this inconsistent beeping in my ear. It’s getting really annoying and if I move, the beeping gets louder and repeats more frequently.

I move my feet, only barely considering my lack of energy. They weren’t bound to anything, so I slowly slide them to the side. The sheets covering me were slowly coming off, making a breeze come in. Just a little more and it’s off. With one quick movement, I pick up the cover with my foot and throw it. The wind was now completely over me. Now I had to work on getting my hands free.

I try again to struggle loose, but whatever is holding me down was tight. I need something to cut it, but that’s useless since I can’t see. I can’t do anything, I’m stuck here without a clue of what’s going on. My headache is starting to worsen and that’s really not helping right now.

I don’t know if I should resort to calling for help. It seems like the most logical thing to do right now, but it might have dire consequences. It seems as if something tied me up, but why?

Minus well.

“Hello?” I say, no response. Of course no one is going to respond, I said it super low. I clear my throat again.

“Is anybody out there?! I need help!” I yell at the top of my lungs. My throat hurts from yelling that loud, if no one heard that, I doubt there’s anyone here.

What just trickled down my back? It feels weird, and there’s a sharp stinging sensation coming from it now.

I hear a click, like the sound of a door closing. Did someone just come in? It feels like it. I hear footsteps, and the sound of mumbling. Who just came in here? And once again, where is here?

I struggle with the material behind my back to let go of my arms. I think whoever came inside just gasped. I hear mumbling again, this time I could make out more than just one voice.

“Now, now, quit fiddlin’ so much, yer gonna open up yer wounds again.” The voice has a thick accent, that much is obvious. “Twi, you know what to do.” Who’s Twi?

What is this sensation near my eyes? Whatever it is, it seems to be fiddling with what is covering my eyes. I keep seeing random spots of light, as the cover comes off of me. All I can is white, along with some oddly colored blobs. Everything is painstakingly bright, and it hurts a bit.

I can’t bring myself to speak, even though I yelled a bit earlier.

I try to squint my eyes, though my vision doesn’t improve much. It’s like staring at the sun for too long, maybe even worse than that. I keep seeing the blobs move around, get close up to each other, talking or what seemed like it.

“H-his cut on his back opened up again...” The voice is different this time, it doesn’t have an accent and was a lot lower. It seems to have a small squeaky effect to it.

I feel more fluid rush down my back, was I hurt? I can’t feel any pain, so what is going down my back? It feels thick, like blood, but that’s impossible.

“Yes, I can see that, hmm...” A new voice chimes n, this one sounding much more clearer and sounded much more normally than the others. “I’m no expert on medical science, but I would say he has regained consciousness.”

Are they referring to me?

“I’m surprised he’s still breathin’.” I hear the one with the accent say. “Hey there partner, can yah talk?”

So they are talking to me. My vision is slowly adjusting, but I can make out some figures walking on all fours. The orange blob seems to be coming closer. I guess I should try to speak, but I gave out all my energy from yelling.

What could I say?

“...Nrgh...” I give out a small groan of pain. It’s really all I could muster out, it it hurts to even move, let alone talk. I try to lift my head up to look at them, but I can’t hold it in place.

They seemed genuinely surprised, as I hear one of them gasp.

“Would yah look at that? Feller did survive.”

That adds another question to the long list of things I need to ask. How exactly am I going to speak to something I can’t see? And why am I still tied up?

“YAY! Now we can throw a party, it’ll be filled with cake and dancing and ICE CREAM! And also, we can-” Another voice, this time sounding much more hyperactive and bubbly, starts talking at an extremely fast pace. I almost can’t keep up with it.

“Now, now, Pinkie, we still don’t know what this creature is, let alone if he’s dangerous.” I have no idea what’s going on. I’m tied up on a bed, and they’re talking about how I might be dangerous. Why are there so many people in here? This new voice is a lot more pompous than the others, and seems to have concern when she speaks. I think it’s a she. All of them sound like shes anyway.

“Heh, so he survived an Ursa Major attack, big deal. I could take on ten of them with my hooves behind my back!” Hooves? And what’s an Ursa Major? This sixth voice sounds more smug than the rest of them, and she seems to be showing off.

The material holding my hands is really starting to itch now. I try not to fidget with it, but the itch is too unbearable. I try to rub my hands in between the metal bar, only relieving it a little.

My vision is starting to get a bit better, I can see more of these creatures on all fours. They all have different colors to them, and their hair seems to mix and match. More fluid trickles down my back, it feels weird.

“We should really do something about his wound, Applejack, pass me that gauze and that cloth.” Are they planning something?

I feel something rub against my back, wiping off whatever fluid was flowing down my back before. Funny, I don’t feel anything but the cloth touching me.

“Now, this might sting a little bit, alright?” The squeaky voice says, though I really don’t know why. It isn’t as though I can move. Then again, if I’m in danger now, I would have been in danger while I was unconscious. She sounds like she needs an answer from me. Should I trust them? At this point, I don’t even know if I really have a choice in the matter.

I try to clear my throat, all I get is a useless gulp. “Uh... Sure...?” There isn’t much else for me to say, really, and part of me just wants to get this over with. I hope this means I’ll lose those ropes soon.

This time, I do feel something else touch me, in addition to the cloth. It seems to be delicate, moving gently along my back. I also feel a stinging sensation, though I was sort of expecting that, they did warn me. After what seems to take forever, the stinging stops and I feel something covering a spot on my back.

“Well, that takes care of the wound, but now what are we going to do?” Everything seems to go silent for a bit, until the same voice chimes in again. “Um, Mr. Dragon, sir, can you speak?” Isn’t it obvious?

“Y-yes...” That’s all I could muster out. My vision is now normal again, but what I see isn’t what I was expecting. There are six... horses? They are all staring at me with odd expressions on their faces. Honestly, I wasn’t expecting to see talking horses. Then again, I really don’t know what I was expecting.

All of them are standing close to each other. They all have different features to them, the most noticeable would have to be their colors. They all mix and match in their fur and mane. Along with that, they have different features to them. One has a horn on it’s head, two have wings, while the others didn’t have anything. The purple one standing in front of all of them has both wings and a horn. In addition to that, they all have necklaces on. The purple horse has a crown on it’s head, but looked similar to the necklaces.

They seem more surprised than I am right now and that’s saying a lot.

These ropes are really starting to get irritating. I can’t exactly ask them to untie me, the fact that I’m breathing seems to startle them. Do horses even get startled? And how are they even talking?

They might tell me if I ask, but maybe that’s not such a good idea. How can you ask a creature why they can talk, or how they had tied me down, and now sound completely insulting?

“Vitals are normal, and his heart rate seems fine.” The purple one says. I really don’t know if there is anything to respond to that beyond the obvious sigh of joy. Vitals normal, heart rate normal, everything seems to me like it’s going as well as can be expected. Though, I really don’t know what ‘it’ is. By the looks of the stitches on my arms and legs, I might have been hurt.

The obvious question came to mind.

“W-who... are you?” At least I can talk a bit more now.

The purple horse puts a normal look on her face.

“I am Princess Twilight Sparkle, but you can just call me Twilight.” Princess Twilight Sparkle, huh... Why does that name sound so overly cliche? That is something I definitely need to keep to myself, she might not respond well if I say that. “These are my friends.”

“Nice to meet yah, my name is Applejack.” The orange horse says. Her accent is a bit easier to understand now, but man, it is thick.

I hear one of them clear their throats, and now I’m looking at the prissy sounding white one. “Greetings, my name is Lady Rarity Filigree! But you can just call me Rarity, darling.” Like I was going to call you by anything else? That name pretty much confounds me. Lady Rarity? That sounds like someone who is really into themselves. Then again, I might be wrong. Applejack itself is a weird name, so maybe I shouldn’t be so surprised.

I shouldn’t judge these horses so quickly. I see a pink horse jump into the air, barely touching the ceiling and lands right in front of the bed. She has a giant smile on her face and is squealing.

“Hiya! My name is...”She pulls out some sort of cannon and puts herself inside it. She detonates the cannon sending a bunch of streamers all over the place, some landing on my head as I shake them off. “PINKIE PIEEEEEEEEEEE!”

What an intro...

A rational being might ask why she has a cannon in here, or why she had it loaded with streamers in the first place, but I’m not going to. Something tells me that the answer isn’t something I’m going to like. After all, anyone who would do all of that likely isn’t going to think that it’s anything special. Aside from that, not a single one of the horses have been normal so far, except maybe that purple one. Maybe this is normal for them.

I don’t know if I want to think about that possibility.

Hopefully, this one is the craziest I’m going to see. I shift back a bit, making sure the pink one doesn’t shoot that cannon at me again.

“Now, now, Pinkie, calm down, you’re scarin’ the poor guy.” Applejack says, pulling the pink one into a chair. She is still shifting a bit, but hopefully no more sudden surprises.

“Heh, I don’t get why he’s so scared, it’s just Pinkie doing her thing.” When did that blue horse get into the air? “Name’s Rainbow Dash, and quit staring at me like that, it’s creepy.”

Ok, I take it back. Rainbow Dash is the most overly cliche name I have ever heard. Gah, it hurts to laugh... Seriously, what kind of naming system do these horses have?

“Hey, where’s Fluttershy at? She was right next to me...” Rainbow Dash, I swear I snickered a bit at the name, says.

“O-over here...” The voice comes from below me. I look to the side of the bed to see a pink strand of hair popping out from under it.

“Fluttershy, what are you doing down there?” Fluttershy? Well, I think with a name like that it would be pretty obvious why she’s down there.

“O-oh, um... I thought I saw an injured rat?” She peeks her head out and sees me staring back at her. She gives a small ‘Eep!’ before returning to her hiding spot.

“Fluttershy, come on, he’s not going to hurt you, it’s not like he’s in a position to, anyway.” Finally, someone that made sense.

The yellow one slowly crawls out of the small space under the hospital bed, getting to her fee- err, hooves, as quiet as possible. She goes behind Twilight, hiding behind her enormous amount of hair. It almost seems weird that such a small horse would have so much hair.

“H-hi, I’m Fluttershy."

Flu-something-something. Clearly I need to get my ears checked, because I should be able to understand this. My ears are working perfectly, I can normally hear a pin drop from across the room. Either that, or that cannon earlier made me deaf. For the life of me, though, I can’t understand what the rest of her name is. The only way for me to find out is to ask her.

“Flu-what?” I say in a way that doesn’t make me sound rude. All I get back is a simple squeak. Was it something I did?

“Sorry about that, Fluttershy just has a really hard time around strangers. And she also has a bit of a phobia of dragons.”

“Not to mention the fact that you’re pretty weird, cause you’re a dragon and all.” Wow, ok. That’s a lot coming from someone with six colors in her hair. Not to mention the fact you are all talking horses. I definitely won’t say any of that, though, because somebody has to be diplomatic. And I don’t want to test if they are hostile or not, then again, they did put me in the hospital and treat my wounds, wherever I got them from.

Everything aside, these names just don’t make much sense to me. But, beggars can’t be choosers. Now comes to the real question, how the hell did I end up here?

“Now that you know all of our names, what’s yours?”

...Why haven’t I stopped to consider that? Here I am, judging their names, and I don’t even know mine. No matter how much I think, my mind is just keeps drawing a blank. What should I say? I think they can see how much I’m struggling, because Twilight puts a hoof over her chin.

“Erm... I, uh... don’t know...” I shrug, maybe I shouldn’t have. Rainbow is giving me a suspicious look, almost as if she doesn’t believe that I don’t know what my name is. All of them are giving me looks, I’m starting to notice. It does seem kind of weird, when I really think about it.

“Oh, that must be awful.” Fluttershy seems like she’s able to talk now, which helps me out immensely. She also has a lot more confidence in her voice, which is good, at least. “Do you remember anything at all?”

That is a good question. I look up, close my eyes, and I try to think of anything. The only thing that comes of it, though, is a giant headache. She could obviously see me struggling, I think I could feel veins popping out from somewhere. Then again, I’m still tied up, so I wouldn’t be able to feel them. After all my effort, absolutely nothing comes up.

“N-no, nothing.” Rainbow is still giving me that suspicious look and it’s really creepy. It still isn’t as creepy as that smile that Pinkie Pie is giving me now. Twilight seems to rub her chin even harder and then puts her hoof down.

“Is Nurse Redheart back with the chart yet?”

Do they pull their names out of a hat or something? That’s another thing I probably shouldn’t say.

“No, not yet, she’s still drawing it up. I wonder what’s taking her so long?” That’s something I’m wondering too, Fluttershy.

“Well, he is a dragon, the fact that they are making a chart is a miracle.” I take it that dragons don’t come around here often. Maybe I should cut them some slack then, since I’m probably lucky they were able to fix up whatever happened to me to begin with. That, and for a different species, they are being pretty friendly.

Right then, I hear the door click, and in the doorway stands another one of them. She has pink hair, like Fluttershy’s, except it looks a shade lighter. She has a nurse outfit, which I find kinda strange, since the only other one wearing an article of clothing is Applejack. She has some form of a tattoo on her rear, it looks like a red cross surrounded by small pink hearts. In her hoof, she is holding some sort of envelope.

That must be whatever chart they were talking about just now. I have to say, I’m starting to wonder what I hope to see on there. I don’t think I have my name tattooed on me anywhere, so that’s out. My history isn’t in book form, not yet anyway. Maybe I can figure out how I got here, that might be good.

“We have the data from his recovery, and uh... well, just see for yourselves.” From the way her tone sounds, I don’t think I want to know what’s in that envelope.

She walks over to Twilight and hands the envelope to her.

Wait, why is it glowing purple?

The envelope floats in the air, levitating slowly to Twilight, who picks it up in her hoof. How did she just do that? I probably should say something, but nothing is coming out. It just doesn’t make any sense at all. And why was her horn glowing?

“H-how did you...” That’s all I could muster out. She looks at me with a confused look.

“What, my magic? Oh, it’s nothing.” Nothing?! You just levitated an object in the air without even trying, that doesn’t qualify as nothing. How do they even have magic? Maybe I shouldn’t tread on their bad side, I don’t want to find out what else her magic can do.

She proceeds to open the envelope and pulls out a small paper, this time not using her ‘magic’. The others gather around her and start reading the piece of paper.

Something about their expressions tells me that whatever is written in that paper isn’t very good. I only hope it isn’t some sort of flesh-eating virus or something. I don’t seem to have a craving for flesh. I don’t think I have a craving for anything at the moment. Maybe a snack would be nice, the more that I think about it.

“Dang, that’s gotta be tough.” Applejack says, without taking her eyes off the paper.

What exactly is on there? The suspense is killing me. Maybe I should ask.

“W-what happened?” I couldn’t say much else without sounding rude. Twilight puts the paper on a nearby table, giving me a somewhat nervous smile.

“I don’t know how to say this...” That is never good. I wish she would just tell me straight up, she’s starting to creep me out. She starts to walk toward me, her head shaking every so often. I know that I need to be told, but each second makes me think that maybe I shouldn’t have asked. She stops almost inches away from the bed, and clears her throat.

“You uh... How do I put this...” She scratches the back of her head, somehow. “There was an immense amount of trauma in your-” She is speaking too fast at this point, so I just tune her out. I did pick up on the words ‘amnesia’ and ‘brain trauma’ though.

So, amnesia, huh?

I gotta say, I wasn’t expecting that. Then again, I have amnesia, how would I?

“So, yeah...” She gives a sigh of relief. “How are you holding up?”

I can’t really answer that question with honesty, because if I said I was doing ok, it would be a complete lie. Maybe it’s better if I just don’t say anything at all. I give her my best pained expression, which isn’t very hard.

“That bad, huh?” Rainbow Dash says. “Well, when we found him, that was pretty much expected.”

Well, here goes nothing. I gather up all the strength I have left.

“What exactly happened to me?” Gah, that took a lot out of me.

“Well, we were all returning from an expedition into the Everfree Forest, when we heard something roaring in the distance. When we went to investigate, there was an Ursa Major going on a rampage and destroying everything in sight. Fluttershy had managed to calm it down, but when we were looking around for what had caused it to get angry, we found you, unconscious and bleeding through the back of your head.”

“You should have seen it, so much blood-”

“RAINBOW!” To say that I’m glad I don’t have to hear the rest of that would be a drastic understatement. Luckily, Twilight has my back. “Anyway, before I was rudely interrupted.”

“We took you back here to get treated and now, here we are.” She seems to have something else on her mind. “I am honestly surprised, though. Whenever an Ursa Major attacks anything, it injects it with deadly poison stored in it’s claws. Like a self-defense mechanism. ” With those odds, I’m surprised I’m laying here now. And how did that small yellow horse manage to calm a giant ravaging beast?

I look over at Fluttershy again, maybe I’m missing something. She doesn’t look particularly strong, or threatening, and anything that can take me down is obviously at least one of those two things. “I’m sorry, what?” I look back to Twilight, hoping she might be able to tell me more about how such a tiny horse would be able to calm down a terrifying beast with poisoned claws.

It sounds terrifying to me anyway.

“We found you in-”

“No, not that, the part where Fluttershy calmed it down. It just doesn’t-” I don’t want to say that it makes no sense, even though it doesn’t. That just seems rude.

“She’s actually really good with animals, she could stop a whole army of angry manticores with just one word.” I don’t know what a manticore is, but it sounds dangerous. If she could do that, then I really don’t want to mess with her. I see her hiding behind her hair again.

“So, where am I?” I know I’m in the hospital, that much is true, but what region is this?

“You are in Equestria, more specifically Ponyville. It was a long trek from the Everfree to back here, but we managed to do it.” Ponyville? Why does this sound like some sort of little girl’s fantasy? Maybe I shouldn’t refer to them as horses then.

I have so many questions right now.

“So, what happens to me now? I can’t remember anything from before.” I haven’t thought of the future, mostly because I am concerned with the past.

“The nurse is going to keep you here for a few more days to run some more exams on you. When you’re released, you will come and live with me for the time being until we can figure out something long-term.” She puts her hoof on my head to check my temperature. “But for now, relax. Too much stress will cause your blood pressure to raise too high or your wounds might open up again.” That sounds like something I don’t want at all.

“Me and the others will come to check on you tomorrow, but for now, get some rest.” Finally, I need the relaxation.

“So, wait, what are we gonna call him? We can’t just keep calling him ‘The injured dragon we found in the Everfree.’” Rainbow Dash chimes in.

“Hmm, you’re right, Rainbow Dash.” She puts her hoof to her chin and scratches it.

“Well, he does have pointed scales on his head...” Fluttershy says from across the room.

After about five minutes, Twilight finally lets out a gasp and puts her hoof up.

“We’ll call you...” Please don’t let my name be Sunshine Lollipops or something like that...

“Spike!” ...Really?

That’s all they could come up with? I’m sure the way they got that name was absolutely astronomical. I guess beggars can’t be choosers.

“Well, do you like it?”

No. “It’s fine.”

“Perfect.” Twilight gets up and stretches, while giving big yawn. “Well then, Spike, we’ll see you tomorrow.”

Looking back, it could be worse. These ponies have been nice enough, and they even just gave me a name. It is a horrible name, but at least I have one now. Plus, they went through all that trouble of dragging me here and caring for me, so there’s that. My only question would be was what I was doing in that forest, I think it was the Everfree they called it.

I don’t know, but for now, I’m going to get some shuteye. I can tell these next few days are going to be taxing, what with me stuck in the hospital and all. Maybe it won’t be that bad, at least they’ll come and visit me. At least after that, I can get out of here.

Then I get to stay with one of those ponies, just long enough to … I still have no idea. Oh well, that’s a problem for future me.

~

Two days have passed, and I still don’t know why she needed to do some of those tests. I mean, testing my height to see if it would affect my brain? How does that even work?

I feel a lot better than before, the headaches have almost completely stopped and my wounds have healed enough to not have to wear a bandage. Though, I do have a lot of scars. Applejack also untied the ropes, apparently they wanted to make sure I didn’t do anything dangerous.

Now, here I am, with Twilight as she is preparing for me to check out. The nurse already made the bed behind me, preparing it for some other person. The fact that I still don’t know anything about where I’m going to be living should bother me, but it doesn’t. I’m just glad that I don’t have to be in a hospital anymore.

“Are you ready, Spike?”

Words cannot describe how ready I am. “I guess.” Those words definitely don’t describe it, why did I just say that?

“Oh, cheer up, it’ll be fun.” Fun involves going somewhere you don’t know about with somebody that you have only known for a few days? I seriously need to stop being so negative. Maybe if I ask her about her house, I can at least get some information about it.

“So, where are we going again?”

“That’ll be a surprise.” Then she winks at me, and I start to worry. It isn’t just the wink, it’s the fact that she’s taking me somewhere I don’t know. The wink is actually nothing to worry about. Why does she assume I’ll react well to surprises?

Maybe I should just look on the bright side of things. I doubt it would be anything bad. If they had wanted to do something bad, they likely would have just left me where I was. Positive thinking, Spike... that name is going to take some time to get used to. I don’t want to say anything about it, I’m afraid of getting on Twilight’s bad side.

She could probably do some scary things with her magic. The mere thought of it makes me shudder.

As soon as we head out the door, I almost get hit by something. When I look up, I see a weird gray pony with an embarrassed look on her face. “Oops. My bad.” Is she looking at me, or the floor?

“It’s ok, it was my fault for not looking where I was going.” I try to give my best smile, which seems to work. When I look, she’s gone.

Twilight looks back at me. “What happened?”

“Oh, it was nothing.” I catch up to her; I know that it’s better not to tell her. For all I know, that’s her sister and she’d get insulted. Maybe, with any luck, we can get to wherever it is we’re going without somebody dropping something else and almost smashing me in the head.

Even with the threat of random things dropping on my head, though, at least there’s fresh air. It’s relaxing for a change, definitely way better than the air in that hospital. Too gloomy, too depressing.

From the look of it, I say this is a pretty quaint town. There are various stone houses, a few buildings that look like shops with signs in front of them, and some ponies around that seem to be watering plants. The one thing that catches my eye is the giant gold statue of a pony that looks like Twilight, except she has a much longer horn and wings. She looks taller too. I can see a plaque, but I’m too far away to actually read it.

I follow Twilight to a place that has a bunch of stands with more ponies behind. Almost all of them have different types of fruit in them. At least I’m starting to see a trend here, nobody eats meat at all. Or maybe they do, but it’s frowned upon.

“Howdy, ya’ll!” A voice rings out, when I look to where it came from, I see Applejack behind one of the stands.

“Oh, hey Applejack.” Twilight walks over to her stand and I follow along.

The least amazing part is that she’s selling apples. I really should have seen that coming. Not like she was going to be selling berries or something.

“I see ya’ finally got out of the hospital.” I really have no clue how to respond to this, other than maybe nodding my head. “Must’ve been tough bein’ all cooped up in that room all day.”

“That’s an understatement.” She chuckles a bit to herself.

“So, Twilight, ya’ got that ‘surprise’ ready?” She winks at the word surprise, which makes me a bit anxious.

“He’s right here, Applejack...” Twilight says, giving Applejack a stern look.

“Sorry, sorry, ya’ know how I am with secrets.” Something tells me I should ask, but it’s better if I just stay quiet.

“Anyway, how are the sales coming?”

“Pretty slow day, but everypony that comes by is always lookin’ to buy apples, so it ain’t all that bad.” Everypony? What’s wrong with just saying everybody?

“Of course, everypony knows that apples from Sweet Apple Acres are the best in Equestria.” I still don’t understand why they use these names. “Hey, Spike, wanna try one?”

I could go for something that isn’t hospital food. And who knows? I might actually like these apples.

“Sure.” A gold coin levitates over to the stand, and a single red apple soon floats over to my hand. I open my hand under it, and it lands softly into it. I still don’t get magic...

Well, here goes nothing.

I take a bite out of the apple. It’s the single most delicious apple I’ve ever eaten. Then again, I don’t really know if I’ve ever eaten an apple before. At least I know I like apples. “This is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten, what’s your secret?”

“Thank ya kindly, but I can’t tell ya the Apple family secret.” Another wink, I guess that makes perfect sense. If she just tells the secret to everyone, it won’t be a secret for long. Still, it would be pretty cool if I could make these for myself. I doubt she would tell me though.

“Alright, Applejack, we should get going. See you later then?”

“Definitely.”

With that conversation over, maybe I’ll get to see where it is that I’m going to be living. We head back on the path, as Twilight occasionally said hi to some passing ponies.

“So, what do you think?” Twilight says to me while we walk past another small house.

“It looks nice. I can see why ponies would want to live here.” I smile a bit.

“That’s good and all, but I was talking about Applejack.”

“Oh.” I chuckle a little, then look back. “She seems nice enough. Why?”

“Just wondering. Ponyville can be a bit overwhelming at first, so I want to make sure you’re feeling comfortable.” That doesn’t seem like it could be true, this whole village looks like the exact opposite of overwhelming.

“Overwhelming? What do you mean?”

“Well, when I first came here, it was a bit hard to get used to. I wasn’t really the social type at the time, so maybe it was just me.” I never would have guessed. The way people were greeting her, it seems like she’s pretty popular. “It was after I met the others when I started to open up to other ponies.”

Heh, maybe that’ll happen to me.

“So, how much longer till we get... there?” I can’t describe where there is.

“Oh, don’t worry, it’s only a little bit further.” Good, because my legs are getting tired.

Not a lot of talking happens for the rest of the walk, with Twilight occasionally looking at me with a weird grin on her face. It probably has something to do with whatever that surprise is. I really hope I like the surprise.

After a few minutes of silence passes, Twilight stops in front of some sort of tree with windows in it. All the other buildings pretty much paled in comparison to it. The front side of it is decorated with lanterns and such, and there are two balconies, both fitted with telescopes. There is a red door in front of me and Twilight, with a drawing of a candle on it.

“Well, this is it.” She takes a step back, obviously wanting me to go in first. A nod of my head, and then I do exactly what it is that she seems to want. I move over to the door, open it, and see a completely dark room.

Is this the surprise? A really dark room?

Better judgement tells me she wants me to go inside.

I walk inside, expecting nothing to happen. Two steps in, and I hear the pitter-patter of footsteps. I slow down my pace, before the lights burst on.

In front of me, Pinkie Pie is standing there with a party cap on her head and a party blower in her mouth.

Well, at least I know what the surprise is. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity, and Fluttershy appear from behind a table.

“SURPRISE!” All of them yell, even though Pinkie’s only a foot away from me.

“Were you surprised? Were ya? Were ya?!” Pinkie says, jumping up and down.

I recover a bit from the shock. “Ahm... Err... Wha...?”

“Hee hee hee, I knew you would be!” She grabs me and pulls me to her side, while turning to the others. “Come on, everypony, let’s PARTY!”

~

Well, that was a lot more fun than I thought it would be.

There were various activities that Pinkie planned, most of them I didn’t really know about until now. Pin the tail on the pony was a good one, surprisingly. The food was pretty great too. Applejack had made apple pies, apple fritter, pretty much anything with apples in it. I remember Rainbow Dash challenging Pinkie to a dance battle, and yet somehow Fluttershy won. She wasn’t even challenged and she won. I have no idea how she did that, but I don’t want to know.

Twilight, Pinkie, and I were the only ones left cleaning, everyone else had left because of different reasons.

There really isn’t anything wrong with that, the party had been pretty fun. The whole time though, I felt out of place. I mean, everyone was nice enough, but I kept having this nagging feeling like I shouldn’t be here. Maybe it’s because I still don’t know a lot about them beyond their names or that I’m a completely different species than them. Each of them, on the other hand, almost feel like they’ve known each other for their entire lives

“Aw, Spike, you didn’t need to help us clean, you’re the guest of honor!” Twilight says, as she finished cleaning up the last table.

“It’s no problem, Twilight. Besides, you did save my life and all...” I scratch the back of my head.

“That’s what friends do for each, Spike. It was no trouble at all.” Wait, what?

“Yo-you consider me a friend?” Why do I feel so touched by that?

“Why wouldn’t we?” This time, it was Pinkie Pie asking the question. “Everypony or um... dragon, should be given a chance!” That has to be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. I’m really starting to feel glad that they found me instead of anyone else... errr …. more glad than I already was.

I don’t know why, but I just broke down right there. A few teardrops roll down my face, which Pinkie and Twilight see. Both of them have the same reaction. Within seconds, I’m being squished between two ponies. Literally squished, as in I can’t breathe.

“Guys... can’t... breathe!” They hear the sounds of my attempts to breathe, and loosen their vice-like grip. I take some deep breaths before talking again.

“Ooops, sorry.” Pinkie is quick to say. “Sometimes I get a liiiittle too carried away with my hugs.”

“It’s alright. Besides, I really needed that.”

I hear a yawn, and it’s coming from Twilight. A few moments later, I yawn as well. I think those things are contagious. Maybe it’s about time that we go to bed, but only after we finish up cleaning the huge mess left from the party.

~

Twilight waves to Pinkie as she leaves, leaving only the two of us.

“Well, that was fun, wasn’t it?” She looks at me as she closes the door with her magic.

“Definitely, a bit expected, but pretty good nonetheless.” I sit myself down on the couch.

“That’s all that matters. Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about a few things since we are alone.” She comes over to the couch and sits a few feet away from me.

… How can she sit like that?

“Erm, ok, what did you need to talk about?”

“Just a few ground rules about being here, that’s all.” That doesn’t sound so bad. I know I’d want to lay down some rules if somebody was going to stay at my house.

“That doesn’t sound too bad, shoot.” As soon as she takes a deep breath, I begin to get a little worried. I know it can’t be that bad, though, they’ve been really nice enough so far.

“Don’t interrupt me while I’m studying, last time that happened, I nearly blew up the library. Secondly, the pantry and everything else is free to use, just don’t break anything. You’re free to read any books I have here, unless it’s been reserved for somepony. Also, I make breakfast at the crack of dawn every day, so make sure to get up bright and early. Everything else is pretty much common sense. Pick up after yourself, knock before you come into the bathroom, and that’s about it.”

All of that sounds more than reasonable, even the part about getting up early to eat breakfast.

“Oh, and don’t go into the basement without me. There are a lot of really fragile pieces of equipment down there.”

“Wouldn’t think of it.” It seems weird that a library would have sensitive equipment in a basement, but I’m not going to question it. This is her house, after all. Part of me wonders what it is that could be down in the basement. Sensitive equipment could be almost anything, really, as long as it’s fragile and expensive.

At least, that’s what I think when I hear that phrase.

Out of nowhere, a book starts to hover toward me. I can’t say that I had noticed it, but Twilight’s horn is glowing. That’s usually a telltale sign that she was using her magic. “And I was hoping to learn more about dragons while you’re here.” That’s a fair enough thing, it doesn’t seem like there are many to get information from. “So I want you to write down everything over the course of the next few weeks.” Her eyes are wide as she says that, and I gulp.

“After all, I won’t know what’s important until later.”

That only leaves the obvious question of where I’m actually sleeping. The couch isn’t so bad, but something tells me that I shouldn’t assume she’s going to make me sleep here.

“So, Twilight, where am I sleeping? The couch?”

“Of course not, you’re the guest.” Twilight motions for me to follow. “There’s a guest bed, that’s where you’re going to be staying.” I stand up and start following her, it would definitely be good to get some sleep.

Another yawn, and she is soon starting to move for her bed. “Goodnight, Spike.”

Right before I get into bed, I remember that I need to write something down.

Journal Entry #1

So, Twilight said I should start writing down stuff in this journal, which I agreed to. The only problem is I don’t exactly know what to write, besides the fact I’m the only dragon in a town full of prancing techni-color ponies.

Maybe that’s a bad way of describing them.

I guess I should just start out by writing what happened to me.

From what Twilight said, I was knocked out in some forest called ‘The Everfree’, after I was attacked by an Ursa Major. Whatever that is, I probably want to avoid it in the future.

Her and her other friends found me while they were coming back from some expedition. Which reminds me, I have to ask her what she was doing that day. They lugged me all the way back to Ponyville Hospital, where I stayed for about a week before coming here to the library. Now I just lay here on this really small bed that Twilight gave me.

I hope they make bigger beds than this.

I don’t know what to make of this whole situation. I mean, how can I react to it? I wake up in some hospital in a town filled with pastel ponies that know magic and can fly. Is that normal here? I have no clue, nor do I want to find out.

Writing in this thing is a really good stress reliever. Maybe it isn’t all that bad.

I wish I could rename myself, but I’m afraid of asking Twilight. I don’t know how she’ll react, since she seemed like she likes the name. But Spike feels… weird. Like it was meant to foreshadow something beyond the forces of reality into another dimension that I cannot possibly perceive with an inch of my brain.

Or maybe I’m going crazy.

Ok, I should sleep before I end up having to consult Twilight for counseling.

Signed, Spike (I really have to get used to this name)

Author's Note:

Ah, finally, this chapter is out.

A question to you guys.

Are we making Spike too much of a douche? And if we are, then tell us and we will tune it down a bit.

Seriously, I don't want to portray Spike as giant walking paranoid asshole.

Other than that, hope you guys enjoy the chapter.