• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 25,152 Views, 1,162 Comments

The Princess and I - Flanagan



I'm just a normal guy living my life... but the past year or so hasn't been to kind to me... then my life changed the day she (literally) ran into me.

  • ...
73
 1,162
 25,152

12: The Scrapbook

It was nearly ten at night by the time Luna and I finally got back to the flat. Both of us were thoroughly exhausted after, but at least our outing had taken a lot off of Luna’s mind. And truthfully it took quite a lot off of my mind as well, this week was easily the most awkward and stressful week I’ve had in a very long time and seeing Luna just being normal was a huge confidence boost. She was finally enjoying herself; sure I had to do a bit of explaining while we were out, but with everything considered she and I were getting into a reasonable schedule of things. We didn’t say much to one another when we walked into my apartment. In truth we didn’t really have the energy to do so. We only had enough to make our ways to our respective sleeping spots and waited for the next day to come.

I woke up, early again I might add, made some breakfast and made my way into my room to wake Luna up for the day. I was slightly surprised to see a beautiful woman in my bed except for a pony; I was also slightly surprised that I was surprised about that I found that surprising. She must’ve been getting so used to walking around in human form that she was doing it subconsciously now. I never saw her sleeping in human form, it blew my mind slightly, seeing her in human form sleeping reminded me of her, but only for a few seconds. I was compelled to just stand there for a while, not really sure why, but I decided to grab my computer instead and let time do its thing. I needed to take care of a few things anyway.

Nearly an hour later I heard a strange noise come from my bedroom. Luna must’ve woken up to find that she hadn’t transformed back into her original pony form. A few minutes later Luna finally poked her head out of my room, wearing one of my old Cardinals shirts.

“Luna…” I said, “Don’t you have shirts YOUR size left?”

“No…” she replied, stepping out of the doorway, “And I no longer have pants…”

I turned my attention to Luna yet again and sure enough, all I as was leg for miles, just like the first time. But this time I remembered that I recently got done with something that I really wanted her to see.

“Come on Luna.” I said patting the couch “I’ve got something I need to show you.”

Luna came over and sat next to me, slightly confused about what I wanted her to see, but I knew that she would appreciate what I had spent the past hour on. Setting my computer on the ground I grabbed a large binder. Placing it on my lap I turned my attention back to Luna, her head was tilted to the side like a puppy.

“What is that?” she asked.

“It’s a binder.” I answered, “Remember when I grabbed the camera yesterday?”

Luna nodded, allowing me to continue my monologue.

“Well I decided that we should have some memories of your time here with me.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I thought that you know, since I never really have royalty stay with me so I decided to make a few of the memories permanent.”

“I see.” Luna said “Is that the product of your endeavor?” she asked pointing to the binder on my lap.

“That’s a fact.” I said patting the binder, “We’ve already got thirty pics in this baby.”

“Thirty?” Luna said surprised, “in only one day?”

“Well there were a lot of moments while we were running around.” I said opening the book to its first page, “Like this one.”

Luna looked at the photo in question; it was just a simple picture of her with her hand out the window and the wind blowing in her hair. “Weren’t you driving at this time?”

“Sure was.” I said smiling, “I’ve been known to do a foolish thing every once and awhile.”

“I see…” Luna said, “Where was this one again?”

“That one and the fifteen or so after that were at the Arch.” I answered, “Remember?”

“Ah yes…” Luna said turning slightly red, “I remember now.”

“Never knew that someone like YOU would be scared of heights…” I said smiling, “I thought you could fly and stuff like that.”

“Not in this form.” Luna said, “And the swaying at the top was unnerving nonetheless.”

“I guess you got me on that one…” I said, “But when you latched onto me like a leech in front of those boy scouts it was absolutely priceless.”

“I didn’t find it funny at all…” Luna said turning red again, “Especially when they started to say you and I were kissing in a tree.”

“Oh yeah…” I said looking away, “forgot about THAT detail… but overall it was fun, right?”

“Oh absolutely.” Luna said growing a smile, “You were quite the tour guide.”

“I do my best,” I said, “Hey here’s one with both of us in it.” I pointed to a photo on the next page. It was Luna and myself standing in front of Bush Stadium.

“I remember this well.” Luna said giggling, “You went on for nearly half an hour about the statue we stood in front of for the nice gentleman who took the photo.”

“That statue was Stan Musial…” I said, “And he was Baseball’s perfect knight… and by the time you go back home you will know that.”

“I think after your speech I know enough about ‘St. Louis’s favorite son’ for three life times.”

“Then spread the word in Equestria,” I said sarcastically, “Stan the man should be known in as many universes as possible.”

“I’ll try to remember that.” Luna said giggling, flipping the page over. “Where were we in this one?” she asked pointing at yet another photo, “And why do you seem to be taken back?”

“That’s the veteran’s memorial…” I said taking a deep breath, “It’s pretty important to me… helps me-“

I was halted by five knocks on my door in rapid succession. I left my seat and made my way to the door. It was a workday, Friday actually, and it was ten in the morning no one should’ve been in the flat either then myself and Luna. I opened the door and what I saw caught me a little off guard.

“Hey there Aedan.” Larry said, I could smell the liquor on his breath and the sadness in his voice, “You busy?”

“I was in the middle of something…” I said looking back to Luna.

“Oh… Ok… I understand…” he said turning away.

“But,” I said quickly grabbing his shoulder, “I could always make time. Do you want to come in?”

“Thanks…” he said walking past me into the apartment. He just sat down where I was sitting, completely ignoring the fact the Luna was there wearing nothing except for one of my old shirts. There was nearly five minutes of silence before Luna finally broke the tension.

“Um…” she began, “Hello Larry.”

“Hey…” he replied not even bothering to look at her, “What’s your name again?”

“Luna… Larry what’s wrong?”

“Mr. King is kicking me out of my apartment…”

“Why the hell is he doing that?” I asked shocked, “I’m going to talk to the son of a-“

“It won’t do any good…” Larry said still staring into nothing, “He’s not budging for anyone.”

“Why is he even kicking you out?” I asked, “He needs a good reason to do something like that.”

“I’m late on my payments…”

“You’re always late on your payments.” I said, “Your job doesn’t give you the check until a week after he collects.”

“That’s the problem…” Larry said finally looking at me, “I just got fired…”

“Oh no…” Luna said placing a hand on his shoulder, “That’s awful.”

“I’ve been working there for since I was sixteen…” Larry said tearing up, “And just after I pick up manager they decide to let me go… It’s… It’s…” Larry clinched his fists in anger “It’s NOT FAIR! I GAVE YEARS OF MY LIFE TO THEM! And THIS is how they REPAY ME!”

Larry slammed his fist into the sofa, causing the whole thing to shake. I’ve seen Larry drunk, I’ve seen him upset, but this, this was on a new level and with the two combined, I really didn’t know how to handle the situation at hand. But Luna did, much to my surprise. With no warning she wrapped Larry up in her arms, allowing him to cry into her shoulder.

“I know what it’s like…” she said stroking his back, “Being angry… feeling betrayed by the ones you thought were on your side…” she pushed him away so he would look her square in the eyes as she continued, “But you can’t let your emotions get the best of you, I did that once, and I paid the ultimate price…” she pulled him in resting his forehead on hers, “You can’t let it control you…”

I for one was shocked, I had no idea the Luna could be so, so understanding, so compassionate. Larry and Luna were frozen there for what seemed like forever, it was probably only a few minutes but after what Luna did time seemed to stand still. After the long silence Larry pulled Luna into him once again, letting the tears fall.

“T-thank you Luna…” he stuttered, “Thank you so much.”

“I’ve been there before Larry.” Luna said, “But with the ones who care about you, you won’t stray from the light.”

“I could talk to my boss…” I said to get their attention, “she holds my word in a high regard, I’m sure he’ll hire you if I recommend you.”

“Really?” he said bouncing to his feet, “You’d do that… for me?”

“Well…” I said looking off into space, “What are friends for?”

I was suddenly enveloped by Larry’s arms, for a guy who didn’t really look that strong he sure as hell could squeeze hard. “Thank you Aedan!” he exclaimed “Thank you!”

“Uh… no problem…” I said awkwardly casting my gaze over to Luna, who was smiling in approval.

“But I still don’t have a place to stay for the weekend…” Larry said looking up to me.

“Mary’s still your girlfriend right?”

“Yeah…”

“Then stay with her…”

“Oh yeah… I guess I forgot about that.”

“No problem Larry…” I said looking back to him, “and one more thing…”

“Yes Aedan?”

“Let me go…” I said pointing to his arms, “This is getting really weird.”

“Oh…” Larry said finally releasing me, “Sorry about that… I guess I got carried away.”

“It happens to the best of us.” I said over Luna’s giggles, “I’ll help you get your stuff out of your apartment if need be.”

“I already did that.” Larry said walking past me, “but now I need to sleep the liquor in me before I drive to Mary’s flat.” He stopped at the door and turned around, “Thank you again Aedan.” He said, “It really means a lot.”

“I do what I can.” I said rubbing the back of my head, “And more if I have to.”

Larry then disappeared down the stairway, leaving Luna and myself to our own devices yet again. I turned to go back to the couch, but I was stopped by Luna’s embrace.

“That was very kind of you.” She said digging her head into my chest “And you’re starting to open up to others.”

“He needed help.” I said brushing it off, “And I’m going to help him, it’s that simple.”

“I don’t think so.” Luna said looking up to me, “You’re changing.” She leaned into me closer stopping only when her lips were inches from mine, “And you’re changing for the better…” she pushed away from me and walked back to the couch, “Are we going to proceed with looking at the scrapbook or not?”

I seriously thought right there for a second she was going to kiss me, and for some reason that thought got my heart racing. That and the fact that rule 76 didn’t start blaring in my head until after she made her way back to the couch. God, what’s happening to me? I thought, again Luna’s sleep talk popped into my mind, ‘the perfect mate’, but for who?

“Aedan?” Luna asked, throwing me off my train of thought. “The Scrapbook?”

“Oh, yeah… sure thing Luna.” I said sitting next to her on the couch, “Let’s start back up where we finished.”

The two of us sat there for hours, recanting every story behind every picture taken. We still didn’t know how she got here or how to get her back, but thanks to Gordon we had a lead. A lead that we would get to work on in the next few days, but that lead would have to wait, because the two of us were just enjoying one another’s company at the moment, and in reality, I knew that Luna and I couldn’t really ask for much more than that.

Author's Note:

So... I couldn't really think of how to write their night on the town... :fluttershysad: so I decided to work with an aftermath kinda thing.
I'm only afraid of heights when I can't fly. -Luna :rainbowhuh: :trollestia:
The multiverse shall know the name of STAN THE MAN! :flutterrage:
Woah... Larry you're bringing the writer's serious nature back... total buzzkill... :pinkiesad2:
Luna with amazing life advice to the rescue!
Wait... did they almost? ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... yup :eeyup: they almost did :rainbowkiss:
As usual... is quality still good? what's wrong with it? finally... how can it be better?