• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 1,771 Views, 112 Comments

The Tailor and her Recurring Customer: Part 1 - Dancewithknives



An ordinary interaction with an extraordinary customer.

  • ...
4
 112
 1,771

The End of the Night

This hall, like the other nameless halls of Canterlot Castle, was always in perfect presentation and form for whoever found themselves walking down it. The lamps and chandeliers were clean and well lit, allowing the candlelight to illuminate the area in a warm yellow light. The tiled floor and the walls were cleaned, washed, and completely spotless.

Even at this hour, when the majority of the world rested and unwound for the night, the castle was in perfect condition.

But, for as composed and mellow as the castle was, six of its inhabitants were not the same.

In this seemingly boring hall, six members of the elite guard, wearing the specialized and enchanted armor for the recently returned Princess, were standing at their posts outside of her chambers. As was normal for a routine day, the arrangement was made of members of each species, two pegasi, two earth ponies, and two unicorns. The pegasi, being the more recognizable of the force, stood before the doorway to their charge’s chambers and looked ahead while pairs of one unicorn and one earth pony stood at opposite ends of the hall.

It looked to be that it was going to be a boring end to a boring day. As soon as the night shift came to take their positions, they would be off to bed, much like their Mistress had done a few minutes earlier.

But, out of the blue, for no reason or warning at all, the unicorns’ horns became lit up with magic. Without any explanation, the horned equines sprung to life and ran towards the door, throwing their accomplices off guard and waking them up.

Seeing the rush towards the door, the bat looking pegasi coiled their legs up and kicked the door they were standing in front of in.

The six ponies, with varying types of sharp melee and ranged weapons at the ready, stormed into the room, and visually checked the area.

Everything was fine. The personal chambers of Princess Luna looked absolutely untouched. The windows were closed, the door to the balcony was locked, the ledgers, books, and papers on her desk were all untouched, and her bed was empty.

The Princess, though, was missing.

The six looked around, and saw steam lazily wafting out of the top crack of the door to the Princess’ bathroom.

The six guards took position by the door and tried the handle.

Locked.

While the other five took positions on both sides of the door that they silently agreed to breach, one of the unicorns got in position in front of the door and readied his weapon.

In his possession was a state of the art defense weapon system. The contraption was like a type of crossbow, except it had no bow to it or string. Instead, in the centeral housing was two magnets that ran the length of the weapon.

He shouldered the device, and readied his hoof on the trigger. With his other hoof, he worked an action that moved a steel bolt payload from the tubular magazine inside of the lower half of the weapon and into firing position.

The shot, being held together by a plastic casing, exited the magazine and floated between two tracks of magnets.

With a call of “Breaching!” the unicorn pulled on the trigger action, and the magnets that were installed down the length of the weapon’s barrel closed in on each other, no longer suspending their payload between the two, but aiming propelling it down its length and out of the weapon.

The steel bolt exited the unicorn’s weapon and pulverized the lock on the bathroom door, allowing it to be kicked in.

The six breached the room, and like before, found nothing out of the ordinary and no Princess, either.

Through heavy steam they saw no signs of conflict. No toppled over toiletries, no scratches or rips in the red painted walls, on the tiles, or on the shower curtain, nothing.

One of the six guards reached for the wall and hit a switch that opened a vent to rid them of the fog-like steam, and could not find the reason why the alert had been raised.

One of the earth ponies walked forward and pulled back the curtain to the running shower.

It was at that moment that one of the guards remembered something.

The walls in Luna’s bathroom were wallpapered, not painted.

And then the earth pony pulled the curtain back…

Author's Note:

Sweet mother Teresa on the hood of a Mercedes-Benz! What the fuck was that?

Well, you'll just have to click here to find out...
link
Abusing the nonstory update rule FTW.