• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 1,768 Views, 112 Comments

The Tailor and her Recurring Customer: Part 1 - Dancewithknives



An ordinary interaction with an extraordinary customer.

  • ...
4
 112
 1,768

Presentation

Present…
Rarity and her guest stood and looked at the dressed mannequin like two tourists at a museum. The time it took her to pull the parts of the suit and stitch them together had broken her own personal record.

Rarity, as she always did, began to describe what made this suit stand out from another of this style besides her pride and passion. Like she would do to impress her buyers, she would briefly skim over the fine fabrics, where they had been imported from, the style of needlework, the thread, and all the little things that made this so spectacular.
“And,” she added. “As per your instructions, I have refrained from adding any tags or labels.”

“Magnificent as always,” he said as he began to drag the wheeled dummy out of the room and towards the changing cells. Strangely, that little compliment was the closest he would ever get to show any emotion when in the store. Usually, a customer would only sink to that grumpy of an attitude when it was time to pay.

Rarity vacated her sewing room and made her way to the front of the Carousel Boutique, taking her place by the register. Rain was still falling outside and tapping at the window with every salvo. It wasn’t going to be long now. In a few minutes, he would be gone. She looked at the staircase that lead upstairs to the bedrooms on the second floor.
“…Just hold on…”



Past…
Even though it was not exactly what she personally would have chosen for the colors and fabric, what she had made in the overtime hours in the back room of the Carousel Boutique was a masterpiece.

Her client stood beside her and equally took in the effect of the new attire that would later be his, but for the time that Rarity could still regard this creation as her own, she felt it only right to let some of her pride be expressed.

Like an artist standing before a wealthy buyer, she began to describe the love and care taken into crafting what the mannequin was allowed the pleasure to wear. From the seamless stitching to reinforced joints, she went into specific detail of where all of her supplies originated from and became her masterpiece. The talk, to most clients, was useless. Only a sparse few ponies would actually have cared if they had their purchase described to them; but still, it increased the implied value of the whole by its parts and sold the image that she knew everything that she was doing; which she did.

“Magnificent.” The new customer responded. He took a step forward and peeled a side of the jacket open and eyed the interior and the vest, namely the cavities that he has specifically requested.

“Is everything satisfactory, may I ask?”

“Indeed.”

Progress, the one thing that Rarity had been working on for the majority of the time she had been working with her customer, and in those few words, she believed she had made some. There was still some fright in the corners of her mind regarding this individual’s possessions, but who was she to judge? She had learned to be less judgmental of others during the time she became acquainted with Ponyville’s residential zebra. There was probably a logical reason as to why he had those, and if he did not want to share, then it was none of her business.

But, partially it was. Unlike a chain clothing store, Rarity was not in the business to make affordable evening wear and other clothing, but to instead create relationships with her customers.

To sell value,

To breathe prestige.

To satisfy her customers .

To be recommendable by friends.

To be dependable for those who came in need.

And to make those who wore her products be talked about in green-eyed and awe-filled whispers.

She had provided this “Mr. Esproc” with the physical value, now it was time to perform the emotional part.

“Pardon my asking, sir. But, if I may, what is your profession? That is, if it is alright.”

The newly made networking opportunity let the coat hang and answered coolly, “I am a professional.”

Not the answer she wanted, but Rarity rolled with the conversation, “Ah! As am I. I specialize in making beauty. What is yours?”

Instead of answering immediately, or in his censored and screened way, the stallion stopped. Not because of the common intrusion of his professional life, but instead because his glowing horn flipped the collar of the jacket up and was staring at a piece of white that stood out from the black.

“You have inserted tags…”

Rarity, who questioned what he was talking about at first, focused her attention to where he was looking and then cocked her head sideways as she glanced at him, “Yes… I have. It lists the washing instructions and other notes for professional cleaners to use.”

The white unicorn did not see the confusion of the situation. Clothing tags were so commonplace that it should not have even been noticed. All it was used for was to trace that the article was made by her, what detergents to use when cleaning it, what it was made of, and how to clean it correctly.

“That will not be necessary.” he stated.

Like a time long ago when Rarity watched as a cup of water fell onto a water-based painting she made for school, she was frozen and powerless to stop as her masterpiece was violently searched and, one by one, small white slips of cloth were ripped straight from their seams.

When it was all said and done, eight white leaves from the tree that was her suit had fallen. Left behind for not being what their buyer wanted.