• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 5,470 Views, 191 Comments

A Dragon's Destiny - Riddleja



Join Spike the Dragon as he and his seven mares set off on an epic adventure and defeat an evil Dragon Lord.

  • ...
9
 191
 5,470

The Second Trial

After ascending the stairway, the gang found themselves back in the open sunlight.

“That’s much better”, said Fluttershy, feeling relieved. “I prefer being out in the sunlight than in the scary dark.”

“Now how are we gonna get to our next destination?” asked Rarity. “I don’t think it would be best to walk all the way. My hooves would get all cramped.”

Suddenly, there was a rush of wind and a random piece of paper flew past them. As they watched the paper dance in the wind, they spotted a boat on a nearby river.

“There’s your answer”, replied Rainbow Dash.

They boarded the boat and Spike did the rowing.

“Now this is what I call peaceful”, he said. “Just me sailing down the river in a boat full of beautiful mares. I must be the luckiest dragon in the world.” Spike was only joking, but he heard some giggles from the mares. At last, they came to their next destination.

”Stop the boat!” called Twilight. “We’re here!”

Spike stopped the boat on the shore and the gang hopped off. No sooner had they done that when the boat vanished in a bright light.

“Aw man!” complained Rainbow Dash. “That was our ride!”

“I do hope we find another means of transportation for the next spot”, said Rarity. “It is not like a lady to be sweating.”

Up ahead was another cave. This one had no statues by it this time. And on the door was what seemed to be a board with markings on it.

“Anypony know what we have to do here?” asked Applejack.

“I bet it’s a riddle asking who the most awesome Pegasus in the world in”, said Rainbow Dash. “That would be me!”

”That’s not what it is, silly filly”, chuckled Pinkie Pie. “It’s another puzzle!”

Before anyone could say anything else, Pinkie Pie darted up to the puzzle and began rearranging the tiles.

“Pinkie stop!” called Twilight. “It might be a trap!”

“It’s not a trap, Twilight”, said Pinkie Pie. “It’s a fireball. Tada!” Pinkie Pie turned away from the puzzle, showing it to now look like a fireball.

Suddenly, the fireball glowed bright orange and sank into the slab. The slab then moved away, opening the cave.

”Pinkie Pie, you’re a genius!” cried Spike. And he ran up to give the pink mare a hug.

“Aww, no I’m not, silly Spikey,” giggled Pinkie Pie, nuzzling Spike’s cheek. “I’m an Earth Pony.”

As they entered the cave, Pinkie Pie stepped on another loose stone. A part of the wall slid out and inside was a small treasure chest.

“Ooooh”, said Pinkie Pie in bewilderment. “I wonder what’s inside.”

She opened the chest and it filled the cave in a bright light. When the light faded, hovering above the chest was a rather strange looking bow. Its handle looks like it was carved from ice and the string looked more like a strand of snow. In the chest was also a scroll. Twilight took it out and read it.

You have obtained the Ice Bow. This powerful weapon can turn even its strongest target into a block of Ice by firing the ice arrows at it.

“We got a weapon!” Pinkie Pie jumped in excitement. “Let’s see if it works!”

”Pinkie Pie, it’s not a toy”, scolded Twilight. “It is a serious weapon that should only be used in emergencies.”

“Aww”, grumbled Pinkie Pie. “You’re no fun.”

“Twilight’s got a point, Sugar cube”, put in Applejack. “You can’t just go taken things and playing around. It could be dangerous and somepony could get hurt or worse.”

“You have a point”, said Pinkie Pie. “What fun is it if somepony gets hurt and doesn’t have any fun at all?”

The friends continued their way through the cave. The hooded Stallion was about to go after them when suddenly he sensed something. He turned to the skies and saw Darkblaze and his rookies.

“They’ve already gotten to the cave”, said Darkblaze. “Come on!”

The Hooded Stallion stomped his front hooves and a force field of green fire blocked the cave entrance.

I’ve bought you some time, Spike. The Stallion thought. But I’m not sure how long it will last.


Just like the last cave, this one made Spike and his friends feel like they were going down. Suddenly they came to an opened door.

“Well that was easy”, said Twilight. “Come on, let’s…”

Suddenly the door slammed shut.

“Now that,” said Trixie feeling rather annoyed, “is what I call False Advertisement.”

Just then another scroll appeared before them. Spike picked it up and read it.

Let’s test your memory, shall we?

Find where the fireball is hiding and you shall pass.

Just as Spike finished the scroll, a table rose in front of the door. On the table were 3 identical cups. One lifted up, revealing a small fireball underneath.

“So it’s just a memory game?” asked Rainbow Dash. “Easy as pie.”

The cup covered the ball again. It then began swapping with the other cups slowly, then getting faster until they stopped.

“Alright”, said Twilight. “We have to guess what cup the ball is hiding under.”

”I say it’s the middle one”, said Applejack.

“No way”, objected Rainbow Dash. “It’s the one on the right.”

”I hate to have these arguments,” put in Rarity, “but it’s the one on the left.”

As the other mares started arguing, Pinkie jumped up.

”I know the answer!” she cried. “The fireball is under… that small rock!” and she pointed to a nearby small rock about the size of a golf ball. Suddenly the three cups began to rise.

“Oh great”, moaned Trixie. “We got it wrong.” But her attitude changed when they could see under the cups.

”Look!” said Spike. “The cups are empty. The ball wasn’t under either of them.”

And then the small rock lifted up, revealing the little fireball. Spike and the other ponies were amazed.

”How did you know where the fireball was?” asked Twilight in bewilderment.

“Just a hunch”, said Pinkie Pie. The door then opened again, allowing them through.


Back outside, Darkblaze and his lackeys found the cave blocked by the force field.

“The cave’s got some force field around it, boss”, said Tubbo.

“No really?” said Darkblaze sarcastically. “I had no idea.”

“How are we supposed to get in?” asked a third dragon. Darkblaze suddenly saw the Hooded Stallion.

“You again?” he growled. “Why don’t you quit butting into our plans? We have orders from Count Lucius to make mincemeat out of that dragon!”

”Your plans are nothing more than running errands for the spirit of a ruthless tyrant so that he may live again and harm innocent ponies”, snapped the Stallion. “I shall not let that happen. And I will not allow you to harm Spike or his friends either!”

“Why do you care about that pipsqueak?” asked Darkblaze. “You his dad or something?”

This caused the rest of the dragons to laugh. The stallion narrowed his eyes.

“And what if I am his father?” he asked threateningly. “You got a problem with that?”

“Makes no difference to me”, said Darkblaze. Now drop the force field and get out of the way!”

“If you want to get to Spike,” said the stallion, “you have to get through me.”

“Suit yourself”, said Darkblaze. “You won last time, but now you’re going down.”

Darkblaze gathered half the other dragons beside him. The rest were busy trying to take down the force field.

You’d better hurry, Spike. The stallion thought. The force field might not last long.


As Spike and his friends passed through the door, they saw that their path was suspended over a lake of fire. Fluttershy gulped.

“One wrong move,” she whimpered, “and we’ll be fried!”

The only one not worried was Pinkie Pie, who was roasting marshmallows over the flames.

“On the plus side,” she said, “they’re great for making s’mores.” With that, she put the marshmallows on some graham crackers with chocolate and ate them in one bite. “Sorry”, she said with her mouth full. “Did you want some?”

They carefully started to go across the path, trying not to slip into the fires below. Upon getting to the other side, they came to a row of stones. As they got closer, the stone in front of them sank into the fire. About a few seconds later, it came back up while the stone in front of it sank. The pattern extended to the whole path.

“Fluttershy and I could fly over easily”, said Rainbow Dash. “Too bad the rest of you can’t.”

Spike observed the pattern of the sinking stones, steadied himself, and charged forward. As soon as he landed on the first stone, he jumped to the next one as it came up. Soon he was on the other side.

“See?” he called to the mares who were worried about him. “You just have to take it easy and time your jumps.”

So the rest of the gang did what Spike did. The only one left was Fluttershy.

“Come on, Fluttershy!” called Applejack.

“I-I can’t!” cried Fluttershy. “I’m too s-scared!”

Spike jumped back to her.

“Would it be alright if I carried you?” he asked.

“But won’t you hurt yourself?” asked Fluttershy.

“Don’t worry about me”, replied Spike. “You’re my friend.”

So carefully, Spike started to jump back across the stones with Fluttershy in his arms. The others watched with worry. At last, Spike made it to their side.

“It’s okay”, he said to Fluttershy, who had covered her eyes. “We’re on the other side now.”

Fluttershy opened her eyes and right away felt relief.

“Oh thank you, Spike!” she cried, grabbing Spike into a tight hug and kissing his forehead.

“You wanna save the cuddling for after we get out of here?” asked Twilight with a hint of jealousy in her voice.

”Oops”, said Fluttershy sheepishly as she let Spike down. “Sorry about that.”

”Never mind”, said Spike. “Let’s keep going.”

Through this door they saw a long row of cold water that went from one end to the other. On both sides of the water was the fire.

“I say we swim across”, said Rainbow Dash. She dunked her hoof in the water but immediately brought it back out shivering. “Too cold!”

“Well how are we supposed to get across now?” asked Applejack. Suddenly, Spike had an idea.

“Give me the ice bow”, he said to Twilight. So she did. Spike loaded his arrow, aimed at the water, and fired! No sooner had the arrow hit its target when the water became a large slab of ice.

“There we go”, Spike said triumphantly. “Now we can just walk across.”

So the gang slowly made their way across the ice so they wouldn’t slip off. At last, they made it to the door.

“Too easy”, said Rainbow Dash. And they continued on.


Back outside, Darkblaze looked as his fellow cronies lay unconscious on the ground before the hooded stallion.

“He’s… too strong”, mumbled one of the dragons before going unconscious as well.

“Hopefully by now you’ll have learned not to pick fights you can’t win, Darkblaze”, said the stallion.

Darkblaze just growled.

”You may have beaten them,” he said, “but you can’t beat me!” And he charged at the stallion with a flame on his fist. The stallion effortlessly dodged the assaults and landed a swift punch to Darkblaze, knocking him out as well.

“That’ll teach him”, he said. “Now I’d better go see how Spike is holding up.”

The stallion looked at the dragons one last time before dropping the force field and going into the cave.


As Spike and the others entered the next room, they could see a large square suspended by lava blocks on the side in the center of the room over water. The door on the other side had a key hole.

“How do we get across to that?” asked Applejack.

Suddenly a large flame erupted on the square. From the flame came a fiery creature. He had red skin, a large flame whip, a fiery turban on his head, and green eyes. The only thing about him that wasn’t intimidating was the turban and his Buddha Belly.

“I am the Fire Guardian”, he said in a rather deep voice. “If you wish to obtain what you seek, you must first defeat me.”

”Very well”, said Spike, pulling his sword out of the scabbard. With that, Spike backed up and ran towards the gap between him and the Guardian.

“Go Flaming pole-vault!” he shouted. Suddenly green flames shot out of Spike’s sword as he struck the ground with it, catapulting him and the blade all the way over to the Fire Guardian’s square. “I just keep learning more moves every second, don’t I?”

“The rules to this battle are simple”, explained the Fire Guardian. “Whoever knocks their opponent into the water first wins. And you cannot have any help from your friends.”

“That’s no fair!” objected Twilight.

Spike steadied himself and prepared to strike. The Fire Guardian did the same and cracked his whip, causing a small fire to shoot out from it.

“Okay that was a bit intimidating,” admitted Spike, “but I’m not scared!”

And with that, he charged at the Guardian at full force. Their weapons countered each other and knocked Spike back.

“Spike!” cried the mares.

“I’m fine!” called Spike. “Don’t worry about me.”

Spike charged back towards the Guardian and summoned a green flame to his blade. Then he jumped into the air and shot the flames towards his opponent! But the guardian just laughed.

“Shooting flames at me will only make me stronger!” he laughed. With that, his flame whip’s flames became larger as he cracked it again. Spike launched another attack, but the whip just threw him towards the end of the square. Spike grabbed the edge just in time to avoid falling into the water. The mares watched in suspense.

“I can’t look”, said Applejack, covering her face with her hat.

Poor Spike was in a terrible pickle. One hand was keeping him from plunging into the waters below, and the other held his sword.

”Oh man”, said Spike. “What now? If I try pulling myself up, I could lose the sword. But if I throw the sword into the air and try to grab it, I could loose my balance and slip off. This is what I call a lose-lose situation.” And he appeared to slip into a nap.


Don’t give up, Spike.

“Huh? Who said that?”

Spike looked around. He appeared to have drifted into his own subconscious. Then he saw the hooded stallion from earlier.

”The secret to passing this trail lies within the sword you bare”, the stallion said.

“Who are you?” demanded Spike. “Are you one of Lucius’s spies here to stop us?”

”No”, answered the stallion. “I am opposed to that tyrant and am here to aid you in destroying him.”

”Then tell me what to do!” begged Spike. I need help, please!”

“Use the sword’s hidden powers so you may fuse with the elemental weapons”, explained the stallion.”

“Elemental weapons? What are those?”

Before Spike could get an answer, the stallion had left.


When Spike woke up, he found himself back in the same predicament.

”Hang in there, Spike!” cried Twilight. “You can do it! We believe in you!”

Spike looked back and saw the mares cheering him on. Then he looked down at his sword.

”If my instincts are correct,” he said to himself, “then I know what I have to do.”

With that, Spike managed to struggle his way back onto the square.

“So you managed to hang on”, said the Fire Guardian. “Impressive. But you stand no chance of winning.”

”That’s what you think”, muttered Spike.

With that, he raised his sword into the air as it glowed a bright blue.

“Ice Bow!” called Spike, “Join with me to become one!”

Suddenly the Ice Bow rose from the mares and turned into a sphere of blue energy which circled around Spike until he was completely covered and a bright light filled the room.

When the light vanished, Spike had gained a suit of armor shaped from ice, he had grown to the height of a teenaged dragon, and had gained a pair of wings on his back. The mares could not believe how much Spike had grown. Even the Fire Guardian was surprised.

“How did you do that?” he demanded. “I said your friends couldn’t help you!”

”That’s true”, answered Spike. “But they didn’t help me.”

The Fire Guardian spun his whip in a large circle as a flame began to build up. Then he cracked it towards Spike! Spike just raised his arm and a wall of snow appeared, blocking the attack. Then Spike ignited the sword with a blue flame and began to spin it faster and faster.

”Aw yeah!” cheered Rainbow Dash. “Here comes the ring of fire!”

“Don’t make me laugh”, sniffed the Fire Guardian. “Performing such a move will only make me stronger.” But Spike kept spinning his blade.

”Go Ring of Cold Fire!” He cried. And he hurled the blade just as he did when performing Ring of Fire. The blue flame circled around them. The Fire Guardian wasn’t laughing anymore.

”What’s going on?” he shivered. “W-w-why am I shivering?”

”Because,” explained Spike, “this is the Ring of Cold Fire. Unlike regular fire, this makes its surroundings colder. But that’s not all.”

Spike was right. The cold fire had spread to the lava blocks. Slowly they began to turn to ice.

“Unbelievable!” cried Rarity. “I’ve never seen fire freeze anything before.”

Then Spike jumped into the air, grabbed the blade, and tossed it like a boomerang towards the ice blocks, causing them to shatter. Without the blocks, the Fire Guardian had nothing to keep him from falling, and he plunged into the waters below while Spike used his Ice Wings to keep him from falling. There was a tremendous splash and everyone looked down. The Fire Guardian was splashing around in the water and his fire turban had been extinguished from the waters.

“Very well”, he said, kneeling towards Spike. “You may proceed.”

Suddenly the guardian burst into flames and ejected a key shaped from lava to Spike. Then with a rumble, a huge stone path rose from the waters. This allowed the mares to cross safely just as Spike powered down, causing the Ice Bow to return to its original form.

”Spike, that was so awesome!” cried Rainbow Dash. “How’d you learn that trick?”

”Some pony came in my head and told me to use my sword to fuse with the elemental weapons”, explained Spike. “I guess that the Ice Bow was one of them.”

”Oh my Spikey-Wikey!” cooed Rarity. “You’re such a magnificent little warrior.” And she started kissing him.

“Hey no fair!” objected Pinkie Pie. “I wanna kiss him too!” With that, she jumped on Spike and started kissing him too.

“Hey save some for the rest of us!” said Rainbow Dash. Soon all 7 mares were kissing Spike.

”Uh girls?” said Spike. “Not that I’m complaining, but we have a mission to do.”

This caused them to stop their kissing and feel a bit awkward.

“Sorry about that”, said Twilight, trying to calm herself down. “We got a little carried away in the moment again.”

Spike was starting to get more suspicious of their attitude, but brushed it off and unlocked the door. Inside was another pedestal with a sack. Just like before, a beam of light shot the back and took it back into the medallion as another triangle turned red.

You have obtained Count Lucius’s Left Leg

“Two down,” commented Rarity, “four to go.”

Spike looked at the map and another red checkmark appeared, marking a trail. Suddenly a flight of stairs ascended before them, just like last time. They ran up the stairs and found themselves high above next to a spiraling waterfall. There appeared to be no way down.

“Now what?” asked Trixie. Before anyone could say anything, Pinkie grabbed the Ice Bow and shot it at the waterfall. Within seconds, the waterfall turned to thick ice.

“Who’s up for ice sledding?” asked Pinkie Pie in excitement. She didn’t need a response, for the whole gang jumped onto the frozen waterfall and slid down.


Back at the cave opening, Darkblaze had woken up. He held his head in pain and tried to recount what had happened. Suddenly he looked down at the map and saw it glow.

“No!” he roared, picking the map up and examining it. “They beat us again!”

Angrily, Darkblaze stood up and forcefully woke his comrades up.

“Wake up!” he snapped. “That punk Spike beat us yet again!”

”5 more minutes”, yawned Tubbo, trying to lie back down. His nap was short lived once Darkblaze kicked him upside his head.

“Come on stupid!” he snapped. “We have to stop them before Count Lucius finds out!”

Too late for that!

The dragons gasped as Count Lucius’s voice echoed around them.

“Count Lucius!” cried Tubbo. W-w-what a surprise!

I’d like a word with you idiots. The voice said firmly. Suddenly, a huge wall of flames engulfed the dragons. Within minutes, the flames died, and the dragons were gone. And in their places was the scorched ground where they stood.