• Published 24th Jun 2013
  • 1,237 Views, 22 Comments

A Time Before - Blue Turtle



Long before the peaceful reign of Celestia after Luna's banishment, The two sisters lived in harmony. Cycling through day and night with each other, inseparable to say the least.

  • ...
1
 22
 1,237

Night Ch.11

Celestia woke up long before Luna. A nightmare. Every time it was the same. Everything was dark,except a small candle had been tipped over. It laid on the ground, barely flickering. Monochrome ponies walked over it, not even paying attention to their only light. Celestia saw herself, walking forward, she put the candle back up, And it glowed a warm light. the monochrome left the ponies faces, all except Luna. She was whisked off in the darkness by a terrible claw. But no pony stopped her. Celestia saw herself erupt into flames, her skin burning off into a dark red rock. Orange cracks seemed to be lava, or maybe liquid fire. the pony's mane was short and red, with glowing orange streaks. the pony's eyes were gone, only a black substance dripping down from it's eyes. the creature that only moments ago was Celestia, was now tall, though not quite as tall as her parents, it still stood over the frightened ponies. The fire that made up it's wings were the only thing to illuminate the surroundings, because the candle had melted,it's tail turned to flame and the color seemed to disappear once more. The creature ran into the inky blackness, time slowed until it came back, with Luna. Luna looked to what was left of her sister with horror. But by that time Celestia always woke up. Celestia decided she couldn't go back to sleep, because when she did, she would have horrible images of death and fire, or the creature that brought those in her wake. Celestia sat, breathing heavily. Celestia waited for what seemed like hours. Celestia woke up Luna.

"Let's go." Celestia said as she walked towards the balcony.

"Huh- oh ok..." Luna said groggily. Celestia waited for Luna to trudge out of their room.

"C'mon... The plants can't wait forever." Celestia said as her eyes showed how tired she was.

Luna lowered the Moon, lowering herself to the ground as Celestia flew up and raised the Sun. Surprisingly, her shoulder did not hurt that much.

"That's weird." Luna said as Celestia flew down, normally her sister would rub her shoulder or groan when she was doing anything with the Sun.

Celestia nodded and flew down, she winced only a bit as only a quick burst of numbing pain slightly shot up her shoulder. Celestia put Luna on her back, a golden aura around Luna as she floated over to her sister. Celestia trotted down the stairs and into the kitchen.
"The usual please." Luna said as she got off her sister, the chef nodded with a smile. he walked back into the kitchen area and began to make their usual bowl of oats. Celestia seemed to droop in the hot muggy morning air. It didn't help that the rain last night had dampened the air. Celestia took a deep breath and opened the window, hoping to get some fresh air. Luna tapped her hooves on the ground, tiny taps drifting into Celestia's ears. Celestia smiled and walked back to sit with her sister. Levier burst through the door.

"There you two are.' Levier said, the green kirin curling her tail.

Levier grabbed Celestia and Luna by the arn, her green magic pulled them away. Levier seemed annoyed, or upset? Either way her scrunched up face and the slight red tint in her eyes made Luna shut up when she was going to complain. Luna felt the magic pull disappear, Celestia stared at Levier. Celestia lowered her head and motioned for Luan to do the same, Celestia making an obvious grunting sound to get Luna's attention. Levier turned to glare at Celestia, Celestia winced and lowered herself more. Luan did the same.

"You two are gonna be in a lot of trouble if you screw this up got it?" Levier said, the sting of the tone lashing at Celestia and Luna. Levier opened the door. Hundreds of thousands of ponies stood on a large balcony, Each looking up towards the marble outcrop. Celestia gulped as her knees weakened.

"What are we doing!?!" Celestia said, her voice squeaking out. Levier snarled at the young mare slightly. Luna cowered next to her sister. Levier pushed the two up and walked back. Celestia' jaw dropped as the sheer number of ponies looked her way. Luna hid under her older sister's wing. Many ponies looked at them and gasped. A pony yelled.

"They're ok!"

The crowd erupted into cheers.

"Does this have to do with yesterday...?" Celestia turned to Levier, who stood at the foot of the entrance.

"The whole kingdom had a heart attack because you two almost got yourselves killed." Levier said, her voice still wrapped in anger. Levier stamped away. Celestia stepped closer to the railing and cleared her throat.

"Ehem, Thank you all for being worried, but thankfully me and Luna are ok." Celestia's voice traveled to the audience

After a while, the crowd cleared and the young sisters could leave. Celestia sighed with relief after Levier ignored the pair all day. It was late in the afternoon when Celestia finally confronted Levier. Celestia stood firm and tall, She had grown to be about the same size as any pony she'd met. Luna had gone to play with some friends, Neula volunteered to take Luna to the library again. Celestia remember how she watched Nebula and Luna disappear in the crowd, though the dark pair stood out slightly. Celestia shook her head, focussing on Levier as she sat around a table with several other ponies. Celestia stood in the doorway. Waiting calmly, though her face featured something most ponies had not seen in the young mare. lEvier glanced to Celestia only to continue her conversation. Celestia stepped closer. The ponies looked at her, then stood up, only to clear out of the room.

"What is it Celestia?" Levier said with a sigh.

"What was that all about? Earlier? You completely changed." Celestia said, the previous face sunken by grimace.

"I was just worried ok?" Levier said, biting her lip.

"No. There's something else and you aren't telling me." Celestia said, the face returning.

"It's just.. I can't... The thing is..." Levier tried to say something as she turned out of her seat.

"Levier, we've been together for so long now, Please tell me." Celestia said, her voice less stable as before. Celestia stepped closer, her face full of grimace.

"I can't. You wouldn't understand." Levier said as she shook her head. Celestia stepped closer.

"Please Celestia it is for your own good." Levier said, one hoof stepping back.

"My own good?" Celestia said as her eyes narrowed, the face returning.

"My own good? Are you serious?" Celestia said with a slight tone of annoyance. Celestia turned her head, like she was trying to get a better look at Levier.

"You wouldn't understand. Please Celestia I don't want you to-" Levier cut herself off.

"Do what?!" Celestia said, her angry voice scaring away a pony that had come back to see Levier. Celestia's face contorted in rage.

"Celestia, please. Calm down and take a breath." Levier said, her voice trembling. Levier gulped as the smaller mare stepped closer to her, Celestia's wing flared up.

"I can't!" Celestia angrily said as she stamped her hoof

"Tell me now!" Celestia said, her mouth twisted back in a snarl.

"Alright. But promise you will accept that It is your own fault that you cannot handle my words." Levier whispered, looking down. Celestia stood firmly, unabated by Levier's words.

"Celestia... to be honest, I'm not really sure if I shoulder be telling you this, Whenever Galaxia gets back she'll have my neck.. but, I guess you need to know. Alright, so you know how Nebulis turned into.. That thing?" Levier said with a gulp of air. Celestia slowly nodded her head, The fear in her eyes darkened Levier's mood, but also her decision to tell Celestia.

"But you don't know why your parents taught you to come to them if you ever felt like you were hot right?" Levier said, her voice trembling as it drifted from her mouth. Celestia lowered her head, only to shake her head. Though Levier saw that Celestia's legs were trembling, and it was like the mare was having trouble keeping herself standing.

"You... Have a certain... form that.." Levier tried to say, but her voice trailed off.

"So do I become like dad.." Celestia shuttered, her weak voice full of questions.

"Not physically, though mentally I'm not sure... Thankfully you've never had to worry about transforming..." Levier said with a gulp. Celestia nodded and turned away, walking slowly she disappeared into the late afternoon light. A pony peaked it's head out of the doorway, looking towards Levier.

"Eh, Miss... what was that all about?" The pony said, cleary questioning what they were talking about. Thankfully no pony could hear the conversation.

"It's nothing..." Levier said with a sigh, staring at her own hoof that was still trembling.

Celestia walked slowly, feeling her shoulder grow numb. Thoughts sped through her mind, Celestia unable to catch one of them as the sped by. Celestia heard the static noise again, the one that had always come to her when she couldn't think. One stood out against the loud static. It curled and bent but it still remained the same. Celestia felt the weight of the word.o her, seemingly pressing her to the ground. Though Celestia stood. The Sun overhead, a few pegasi as well, but like the other thoughts it slipped out of reach. But one still remained. Celestia tried again, to think of something else. Perhaps the city itself? Canterlot was a great place and all but- Celestia lost the thought, the loud static stinging Celestia's thoughts away. It sounds like a thousand drums pounded away in her head, only for Celestia to crumble down. It felt like she had shattered like a mirror. Celestia stood up once more, Barely walking (If you could call it that) She wanted to get away from everypony, to be by herself. She wanted to think without the static tugging her thoughts away. Celestia arrived at the willow tree, She fell down in it's shade. Everything was quiet there. No pony was there, she could feel the static drift away as she closed her eyes. Celestia sat by the water, watching the little fish swim in the shallow water. The deeper in with the koi fish. One was white, with golden streaks in it's fins, Another was dark blue, almost black. It had indigo streaks on it. Celestia watched the two circle each other, occasionally drifting away to gobble up seeds that had fallen into the pond. The pond was clear and calm. Celestia dipped a hoof into the pond, little fish darting away. The clear blue water reflecting back the young mare. Celestia watched some small fish come near her, darting around her hoof. One nibbled the hairs as they slowly drifted through the water. Celestia felt a smile tugging at her face. Celestia closed her eyes and felt a calm breeze sweep more seeds into the pond. Some fish left her for the seeds while some stayed to nibble at the crumbs of food that had somehow made their way to Celestia's hoof.
Easy meal I guess Celestia thought finally.
Celestia watched as the green brown and grey fish swam across the pond. The Koi fish seemed large compared to the little fish. One koi fish, the white one, slowly swam towards Celestia. It looked up to her, only to see Celestia's horn glow it's sunny yellow color. Celestia's aura felt for a seed, only to grab one and slowly push it into the water, right in front of the white koi. The koi swallowed the seed, only for the fish to turn away. Celestia opened her eyes and smiled. Her horn dimmed and she felt the remnants of static leave. Celestia took her hoof out of the water and rested her head. But her momentary peace was destroyed.

"Princess!" A pony barked. Celestia shot up, scaring the fish away. A grumpy old pony with a quill stamped towards the mare.

"You have a meeting to attend to. Some ponies wat to put you in the newspaper." The pony said.

"Eh.. ok?" Celestia said. She walked behind the stallion to an open room. A large group of ponies crowded the room, a raised platform for Celestia to stand on in front of the group. Celestia was shooed onto the platform, taking a deep breath.

"Hi?" Celestia said with a small wave. her face blushed nervously.

"Princess Celestia, How were you not hurt in the fall?"

"Princess Celestia, How is it that a bloody rock was found where you fell yet our sources say that you just walked away like it was nothing?"

"Princess Celestia, Is it true that you jumped off to save Princess Luna?"

"Princess Celestia, Some sources say that you were in the Grass Field Park only hours after your fall, Why did you seek medical attention?"

"Princess Celestia, Why did Luna not seek medical attention either?"

"EHEM" Celestia said as she raised herself upwards.

"Ok. One questions at a time everypony." Celestia said with a sigh.

"Alright first of all, I have no clue why I wasn't hurt and also I didn't feel any rock. I only saw the bloody rock after I fell. Second of all, I jumped after Luna because I love her and who wouldn't jump after your little sister, Third of all, The nurse did check over both of us and said we were fine, so we went to play with out friends ok? Nothings is wrong with us as far as we know." Celestia said, her breaths tired. The ponies wrote furiously, only to look back up to her.

"Princess Celestia, what is your opinion on Nebulis's transformation and also how your mother handled the situation?"
Celestia froze up art the question.

"To be honest.. I was afraid. I was afraid of what would have happened if no pony could stop him... But what I really should say is it. It's not his fault that whatever happened has happened, just that it did. There's nothing we can say or do about it now that can change it other than we should be thankfully Galaxia was able to stop it." Celestia said, refusing to cry. The ponies wrote once more, yet slower than before. They made no room for error in their writing. More questions poured in, Celestia could feel the static coming back. It whirred inside her head and she had trouble speaking, or even thinking.

"I- I didn't mean.. Its j-just that.." Celestia stumbled over her words.

"Princess Celestia, tell us, What do you plan to do now that you are taught by StarSwirl the Bearded?"

"Just... learn... I mean that is what he came here for." Celestia pushed out. It had been hours of questions without nay breaks, ponies could leave and come as they pleased but Celestia had to stay. Celestia shook her head.

"When does this end?" Celestia leaned over to the pony she followed in.

"Five more minutes." The stallion said. Celestia perked up a bit, only to turn to the crowd once more. Some ponies were in the process of writing.

"Alright... So this session is almost over. Anymore questions?' Celestia said, forcing the words out of her crowded mind.

"Princess Celestia, Why is it that you seem to be in pain?"

Celestia was woke up. Ponies in front of her looked at her, only now realizing how tired Celestia looked. The young mare had wobbly knees, and her feathers seemed to droop. Her eyes were tired, Celestia occasionally almost closing them. It didn't help that the static was pounding away, making it difficult if not impossible to think, let alone talk. Celestia had yawned several times during the session, though no one could blame her. She had no warning of the upcoming event so she had no time to prepare. To be honest it was the pony's faults for pushing a news conference. Some ponies coughed or looked down uncomfortably, rubbing their necks as their eyes darted back and forth. Celestia walked out of the room, her knees shaking heavily. She stopped next to the pond again, the fish gathering to greet her. Celestia took out a small piece of old oats. She crumbled the oats and the yellow aura pushed out a small bit of the crumbs. The aura dropped them into the water and the little fish began to nibble. Celestia laid down again, the little fish swimming towards the oat crumbs. Celestia watched as she crossed her hoof over the other, lifting her head up. The static hurt her ears and her head, like a bad heachache. Except a million times worse. Celestia felt the drumming inside her head once more. Holding her head she felt close to tears. Celestia drove her head in the water. The fish darting away. Celestia pink mane now wet dripped water down the mare's face. The white koi swam closer. It stared up at her, it's golden eyes peering into her.
"I'm sorry I don't have more seeds for you." Celestia said as she shook her head. Celestia held her head waiting for the static to go away. The drums lessened but the static stung her thoughts again. Some guards were barking at each other, Most likely something about armor. Celestia heard their yelling, and began to tune it out, though the static seemed to grow louder as she concentrated. The guards looked towards from their post, a pathway that led from one of the many rooms into the another group of rooms. The guards looked at her, wide-eyes in mortified confusion. Celestia tilted her head, Though Celestia felt normal, What the guards saw was a different story. A large open wound on her back and it seemed like a chunk of her shoulder was missing. Her eyes were pitch black, and what seemed like black tears had poured down her face, staining her coat. The guards blinked only to see she was fine.

"Miss... are you feeling ok?" One guard's voice quavered.

"Eh.. yeah... I feel fine." Celestia said with confusion, she turned back towards the pond, feeding the little fish.

The guards dismissed their hallucination, though it was unsettling. Celestia felt the static slowly drift away as the guards left. One thought, the one that had stuck out from the static.

Why?