• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 2,725 Views, 125 Comments

Unfamiliar Skin - darf



I've arrived. I can only faintly hear the hive. Mother's voice is gone from my ears. But I know I have a purpose—I just can't remember what it is.

  • ...
14
 125
 2,725

Day 6

Log, Entry 9:

I am not sure what to make of Lyra.

At first glance, she seemed as much a normal pony as anyone else in this town. I must remember that everyone is normal in comparison to me, though at worst my odd walking and occasional unchecked stares draw glances from the occasional crowd.

But Lyra draws attention more than I do. I accompanied her on a walk to the market to pick up dinner. I believe she expects me to do this more regularly, and commented on how I’d been ‘keeping to myself’ for the past while. I’m not sure if I can manage to stomach the things these ponies call food. In any case, all the way to town, I felt more stares than I ever have by myself. When I am by myself, even in the most conspicuous of fashions, I feel as though I am mostly invisible. But for some reason, when I’m with her, ponies stare. I was worried at first that I had given myself away—that my disguise had finally slipped in the most literal of fashions, exposing a plating or black carapace—but I believe now, upon reflection, they were staring at her. Or both of us, together.

She is odd.

I’m not sure if I hate her. Unlike the other ponies, whose proximity alone is enough to drive my insides into jitters, Lyra does not upset me to such a degree. While I am sure my ultimate objective here must be as it is for all of us—to bring down the tyranny of this lesser race from their false throne—I am not sure if I would spare her.

She smiles a great deal. It is unsettling at first, but seems to grow on one after a while, like an egg-sac ripe with newborns waiting to burst to freedom.

I have assessed my rations. I estimate that, if I sustain myself on the sparsest of nourishment, I can survive another two weeks at most before my energy is depleted. Even now, the lack of proper sustenance seems to be affecting the integrity of my disguise. My vision is fuzzy at the best of times, and shadows frequently move by themselves. Once or twice, a pony has opened their mouth to speak, and a slender tentacle—like one of ours—has emerged. Or rather, that is what I’ve seen before the world returned to normal. I must stay steadfast.

The other option is to feed properly. I am not sure this will be possible, but it is key for investigation.

I will continue to examine Lyra. I hope to hear another transmission soon.