• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 2,712 Views, 125 Comments

Unfamiliar Skin - darf



I've arrived. I can only faintly hear the hive. Mother's voice is gone from my ears. But I know I have a purpose—I just can't remember what it is.

  • ...
14
 125
 2,712

Day 8

Log, Entry 11:

I have made a mistake.

I was interacting with Lyra today, trying to deduce more of her purpose, and why I might have been sent to her in the first place. The near-silence is deafening, as always, but I do my best to block it out. The hisses I can hear help a bit.

When I was speaking with her, my vocalizations changed abruptly for a reason I still cannot fathom. The voice I fought so hard to adopt when I awoke in this body was gone. In its place, a completely different one emerged. I felt my whole body threaten to collapse when it did so. I was certain it must be over then.

But Lyra barely seemed to notice. She grinned at me, as though a changing voice was something my host has always possessed. She smiled in the way she always does, and continued what she was saying. Something about the weather.

Is it just that she didn't notice? I can’t believe that could be the case. Something so obvious must have been heard. Did she think I was playing a game? Is she really so unobservant? No. Maybe she will forget, or has forgotten.

Unless.

What if she did notice, and has always noticed? What if she has known all along? What if she is a sleeper agent, sent by the Princess to monitor me? But then, surely, she would have drawn attention to it? It was unnatural, otherwise.

I feel as though this reflection has broken me. Is this a cruel game, as I have so often dreamed and dreaded? Was the message I received merely a taunt to provoke me into my realization—to know that I am a walking drone in an unobservant hell? Am I being tested? Punished?

I do not understand. I wish to go home.

There is silence. I do not know what I will do on waking up tomorrow.

Maybe I will have forgotten.