• Published 26th May 2013
  • 5,827 Views, 38 Comments

The Path of Absolution - Punishment - Morningstar1337



Trust is a fragile thing, but not as fragile as life. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have written things, horrible things. And now they must pay the price. They, and all Equestria

  • ...
19
 38
 5,827

PreviousChapters Next
xlvi - Cerberus, the Gatekeeper

In the Everfree Forest, DIamond Dust, Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Legion were near the gates of Tartarus. Diamond Dust was still levitating the frozen Princess Celestia.

Diamond Dust secretly waned her power in hope of melting the ice without Legion noticing. She wondered if Silver Spoon was still alive after their last encounter.

A large set of demonic black gates towered over the forest. Its doors were coated in an ebony aura of evil.

Apple Bloom noticed a three headed beast napping. She whispered, “Who’s that?”

Legion said, “That be Cerberus, the gatekeeper of Tartarus, and the anchor for the fifth seal.”

Diamond Dust said, “Let me guess, we need to avoid waking him?”

The windigo adviser nodded. “If Cerberus awakens, it will make breaking the fifth seal more difficult.”

Diamond Dust had an idea. The group sneaked around Cerberus and made it to the gates. Now Diamond Dust had to wait for the perfect moment.


Elsewhere in the forest, Shining Armor, Spike, Princess Cadence, Lyra, Bon-Bon, Cloudchaser, Flitter, Star Song, and Thunderlane were tracking down Diamond Dust. They passed through some frozen trees and creepy foliage.

Spike and Shining Armor were worried about Celestia, the fillies, and those that ventured into their minds, especially Twilight Sparkle.

Spike said, “Do you think they’re gonna be alright?”

Shining Armor answered, “Of course, you know that Twili and her friends can handle the rescue.” The captain was more worried about what the Crusaders would do before that happens, though.

Meanwhile, Cloudchaser wondered about Gale Force back at Canterlot’s hospital and how he must be feeling. Thunderlane approached her and said, “Hey”

Cloudchaser said, “Hey.”

Thunderlane said, “What else do you know about this Over Cast?”

Cloudchaser said, “Not much, I've only known her for a short while before...” Cloudchaser remember Gale telling her and the other pegasi on the team that she was killed. She knew that Thunderlane knew about that shortly after he joined.

Thunderlane said, “You think Gale might go off the deep end soon?”

Cloudchaser was startled. “What? Why?”

Thunderlane said, “Just a hunch, but he she seemed revenge driven back at the wedding.”

Cloudchaser knew that Gale Force seemed bent on stopping Over Cast’s assailant back then. To the point of abandoning his team during the invasion. She felt that Gale’s emotions would overtake him and get him killed. “We should focus on the task at hand. We’ll worry about Gale later.”

Thunderlane nodded.

The group saw a pillar of white and azure light shoot up at the sky and vanish. They hear some howling in the distance.

Shining Armor said, “That’s gotta be them!” The search party galloped to the source of the sound and light.


At the gates of Tartarus, Legion noticed Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle were talking among themselves. He thought, ‘They have gotten further than I expected.’ He said, “My liege, you must be the one to open the gates.”

Diamond Dust put down their prisoner and approached the gates. A blue light emerged from her horn and the doors start to open.

Apple Bloom meanwhile approached Cerberus, still asleep. She curiously looked at one of its heads. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were nearby.

Apple Bloom poked the dog with her hoof. One of the heads yawned and rose up.

The three fillies saw it’s eyes opened slightly and screamed. Diamond Dust heard the noise. ‘Perfect,’ she thought. She feigned a look of shock and raised her horn. Her horn of ice shot a bright light into the sky, a light bright enough to be seen from Canterlot.

Cerberus was awakened by the light. it saw Diamond Dust and Legion near the gates.

Legion saw the three-headed gatekeeper was awake. He was furious.

Diamond Dust shouted, “You idiots! You woke up Cerberus!” She felt a little grateful for the distraction.

Legion sarcastically said, “Open the door, your majesty.”

Dozens of windigos emerged from the sky at Legion’s command. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo drew their weapons as they prepare to fend off the beast.


A few minutes later. Shining Armor and his search party were near the gates. They saw The Crusaders fighting Cerberus, and Diamond Dust trying to open the gates, Spike saw Princess Celestia, nearby, still frozen.

Shining Armor looked to Cloudchaser, and Flitter. “Get the fillies away from Cerberus.” He looked to Lyra. “Can you calm the beast?”

Lyra nodded and readied her instrument.

Shining Armor said, “Good.” He then erected several shields around the members of the group and galloped to free Celestia from the ice.

Cadence and Spike knew what to do and followed Shining to Celestia. Lyra played her lyre with Bon-Bon fending off the nearby windigos. Star Song and Thunderlane took to the skies to intercept the enemies. And Flitter and Cloudchaser readied themselves to get the fillies away from the gates.

Legion saw Shining Armor’s party and said, “How? Why?”

Diamond Dust was almost done with her spell. She said, “We kidnapped the Princess. You didn’t expect a search party?”

“I didn’t expect them to survive long enough to get this far!” Legion was furious. All pretense of tranquility he had was eradicated and replaced with rage.

Shining Armor, Spike, and Cadence were a few feet away from Celestia. Spike melted the ice with his breath.

By that point Diamond Tiara had finished the spell. Tartarus was now open.

The last of the ice that imprisoned Celestia melted off. The sun princess wondered what happened as she looked at Spike, Shining Armor, and Cadence.

“You’re alright!” Spike said.

Celestia stood up and saw Cerberus and the gates of Tartarus. She realized where she was, and knew the gates had been opened.

“Oh no.” She gravely said.

PreviousChapters Next