• Published 26th May 2013
  • 5,827 Views, 38 Comments

The Path of Absolution - Punishment - Morningstar1337



Trust is a fragile thing, but not as fragile as life. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have written things, horrible things. And now they must pay the price. They, and all Equestria

  • ...
19
 38
 5,827

PreviousChapters Next
xliv - Castor and the Sibling's Truth

Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Apple Bloom, Silver Spoon, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, Sweetie Belle, Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, and Fluttershy found themselves in a dense azure forest. The sky above was vermillion with the setting sun.

“Has anypony wondered why the sky changes color like that?” Rainbow Dash said.

“That’s easy, silly,” Pinkie Pie said. “Light reflects from the sun and colors the sky based on the color of most the planet.”

Rainbow Dash looked at Pinkie in confusion. The group head some crying.

“Anypony hear that?” Applejack said.

“Yeah,” Silver Spoon said.

“It’s coming from over there,” Apple Bloom said. She saw a cyan-green unicorn crying in the distance.

The group went to the unicorn and Applejack said, “Are you alright?”

The mysterious unicorn said, “I’m fine. It’s just, my sister Castor is missing.” She cried some more.

Sweetie Belle whispered, “Is this another task?”

Rarity whispered, “If it is, she’s being awfully subtle about it.”

Fluttershy said, “It’ll be alright.” to the crying unicorn.

“We’ll find your sister in no time!” Rainbow Dash boasted.

“Well, task or no task, I wouldn't want my friends wandering around this icky forest alone. I’ll help find you sister.”

“Think you,” The unicorn stopped crying. “I’m Pollux.”

Twilight said, “We’ll stay here and help her to the gates.”

Scootaloo said, “Maybe we could get our cutie marks in search and rescues.”

“That’s a great idea,” Sweetie Belle said.

“The Crusaders shouted “Cutie Mark Crusaders Rescuers, YAY!” and ran into the forest.

Applejack felt a little more guilty. She knew that she had to tell them what happened to them soon. She, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash went into the forest to make sure the fillies are alright.


Shining Armor, Princess Cadence, Spike, Lyra, Bon-Bon, Flitter, Cloudchaser, Thunderlane, Star Song, and several of the royal guard were at the maw of the Everfree Forest. They saw the telltale snow and hail clouds that the windigoes inhabit.

“So they went back to the forest huh?” Spike said.

“‘Fraid so,” Shining Armor said.

“Why would they want to be there in the first place?” Star Song asked.

“I don’t know,” Shining Armor said. “But we have to stop them.”

The search party went to find Diamond Dust, and save Celestia and the brainwashed Crusaders.


Deeper in the forest, Diamond Dust, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Legion went through the forest.

“ We are almost at the Gates of Tartarus,” Legion said. “The fifth seal lies near.”

Diamond Dust looked at Apple Bloom. She looked back to the times where she picked on her and any friends she has. She knew she wanted to feel superior to somepony then, but now she was further from that feeling then ever. She found a new target for her ire. She blamed herself for accepting Legion’s offer.

She looked back at Celestia’s icy prison, she saw it melting. She wondered what to do. The group walked forward to the gates.


Inside the Azure Forest, Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders were looking for the missing sister.

The group looked for the missing mare. After hours of fruitless searching, Applejack felt that she couldn’t put off telling the truth anymore.

Eventually, Applejack said, “Apple Bloom, we have to talk.”

The other five ponies stopped. Rarity and Rainbow Dash knew what was going to happen.

“Applejack?” Apple Bloom said.”What’s going on?”

Applejack looked to the fillies. “You might wanna sit down for this.”

Rarity whispered, ”They’re not gonna like this.”

Applejack said, “Before we came to that time loop, we saw you in Canterlot.”

The Crusaders were confused.

Sweetie Belle said, “But how could we be in Canterlot?”

“It a long story,” Applejack said. She explained about the day the windigos and changelings invaded Canterlot, and the Crusaders’ involvement with the former. Rarity and Rainbow Dash help with the talk.

After the explanation, the Cutie Mark Crusaders were visibly shocked.

“You mean we helped the windigos invade Canterlot...” Apple Bloom said.

“...and try to kill you in cold blood...” Sweetie Belle said.

“..And I had wings of ice?” Scootaloo said.

Applejack sighed. “Eeyup.”

Apple Bloom said, “But why? How was that possib--” She and the other fillies remembered the day they met the ghostly figure. The day before they were in the time loop. “How could I’ve been so stupid?!”

Applejack said, “Sugarcube, it wasn’t your fault.”

“But it was.” Apple Bloom was on the verge of tears.

“We were the ones that accepted the offer,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Offer?” Rarity said. “What offer?”

Scootaloo said, “Some spirit told us he could help fix that mess.”

Rainbow Dash said, “What spirit?”

“We don't know,” Apple Bloom said. “We couldn't see it.” Tears rolled down her eyes as she looked at Applejack. “I’m sorry, this whole mess was our fault.”

The mares tried to comfort their sisters. Eventually they calmed down.

“Well,” Rarity said, “If we’ve any chance of stopping this we have to escape this forest first.”

“You’re lost in the forest?”

A yellow unicorn had appeared. Her coat and mane color were identical to Pollux’s, only reversed. She looked like she was stuck in the forest for days.

“You’re Castor, right?” Sweetie Belle said.

Castor nodded.

“Your sister’s worried for you,” Apple Bloom said.

“You know where Pollux is?” Castor said.

“We’ll get you out of this,” Applejack said. They went back to the gate.


A few hours later, Applejack, Apple Bloom, Rainbow Dash, Scootaloo, Rarity, Sweetie Belle, and Castor were back at the gate.

Pollux saw your sister and went to hug her “You’re okay.” She wept again.

“Thanks to these little ponies,” Castor said.

“Told ya we’d find her in no time,” Rainbow Dash said.

Applejack said “Um, we’re not out of the woods yet.”

Pinkie Pie giggled at the joke.

Castor saw the gate. “So will you help me repay these travellers with the way out?”

Pollux said, “It’s the least I could do.”

The twin unicorns used their horns. Vermillion particles appeared and adhered to the gates, forming the sign for Gemini (♊).

“Thanks again for find my sister,” Pollux said.

“You’re welcome,” Apple Bloom said. She felt a little uncertain.

The Crusaders wondered why they would help the windigos try to ravage Canterlot, and if it had anything to do with Diamond Tiara.

The ponies entered the gates, ready to take on the next challenge.

PreviousChapters Next