• Published 26th May 2013
  • 5,829 Views, 38 Comments

The Path of Absolution - Punishment - Morningstar1337



Trust is a fragile thing, but not as fragile as life. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have written things, horrible things. And now they must pay the price. They, and all Equestria

  • ...
19
 38
 5,829

PreviousChapters Next
xxiii - Pollux Reversal

The Cutie Mark Crusaders were trotting towards Sugarcube Corner.

‘Well,” Sweetie Belle said, “Is this a time loop or not?”

“We still don’t know.” Scootaloo said. “The cherry and asparagus guys weren’t there yesterday.”

“Guess we’ll find out if this is a loop or not.” Apple Bloom looked around.

They sneaked around town, careful not to attract the attention of the angry mob that they suspected would be in front of the bakery.

Sure enough, they saw the mob in front of the bakery. But they didn’t see Pinkie Pie answer the door.

The mob leader knocked on the door several times, but nopony answered the door.

“That’s... odd,” Sweetie Belle whispered.

“Can we go around?” Scootaloo asked.

“Good idea.” Apple Bloom said. “We’ll have to be careful though.”

The Crusaders kept a distance from the front door and the mob as they went around the area. They were soon behind the bakery. Midway around the area, they saw the mob leave to search elsewhere. They breathed a sigh of relief.

“Well, that was a little close,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Well, if this is a time loop,” Apple Bloom said, “it’s a very weird one.”

“Wonder why Pinkie didn’t answer the door,” Scootaloo said.

They saw a window on the bakery.

“Why don’t we find out?” Sweetie Belle said.

The Crusaders peeked through the window. They saw Pinkie Pie in a dress.

“Is she preparing for a party?” Apple Bloom said.

“Look!” Scootaloo said. She saw Rainbow Dash walk into the room. “There’s Rainbow Dash.”

Rarity, Applejack, and Fluttershy followed Rainbow Dash in. Each of the ponies were in their own dress.

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle said, “What?”

“Applejack’s here too?” Apple Bloom said.

“So is Rarity,” Sweetie Belle said.

The Crusaders overheard the mares talking about a wedding.

“This is perfect.” Scootaloo had an idea. She went to the the front door of the bakery. The other two followed.

“Wait?” Sweetie Belle said. “What is?”

“We can apologize to our sisters now,” Scootaloo said. “Before the angry mob comes back.”

“Oh,” Sweetie Belle said.

The Crusaders opened the door, but there was a flash of light behind it.


In the skies above Canterlot, Diamond Dust and her adviser returned. They lifted a heavy telescope.

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo saw Diamond Dust and the adviser.

“Where have you been?!” Sweetie Belle said.

“We went to get you a gift,” Diamond Dust said. She gestured to the telescope.

“Kinda lousy,” Scootaloo said.

“Scootaloo,” Apple Bloom said. “Be nice.”

Diamond Dust said to the adviser, “So, why do we need this anyway?”

The adviser said, “I figured they could use it to see what ponies are really like. We shall let you look through it tomorrow.”

Diamond Dust thought, ‘Man, this guy’s getting secretive again.’

The Crusaders trotted away.

“You still haven’t told me about the seals!” Diamond Dust said.

“The seals,” the adviser said. “Oh yes, the Seven Seals. Well, if you’re still curious, just know that four of them have already been broken.”

Diamond Dust wasn’t amused. The adviser retreated into her tiara. She wondered if Silver Spoon survived her last encounter.


Twilight Sparkle was at Shining Armor’s doorstep. She knocked on the door.

Shining Armor answered it. He said, “Twili.”

Twilight was crying a little bit.

“What’s wrong?” He asked.

Twilight said, Well, I--"

Princess Cadence said from the back. "Shining Armor? I want to talk to you about that suit!"

“I gotta go,” Shining Armor said.


Shining Armor went to the back room. Princess Cadence saw what he was wearing.

She said, “I thought I told you not to wear that!”

She saw Twilight peeking through the keyhole.

“This suit was my uncle’s best suit,” Shining Armor said.

“And?” Cadence asked.

“I thought I should wear it,” Shining Armor said.

“Are you disagreeing with me?” Cadence asked.

“I guess I am.” Shining Armor started having a headache.

“Oh dear,” Cadence said. “Are you having another headache? Let me fix that.” She bowed and used a spell on Shining Armor.

When she was done, Twilight cringed.

Cadence thought, ‘The spells I’ve cast on the others aren’t strong enough to give headaches, but then again, they not the ones casting that infernal barrier.’

She and Shining Armor opened the door, only to see Twilight leave the house.

“Twili,” Shining Armor said.

Cadence observed, ‘The spell I’ve cast on you ‘honey’ has reacted to your barrier and aiding you in your futile attempt to break my control.’

“I wonder what she wanted to say,” Shining Armor said. He started having another headache.

Cadence thought, ‘But then again, unlike the others, this spell won’t influence their future thoughts. Perhaps I should fix that.’

She said, “I’m sure that it’s nothing.” She approached him and cast another spell.


The next day, Shining Armor, Spike, and Princess Celestia were at a grand hall. Spike was still playing with the cake toppers.

Princess Celestia was running everyone though the wedding. Princess Cadence entered the hall, followed by Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Rainbow Dash.


Meanwhile, Diamond Dust was looking through the telescope. She saw the rehearsal.

“Alright,” Diamond Dust said, “Is this what you wanted them to see?”

“Yes,” the adviser said. "Did you cast the spell?"

"Yes," Diamond Dust said. "For a few seconds, they should be able to hear whatever they're looking at."

Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle were nearby.

The adviser approached them and said, “Come and see.” Diamond Dust fixed the telescope in place and trotted away.

The three fillies walked towards the telescope and Apple Bloom looked through it.


“...And now the rings.” Celestia said. She looked to find that Twilight and the rings are missing.

“Hey,” Shining Armor said. ‘Anypony seen Twilight?”

The doors opened on their own and Twilight entered. She shouted, “I’m here! I’m not gonna stand next to her, and neither should you.”

The other mares looked to each other in embarrassment.

Shining Armor also had a look of embarrassment. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I don’t know why she’s acting like this.”

“Maybe we should just ignore her,” Cadence said.

You have to listen to me!” Twilight said.

Fluttershy approached her and said, “Oh, goodness. Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Twilight said.

“You sure about that?” Applejack said.

Twilight just levitated Applejack’s hat and pushed her back with it. “I have something to say!” Twilight went forward towards Cadence and pointed at her. “She’s evil!

The other mares were shocked.

Rainbow Dash thought, ‘Oh great, Twilight’s lost it.’

Twilight said, “She been horrible to my friends.” She teleported behind Cadence and approached her.

Cadence backed up in fear as Twilight continued her accusations. “She clearly has done something to her bridesmaids, and if that wasn’t enough, I just saw her made a spell that cast my brother’s eyes go all--” She turned her eyes around to illustrate her point.

The other ponies were dumbstruck.


Apple Bloom looked through the telescope in the sky. “That pony must be cruel to crash a wedding like that.”

“The worst is yet to come, I’m afraid,” the adviser said. “Come and see, and you’ll know the truth.”

Apple Bloom looked through the telescope again.


Twilight had Cadence cornered. She thought, ‘Now’s my chance.’ Tears rolled down her cheeks as she said, “Why are you doing this to me? I just wanted to marry your nice, gentle brother. Why do you hate me so much?” She then galloped away in tears.

“Because you're evil!” Twilight said. She teleported to the doors after Cadence left and bellowed “Evil! And if I don’t stop you, you’re gonna ruin my brother’s life!”

As Cadence galloped her tears dried up. “Check and mate,” she said. She trotted around the castle and went to the other side of the hall.


Apple Bloom was shocked. “How could she just do that?!” She said.

“Do what?” Sweetie Belle said.

“That pony made the bride cry,” Apple Bloom said.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo gasped.

The adviser said, “That pony is their paragon, an example of how evil these ponies truly are. Come and see, and you shall see that the other side is just as ruthless.”

Apple Bloom had had enough. She let Sweetie Belle look through the telescope. The spell that allowed the fillies to hear the confrontation had faded.


Twilight Sparkle felt triumphant. She trotted and bumped into Shining Armor. He glared at his little sheepish sister.

He began his rant, “You want to know why my eyes went all” --He mimicked Twilight's eye movement from earlier-- “Because ever since I had to start performing my protection spell, I’ve been getting terrible migraines. Cadence hasn’t been casting spells on me, she’s been using her magic to heal me!"

Shining continued his rant, “And Cadence replaced her bridesmaids because she found out the only reason they wanted to be in the wedding, was just so they could meet Canterlot royalty.”

Twilight's friends were horrified by this display.

Shining Armor continued, “And if she wasn’t on her best behavior with your friends.” He stomped his forehooves in rage. “It’s because with me being so bucking busy, she had to make all the wedding preparations by herself!

Twilight said, “I was just--”

Shining Armor interrupted her, “She was stressed out because she wanted our big day to be perfect! Something that obviously wasn't important to you!” He started having another headache. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go and comfort my bride.”

Twilight’s face had an expression of shock as her brother angrily trotted away.

He said, “And you can forget about being my best mare. In fact, If I ever see your face around here again, I’ll have you arrested for high treason!” He then left to find Cadence. Spike followed.


Sweetie Belle said, “My gosh.”

The adviser said, “Come and see, see that the ponies are heartless, cruel and sociopathic.”

Sweetie Belle let Scootaloo see through the telescope.


Twilight looked back to her friends.

Everypony glared at Twilight with emerald eyes of hatred.

From the clouds above, the adviser narrated, “That know no honesty, only deceit.”

Applejack said, “Twilight, how could spread such awful lies like that? You’re worse than when my sister became Gabby Gums, at least she had an excuse. If this is who you are when somepony gets hitched, then I want absolutely nothing to do with you!” She left in disgust.

“No kindness,” the adviser said, “only cruelty.”

Fluttershy said, ”You should know better than to accuse Cadence of something like this. I thought you were better than this.” She galloped away in tears.

“No laughter,” the adviser said, “only sorrow.”

Pinkie Pie said, “You used to be cool, you know that?” Her mane compressed and flattened. “Consider yourself uninvited from any and all parties I host.” She bounced away with contempt.

“No generosity,” the adviser said, “only greed.”

“Twilight,” Rarity said, “That was the most selfish, cruel act you have ever done. You didn’t want to share your brother with somepony else? Well I hope you’re happy, you filthy peasant.” She trotted away in disgust.

“No loyalty,” the adviser said, “only betrayal.”

Rainbow Dash said, “You know what? They’re right. Cadence didn’t change one bit. You did. Well I’m out. I have had it up to here with you.” She flew off in sorrow.

“No friendship,” the adviser said, “for they would lie to you, be ruthless and merciless to you, take anything you own and never return it, betray you, and make you cry tears of sorrow and blood. Come and see that they are a plague that must be cured.”

Twilight turned to Celestia, the only other pony left. “But I--”

“You have a lot to think about,” Celestia said. “And until you do, Twilight Sparkle, as of this moment I hereby revoke your status as my student. You are to leave Canterlot at once and do not return until you prove yourself worthy again.”

Twilight’s worst fears had been realized.

“If I find you trespassing in Canterlot again,” Celestia said. “I’ll banish you to the moon!” She trotted away.

Twilight‘s heart broke. She sulked at the altar as she realized that she lost her friends and her family all because she didn’t want her brother getting married.

She saw Cadence trotting towards her. Twilight cried and said, “I’m sorry.”

Cadence smiled then glared. “You will be!” she said.

Hellish green flames surrounded Twilight. The flames felt hotter than a thousand suns, but Twilight didn’t burn or melt from the heat of the magic flames.

The flames dragged twilight down to the depths below Canterlot.


“Now do you see?” the adviser said. "They have no harmony. They are hypocrites and sociopaths of the highest caliber. They revel in spreading misery and strife."

“I don’t believe it,” Scootaloo said.

“Their lack of empathy renders their punishments disproportionate and cruel. If you were friends with a pony maybe they will fake being nice for you, but as you can plainly see, they are as cruel as most of the monsters of Tartarus.”

“Most of the monsters?” Sweetie Belle said.

“The ponies sealed ninety percent of all the innocent souls of Equestria inside Tartarus, damned to wander its depths. They beg for the word of salvation, but it will never come unless we freeze their leader and break the seals.”

Apple Bloom looked at her sword and legguards, Sweetie Belle looked at the scales she levitated with her horn, and Scootaloo looked at her scythe and unfolded her wings.

“When do we strike?” the three asked in unison.

“Soon,” the adviser said.

PreviousChapters Next