• Published 26th May 2013
  • 5,829 Views, 38 Comments

The Path of Absolution - Punishment - Morningstar1337



Trust is a fragile thing, but not as fragile as life. The Cutie Mark Crusaders have written things, horrible things. And now they must pay the price. They, and all Equestria

  • ...
19
 38
 5,829

PreviousChapters Next
xi - Hera's Doubt

Twilight, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Pinkie Pie and the amethyst cockatrice hid in a nearby cave to escape the newly formed timberwolf. The beast passed the cave not noticing the ponies and cockatrice were inside.

“Phew,” Applejack said. “That was close.”

It had been a day since Twilight first cast her spells. She began to use her magic to make new blindfolds and cast the same spells.

“Um Twilight,” Rainbow Dash said. “Why are you making new blindfolds?” Her blindfold vanished. “Oh.”

Twilight gave everypony the new blindfolds and they put them over the old ones.

The ponies and cockatrice went out of the cave.

Applejack checked the area. “Looks like that timberwolf’s long gone.”

She was getting worried. She looked back at the cockatrice. She worried that they would be unable to free the Cutie Mark Crusaders from their petrification. She knew that they have 86 hours left until the petrification is irreversible.

“Twi?” Applejack said. “How are we gonna get the venom from the cockatrice?”

“I don't know,” Twilight said. “Fluttershy?”

Fluttershy went to the cockatrice. “Um, we still need your venom for a cure.”

The cockatrice cawed.

Fluttershy said, “Well you see, there are these fillies that you petr--”

The reptilian bird cawed again.

“Oh, I already told you that?”

The bird cawed again.

“You’re not gonna help us?” Fluttershy said.

Applejack was getting annoyed. She went to the cockatrice. “Listen here, ya no-good varment. My sister and her friends are turned to stone because of you. And --”

“Applejack,” Fluttershy said. “I can handle this.”

The cocatrice gave several caws.

“He says that it’s our fault that the Cutie Mark Crusaders are even in the forest in the first place.”

Applejack was getting mad. “That wasn't our fault. We were trying to stop the mob!”

The cockatrice cawed some more.

“He says ‘The mob that came about because of idle gossip. Gossip that you didn't stop,’” Fluttershy said.

Applejack was getting mad. She glared at the cockatrice, hidden by her blindfold but the cockatrice sensed the emotion from those hidden eyes.”

Pinkie Pie said, “Hey, wanna hear a joke? So these two ponies were in a bar. No that not right. Maybe there was a mailmare involved...”

“Let’s just get to Apple Bloom and the others okay?” Applejack said.

The mares decided to head back to Ponyville. Applejack gave a last look to the cockatrice.


Flitter, Cloudchaser and Star Song took the unconscious Silver Spoon to a hospital in Manehatten.

“So you’re saying you found this filly unconscious in the blizzard?” a unicorn doctor said.

“Of course,” Cloudchaser said. “What reason would we have for lying about this?”

“All right, I’ll see what we can do, but she had been out cold in the blizzard for a while. I’m not sure if she can survive.”

The pegasi left the hospital.

Later they saw Gale Force landing near them.

“There you are,” Gale Force said. “Is the filly safe?”

“Yeah,” Flitter said. “We took her to a nearby hospital.”

“What happened to Over Cast,” Star Song said. “Where is she?”

Gale Force bowed his head in shame. “I’m sorry, I was too late. She’s ... dead.”

The other pegasi were shocked by the news.

“Anyway,” Gale said. “We don’t have to head back to base for a while. We should probably make sure that the filly we rescued recovers first.”

The other three pegasi agreed. They flew to a hotel and made some reservations.

Meanwhile, Silver Spoon woke up in the hospital.

“Ah, you’re awake,” the doctor said.

“Where am I?” Silver Spoon said. Her glasses were hazy from the ice and snow.

The doctor took Silver Spoon’s glasses and cleaned them. “Some nice pegasi fould you collapsed in the storm in Unicorn Range,” the doctor said. “Just what were you doing there anyway?” He returned the glasses.

“I was looking for a friend.”

“And your friend was?” the doctor said.

Silver Spoon remembered what happened before she collapsed, but didn’t know the details. She did decide to tell the doctor what she does know. “My friend, she’s dead. The blizzard took her life.”

"That must have been horrible.”

“Yeah, it was.” Silver Spoon sighed.

“Well I’m afraid you’re gonna have to stay here awhile,” the doctor said. “We have to make sure you’re okay. I’ll have some nurses check on you soon.”

“I understand,” Silver Spoon said. She knew what it’s like to be waited on hoof and horseshoe.

“You were pretty lucky these pegasi found you when they did.” the doctor left the room.

Silver Spoon wondered if her family was worried about her. She knew she’s very far from Ponyville. She wondered what had happened to Diamond Dust after she fainted and worried that she will eventually freeze Equestria over. She decided to take the opportunity to rest.


In the Everfree Forest, Applejack and the group galloped as dawn arisen. Three and a half days remained before her sister and her sister’s friends would be permanently turned to stone. She wondered if there was more she could have done.

Twilight went forward to Applejack. “Applejack, is something wrong?”

“Oh,” Applejack said. “It’s nuthin. I’m just --”

“Still worried about what that cockatrice said, huh?” Twilight said.

“Yeah,” Applejack sighed.

“Listen, it wasn’t your fault.” Twilight assured. “You did your best.”

Applejack sighed again. “I know, Twi.”

The ponies and cockatrice were almost at the edge of the Everfree Forest, nearby Fluttershy’s cottage. Twilight opened the door to the cottage and saw a great big mess.

Spike was chasing Angel. “Come back here you little--”

“Spike,” Twilight interrupted.

The purple dragon saw Twilight and her friends. “Oh hey guys. Um why are you wearing blindfolds?”

“Long story,” Twilight said.

Fluttershy talked to the cockatrice again. “Now will you please make sure not to petrify the other animals?”

The amethyst cockatrice rolled it eyes and cawed like it didn’t care. It had nothing better to do than watch the ponies try to use its venom for a cure.

Spike saw the cockatrice and was worried. “Um Twilight? Why is there a cockatrice here?”

“I’ll explain later,” Twilight said. “I’ll be back to get the venom in a few hours.” Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Twilight and Spike left Fluttershy’s cottage and went their separate ways.

Applejack was still a little worried. At least she knew that Fluttershy could handle the amethyst cockatrice. She went back to the farm to make up for her and her sister’s lost time.

PreviousChapters Next